In Which I Tell Every Swamper Why They Suck

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: In Which I Tell Every Swamper Why They Suck

Post by mister d »

Or I'm just that charming.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt

- I don't know. It just seems maniacally important for Pruitt to constantly remind us that he's Canadian and Jewish. These are kind of weird things to take pride in until you realize that he roots for the Bills and the Browns, then I guess it makes sense.

- Seriously, read that again. If the Bills don't work out, he has the fucking Browns to fall back on. Let it soak in. What a clustersuck.

- Thinks anyone cares about Canadian politics.

- Hates Christmas.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Is the only Swamper who hates advanced stats. Which is impressive when you consider the number of oldtimers, here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote:
also fuck your piece of shit cat.
Roethlisberger beat him to it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:Is the only Swamper who hates advanced stats. Which is impressive when you consider the number of oldtimers, here.
I have a love/hate relationship with them. I dislike when they conflict with common sense. I dislike when you take something that humans play and distill it to the point where you take the human element completely out of it. It cheapens it for me.

Times where The Simpsons were right on: "I made baseball as much fun as doing your taxes!"

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Including Bryan Adams was a filthy low blow.

But advanced stats are unnecessary, I will quote a great thinker here:
I have a love/hate relationship with them. I dislike when they conflict with common sense. I dislike when you take something that humans play and distill it to the point where you take the human element completely out of it. It cheapens it for me.

Furthermore, Canadian politics is interesting and Christmas does suck.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to plug in the space heater in the sukkah. It was cold here last night.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Jerloma wrote:BSF

Where to begin. Let's start here...
Colts Haters - Would you get over it? We are good, we've been good, we are going to continue being good. Peyton is the best thing that has ever happened to my sports life and I don't give a shit if he makes weird faces sometimes. We are a disciplined team that doesn't put up with bullshit from the players or anyone else within the organization. That's why we are good! You don't want to respect it? Keep using the Al Davis model and enjoy your 2-14 seasons from here to eternity for all I care.
Holy fuck. Know how BSF is always interrupting our Deflategate talks, screaming at everyone to get over it and that's not how the Colts won? It should be no surprise that he has a little Patriots apologism in him because reading that sentence, he may as well just buy a Brady jersey now. Insecure football fans crying about respect...every Patriot fan and BSF.

Lives in a place that doesn't have a baseball team so of all the teams to root for he picks the fucking Red Sox, lending even more credence to the earlier theory that he has a special place in his heart for that reprehensible fanbase.

So there's this scientist named LaMarck. Not sure if you've ever heard of him and it shouldn't be surprising because he's half a moron. See, LaMarck published a hypothesis for evolution in the early 19th century which showed that organisms developed and changed over time. This was nothing extremely new but he was the first one to have a mechanism. The mechanism worked like this: Animals will change over their lifetime and as they change they can somehow magically pass these changes onto their offspring. So in other words, you have a giraffe that needs to get leaves at the top of the azalea tree in order to survive. Over the course of their lives, some giraffes will try so hard that they'll actually stretch their fucking necks out and then when they have babies, the babies will already have the outstretched neck. He he had a good idea, but he just really sucked at it. It had no chance of going anywhere with him trying to explain it. Enter Natural Selection and we have the brilliant theory which is the cornerstone of all biological science today. This is what happened with the Random Thoughts thread. Take credit if you must but I am the fucking Darwin to your LaMarck.

I need to add to this...

Okay, often someone in the Swamp will make a statement without putting an awful lot of thought into it and then of course someone will correct them because nobody can go 8 seconds while passing up a chance to prove how smart they are. Very rarely, people like me and AB...the few of us with a shred of humility will be all like "My bad...I was wrong. Not sure what I was thinking." Then inevitably there's always the asshole that has to keep trying to prove why it was wrong even after said poster already admitted it was wrong. God...you are the worst.
BSF21 wrote:
A_B wrote:I feel like "interception" and "perfectly thrown ball" are mutually exclusive.
What about when a receiver breaks his route off wrong? QB oftentimes has to throw "a perfect ball" before the WR makes his break and trust that he is going to be at the point the ball is. So in that instance the QB could throw a perfect ball for a pick 6 and it wouldn't be his fault. Same would go for that receiver falling down during the break. The ball is out of the QBs hand at that point, so how can it be his fault if he ran the play that was called?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to plug in the space heater in the sukkah. It was cold here last night.
Sukkot? That explains the run on lulav and etrog at the supermarket.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I can grab you some if you need.

http://sukkahmart.ca/lulavetrog/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:
Jerloma wrote:BSF

Where to begin. Let's start here...
Colts Haters - Would you get over it? We are good, we've been good, we are going to continue being good. Peyton is the best thing that has ever happened to my sports life and I don't give a shit if he makes weird faces sometimes. We are a disciplined team that doesn't put up with bullshit from the players or anyone else within the organization. That's why we are good! You don't want to respect it? Keep using the Al Davis model and enjoy your 2-14 seasons from here to eternity for all I care.
Holy fuck. Know how BSF is always interrupting our Deflategate talks, screaming at everyone to get over it and that's not how the Colts won? It should be no surprise that he has a little Patriots apologism in him because reading that sentence, he may as well just buy a Brady jersey now. Insecure football fans crying about respect...every Patriot fan and BSF.

Lives in a place that doesn't have a baseball team so of all the teams to root for he picks the fucking Red Sox, lending even more credence to the earlier theory that he has a special place in his heart for that reprehensible fanbase.

So there's this scientist named LaMarck. Not sure if you've ever heard of him and it shouldn't be surprising because he's half a moron. See, LaMarck published a hypothesis for evolution in the early 19th century which showed that organisms developed and changed over time. This was nothing extremely new but he was the first one to have a mechanism. The mechanism worked like this: Animals will change over their lifetime and as they change they can somehow magically pass these changes onto their offspring. So in other words, you have a giraffe that needs to get leaves at the top of the azalea tree in order to survive. Over the course of their lives, some giraffes will try so hard that they'll actually stretch their fucking necks out and then when they have babies, the babies will already have the outstretched neck. He he had a good idea, but he just really sucked at it. It had no chance of going anywhere with him trying to explain it. Enter Natural Selection and we have the brilliant theory which is the cornerstone of all biological science today. This is what happened with the Random Thoughts thread. Take credit if you must but I am the fucking Darwin to your LaMarck.

I need to add to this...

Okay, often someone in the Swamp will make a statement without putting an awful lot of thought into it and then of course someone will correct them because nobody can go 8 seconds while passing up a chance to prove how smart they are. Very rarely, people like me and AB...the few of us with a shred of humility will be all like "My bad...I was wrong. Not sure what I was thinking." Then inevitably there's always the asshole that has to keep trying to prove why it was wrong even after said poster already admitted it was wrong. God...you are the worst.
BSF21 wrote:
A_B wrote:I feel like "interception" and "perfectly thrown ball" are mutually exclusive.
What about when a receiver breaks his route off wrong? QB oftentimes has to throw "a perfect ball" before the WR makes his break and trust that he is going to be at the point the ball is. So in that instance the QB could throw a perfect ball for a pick 6 and it wouldn't be his fault. Same would go for that receiver falling down during the break. The ball is out of the QBs hand at that point, so how can it be his fault if he ran the play that was called?

I didn't read on, just saw the first post and hit the "quote" button.

How irresponsible of me to give an opinion before scrolling all the way down to the bottom of a page.

I'll continue to be the worst. You can still get bent.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

sancarlos wrote:Is the only Swamper who hates advanced stats. Which is impressive when you consider the number of oldtimers, here.
Well, I probably would too ... if I knew what they were!
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

TT2.0 wrote: jerloma... you ... fuck ... painfully ... and it hurts my eyes.

Left "my eyes" in there to keep it in good taste.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:- Hates Christmas.
Shit, really? I wondered about that a couple of times.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:
Actually - used to hate Christmas when I had to take part in the festivities. Now I'm back to enjoying the holiday as it's a wonderful time of the year for sports on TV.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:
Actually - used to hate Christmas when I had to take part in the festivities. Now I'm back to enjoying the holiday as it's a wonderful time of the year for sports on TV.
I think he's referring to your former alias.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:

I'm really confused, is Uncle Rick related to the GF's mother or father? Why was he at the celebration of both sides of her family? My theory is Uncle Rick is her father's brother, and he was banging the GF's mother. This tryst led to her parents' divorce and is the root of Rick's marital difficulties. Aunt Wendy has been a royal cunt since learning of the affair, but refuses to divorce Rick because she wasn't smart enough to get a prenup when they married to shield her family's wealth, and doesn't want Rick getting a cut of her substantial inheritance from her Great Aunt Gladys.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:

I'm really confused, is Uncle Rick related to the GF's mother or father? Why was he at the celebration of both sides of her family? My theory is Uncle Rick is her father's brother, and he was banging the GF's mother. This tryst led to her parents' divorce and is the root of Rick's marital difficulties. Aunt Wendy has been a royal cunt since learning of the affair, but refuses to divorce Rick because she wasn't smart enough to get a prenup when they married to shield her family's wealth, and doesn't want Rick getting a cut of her substantial inheritance from her Great Aunt Gladys.
Uncle Rick was on the Mother's side but friendly with the father's side.

The story there took place in 1985.

Since then father left second wife for a woman his daughter's age. He died this year leaving children and grandchildren of the same age and oceans of bitterness.

All the grandparents have died, as has Rick.

As for the former alias, yes, that was me.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Canadian and Jewish are "weird things to be proud of"? Damn, J-Lo. Cold, cold.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That was the worst kept secret in this place.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:

Uncle Rick was on the Mother's side but friendly with the father's side.
But Uncle Rick still banged the mother, right?
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Rass

Just one thing, really. A few times now, I've wanted to mention that someone sucks because they're always asking for advice on how to run their FFB teams. Like, what's the fucking point of managing an FFB team if you're just going to have other people make your decisions? Whatever happened to some good old-fashioned accountability? It's a fair grievance. The reason I can't bring that up though is because if I do, you know without a shadow of a doubt that if I've ever posted one things even remotely alluding to FFB advice, Rass is going to track it down. Granted his insane search skills are impressive but also a little but stalkery, amirite? He's like the fucking neighborhood watch guy. Thinks he's goddamned George Zimmerman.

Besides that, Rass is awesome. That sucks though. Watch...I bet he's already scouring my posts anyway.

ETA: I also feel like Rass doesn't like Shakira as much as he should.

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So I guess you like all the rest of us?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have some catching up to do but as it turns out, I don't really know anything about a lot of people. Like Joe K...does anyone know even one semi-personal thing about him other than he's probably a lawyer? I can't even make up a reason as to why he would suck.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that he'd be a lawyer?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Didn't he go to Duke?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

That was CoachK.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:Didn't he go to Duke?

Doesn't seem right but is possible
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I have some catching up to do but as it turns out, I don't really know anything about a lot of people. Like Joe K...does anyone know even one semi-personal thing about him other than he's probably a lawyer? I can't even make up a reason as to why he would suck.
He lives in Boston, and vaguely seems like he might be a Pats fan? His political views are always on point, so you can't hit him there.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You must not have seen any of his work in the Deflategate thread if you think he's a Pats fan.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rerun is the Dukie, isn't he?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No, just a massive Duke apologist.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:No, just a massive Duke apologist.
He did get his MBA there, so that probably qualifies him as a Dukie.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh, I didn't know that.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I was really busy with work the last few days (yes, as a lawyer), so I missed these posts. No, I am not a Dukie. I went to Yale, an equally elitist school that is much, much worse at basketball and football but at least is good at hockey. Traditionally, I was a Duke basketball hater, although I found myself rooting for them to beat Wisconsin in the Final last year because I liked their freshmen.

I lived in Boston from 2008-2014, before moving to St. Louis last year because my girlfriend (who I met when we both lived in Boston) is in med school here now. I am definitely not a Patriots fan. I'm a 49ers fan (Steve Young was my favorite athlete when I was growing up), and have been anti-Patriots since 2002. I liked Drew Bledsoe back in the day, but started rooting against them after Bob Kraft said, "We're all Patriots" when they beat the Rams. I thought his attempt to tie in 9/11 to his football team was ridiculous, so I started rooting against them then. Of course, the cheating didn't help matters.

I would say that my most dislikable sports-related trait is that I root against players and teams more than I actually root for teams (in addition to Duke and the Patriots I've been pretty anti-Cowboys, anti-Elway, anti-Lakers, etc.). This probably makes me a bad fan, but it's just hard for me to be passionate about a team I like if I don't think they have any hope of actually contending for a league or conference championship in the foreseeable future. But I can, and will, always muster up the energy to cheer against teams and players I hate.

The best example of this is my NBA fandom. The Knicks were, by far, the pro team that I was the most emotionally invested in growing up. I used to get really, really upset when they inevitably lost to the Bulls and also was really bummed by the Rockets loss. But I can't remember being excited about anything Knicks-related for the last 15 years. Even when they won 50 games and made the second round a few years back, I didn't get that into their season because I thought they had no chance of beating the Heat in the playoffs. In contrast to my relative apathy towards the Knicks, I have passionately rooted against the Lakers for every playoff game of Kobe's career, and was the same way for the LeBron/Bosh/Wade Heat teams. Now that Kobe is a shell of his former self and the Heat probably aren't a true contender (Wade was my least favorite of the Big 3), I feel like there is a void in how I watch the playoffs. I enjoyed watching last year's playoffs but found that without a team to hate I just didn't care the same way I had in years previously.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well, if anyone can turn being completely reasonable and well written into a negative, I guess it's 'loma? Get 'im!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe K wrote: also was really bummed by the Rockets loss.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote:No, I am not a Dukie. I went to Yale, an equally elitist school

Don't sell yourself short, Yale is way more elitist than Duke.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote:I would say that my most dislikable sports-related trait is that I root against players and teams more than I actually root for teams (in addition to Duke and the Patriots I've been pretty anti-Cowboys, anti-Elway, anti-Lakers, etc.). This probably makes me a bad fan, but it's just hard for me to be passionate about a team I like if I don't think they have any hope of actually contending for a league or conference championship in the foreseeable future. But I can, and will, always muster up the energy to cheer against teams and players I hate.
If this is dislikable then we are all in trouble.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Joe K wrote:I can, and will, always muster up the energy to cheer against teams and players I hate.
That should be the Swamp Oath.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:
Joe K wrote:I can, and will, always muster up the energy to cheer against teams and players I hate.
That should be the Swamp Oath.
I wish we had that classic thread debating the Swamp slogan. Rass?
-Pruitt