2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I can't see the image. Is that Carly saying people of faith make better leaders because they're more humble?
It's a quote allegedly made by Michelle Bachmann. It reads:
Michelle Bachmann allegedly wrote:There are those who say a border wall won't work. They just don't have the vision Donald Trump does. The Chinese built a great wall 5,000 years ago to keep illegals out. You don't see any illegal Mexicans in China.
If she did say it, the photo can't be from the same date. It has (R-MIN) next to her name, and she isn't in office. This is Fox, so maybe they would keep it there.

A brief search, and no evidence of her saying that. I made the mistake of watching a CBS News interview with her gushing over Trump, so I thought she might say it. She did say a lot of crazy shit, and the interviewer had to apologize for laughing at her at one point. The interviewer tried to interject several times to correct her completely off-base facts, but Bachmann plowed on.

-Trump is a good candidate because he is humble. (No, seriously, she said that.)
-Trump is better on foreign policy that Hilary, because "he has actually done deals in other countries." She said Trump understands the geopolitics of the world, because he has been to these countries.
Right before that she said that Fiorina has been to countries all over the world, but that was to sell computers, so it doesn't count.
-The press makes people "look crazy" when they don't like their platform. The press made her look crazy because she wanted to repeal Obamacare, "a wildly popular idea that is even more popular today."
-Katie Couric made Palin look bad with her "gotcha question" (what newspaper do you read), but Palin was proven to have better foreign policy chops than Obama, because Russia.

The best was her rant on the Iran deal. The deal "guarantees Iran will have nuclear weapons in 10 years," and "requires the U.S. to safeguard" Iran's nuclear weapons program. When the interviewer told her she is completely off base, Bachmann told her the Admin is lying, and that is what the deal actually says. Like her 2012 campaign manager said, she takes bits and pieces of things she hears, doesn't validate anything, and spits out whatever she cobbles together from what she hears. she doesn't care to look into anything or fact check, like when she said the HPV vaccine causes mental retardation, because some woman told her that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I was reading through a reddit post with the original image and it looks to be something that originated from 9gag.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Thanks for the info. I'll remove the image.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Technically this is for the Canadian election I think, but he'd probably look to expand his jurisdiction.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Something amusing just occurred to me. I wonder what church Donald Trump regularly attends?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Something amusing just occurred to me. I wonder what church Donald Trump regularly attends?
That was somewhat addressed by Trump. He suddenly had a change of theological philosophy, and digs Jesus.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So I'm not looking for info like this, as I try to generally stay away from this clownshow. But I learned a bit about Ted Cruz' wife, Heidi Nelson Cruz. Member of the Council of Foreign Relations. On a leave of absence from her position as a managing director at a big wall street bank. Wanna guess which one? It rhymes with Moldman Knachs. No wonder this guy is considered a serious candidate.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

1. If Obama can 'evolve' on something as seemingly fundamental as gay marriage, why can't Trump evolve on being a Christian? Jeeze. People evolve already. My guess is The Don read that bit about how JC cleared the money-lenders from the temple. TD has never been friendly to the money lenders; he defaults on debts he owes them. And the clearing in question was obviously the precursor to a fabulous high-rise condo development on that sight. TD can relate to that a lot more than he can get behind pacifist slackers with no style like Buddha or Hindu or those others. If Jesus was alive today, Trump would want him involved in his next real estate deal. Now that's good religion.

2. Goldman Sachs is no longer any threat to the economy or a power-player behind the political scenes. Because Dodd-Franks or whatever it was. You know, how we're being saved from the clutches of the big banks by our democratically-elected servants in politics who are all for the working American family? Cruz has a working wife. Are you an anti-feminist who just wants her to stay at home baking cookies? Presumably they have servants for that.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote: And the clearing in question was obviously the precursor to a fabulous high-rise condo development on that sight.
So, TD will be the developer for the Third Temple. Frightening how much sense that makes.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So Jeb! clarifies his "anchor babies" comment:
"What I was talking about was the specific case of fraud being committed where there's organized efforts -- and frankly it's more related to Asian people -- coming into our country, and having children, in that organized effort, taking advantage of a noble concept, which is birthright citizenship,” said Bush, adding, "I support the 14th amendment.”
Remember when we were told that "Jeb! is the smart one"?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
I have been surprised at what a bumbling idiot he is. How many times can he say something, get criticized, then come back and explain how what he meant by his statement was the exact opposite of what he said.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You kind of root for HW to die sooner rather than later and avoid watching this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:You kind of root for HW to die sooner rather than later and avoid watching this.
Give him a nasty joke. I'm kinda 50/50 on you being some sort of harbinger of death.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Johnnie wrote:
Keg wrote:(My wife bought me one of those giant "make america great again" hats from the Trump campaign. I have a new drinkin hat!)
Are you a friend on Facebook? I got one too!
This guy makes me want to burn my trump hat:

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/08/trump ... get-out-my" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I refuse to get worked up about anything Trump or his folks say or do, it would be giving the guy too much credit. I'll just sit back and laugh at the clown show while rocking my nifty new boat hat.

(I am not on facebook)
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
I have been surprised at what a bumbling idiot he is. How many times can he say something, get criticized, then come back and explain how what he meant by his statement was the exact opposite of what he said.
I remember how W used to start many of his speeches, statements or answers by going to the subtext. He'd explain what his intended message was and then ramble on about things that occasionally contradicted the message.

At this point, I wonder if there IS a smart one.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

There is. Barbara.

Barbara Bush Calls White House To See If She Can Leave Husband There For Few Hours
WASHINGTON—Saying she had a busy afternoon ahead and could use some time to herself, former First Lady Barbara Bush reportedly called the White House Wednesday to see if she could leave her husband there for a few hours.

“I have to run some errands, and it’d be so much easier if I could just leave George somewhere he’s comfortable and not have to worry about him,” said Mrs. Bush over the phone, emphasizing that she would be back to pick up the 41st president of the United States before he became too much of a handful for anyone.

“He’s already familiar with the place and knows a lot of the people there. You can just let him wander around, or if he starts getting in your way, just sit him down in the Blue Room with a book or the annual budget and he’ll be perfectly happy. Plus I’ll pack him some Fig Newtons, so you won’t have to worry about feeding him at all.”

At press time, it had been five hours and Mrs. Bush had not returned. Image

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Trump trying to pander to the religious right is fucking high comedy...

Probably equal!!!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"I celebrate His entire catalog."
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Drew Magary has been on the Trump beat for gq and his stuff is sharp in that arena too - I think his take on this in this piece is pretty spot on:

http://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-castrating-jeb-gop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On this week’s episode of The Donald Trump Show, Donald got himself in some hot water—again?! Oh, that Donald!—when he booted Univision anchor Jorge Ramos from a press conference and doubled down on bashing Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly, because why insult her once when you can insult her twice? He also posted this old video of Barbara Bush saying she hopes Jeb doesn't run for president because "there have been enough Bushes." Donald Trump is gleefully pissing all over his opponents just for the fun of it, and his lead is growing as a result. Now he's even cowed Fox News head Roger Ailes into demanding an apology that Trump will never, ever give.

As any right-winger will tell you, it's usually liberals who do the apology-demanding. Under normal circumstances, Roger Ailes would rather be shot into the sun than appear offended by something. His audience is the “sorry not sorry” portion of the American electorate. But that is the current predicament Trump has put the GOP in. He has taken the normal, polished GOP stances against immigration and women and made them so loud and so outrageous that his colleagues on the right are left with two distinctly unpalatable choices:

Option 1: Denounce Trump and risk alienating the most rabid conservative bros. This is what Ailes has done.

Option 2 (and this is where it gets fun): MATCH Trump in his obnoxiousness. This, according to The New York Times, is what Jeb! plans to do:

After enduring those slings and arrows for weeks, to the mounting dismay of supporters, Mr. Bush, the former Florida governor, and his aides have decided to venture outside their comfort zone and borrow a page from Mr. Trump’s playbook: Hit back, with force and creativity, over and over again in the coming weeks… Mr. Bush called Mr. Trump’s immigration plan “unrealistic,” described his policies as un-Republican and acidly recommended that the businessman read Mr. Bush’s book “Immigration Wars” to acquaint himself with a practical solution.

OOOH, WHAT A SICK BURN. Nothing cows a bully like asking him to read a book! Poor Jeb. He thought this whole nomination thing would be so easy, since he had all the money and all the nepotism. Now Trump is forcing him to act like a prick, and it doesn’t suit him, and he’s just so bad at it. Fox News, Jeb—Trump has pretty much everyone else back on their heels. He even got that goblin pollster Frank Luntz to shill for him after calling him a “slob” in public!

And so now, we get to watch as all those shadow kingmakers in the GOP make the agonizing choice of pitifully copying Trump, or meekly disavowing him. He has them cornered. With his sizable lead, he can toy with these fuckers all he likes, which makes him both terrifying and oddly endearing. After all, this is exactly what these goddamn morons all deserve. For years, extreme conservatives have dressed up ugly ideas in the guise of family values. And now, at long last, here is a man who is megaphoning their shitty ideas all over the place and exposing the Republican Party to a horrified general public. He’s lifted the veil. And now party bosses can’t figure out a way to beat him, because they haven’t realized—and may never realize—that the only way to stop Donald Trump is to have better ideas than the shitty ones they already have.

It's gonna be a fun year.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh man - the look on Trump's face when he said the bible and gave the thumbs up to the crowd!

I had a psychic flash and could read what was going through his mind at that moment: "Fucking rubes!"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What's your favorite bible verse?

Ummm, any of 'em. All of 'em.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:What's your favorite bible verse?

I'm going to say that I just love what Trump is (unintentionally) doing. It's like a satire of the entire political process and what it has become. And for the other GOP candidates to decry his racist, sexist statements, considering what members of their own party act like towards women and minorities, makes the whole thing even more fun to watch.

Sure he's now found religion. Why not? They all have!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh, I agree completely. It's mad fun.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

On some days I really do believe he's in on it and this is all the most elaborate piece of performance art in American history.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:On some days I really do believe he's in on it and this is all the most elaborate piece of performance art in American history.
The end game will be priceless.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:On some days I really do believe he's in on it and this is all the most elaborate piece of performance art in American history.
I mean can you imagine? Imagine if this is being filmed for a documentary and he's filming daily talking heads about how stupid this country is. I'd pay like $100 to see that documentary. No joke.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
I mean can you imagine? Imagine if this is being filmed for a documentary and he's filming daily talking heads about how stupid this country is. I'd pay like $100 to see that documentary. No joke.
Christ - if only Robert Altman was alive to shoot it.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Pruitt wrote:Christ - if only Robert Altman was alive to shoot it.
He never would've cast Trump. Definitely Tim Robbins.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:What's your favorite bible verse?

I had the same thought, and just saw a clip of Palin praising Trump. I don't know why i felt compelled to watch, but I'll spare the rest of you the link. Her voice and sing-songy tone would drive me nuts in any context, but while discussing the feasibility of political platforms? Fuck. I think her voicey-toney thing has gotten tremendously worse, or maybe I just haven't heard her speak in a really long time. Anyways, I thought the clip was going to be Palin bashing Trump, but boy howdy does she love some Donald. When asked if Trumps immigration plan is feasible, "heck yeah! It's what most Americans want, but don't have a microphone to speak into." "Everyone knows a wall is the best solution, and it's easy. It's a wall!" She thinks America loves Donald, because "he has Joe Sixpack ideas" and is looking out for Joe Sixpack. Tha Fuck? He does have Joe Sixpack ideas, in that they are fucking idiotic and childlike, but is anyone delusional enough to think Donald gives a fuck about anyone but Donald? How does this fucking Bimbo still have a platform to speak from?

I can't help but believe Trump is somewhat aware of the ridiculousness, but his ego and delusions of grandeur are off the charts, so who knows. I love the idea that this is performance art, or he made an elaborate bet. I just love how Fox and the GOP created the perfect conditions for this embarrassment, and they can't control the beast. I heard a great clip of a GOP strategist, can't think of her name, but she looks like a younger, hotter Dana Perino. She always tows the Fox/GOP line, but she was saying the GOP and Fox's use of fear mongering is to blame for Trumps popularity. She said Trump's popularity is exposing the GOP base in a horrible way. If nothing else, Trump is making it really hard for the intelligent Conservatives to defend the GOP.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:Trump is making it really hard for the intelligent Conservatives to defend the GOP.
Name 5....
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Goldman Sachs Board of Directors. :^)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
She thinks America loves Donald, because "he has Joe Sixpack ideas" and is looking out for Joe Sixpack. Tha Fuck? He does have Joe Sixpack ideas, in that they are fucking idiotic and childlike, but is anyone delusional enough to think Donald gives a fuck about anyone but Donald?
Not the first politician that could be said of.

In the eight years since Sarah Palin was vomited forth onto the national scene, not much has changed in the Republican party, only the lunatics have come closer to taking over that particular asylum. Chickens coming home to roost and all that.

I remember the brief "Joe Sixpack" nonsense with a shudder - maybe the moment when political discourse was dragged down to the intellectual level of a half time conversation in a football stadium washroom.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

He may be the candidate least likely to have ever even met a Joe Sixpack though.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:The Goldman Sachs Board of Directors. :^)
That is funny. But, a primary belief in massive government handouts is hardly conservative. If not for welfare, Goldman Sachs dies in September 2008, and wouldn't the world be better off?

One of the symptoms of what ails the body politic is the terms conservative and liberal are nearly meaningless. A pair of empty words that are most often used as insults to label opponents, and frequently used to self-label as a lie to supporters.

Of politicians and people on tv, nearly all 'conservatives' are not conservative; almost every 'liberal' is not liberal, by the broadly accepted meanings of those terms just as of a couple of decades ago.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:Bimbo
Capitalized out of respect to Palin, obviously.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's good to have Bloom County back.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh god...Peggy Noonan is doing the writing thing again...

Through the vodka martini ("its whats for breakfast!") haze, Nooners has some great insight...
Something is going on, some tectonic plates are moving in interesting ways. My friend Cesar works the deli counter at my neighborhood grocery store. He is Dominican, an immigrant, early 50s, and listens most mornings to a local Hispanic radio station, La Mega, on 97.9 FM. Their morning show is the popular “El Vacilón de la Mañana,” and after the first GOP debate, Cesar told me, they opened the lines to call-ins, asking listeners (mostly Puerto Rican, Dominican, Mexican) for their impressions. More than half called in to say they were for Mr. Trump. Their praise, Cesar told me a few weeks ago, dumbfounded the hosts. I later spoke to one of them, who identified himself as D.J. New Era. He backed Cesar’s story. “We were very surprised,” at the Trump support, he said. Why? “It’s a Latin-based market!”
Where to start...

1-"Her Friend Cesar"! At the deli counter! Quick Peggy...what's his last name? What's his partners name? What part of town does he live in? Just how good a friend is he?

2-She's basing her observation on a supposed conversation with a supposed friend? Thomas Friendman's Cab Driver is saying "Stop mowing my lawn!".

3-Remember, Peggy Noonan is batshit crazy. This was the woman who in 2012 was convinced that Romney was going to win because "all the vibrations [were] right”.

4-More Noonan batshittery....she has an unspeakable Reagan foot fetish:
I first saw President Reagan as a foot, highly polished brown cordovan wagging merrily on a hassock. I spied it through the door. It was a beautiful foot, sleek. Such casual elegance and clean lines! But not a big foot, not formidable, maybe a little ...frail. I imagined cradling it in my arms, protecting it from unsmooth roads.
5-She also believes in magic dolphins:
F rom the beginning it was a story marked by the miraculous. It was a miracle a six-year-old boy survived the storm at sea and floated safely in an inner tube for two days and nights toward shore; a miracle that when he tired and began to slip, the dolphins who surrounded him like a contingent of angels pushed him upward; a miracle that a fisherman saw him bobbing in the shark-infested waters and scooped him aboard on the morning of Nov. 25, 1999, the day celebrated in America, the country his mother died bringing him to, as Thanksgiving.
That column also gave us the great "Is it irresponsible to speculate? It is irresponsible not to".

Can you tell I hate Peggy Noonan? How people like her, William Kristol, and others continue to get paid to bloviate just kills me...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Kristol and Krauthammer are the absolutely worst. Just looking at their smug faces makes me violent. I recently heard a comedian or somebody talk about how certain people just have faces you want to punch. They fit the bill perfectly even before they speak. They are both dead wrong on just about every prediction they make, and they continue confidently projecting with such confidence and arrogance, while belittling anyone who disagrees.
-Pruitt