College Football Week 2

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

College Football Week 2

Post by brian »

Big game is Oregon at Michigan State of course. Went 2-1 on my picks last week (hit USC and Duke, lost on BG).

Lots of picks I like this week. I'll winnow this down to about 3 games to bet real money on, but this is my first draft:

FSU -28 (vs. South Florida)
Bowling Green +7.5 (at Maryland)
Syracuse -4.5 (vs. Wake Forest)
Toledo +21.5 (at Arkansas)
WMU -4 (at Ga. Southern)
Arizona -11 (at Nevada)
Oregon +3.5 (at Michigan St.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: College Football Week 2

Post by Pruitt »

I'm not a huge College Football fan, but I did watch UCLA play last week. Liked the QB, and have since seen a number of stories in the Jewish press hyping this kid.

And while he is clearly not very observant, one day he could be part of a very exclusive tribe...

...Jewish QBs in the NFL:
Though Benny Friedman and Sid Luckman -- playing before the 1950s -- made the Hall of Fame, Jay Fielder and Sage Rosenfels are the only two modern-era Jewish NFL quarterbacks.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Why is Bowling Green getting you hard? And are you betting with or against them?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Howard, my wife just forwarded her alma mater's schedule to me so we can pick out some games. Looks like UC-Davis is coming to town for Homecoming. GO UNC Bears!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:Why is Bowling Green getting you hard? And are you betting with or against them?
BG is probably the best team in the MAC. They were getting 22 points against Tennessee and scored 30 points and 500 yards of total offense (against an SEC team here). If their defense hadn't shit all over itself, it was an easy cover. Maryland would probably go about 3-3 in the MAC West. I might put a bet on BG to win this game outright as well.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Northern Colorado, right? UCD Aggies are a good homecoming choice; D1 has not been good to them. The guys I went to school with who were coaching retired two years ago, I don't know a soul associated with the program anymore.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Northern Colorado, right?
Greeley, Colorado. The town that smells like the stockyards.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote:I'm not a huge College Football fan, but I did watch UCLA play last week. Liked the QB, and have since seen a number of stories in the Jewish press hyping this kid.

And while he is clearly not very observant, one day he could be part of a very exclusive tribe...

...Jewish QBs in the NFL:
Though Benny Friedman and Sid Luckman -- playing before the 1950s -- made the Hall of Fame, Jay Fielder and Sage Rosenfels are the only two modern-era Jewish NFL quarterbacks.
I wondered if he is Jewish. Observant or not, the kid had a hell of a start. UVA actually has a decent D, particularly in the backfield, but he had no trouble with them at. good accuracy, composure and decision making. Not too many true freshmen could throw for 355 in their first start.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Syracuse -4.5 (vs. Wake Forest)
I like this, too, especially considering I had seen -5.5 going as the number. Please know, Syracuse lost their starting QB in mid-first quarter last week and is rolling with a freshman. Happy to provide more info if you want it, here or by other means.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:
howard wrote:Why is Bowling Green getting you hard? And are you betting with or against them?
BG is probably the best team in the MAC. They were getting 22 points against Tennessee and scored 30 points and 500 yards of total offense (against an SEC team here). If their defense hadn't shit all over itself, it was an easy cover. Maryland would probably go about 3-3 in the MAC West. I might put a bet on BG to win this game outright as well.

Got it.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:
Didn't BGSU return something like 1 defensive starter?

(Yeah another was Eilar Hardy, but it wasn't pretty)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Missouri was bet down from -13.5 to -10.5 at Arkansas State today. If that number gets single digits I'd consider taking them in my picks column.

I was 7-2-1 this week after being brutal last year. Missed Alabama and Boise State.

I'd consider taking Rice at the points (15.5) at this point -- Texas just swapped playcallers. Yes, after week one.

I like the Utah line at -13.5. Chuckie struggled last week.

ETA: I also wouldn't be surprised to see that WMU number come down if people don't remember that Kevin Ellison is suspended still. GaSo looked like hot trash in Morgantown and he's a huge, huge loss. At 3, I really like WMU.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:Northern Colorado, right? UCD Aggies are a good homecoming choice; D1 has not been good to them. The guys I went to school with who were coaching retired two years ago, I don't know a soul associated with the program anymore.
UNC, well actually supposed to call them Northern Colorado, no U, is not exactly a powerhouse either. We've gone to games the last 4 years and seen all of one win. A far cry from their I-AA glory days.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:
Brian, if you are feeling that saucy, I have an avatar that says the Terps win.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't do avatar bets on teams I actually care about. I'm not doing one for a conference rival.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

SEC Network. Upset alert.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

their coach let them down, man
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He really did. Cannot imagine why you don't try to win in regulation. Just weird.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:their coach let them down, man
I realize it's easy to say this now but I swear I said it at the time but I would have gone for it up 7 on 4th & 1.5 and two minutes left. If they get those two yards the game is over.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't understand why your qb is an idiot. So terrible to take a sack.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brian should have taken that avatar bet.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
brian wrote:
Brian, if you are feeling that saucy, I have an avatar that says the Terps win.
Hope you enjoyed #MACtion
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Brian should have taken that avatar bet.
I had BG on the money line. Much better for me.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

brian wrote:
I realize it's easy to say this now but I swear I said it at the time but I would have gone for it up 7 on 4th & 1.5 and two minutes left. If they get those two yards the game is over.

I guess they could have done that too, but they definitely should have run a play with :30 and a free chance to win before OT. What are you worried about there? If you turn it over you probably lose, but if you turn it over in OT you also probably lose.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:
brian wrote:

I guess they could have done that too, but they definitely should have run a play with :30 and a free chance to win before OT. What are you worried about there? If you turn it over you probably lose, but if you turn it over in OT you also probably lose.
Oh absolutely. I don't know how good their kicker is but I assume you only need 40 yards for a very good shot at a kick.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Virginia got their asses completely kicked by Notre Dame in the first quarter today, but something clicked after that and they are giving the Domers all they want in this game.

Note 1 - a kid from my high school (CJ Prosise) who had never played RB before this season looks like an All-American. Not sure how he managed to never play RB in high school or college (he was recruited as a safety).

Note 2- Notre Dame's QB, Zaire, rolled the shit out of his ankle late in the third. He's out of at least this game.

Note 3 - As I was typing this, UVA fumbled it for the first TO of the game. Dammit.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

UVA with the lead!
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Dammit, this is not going to end well.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had a big bet on ND -600 on the ML and jumped on the UVA ML +625 in-game after the Zaire injury to guarantee myself a draw and I'm damn glad I did. I did not want to sweat that fourth quarter with a backup QB. Sports betting apps FTW
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wish I had Toledo on the ML today too, but still...MACtion.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:Dammit, this is not going to end well.
No offense, but I am hoping for another couple losses by the Hoos so the team starts to bag it with London on the hot seat. Virginia is one of the games where I am hopeful for a Syracuse win to help get them to a bowl this year.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:I had a big bet on ND -600 on the ML and jumped on the UVA ML +625 in-game after the Zaire injury to guarantee myself a draw and I'm damn glad I did. I did not want to sweat that fourth quarter with a backup QB. Sports betting apps FTW
Not having a Nevada home address sucks.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote:Dammit, this is not going to end well.
I knew it. But of course, the football gods had to tempt me first. When Virginia scored with just under 2 minutes and ND only needed a FG to win, I was very worried. ND had moved the ball all game, but they were playing their backup who hadn't looked that good. ND took a long time to move things down, so I actually got optimistic again when they were still out of FG range and only had 20 seconds left. Then, BOOM, TD. Great call and great execution. Brutal loss.

That said, if ND had just given the ball to that running back more in the second half, they probably wouldn't have had to win like that. UVA couldn't stop him.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Eastern Michigan beat Wyoming in Laramie, which matters little to anyone except Bobby Pentz. However, it's noteworthy since it was Eastern's first non-conference road win since 1988. Yes, you read that right. Since Ronald Reagan was president.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:Eastern Michigan beat Wyoming in Laramie, which matters little to anyone except Bobby Pentz. However, it's noteworthy since it was Eastern's first non-conference road win since 1988. Yes, you read that right. Since Ronald Reagan was president.
EMU won a game? When I say "directional school" during talks about CFB that's who I envision in my mind.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

In the BYU-Boise State game last night, a BSU d-lineman had his helmet ripped off by the offensive lineman, and he kept playing, making a great sack for a loss on a 3rd and goal for BYU. So what happens? The BSU players gets called for unsportsmanlike conduct, for continuing to play without his helmet, BYU gets a 1st down, and scores a touchdown, to bring them within 3 points.

What the hell? Is that really the rule?

Oh....by the way....fuck BYU.