NFL Week 4

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

NFL Week 4

Post by Sabo »

I saw this on Twitter last night and thought it was funny:
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Ryan
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 4

Post by Ryan »

Are there sites that let you look up historical odds information? Like, for instance, when's the last time Oakland was favored on the road?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am tempted to take the Raiders in my survivor pool. Maybe it's because the Browns made them look like the Packers, or that this Bears team is a complete disaster.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:I am tempted to take the Raiders in my survivor pool. Maybe it's because the Browns made them look like the Packers, or that this Bears team is a complete disaster.
I lost Big Ben last week and picked up Derek Carr, so the Raiders are destined to score 9 on field goals alone.

However this still might be enough to beat the Bears.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote:Are there sites that let you look up historical odds information? Like, for instance, when's the last time Oakland was favored on the road?
A Raiders blog reports that the last time was September 2012 - and they lost 35-13.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
Ryan wrote:Are there sites that let you look up historical odds information? Like, for instance, when's the last time Oakland was favored on the road?
A Raiders blog reports that the last time was September 2012 - and they lost 35-13.
A handful of Bears' beat reporters have tweeted this out earlier in the week. Miami was the opponent in that 2012 game, opened at OAK -1, went up to OAK -2.5 for a couple days, then back down to -1 (the site I found that info at tracks betting line movement, not your specific question, Ryan).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Take it from the guy who won the Swamp Survivor pool this year: picking a road team is an unnecessary risk.

Indy hosting the Jags, Chargers hosting the McCowns, or Arizona hosting the STL are much less risky.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

St. Louis' defence is still a bit scary for me.

And after watching the Browns look Brown last week, I really should take the Chargers. And picking against the Jags is usually a gift, but that Colts team is just no good.

I'll wait for Saturday to make the choice.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If you take the consensus picks, you'll never win
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:On Mark Davis
Great article. I was just going to post it. This is what results from having Al Davis as a father.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

#26 and #84 in black and gold are a lot of fun to watch.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brown is open on at least 90 percent of pass plays.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:Brown is open on at least 90 percent of pass plays.
Maybe if he stops dropping TDs Vick will throw it to him more(!)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

guuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's true that you're better off being up 3 than 6 late in the game, but Scobee's taking analytics a bit too far there.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Do they go ahead and put a cardboard box by Scobee's locker now, or wait until tomorrow?
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Got to try and kick for the win.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj wrote:Got to try and kick for the win.
Like that.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And if you are gonna go on 4th and 1 - maybe use Le'Veon Bell?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote:And if you are gonna go on 4th and 1 - maybe use Le'Veon Bell?
Horrible play call.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Harbaugh and Tomlin making me feel so much better about Marvin Lewis' in-game shenanigans.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote:Harbaugh and Tomlin making me feel so much better about Marvin Lewis' in-game shenanigans.

That fake fg. I know I'll hear someone try and defend that tomorrow. I may throw something at them.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Harbaugh and Tomlin making me feel so much better about Marvin Lewis' in-game shenanigans.

That fake fg. I know I'll hear someone try and defend that tomorrow. I may throw something at them.
I am still amazed and befuddled over that call.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That fake FG probably wasn't in the Top 10 of the worst game management decisions in that game. It was like watching two idiots try to play chess.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The 49 yard attempt was stupid, the roll out on 4th down was stupid. Most of the other calls in that game were stupid because they didn't work.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

When fake field goals work the coaches are geniuses. Even Belichick was an idiot once because his play didn't work. This is the hindsightiest sport in America.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Gunpowder wrote:When fake field goals work the coaches are geniuses. Even Belichick was an idiot once because his play didn't work. This is the hindsightiest sport in America.
Point taken. However, there is no logic (to me) to not closing the gap to a FG when you know these games usually come down to three points anyway.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I understand the criticism of the play, sure, but I think the kneejerk "worst coached game ever" stuff I'm reading everywhere is just that. I hated some of the play calling for the Steelers, but that's every game, and I hated the 49 yard attempt and the stupid rollout play. But other than that, Vick's gotta hit one of the last 5 or so throws he had a shot at that would have put the game away.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Steelers were kind of put in a tough spot because Scobee is so bad. If they had a reliable kicker they would've won the game in regulation or on one of their OT drives. I thought the final fourth down failure was really on Vick, not the playcalling. Brown wasn't that open but if the pass is a foot lower, he catches that. And the rollout wasn't a great call but at the same time, I recall the Niners getting a huge TD against the Saints in a postseason game a few years back when they ran that same play with Alex Smith. So, again, hindsight is 20-20. From Baltimore's perspective, the 4th down QB sneak was probably the right call, as Flacco has converted the vast majority of those plays during his career. And I agree on the fake FG that if it works -- and presumably Harbaugh was confident in the play design -- everyone would be praising Harbaugh's decision making.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote:But other than that, Vick's gotta hit one of the last 5 or so throws he had a shot at that would have put the game away.
Joe K wrote:The Steelers were kind of put in a tough spot because Scobee is so bad. If they had a reliable kicker they would've won the game in regulation or on one of their OT drives. I thought the final fourth down failure was really on Vick, not the playcalling. Brown wasn't that open but if the pass is a foot lower, he catches that. And the rollout wasn't a great call but at the same time, I recall the Niners getting a huge TD against the Saints in a postseason game a few years back when they ran that same play with Alex Smith. So, again, hindsight is 20-20. From Baltimore's perspective, the 4th down QB sneak was probably the right call, as Flacco has converted the vast majority of those plays during his career. And I agree on the fake FG that if it works -- and presumably Harbaugh was confident in the play design -- everyone would be praising Harbaugh's decision making.
I agree with about all of this. Blah.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I hated that rollout because there was no pass option. If Nix were looking for a pass they had a shot at that.

I hope they never run it again.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

There was still a way to win that game even with being handcuffed by Vick and Scobee. On the 3rd down before the 1st missed FG - the slant to Coates on like 3rd and 4. You run the fucking ball there. Even if Bell doesn't get there, Baltimore has to use their last time out. Now when they get the ball back for the game-tying FG, they only have like 20 seconds instead of a whole minute. This is not hindsight. I was apoplectic as it was happening. Tomlin is a fucking idiot.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:There was still a way to win that game even with being handcuffed by Vick and Scobee. On the 3rd down before the 1st missed FG - the slant to Coates on like 3rd and 4. You run the fucking ball there. Even if Bell doesn't get there, Baltimore has to use their last time out. Now when they get the ball back for the game-tying FG, they only have like 20 seconds instead of a whole minute. This is not hindsight. I was apoplectic as it was happening. Tomlin is a fucking idiot.
You can't blame Tomlin's brain, you have to blame his gut. Because he makes his decisions with his gut. Fuck I hate football announcers. In my head I heard Gruden saying it, I must just chalk shit like that up to Gruden saying. If Gruden were to say it, he'd undoubtedly repeat it 15 times throughout the game.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:There was still a way to win that game even with being handcuffed by Vick and Scobee. On the 3rd down before the 1st missed FG - the slant to Coates on like 3rd and 4. You run the fucking ball there. Even if Bell doesn't get there, Baltimore has to use their last time out. Now when they get the ball back for the game-tying FG, they only have like 20 seconds instead of a whole minute. This is not hindsight. I was apoplectic as it was happening. Tomlin is a fucking idiot.
I had no problem going for the win there. There is nobody on Earth who was thinking "ok this is the Ravens penultimate drive" after the missed fg.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The call I probably hated the most is when the Steelers got the ball up 3 there was 2:04 left. So why run the ball on first down? If you try a pass and it's incomplete it's still the two minute warning and the Ravens might not be expecting a pass. I would have thrown the ball there. The only downside is a possible interception, but if you get 10 yards (or even like 8 or 9) you can likely ice the game.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:The call I probably hated the most is when the Steelers got the ball up 3 there was 2:04 left. So why run the ball on first down? If you try a pass and it's incomplete it's still the two minute warning and the Ravens might not be expecting a pass. I would have thrown the ball there. The only downside is a possible interception, but if you get 10 yards (or even like 8 or 9) you can likely ice the game.
Yup. Or do the rollout there but send passing options and if nothing is wide open, just run. That kind of logic is lost on Tomlin. He doesn't get it. Never has; never will.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Colts sign Josh Johnson and the Nation cringes.

This Luck injury/non-injury thing man...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian