NFL Free Agency

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Re: NFL Free Agency

Post by bryan »

Grasspenis wrote:The Lions just pushed this year's Suh cap hit into next year. Those old top-5 draft picks just kill teams on the cap.
Yeah, though it's about to not really matter. The good news is that the three most onerous rookie contracts (Johnson, Suh, Stafford) are for players who largely have panned out (understatement in terms of Megatron, obvs). Definitely Stafford and likely Suh will get new contracts after this season and then they're out from under the rookie contracts. Theoretically at least they'll be being paid market value at that point (as Calvin is now)
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

Though it is true that it limits the Lions ability to do things that other teams could do if contract negotiations get hairy. Megatron, despite obviously getting a massive (deserved) contract, was cool about re-doing his deal to lower his cap number when he didn't really have to.

The Lions won't be able to franchise Stafford or Suh, so they're going to have to a) probably give them a little bit more money in their extensions than they might have had to and b) hope that both players are willing to be give up some of their leverage to make sure their contracts don't blow up the cap, much like Johnson was.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'll bet you Suh ends up somewhere else.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
roomtemperaturemayo
Jackie Treehorn

Post by roomtemperaturemayo »

Yeah the problem is the positions. DL and QB are probably the highest paid positions outside of maybe CB. No way they have room for 3 huge contracts and still have anything left for a team.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

Grasspenis wrote:I'll bet you Suh ends up somewhere else.
I don't disagree. And I'd be disappointed, but if you can only keep two out of those three, Stafford and Johnson are the right two. Worst case, hopefully they can at least swing a trade for Suh and get a draft pick.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

bryan wrote:
Grasspenis wrote:I'll bet you Suh ends up somewhere else.
I don't disagree. And I'd be disappointed, but if you can only keep two out of those three, Stafford and Johnson are the right two. Worst case, hopefully they can at least swing a trade for Suh and get a draft pick.

It would be tough with that contract. I guess they could franchise him and see if someone bites. I just think he's overrated as hell. The anti-Megatron, who should already have a statue outside of Ford Field.
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

Danny Woodhead to Les Chargerres.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Danny Woodhead is my favorite 5'4" white guy in the entire NFL. Outside of kickers, of course.
Popin' ain't easy
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Whoa...Patriots getting a little darker.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

@greggrosenthal: The exodus of Patriots that look like Patriots fans is complete.
Popin' ain't easy
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

Did Gonk die?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

FredRomero wrote:
The Burglar wrote:However, the idea of writing off Welker and immediately shouting "upgrade!" seems quite premature and Patriotic.
Nobody is saying that. Well maybe Rush is.
Yeah, Rush is definitely saying that. Amazing how quickly he went from Welkah! to "Dropsy" in some folks' eyes
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

While Welker has actually been somewhat dropsy, many WRs would probably have a good amount of drops if the ball were thrown at them so often.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I'll take 70 catches and 0 drops over 118 catches and 10 drops any day." - Rush
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Elvis Dumervil signed a new, cap-friendly deal with the Broncos, today. I'm glad, as he was getting cut if they didn't get this done, and proven pass rushers are always in demand.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

Holy Chaz wrote:Elvis Dumervil signed a new, cap-friendly deal with the Broncos, today. I'm glad, as he was getting cut if they didn't get this done, and proven pass rushers are always in demand.
Not so fast, my friend. Paperwork wasn't filed with the league in time, so Dumervil released by the Broncos. (May have been related to Welker deal putting them over the cap.) Someone should be getting fired in the front office over that.
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

bryan wrote:
Holy Chaz wrote:Elvis Dumervil signed a new, cap-friendly deal with the Broncos, today. I'm glad, as he was getting cut if they didn't get this done, and proven pass rushers are always in demand.
Not so fast, my friend. Paperwork wasn't filed with the league in time, so Dumervil released by the Broncos. (May have been related to Welker deal putting them over the cap.) Someone should be getting fired in the front office over that.
@MikeKlis Broncos didn't get fax with Elvis Dumervil signature on contract until 2:07 p.m. -- 7 minutes and 1 second past the deadline!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm torn on Dumervil (at the Dumervillian price range of probably $8+ mil).
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

Grasspenis wrote:I'm torn on Dumervil...
Pectoralpenis
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

Greg Jennings to the Vikings
toonarmy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by toonarmy »

timgod99X wrote:Greg Jennings to the Vikings
my wallet? yeah right!
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

Patriots sign Adrian Wilson. This would have been much better news a few years ago.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Yeah, exactly what I said. Stick to looking up things on Baseball Reference.
mister d wrote:"I'll take 70 catches and 0 drops over 118 catches and 10 drops any day." - Rush
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Especially due to the Broncos having to eat nearly 5 million in dead money due to this. Which hurts them in trying to resign Dumervil and bring in a runstopper/DL depth, a capable backup RB and defensive backfield depth.

Perhaps this has them reuniting the whirling dervish with Peyton.
bryan wrote:
roomtemperaturemayo
Jackie Treehorn

Post by roomtemperaturemayo »

Talib is back. Lloyd cut. Lloyd just cant really get open. And hes a pussy. Nice hands and route running though. The anti-Welker maybe? Nah, neither can get downfield. And Welker runs good routes. Wonder what he did before green bay spread the back shoulder through the league. That was about 60% of his catches. Poorly attacked bubble screens another 30%
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Jake Long signs with the Rams. This is good.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

roomtemperaturemayo wrote:Talib is back. Lloyd cut. Lloyd just cant really get open. And hes a pussy. Nice hands and route running though. The anti-Welker maybe? Nah, neither can get downfield. And Welker runs good routes. Wonder what he did before green bay spread the back shoulder through the league. That was about 60% of his catches. Poorly attacked bubble screens another 30%
Hm.

Brandon Lloyd: 74 catches (12.3 YPC), 160 yards after catch (2.16 YAC/C)
Wes Welker: 118 catches (11.4), 619 yards after catch (5.25 YAC/C)

So yes, Lloyd really couldn't get downfield.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

RushianRoulette wrote:Yeah, exactly what I said. Stick to looking up things on Baseball Reference.
mister d wrote:"I'll take 70 catches and 0 drops over 118 catches and 10 drops any day." - Rush

Aren't you pretty much judging Amendola entirely from what you are seeing on football-reference?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rams Fanny wrote:Jake Long signs with the Rams. This is good.
It's 2013 Jake Long, though. If his name were Lake Jong, he'd get about half of what he got here, I'd think.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote:
roomtemperaturemayo wrote:Talib is back. Lloyd cut. Lloyd just cant really get open. And hes a pussy. Nice hands and route running though. The anti-Welker maybe? Nah, neither can get downfield. And Welker runs good routes. Wonder what he did before green bay spread the back shoulder through the league. That was about 60% of his catches. Poorly attacked bubble screens another 30%
Hm.

Brandon Lloyd: 74 catches (12.3 YPC), 160 yards after catch (2.16 YAC/C)
Wes Welker: 118 catches (11.4), 619 yards after catch (5.25 YAC/C)

So yes, Lloyd really couldn't get downfield.
I'd hope that the Steelers would sign Lloyd, but he'd be running his routes, looking back expecting the ball, and then he'd see Roeth running around like a headless chicken and just sigh.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Talib's good enough that I'd take the chance that he could kill someone at any given moment and re-sign him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Why does nobody give a shit about Bernie Pollard?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I've read multiple quotes along the lines of "there's a reason Pollard is looking for his fourth team in as many years". I guess he's just a general bag of douche.
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

Grasspenis wrote:I've read multiple quotes along the lines of "there's a reason Pollard is looking for his fourth team in as many years". I guess he's just a general bag of douche.
And I heard he sucks in coverage, but he's good at injuring Patriots.

Apparently Lloyd has some crazy in him too, which is one of the reasons they let him go.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Bengals have re-signed Rey Maualuga.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

FredRomero wrote:Apparently Lloyd has some crazy in him too, which is one of the reasons they let him go.
Yes, Lloyd has lots of crazy in him. That's why he's played for so many different teams, methinks.

Back to the other Lloyd issue discussed. He maybe older and more broken-down, now, but back a few years ago, his whole selling point was his ability to get downfield and catch the long ball. He certainly did that during his good year in Denver.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

FredRomero wrote:Apparently Lloyd has some crazy in him too, which is one of the reasons they let him go.
So they floated this without a bunch of stories to back it? Amateurs compared to the Sox.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Grasspenis wrote:
Rams Fanny wrote:Jake Long signs with the Rams. This is good.
It's 2013 Jake Long, though. If his name were Lake Jong, he'd get about half of what he got here, I'd think.
Average Jake Long is eons above what the Rams had last year. This allows Saffold to move back from LT to his natural RT. I haven't seen many Rams fans expecting all-pro Jake, just consistency on the blind side.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Never been to the site actually.

Am I sad that Welker left? Yes. Am I disappointed that he signed with our most likely opponent for a return to the Super Bowl? Yes.

I also think that there is something behind the scene that was pushing him out the door before he even became a FA, and I am very trustworthy of the Patriot FO and their ability to know what a player's value is and if they are about to trend downwards.

They might not have the best drafting record for WR, but they sure as hell know how valuable a player is for their offense as compared to their value on other teams.

I don't know if Welker is getting gun shy after taking too many hits over the middle, his hands are wearing out from to many catches, or what, but he beginning to drop more passes than he should, especially at big points in games. If you have a chance to replace him with a much younger clone then why wouldn't you?
Grasspenis wrote: Aren't you pretty much judging Amendola entirely from what you are seeing on football-reference?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There are a few stories about this. I think the crazy combined with the nearly 5 million cap hit is the reason for the cut.

Though if he wasn't due the bonus I think he'd still be on the team.

mister d wrote:
So they floated this without a bunch of stories to back it? Amateurs compared to the Sox.