Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by The Sybian »

Finished The Jinx. Totally worth it just to build up to the final scene. Holy fuck. I've heard several conversations about that scene, knew exactly what Durst was going to say, and it still freaked me the fuck out. Was that a second, evil personality he was conversing with? What was with all the burping, anyways? Guilt and fear causing bile? It was fucking weird. Jarecki handled that interrogation perfectly.

It was interesting throughout the first interview that every time Durst lined, he did a large a big two-eyed blink.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

travzilla wrote:Just finished Orphan Black - season 3.

Definitely a show that requires paying a lot of attention (and even then it's hard to keep up with some plot points), but overall a pretty good season.

But more than anything, Tatiana Maslany is just incredible. She plays anywhere from 4 to 7 different characters (all clones of one another), usually all in the same episode, every episode, and you literally have to tell your brain its the same person each time. Each one looks, sounds and acts like an entirely different person.
She's completely deserving of her emmy nomination, and I'm sure the show should be up for all kinds of technical and production awards.
Looking forward to Season 3 coming out on Netflix. We binge watched the first two seasons, but the third wasn't available streaming anywhere that we subscribe too. The first two seasons were great, and you're right - she's an incredible actress to pull off all those parts so believably.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Burned through True Detective. Decent, but mediocre for various reasons. Enough has been written about it.

Now it's onto Mr. Robot. I've read great things.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I loved the Mr. Robot lead in The Pacific.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

ok...someone sell me on this "BoJack Horseman" show I've been hearing about. Is it good? Funny? Would my GF enjoy it?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:ok...someone sell me on this "BoJack Horseman" show I've been hearing about. Is it good? Funny? Would my GF enjoy it?
It's hysterical and also has a lot of dramatic moments. On one level it's a pretty straightforward Hollywood satire like 30 Rock but it's also about depression. The first season starts kind of slow but it really started to get going after about the fifth or sixth episode. The entire second season just killed it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:ok...someone sell me on this "BoJack Horseman" show I've been hearing about. Is it good? Funny? Would my GF enjoy it?
It's hysterical and also has a lot of dramatic moments. On one level it's a pretty straightforward Hollywood satire like 30 Rock but it's also about depression. The first season starts kind of slow but it really started to get going after about the fifth or sixth episode. The entire second season just killed it.
God damn it I want to start the second season, but I need sleep.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:
God damn it I want to start the second season, but I need sleep.
Wait a damn minute! You two are not allowed to agree on anything. Sign of the fucking apocalypse.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

duff wrote:
Wait a damn minute! You two are not allowed to agree on anything. Sign of the fucking apocalypse.
We agree on a number of things, thank you.

Just because someone supports another sports team or teams doesn't make someone a bad person. Except Delaware, he's just an asshole.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Love Bojack Horseman. I recently recommended it to two female friends, they both dig it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Speaking of hilarious animated shows, anyone else watching Rick and Morty (on adult swim, i think)?. We binged season 1 last winter, and again in the spring. Season two airing now, and season 3 has been ordered.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/embed/28JerOPNPII[/media]
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:Love Bojack Horseman. I recently recommended it to two female friends, they both dig it.
If for nothing else, it actually paints a realistic portrayal of how female are treated in the entertainment industry. Despite being animated, it's an insanely smart show.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:
Do we need to start from Season One? Or can we just jump in with Season two?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Haven't started season 2, but the first half of season one isn't thaaat slow. The way that the first session ends and the episodes aren't stand alone leads me to suggest staying from the beginning.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Agreed. Start from the beginning. Each ep is like 23-25 minutes. You could watch both seasons in an evening if you wanted.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

travzilla wrote:Just finished Orphan Black - season 3.

Definitely a show that requires paying a lot of attention (and even then it's hard to keep up with some plot points), but overall a pretty good season.

But more than anything, Tatiana Maslany is just incredible. She plays anywhere from 4 to 7 different characters (all clones of one another), usually all in the same episode, every episode, and you literally have to tell your brain its the same person each time. Each one looks, sounds and acts like an entirely different person.
She's completely deserving of her emmy nomination, and I'm sure the show should be up for all kinds of technical and production awards.
How this year is her first Emmy nomination is a crime. She is unbelievably good and like you said unrecognizable at times. Just a fantastic show.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:Agreed. Start from the beginning. Each ep is like 23-25 minutes. You could watch both seasons in an evening if you wanted.
We tried the first episode (of Bojack Horseman)...I thought it had some funny moments, but the GF's reaction? "You can tell this was written by guys in their 20's that think they are way more clever than they actually are.."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Is anyone else watching Mr. Robot? That show is sick.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
brian wrote:Agreed. Start from the beginning. Each ep is like 23-25 minutes. You could watch both seasons in an evening if you wanted.
We tried the first episode (of Bojack Horseman)...I thought it had some funny moments, but the GF's reaction? "You can tell this was written by guys in their 20's that think they are way more clever than they actually are.."
Pithy and 100% correct. Reminds me of Family Guy... and not in a good way.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Really? I really enjoyed Bojack, can't stand Family Guy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:Really? I really enjoyed Bojack, can't stand Family Guy.
Yeah, same. It's unfair to compare the two to each other because they're both animated.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm with DiS, in that I couldn't get past the first episode or two. I may give it another shot, on your recommendations, but it didn't do it for me earlier.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not everyone is going to like everything. I get that and that's fine. But it's really nothing at all like Family Guy. You might as well compare Cheers to Seinfeld because they're both sitcoms. Or Cheers to Family Guy because they both have a fat guy in them.

I'm wondering if you guys that didn't like it might not just be better off skipping head to the start of season two (and watching the two-minute "recap" that comes before it on Netflix). If you don't like that after a couple or three episodes of season two then you're just never going to like it and that's fine. If you do end up getting into it you can go back and start more or less from the beginning to "fill in the gaps".
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone watching Humans? Also another good TV show.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm a few weeks behind, but yes, I like Humans too. Especially Emily Berrington who plays Niska.

Rules:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote:I'm a few weeks behind, but yes, I like Humans too. Especially Emily Berrington who plays Niska.

Rules:

There is only one Niska.

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

BSF21 wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:I'm a few weeks behind, but yes, I like Humans too. Especially Emily Berrington who plays Niska.

Rules:

There is only one Niska.

Awesome. That has to be one of the best Firefly episodes, along with Out of Breath, in a series that really had no bad episodes.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Bensell wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

Rules:

There is only one Niska.

Awesome. That has to be one of the best Firefly episodes, along with Out of BreathGAS, in a series that really had no bad episodes.
Fixed.

Episodes go something like:

1) Out of Gas
2) Out of Gas
3) Have you seen Out of Gas?
4) War Stories (Niska's Revenge)
5) All the other great eps.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Really? I really enjoyed Bojack, can't stand Family Guy.
Yeah, same. It's unfair to compare the two to each other because they're both animated.
I should have been more clear in my criticism.

It's the tone that I find very similar, and it's a tone that grates on my nerves.

BUT, having said that, a lot of people I know and whose opinions I hold in high regard love or like one or both of the shows.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Started watching Lucky Louie. Really enjoying it, and the extremely low production quality is actually endearing. Loving the use of great standups in all of the minor characters. Knowing Jim Norton's extreme deviant sex life makes his perverted character funnier, Nick DiPaolo could read the phonebook and I would laugh, and Rick Shapiro is perfect playing crazy. I see this Louie CK guy making a name for himself. I tried watching Lucky Louie when it first came out, but couldn't get into it. Most of the show and jokes revolve around the worst aspects of marriage and parenthood. Some of the things he says to and about his kid hit home, because they are the worst thoughts I've had about being annoyed by my kids. I can't remember what he said to his kid in one scene, but it was something I was ashamed of wanting to say to my kids once. One of those moments of surprise and relief that "I'm not alone" in my shame.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:Started watching Lucky Louie. Really enjoying it, and the extremely low production quality is actually endearing. Loving the use of great standups in all of the minor characters. Knowing Jim Norton's extreme deviant sex life makes his perverted character funnier, Nick DiPaolo could read the phonebook and I would laugh, and Rick Shapiro is perfect playing crazy. I see this Louie CK guy making a name for himself. I tried watching Lucky Louie when it first came out, but couldn't get into it. Most of the show and jokes revolve around the worst aspects of marriage and parenthood. Some of the things he says to and about his kid hit home, because they are the worst thoughts I've had about being annoyed by my kids. I can't remember what he said to his kid in one scene, but it was something I was ashamed of wanting to say to my kids once. One of those moments of surprise and relief that "I'm not alone" in my shame.
I've never actually watched an entire episode, but "are you ready for the show?!" has become a part of our normal back and forth between my wife and I.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

[quote="Giff"

I've never actually watched an entire episode, but "are you ready for the show?!" has become a part of our normal back and forth between my wife and I.[/quote]

Just saw that last night. Reminds me of the time(s) I put the iPod on shuffle with the kids in the car, and a GPJ tune comes on. Mad dive to FF.

-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'm gonna go back and watch this show again. I forgot how much I loved it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

COLBERT DISSED HYDROX LONG LIVE COLBERT
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm two episodes in on Mr. Robot, and so far it's fantastic.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:OK, Seven Days In Hell was hysterical.
The high five oral sex was a tremendous plot twist.
I loved the tangent about the Norwegian court illustrator.
I'm ten minutes in and this is brilliant.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
brian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:OK, Seven Days In Hell was hysterical.
The high five oral sex was a tremendous plot twist.
I loved the tangent about the Norwegian court illustrator.
I'm ten minutes in and this is brilliant.
What was your thought at minute 15? Did I miss the live Tweeting?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I loved it. For some reason I thought it was 2 hours long, but I finished it during my lunch hour. Just absurd, but hilarious.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:I'm two episodes in on Mr. Robot, and so far it's fantastic.
Really liking it.

Watched "Limitless" premiere last night. Well made, decent acting, pilot had a good plotline and introduced the scenario well...

...until about the 45 minute mark when it took a sharp turn and became a set up for just another show with an unconventionally detective with incredible skills of deduction from a weird source (like in "Elementary," "The Mentalist," the cancelled "Forever...") who will now work with a female cop with issues.

No reason to keep watching.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's a CBS show, what did you expect? Has to be dumbed down for 55-year-olds in Topeka.