2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by GoodKarma »

Jerloma wrote:
But I do believe in some (very few) specific traditionally conservative policies.

Like what? I'm just curious. I don't like to label myself as a liberal because I'm completely against mortgaging our future and I think we should cut spending on programs that don't work or aren't necessary. Is that considered a conservative trait? A fairly large chunk of that would probably be defense.
Certain components of tax policy (progressive rates and some other minor ideas) and an issue I'm not comfortable discussing over this medium (not trying to be difficult; it's just an issue with losers on all sides). The challenge is what constitutes a government program that is necessary or not? Working or not? One persons pork project is another person's job creation.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

GoodKarma wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
But I do believe in some (very few) specific traditionally conservative policies.

Like what? I'm just curious. I don't like to label myself as a liberal because I'm completely against mortgaging our future and I think we should cut spending on programs that don't work or aren't necessary. Is that considered a conservative trait? A fairly large chunk of that would probably be defense.
Certain components of tax policy (progressive rates and some other minor ideas) and an issue I'm not comfortable discussing over this medium (not trying to be difficult; it's just an issue with losers on all sides). The challenge is what constitutes a government program that is necessary or not? Working or not? One persons pork project is another person's job creation.
If it's so intangible that it can't be measured, it probably doesn't work.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You can say what you want about Planned Parenthood, but that program works. Measurably.

I'd consider voting for Mark Cuban before any of these fucking clowns.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Well, can you "measure" what programs for the arts create when the kids grow up?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:What is your opinion of the man? He came across as a ballsy guy who truly wanted to fix what is wrong in politics, yet had the sensibility to know he had no fucking chance of winning with that as a goal. He was very outspoken against the Bush administration, which is what put him on my radar.
I think Rocky certainly wants to fix many things that are wrong with politics. I am also quite certain that he believes what he says politically - he's not just taking positions cynically. But he is a politician, for better and for worse. For better, in that as mayor he was able to compromise where compromise was needed. And for worse, in that he can sometimes forget the difference between his own interest and the interest of his constituents.

I think he actually would make a good president if he could get elected, because I think he has the right values and works his ass off but also can back off if that is what it takes to get something done. Although everyone in Congress would hate him, and there would be story after story in the press about how many staffers quit because he's too hard to work for.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Opus for president!

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Or women (see the recent kerfuffle about Planned Parenthood, for example)
I think the difference in most issues is the framing of the question. The Left frames PP as 97% providing affordable healthcare, contraception and education to women, many who otherwise couldn't afford healthcare, with 3% (how is this measured?) of its work devoted to performing abortions. Government subsidies are segregated from the abortion business. The Right frames PP as heathen baby-killers harvesting fetal organs to sell for profits, which will lead to God's wrath destroying 'Murica.

The Left frames Welfare and Unemployment Benefits as a safety net to support people in a bad situation and allow them to get back on their feet. The Right frames it as lazy moochers who don't want to work because hey, free money and Obama phones! The solution to unemployment is "get a job!" and now that people working 40 hours a week are still eligible for foodstamps, the solution is "get a better job!"

Illegal immigrants? Humans doing whatever they can to make a better life for their family vs. sub-human brown people coming here to rape white women, steal our jobs and bring ISIS with them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

You know that story about the girl who died in Columbine because she said she believed in God?

Someone get Rick Santorum on the horn and tell him that's a long-ago disproved myth and it never happened.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:You know that story about the girl who died in Columbine because she said she believed in God?

Someone get Rick Santorum on the horn and tell him that's a long-ago disproved myth and it never happened.
True faith means that facts are irrelevant.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sweaty, eh?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

CNN gets Trump right next to Bush. Smart.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

This 9/11ing is nuts
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:You know that story about the girl who died in Columbine because she said she believed in God?

True faith means that facts are irrelevant.
Well played, Pruitt. Rick Santorum isn't a scientist, he doesn't care if there is any truth to the facts he cites or the anecdotes he shares.

-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ann Coulter, keeping it real...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Correct answer - Yes - if it was to a picture of Ann Coulter.

Missed the debate... unfortunately. But if any of you could clarify this quote from NBC News:
Jeb Bush demanded Trump apologize to Bush's wife, Columba, for suggesting Bush's views have been largely shaped by the fact that he is married to someone who is Mexican-American.
Why the outrage? Was this taken out of context? Is Bush so dense that he rises to any bait... even a comment that provides him with a great opening?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote:This 9/11ing is nuts
I think I might have thrown my support behind Trump, or any of them really, if he had called Jeb! on his "one thing you can say about my brother...he kept the American people safe" comment.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Missed the debate... unfortunately. But if any of you could clarify this quote from NBC News:
Jeb Bush demanded Trump apologize to Bush's wife, Columba, for suggesting Bush's views have been largely shaped by the fact that he is married to someone who is Mexican-American.
Why the outrage? Was this taken out of context? Is Bush so dense that he rises to any bait... even a comment that provides him with a great opening?
Wouldn't he owe Jeb an apology, if an apology was due, since he called out Jeb for basing a policy on his wife? Saying his wife is Mexican-American is just stating a fact, right?
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote: Missed the debate... unfortunately. But if any of you could clarify this quote from NBC News:
Wouldn't he owe Jeb an apology, if an apology was due, since he called out Jeb for basing a policy on his wife? Saying his wife is Mexican-American is just stating a fact, right?
Yeah, but there was also a great opening there. A chance to say that he was tough on illegal immigrants, but had the utmost respect (and hard ons) for those who have come to America and played by the rules.

Or words to that effect.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

How the fuck does JEB! stand there and say There's one thing I'll tell you about my brother, he kept us safe" without every person in the entire country yelling back "Sure....if you don't count the 3000 people killed on 9/11, or the 4000 US military killed in Iraq".

Good fucking god...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

It's every emoji on your phone!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Am I trippin or did Carson say that he would force illegal immigrants to work in fields in order to let them stay in the country?
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Keg wrote:Am I trippin or did Carson say that he would force illegal immigrants to work in fields in order to let them stay in the country?
So, basically status quo right? <rimshot>

Seriously, if he said that, that's pretty damn stupid and probably not even one of the 20 stupidest things uttered last night.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Loving Slate and Salon rushing to be the first to declare Trump done after last night. If they think his followers give a shit about debate performance on substance, they are extra-fucking clueless.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Isn't this the 10 or 15th time the media has declared Trump dead? I mean, it'll happen eventually but how many times can you be wrong before people stop listening?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

26. I know from experience.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:Isn't this the 10 or 15th time the media has declared Trump dead? I mean, it'll happen eventually but how many times can you be wrong before people stop listening?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

PFT Commenter on the debate.
Leading into the debate people called Huckabee insenstive and lazy for making a reference to Obama leading Israel into the ovens, like its poor form to compare someone to Hitler. Well you know who never got compared to Hitler?Hitler. If Hitler had existed before Hitler then we would've had Hitler to compare Hitler to and Hitler would've never gone into power.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Keg wrote:Am I trippin or did Carson say that he would force illegal immigrants to work in fields in order to let them stay in the country?
Am I trippin or did Trump try and connect autism to vaccines?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:
Am I trippin or did Trump try and connect autism to vaccines?
He didn't try, he conclusively proved the connection. He watched a friend's beautiful 2 year old get a vaccine big enough for a horse, and boom, instantly caught the autism. I love the visual of Trump standing in a pediatrician's exam room for some reason, watching a friend's kid get vaccinated. WTF? The premise of his anecdotes make zero sense, and it is incredibly obvious he is making them up right then with no thought. And world renowned medical doctor Ben Carson stood next to him and said nothing.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Carson did point out that there is no proven connection between the two, but he did it nicely. He could have slammed him on the fact that he's quoting research that was debunked 15 years ago. He could have pointed out that autism is not an epidemic and that of course we see more people with autism now because they don't get stuck into institutions or special schools anymore. Isn't Rand Paul a doctor also? Carson gave Trump the out by saying that the grouping of vaccines may be detrimental and that it was being studied.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:Carson did point out that there is no proven connection between the two, but he did it nicely. He could have slammed him on the fact that he's quoting research that was debunked 15 years ago. He could have pointed out that autism is not an epidemic and that of course we see more people with autism now because they don't get stuck into institutions or special schools anymore. Isn't Rand Paul a doctor also? Carson gave Trump the out by saying that the grouping of vaccines may be detrimental and that it was being studied.
He was an ophthalmologist, but that should be enough education to understand how medical studies work. Another reason is a hell of a lot of kids wild less noticeable symptoms or Asperger's were just considered offbeat and not diagnosed.

Rand Paul was very vocal during the Ebola Pandemic of 2014 saying Obama was hiding the dangers of Ebola, as it spreads very easily. He said something to the effect that if you are at a cocktail party with someone with Ebola, you are getting Ebola. And something to the effect of Obama makes it sound like you get Ebola through contact with bodily fluids, so people think it is like AIDS, but it's not true, it's very contagious.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

rass wrote:
Well, thank Jeebus for that.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Howard's buddy doesn't think Muslims should be allowed to be POTUS. It's funny because he sounds exactly like some bigot in the 60s trying to explain why a black man can't be POTUS.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Howard's buddy doesn't think Muslims should be allowed to be POTUS. It's funny because he sounds exactly like some bigot in the 60s trying to explain why a black man can't be POTUS.
Comparing Carson's bigotry towards Muslims and gays to discrimination against blacks doesn't work. Carson said slavery wasn't such a bad thing, as it got slaves and their descendents out of Africa.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:Howard's buddy doesn't think Muslims should be allowed to be POTUS. It's funny because he sounds exactly like some bigot in the 60s trying to explain why a black man can't be POTUS.
When I was a kid, my parents told me that Kennedy becoming President was huge because of the fact that he was Roman Catholic. People had said that it would never happen.

And to be clear - my parents weren't anti-Catholic. They were just saying...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Scott Walker and his weird bald spot has dropped.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I found him the most scary from a stances : electability ratio.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.