EPL May 2013

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Re: EPL May 2013

Post by garyclark »

Rams Fanny wrote:
garyclark wrote:Eh. Sunderland are safe now too.

Looks like Wigan are in real trouble, and Southhampton will be the victims if Wigan triumph.
I believe it's the other way around. Sunderland are on 39 and can go down if they lose next week and Wigan win remaining two. Only Sunderland, Aston Villa, and Wigan can be relegated as of now.
That's right. Swore I heard that Sunderland were safe on FSC.

And cerrano, being a Newcastle fan is "interesting" enough. Plus, Sunderland could use a dose of the Championship. Never forget:

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

garyclark wrote:
Rams Fanny wrote:
garyclark wrote:Eh. Sunderland are safe now too.

Looks like Wigan are in real trouble, and Southhampton will be the victims if Wigan triumph.
I believe it's the other way around. Sunderland are on 39 and can go down if they lose next week and Wigan win remaining two. Only Sunderland, Aston Villa, and Wigan can be relegated as of now.
That's right. Swore I heard that Sunderland were safe on FSC.

And cerrano, being a Newcastle fan is "interesting" enough. Plus, Sunderland could use a dose of the Championship. Never forget:

Fuck that snot nosed brat. LETS GO WIGAN!

oh, and Mancini has been sacked. Per everyone.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Be nice, cerrano. Since the kid is a Sunderland fan, it's clear he's been emotionally abused.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I am way too nervous for a home fixture against Wigan. Fuck. Let's hope for another Walcott special in the opening minute to ease the pressure. Hopefully this time they follow up with a second.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Watching the FA Cup this weekend was fantastic - a true sporting thrill for me.

Yet as a Villa fan....come the fuck on Arsenal...just end this today.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:I am way too nervous for a home fixture against Wigan. Fuck. Let's hope for another Walcott special in the opening minute to ease the pressure. Hopefully this time they follow up with a second.
Wrong guy, but you got your early goal.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:I am way too nervous for a home fixture against Wigan. Fuck. Let's hope for another Walcott special in the opening minute to ease the pressure. Hopefully this time they follow up with a second.
Not exactly the opening minute, but that will do somewhat.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Or not.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
Wrong guy, but you got your early goal.

And I missed it, too.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

arse back on its heals this half so far. wigan playing with much more urgency.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feo!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

i'm a jinx. you owe me, syb.

eta: punctuation.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote:i'm a jinx. you owe me syb.

Free beers at my place! THEO!!!!!!! Right as I promised my secretary I'd celebrate by running around with my shirt off if Arsenal scored.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote:

Free beers at my place! THEO!!!!!!! Right as I promised my secretary I'd celebrate by running around with my shirt off if Arsenal scored.
what does she get if they score another? (podolski)

a tasty sexual harassment settlement.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sunderland, Villa, Southampton, and Fulham fans should all be breathing easier now.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I wonder when the last time both the league champions and all three relegation teams have all been sorted before the last game of the season. The only thing that's still to be determined is who gets the final Champions League spot. After today, Arsenal will be ahead of Spurs by one point, with Spurs hosting Sunderland and Arsenal at Newcastle this weekend.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote:I wonder when the last time both the league champions and all three relegation teams have all been sorted before the last game of the season. The only thing that's still to be determined is who gets the final Champions League spot. After today, Arsenal will be ahead of Spurs by one point, with Spurs hosting Sunderland and Arsenal at Newcastle this weekend.
A nondescript end to a nondescript season. Fitting.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

what does she get if they score another? (podolski)

a tasty sexual harassment settlement.
Nah, one of the prongs is that she has to actually be offended. She is impossible to offend. I did come running out whilst unbuttoning my shirt then ran back into my office and ccame out with my jacket, swinging that wildly over my head like an idiot. I was spent after that game. St. Totteringham's Day is coming too late for my tastes.
-Pruitt
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

Sabo wrote:I wonder when the last time both the league champions and all three relegation teams have all been sorted before the last game of the season. The only thing that's still to be determined is who gets the final Champions League spot. After today, Arsenal will be ahead of Spurs by one point, with Spurs hosting Sunderland and Arsenal at Newcastle this weekend.
The South will destroy the North next week.

Or to put it another way, King's Landing will lay siege to Winterfell.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

If Arsenal wins 2-1 and Chelsea ties 0-0 (or 3-2, 1-1 etc) then they have to figure out when the hell to play a playoff for the final spot.

I'm desperately rooting for this to happen.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Really, not one comment today? I'd like to thanks Newcastle for deciding not to come out and play for the first 35 minutes of the second half. Not sure what happened, but after having the better run of play in the first half, the Magpies just didn't come to play in the second half until after Tottenham scored, and then suddenly they came to life, which is also a bit bizarre. The last 10 minutes were nervy and exciting as hell, especially as Theo danced through the defense and seemingly walked in on goal only to hit the post. I really thought Arsenal would go from having it wrapped up with Spurs tying to Spurs winning and Newcastle netting a late equalizer to complete an epic, shocking turn of events. It really felt like that was destined to happen. But man, Koscielny had a huge game. Mertesacker looked like a gangly traffic cone all day, getting smoked horrible on numerous occasions. Arsenal desperately need a top class striker next season. Maybe even two.
-Pruitt
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

Thank god that's over and I can stop checking every nuance of the betting markets and injury reports. Easily the most nerve-wracking 90 minutes experienced since the days when Arsenal actually were competing for things, I don't think I've ever been happier to hear the final whistle blow.

4th isn't much in the big scheme of things, but it's something to build on, especially as this should be the least disruptive summer for the squad in a long, long time. Can't exactly say that about City, Chelsea and maybe even United, though the first two are sure to spunk another few hundred million in order to try to maintain their 2-5 point advantage over us. Bring in a quality striker, a proper box-to-box player and a strong keeper to compete with Szczcznzy and next year should be a bit less excruciating.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BTTG wrote:Thank god that's over and I can stop checking every nuance of the betting markets and injury reports. Easily the most nerve-wracking 90 minutes experienced since the days when Arsenal actually were competing for things, I don't think I've ever been happier to hear the final whistle blow.

4th isn't much in the big scheme of things, but it's something to build on, especially as this should be the least disruptive summer for the squad in a long, long time. Can't exactly say that about City, Chelsea and maybe even United, though the first two are sure to spunk another few hundred million in order to try to maintain their 2-5 point advantage over us. Bring in a quality striker, a proper box-to-box player and a strong keeper to compete with Szczcznzy and next year should be a bit less excruciating.

Finally, another Arsenal fan to bitch with! I think the 2 Poles battling it out and gaining the wisdom of maturity and experience is good enough, though I wouldn't be opposed to a world class keeper being brought in. The two Poles played well this year, and kept the gaffes to a minimum. Sczezny is still what, 24 or so? He is improving each year, and has the makings of a world class keeper. Get him the experience, and he will get there. Keep Wilshere healthy for a year, and you have your midfield set. Cazorla has been a G-dsend. If Gervino could find the net, or more importantly a soft final touch before his shot, he would be a class winger. Giroud scored 17, which is a great return, but I am not at all sold on him as an answer up front. He is so damned slow, and he disappears for 88 minutes at a time more games than not. He has a good nose for goal, but he isn't capable of creating his own chances, and I don't think he is the right type of player to fit into Arsenal's team. They need at least one high quality striker with pace and size. Altidore! (just kidding), Maybe Rooney would work out well, that'd be interesting if nothing else.

What's your thought on Mertesacker? Everything I read praises him to high heaven, but I think he is too slow and he gets caught flat footed way too often. He just looks like a baby horse standing for the first time when a forward switches directs on him. The guy always plays hard and with a lot of heart, but he is just too slow!
-Pruitt
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

The Sybian wrote:Finally, another Arsenal fan to bitch with! I think the 2 Poles battling it out and gaining the wisdom of maturity and experience is good enough, though I wouldn't be opposed to a world class keeper being brought in. The two Poles played well this year, and kept the gaffes to a minimum. Sczezny is still what, 24 or so? He is improving each year, and has the makings of a world class keeper. Get him the experience, and he will get there. Keep Wilshere healthy for a year, and you have your midfield set. Cazorla has been a G-dsend. If Gervino could find the net, or more importantly a soft final touch before his shot, he would be a class winger. Giroud scored 17, which is a great return, but I am not at all sold on him as an answer up front. He is so damned slow, and he disappears for 88 minutes at a time more games than not. He has a good nose for goal, but he isn't capable of creating his own chances, and I don't think he is the right type of player to fit into Arsenal's team. They need at least one high quality striker with pace and size. Altidore! (just kidding), Maybe Rooney would work out well, that'd be interesting if nothing else.

What's your thought on Mertesacker? Everything I read praises him to high heaven, but I think he is too slow and he gets caught flat footed way too often. He just looks like a baby horse standing for the first time when a forward switches directs on him. The guy always plays hard and with a lot of heart, but he is just too slow!
I am fine with Mertesacker for another year, maybe two, obviously not long-term given his age. His position play is very good and his lack of pace is usually only exposed when his partner pushes too high up the pitch, something Vermaelen does all the time but Kos is much more conscientious about. It also helped that this year Arteta protected the back four and could compensate if a defender was out of position much better than Alex Song ever did (Song is one Arsenal departee I have never and will never miss). I would love to sell Vermaelen, buy a £5-7 million centre half with a good injury record for the squad, and either bring back Djourou or promote someone like Miquel as a 4th option.

Keeper is the least worrying position but I'm not convinced the club sees Szczyny as a long-term option. It would be a shame to miss out on his potential but I would still take Begovic or Mignolet any day of the week if the price is right. Cesar would be an OK option on a free but you don't have to pay keepers the wages QPR gave him and he would only be a short-term fix.

We'll never buy Rooney and don't think we'd even want to - don't get me wrong, we would be better with him, but you get too many attitude problems and probably the wrong side of his career for a high transfer and wage cost. The Higuain rumours are intriguing. I am happy with Giroud, if only because his suspension showed we have no one who can hold the ball up since RVP's departure. I disagree that he doesn't fit in, as we're thankfully a different kind of team these days, much less one-dimensional and insistent on passing the ball in to the goal - I am all in favour of keeping him. If the Gervinho to Lyon rumours are true, we should take what we can get and use that and the transfer kitty towards a major talent to pair with Giroud.

We can afford to sell Bendtner, Chamakh, Denilson, Vermaelen, Gervinho. That maybe gets us £15 million in fees and with Arshavin and Squillaci now gone, all of the sudden we'd cleared close to £20-25 million in annual wages in the process. Use that £35 million plus the new £30 million a year in Emirates money plus the supposed £70 million kitty (though I think that's a pile of BS put out by the club to the media) and get amongst it. An actual title might be too much to expect but we certainly should be competitive and win a domestic cup from that.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

this is sublime. (the good kind. not the band.)

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie will enjoy this:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/datAA?utm_ ... gn=arsenal

RvP fires back at Piers Morgan for a seasons worth of douchey tweets about him. Props to van Persie. I probably shouldn't enjoy this as much as I do, but I hate hate Piers so much, and van Persie played it so well after, AFAIK, not responding all year. I really don't blame RvP for leaving at all. ManU approximately doubled his salary, and Arsenal haven't been willing to do what is necessary to compete for titles. He remained classy throughout and only said great things about the club, never stirred up shit like Nasri.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So, when does Man U purchase Fellaini? He'd be a great replacement for the outgoing Scholes and midfielder Rooney.