No votes
Keep him for now, but a short leash based on performance in 2018 qualifying
50%

Total votes: 14

howard
Karl Hungus

So, Klinsman

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Re: So, Klinsman

Post by brian »

I refuse to believe he's on the hot seat unless Gulati doesn't like him. If the U.S. Struggles in WCQ maybe. For now he's fine.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'm curious the Swamp opinion on his job performance, more than a prediction of his job stability.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I assume that's another strategically planted article like the one right before our huge run in qualifying?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I real have no beef with him. The U.S. looks better than it has in the country's history.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:I real have no beef with him. The U.S. looks better than it has in the country's history.
At times. Then there are the moments like the Gold Cup. They looked like dog shit the entire tournament, except for the game against the Cuban players not athletic enough to escape. They have been so unpredictable in their play. One week they beat Germany and Holland away, 2 weeks later they look like shit against Jamaica, Panama and Honduras and Haiti. Haiti FFS! I just don't know what to make of Jurgen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I guess I don't fully understand his decisions with who makes the pool and then who makes the final 18. Some of the best efforts in Europe didn't see the Gold Cup roster. Smart, clever whole field back to front possession in Europe was lost to whatever the fuck that was from the Gold Cup roster.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:I guess I don't fully understand his decisions with who makes the pool and then who makes the final 18. Some of the best efforts in Europe didn't see the Gold Cup roster. Smart, clever whole field back to front possession in Europe was lost to whatever the fuck that was from the Gold Cup roster.
I got the impression he was just using the Gold Cup to test out some of the younger/less established guys with an eye to the next cycle. Which I'm okay with.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
joeyclams
Maude Lebowski

Post by joeyclams »

howard wrote:I'm curious the Swamp opinion on his job performance, more than a prediction of his job stability.
What coach would have the US in a better position? he's introduced a huge number of players and the us is arguably the deepest it's ever been. i seriously doubt another coach would have the us any better than they are now.

if there were better options out there, i might think he's gotta perform. But there aren't so i highly doubt he's under any real pressure.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

joeyclams wrote:
howard wrote:I'm curious the Swamp opinion on his job performance, more than a prediction of his job stability.
What coach would have the US in a better position? he's introduced a huge number of players and the us is arguably the deepest it's ever been. i seriously doubt another coach would have the us any better than they are now.

if there were better options out there, i might think he's gotta perform. But there aren't so i highly doubt he's under any real pressure.
Bob Bradley? Nice run in Egypt and what he is doing in the Tippeligaen is crazy (but it will be tough now that he sold his top goal scorer--2nd in the league--- to Hull)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Wasn't the US at or getting to the point where it was the best it's ever been before he showed up?

I don't know a lot about soccer, but people also defend Goodell by saying the NFL is as popular as it's ever been. I remember a team sucking and a goalie playing out of his mind, not a coaching masterpiece in the most recent game that non-soccer peeps cared about.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The U.S. is essentially a mid-major when it comes to soccer so you have to be realistic about goals and outcomes. Losing to Belgium in an elimination game is not a bad outcome for the U.S.

We should expect to win Gold Cups, but losing one game to Jamaica doesn't get you fired. Like I said, as long as qualifying goes smoothly, his job is safe until the 2018 World Cup. I suspect he'll move on after that anyway. It's unheard of for coaches to remain for three World Cup cycles. My guess is US Soccer will keep him at near his current salary and let him keep his technical director title and essentially make him a "general manager". Frankly, that's probably his perfect role since he struggles sometimes with in-game strategy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:The U.S. is essentially a mid-major when it comes to soccer so you have to be realistic about goals and outcomes. Losing to Belgium in an elimination game is not a bad outcome for the U.S.

We should expect to win Gold Cups, but losing one game to Jamaica doesn't get you fired. Like I said, as long as qualifying goes smoothly, his job is safe until the 2018 World Cup. I suspect he'll move on after that anyway. It's unheard of for coaches to remain for three World Cup cycles. My guess is US Soccer will keep him at near his current salary and let him keep his technical director title and essentially make him a "general manager". Frankly, that's probably his perfect role since he struggles sometimes with in-game strategy.
I can't see Jurgen's job being in danger. At least not yet. The team played like shit the entire Gold Cup, not just against Jamaica. I agree Jurgen used the Cup to test some young players, but he doesn't seem to be able to get the right mix of players, and doesn't get the right players for his gameplan. The US has enough depth to play well in several different formations, but I get the sense Jurgen can't decide how to go forward. I'd like to see Jurgen build a team around a strategy for a couple of years leading into Russia. He royally fucked up building the Brazil squad around Jozy, then failing to bring a second player who can play Jozy's role, or having the personnel to play a different style. I'd really like to see afirst string back 4 emerge, especially a central defender pairing, so they can get experience playing together.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Am I the only one who hates the idea of playing in RFK on Labor Day weekend?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. Why? Its an inconsequential friendly.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

This team is shit. Don't know if its no Bradley or what bit zero possession and zero offensive threat.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Really fun game at RFK last night. Took my son, daughter, niece, nephew, and a cousin who just graduated from college. Just over 28K and a ton of Peru fans. Guzan was pretty high off his line on the deflection goal. Altidore's perfromance was up and down. Very heavy touch most of the night, but did a good job coming back to get the ball and hold it (i.e. much better with his back to the goal than facing it). Ream had a very nice night. Yedlin's speed opens up lots down the wing but he needs to do something about it. It was very noticeable of how often the U.S. forwards were up with the ball and midfield was back with the fullbacks and not getting out. That gap really hurt. Jones is a really good player but you can see his game in decline. Nice not to see him in the back line though. Mix coming on was a big difference in control of the ball and creating chances. US Clearly miss Bradley connecting the front and back.

You can complain about RFK but it is a great place to watch a game (the rest of it is a dump) and DC Events/DC United do a very good job having a high quality playing surface.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Game must have changed a lot in the second half. Few more chances toward the end of the first but still second best by a long shot.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brazil is very good.
Jurgen made some strange decisions
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I keep waiting for the international talent that Jurgen is so happy with to show itself favorably.