Syria

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

testuser2
Brandt

Re: Syria

Post by testuser2 »

If you are wondering who the people are that want to go to Syria go ahead and stop by your local VFW or American Legion Post. They are pissed off that Obama is even asking Congress. Put some boots on the ground is their recommendation.
howard
Karl Hungus

Not Syria, but Iran

Post by howard »

Searching for a place for this link, and I didn't want to start an Iran thread. (Don't want to hex and start a war; I'm too timid to try the reverse-hex.)

A story about an earlier negotiation between the US and Iran.

When Rouhani Met Ollie North

… and strung the White House along to get more weapons.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

"My Bad"

Post by howard »

Al-Qaeda-linked rebels apologise after cutting off head of wrong person
Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham militants say sorry for decapitating a fellow extremist rather than enemy

Assad is fixin' to go all Romans on Carthage on what remains of the city of Aleppo pretty soon. This battle started last weekend, and it could be the climax of this war. Gonna be particularly bloody and ugly.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: "My Bad"

Post by Gunpowder »

howard wrote:Al-Qaeda-linked rebels apologise after cutting off head of wrong person
Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham militants say sorry for decapitating a fellow extremist rather than enemy

Assad is fixin' to go all Romans on Carthage on what remains of the city of Aleppo pretty soon. This battle started last weekend, and it could be the climax of this war. Gonna be particularly bloody and ugly.

Good one, the Onion.

Wait, what?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Al-Qaeda-linked rebels apologise after cutting off head of wrong person

It takes a big man to admit their mistakes and apologize. I think Al-Qaeda should be applauded for their courage.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote:

It takes a big man to admit their mistakes and apologize. I think Al-Qaeda should be applauded for their courage.
that was nice of you, syb, to give howard some swamp company on "the list."
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I've continued to follow this part of the world closely, even though I rarely post about it here anymore. But the events of the past few weeks have been mind-boggling. American awareness will be brought up to speed (well, through the fun house mirror of distortion of the corporate/imperialist media) with Putin's speech to the world on Monday. Hint-read the actual words, rather than rely on cnn/msnbc/fox/nytimes to tell you what he said.

In super brief, Putin has taken the abject failure of US policy as his opportunity to both secure his nation's interests and to put an end to the real threat of ISIS and other associated terrorists groups which have strengthened over the past couple of years. Tired of the chaos resulting from US actions, he is stepping in to take control.

Putin has forged an alliance of Assad, Iran, Hezbollah and even China. (A Chinese aircraft carrier and a missile cruiser have reportedly docked in Tartus today.) They have all pooled significant military assets on the ground in Syria, and are mounting a serious military offensive with the twin goals of protecting the Assad government control of the country ( including retaking control of lost cities and regions) and largely with Syrian/Hezbollah manpower and Russian/Iranian air, technical, intelligence and logistical support, wiping out ISIS.

The total numbers of Russian and Iranian deployed troops, aircraft, radar, missile, antiaircraft, tanks and artillery are not clear, but they are significant. They have already launched coordinated (with the Syrian army) ground and air attacks against ISIS-held territory.

Two weeks ago, Kerry and other DC sources were expressing surprise, befuddlement and concern at the Russian military presence. They even did incredibly stupid and childish things like twist the arms of the Greek and Bulgarian governments to deny passage of Russian transport planes through their airspace, and floated the media meme that the refugee crisis in Europe was Putin's fault (because he wouldn't let them conquer Assad). Obama shouted 'King Me!" in response to Vlad's "Check".

But, as they recognized the new realities which they never saw coming, over the last few days Kerry talked with Lavrov, the two defense ministers spoke, Netanyahu flew to Moscow (to be told to step the fuck aside), Obama will appear with Vlad on Monday afternoon, and yet another foreign policy debacle will be declared a victory.

It is a lot more complex. The actions of Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, the various flavors of islamic terror groups including the fictional 'moderate rebels', all kinds of fascinating twists and turns. But there's a new sheriff in town; a sheriff who has a coherent vision of how to best protect against American imperialist bullshit.

While I'm at it, this little piece I think perfectly represents Obama's foreign policy (I don't feel like firing up the Obama Meltdown thread).
Finger-Pointing, but Few Answers, After a Syria Solution Fails
WASHINGTON — By any measure, President Obama’s effort to train a Syrian opposition army to fight the Islamic State on the ground has been an abysmal failure. The military acknowledged this week that just four or five American-trained fighters are actually fighting.

But the White House says it is not to blame. The finger, it says, should be pointed not at Mr. Obama but at those who pressed him to attempt training Syrian rebels in the first place — a group that, in addition to congressional Republicans, happened to include former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Interesting stuff.

So Putin's doing a Trump and just rolling in to a place and getting things done.

Good for him.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shockingly, or not, I read that Trump expressed approval of the Russian intervention. I bet no other candidate says that.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I thought we were bombing ISIS back to the stone age? How can Russia wipe them out if we're already doing that?

I mean, it sounds inefficient to essentially bomb smoking bomb craters where ISIS assets once stood. Shouldn't the two countries co-ordinate a bit? Each one could wipe out half of ISIS, and then in October shift targets so that each one could wipe out half of the Taliban.

And people say this foreign policy stuff is hard.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This chick is awesome. Also, probably soon to be dead, but awesome, nonetheless.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd give her citizenship in my house.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Funny how folks assume Russia will be successful in the middle east.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The bar is pretty damn low. Can't do any worse.

And if success is maintaining Assad and their naval base at Tartus, again, low bar.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I can't believe the West would leave Russia to do the bulk of the dirty work against an army of genocidal maniacs.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
nastyned
Jackie Treehorn

Post by nastyned »

With the mess in the Middle East right now, who in their right mind would want to be president?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I can't believe the West would leave Russia to do the bulk of the dirty work against an army of genocidal maniacs.
Putin doesn't have the same goals as the Americans. The Russians don't need to dominate the entire middle east, nor do they need to defeat ISIS everywhere they exist. What is a hopeless morass for the Americans might be a congenial situation for the Russians.

Consider the American situation if it plays out that Iraq is basically split up between the current government, a Kurdish de facto state, and ISIS. And in Syria, Russia/Assad and ISIS push back the Kurds and eliminate the myriad 'rebel' and al Qaeda groups. What would the American military do in a fight between between Russia/Assad and ISIS? I don't think they will be flying bombing missions over the Russia/Assad positions or sending advisors to work with ISIS. The end game in Syria may well be Russia/Assad + USA v. ISIS. Allies again, just like in WWII. I'd bet on the former to at least push the latter out of Syria.

After that? There's never been such a chaotic multi-actor conflict. So who can say anything with confidence?

But my guess is that there will be a significant part of Syria under the governance of an Alawite/Assad group, backed by Russia and their military bases in the country. Perhaps Bashar al-Assad steps aside in a deal to placate the Americans. That would be a nice outcome, on multiple levels, for Putin and Assad. Not really a bad one for the USA either, in Syria at least, given that they had such a terrible hand to start with. Supporting the Assad regime after declaring him a genocidal war criminal would just be par for the American course in the Middle East.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

nastyned wrote:With the mess in the Middle East right now, who in their right mind would want to be president?
Nice!

And that singer woman is awesome. Hope she decides on a move to Canada.

US admits failure of Syrian policy. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... e26763771/
Officially the $500-million (U.S.) train-and-equip scheme, which put only a few dozen fighters in action, has been only “paused,” but senior officials admitted the basic strategy has been scrapped.

No longer will the U.S. seek to individually recruit, vet, train and equip supposedly moderate, secular, democratically inclined fighters who are willing to agree to combat Islamic State, the militant Sunni group that has carved a nascent caliphate out of western Iraq and eastern Syria.

Instead, the Pentagon will seek to back existing rebel groups such as the Kurds who – with the help of U.S. air strikes – retook the border city of Kobani from Islamic State earlier this year.
I'm no military strategist, but cherry-picking "supposedly moderate, secular, democratically inclined fighters" in the middle of a civil war doesn't seem like the most efficient way to do things.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Three day old report, unconfirmed. MIC doesn't want competition from selling cruise missiles. Russian models retail at 20% of Raytheon's price, go boom just as well.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Pretty good article on Russian actions in Syria. The topic is complex and defies summation in one article. He has several links to some interesting things, particularly Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Sec State Colin Powell.

Putin might be right on Syria: The actual strategy behind his Middle East push — and why the New York Times keeps obscuring it

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Turkey shoots down Russian jet. So, NATO, you wanna go to war w/Russia over this?

I'm sure Mr. Putin has anticipated such an event, and will have a cool, calculated and strategically logical response. Cuz that is how he rolls.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Uh oh.

Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

(And for pure entertainment value, can't wait to hear the G.O.P. candidates' takes)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:Turkey shoots down Russian jet. So, NATO, you wanna go to war w/Russia over this?

I'm sure Mr. Putin has anticipated such an event, and will have a cool, calculated and strategically logical response. Cuz that is how he rolls.
It sounds like Russia is insisting it could have been ground-to-air (and therefore Syrian rebels) while Turkey is insisting they did it?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I for one think it was high time turkeys starting fighting back this time of year.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Initially the Russian Foreign Ministry declared a ground-to-air was a possibility. But a couple of hours later Putin said directly that it was an air-to-air.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

A_B wrote:I for one think it was high time turkeys starting fighting back this time of year.
/slowclap
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:I for one think it was high time turkeys starting fighting back this time of year.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Russian military briefing. From the horse's, err, the bear's mouth: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Apparently El Chapo is threatening war against ISIS over destroyed drug shipments in the middle east:

http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/ ... 689840.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I hear ISIS took out a CIA shipment too. I'm not sure they can handle what's coming for them when Sinaloa/CIA coalition hits the ground. We've seen what they can do in Somalia and Serbia, not to mention Texas. Nobody destabilizes like these guys.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Smooth sailing for the Russians thus far:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... e-ihzauuvr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The first plane loads of Syrian refugees have started to arrive,

Here in Toronto, the Prime Minister was here to greet them along with the Premier (Governor) and the Mayor (not Rob Ford).

The whole thing makes it a bit dusty for me - school children put together welcome packages, people drove out to the airport to make the new arrivals feel welcome.

Very nice. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/12 ... -home.html

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Keg wrote:Smooth sailing for the Russians thus far:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... e-ihzauuvr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An op-ed piece in bloomberg.

If nine weeks makes a quagmire, what is 14 years in Afghanistan, 12 in Iraq?

Other media report quite differently. Slow, difficult progress, but that is how war goes:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-midea ... ZgWkcgD.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Keg wrote:Apparently El Chapo is threatening war against ISIS over destroyed drug shipments in the middle east:

http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/ ... 689840.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haaaa, yeah ISIS disapproves of the drugs. Islam maybe, but ISIS gets to sell that shit themselves.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A pretty significant development, which has been brewing according to scattered reports, but Putin just made officia todayl:

Putin says Russia backs Free Syrian Army alongside Assad troops

FSA has been the main anti-Assad group, heavily supported by the US over the last four years.
"The work of our aviation group assists in uniting the efforts of government troops and the Free Syrian Army," Putin told an annual meeting at the defense ministry.

"Now several of its units numbering over 5,000 troops are engaged in offensive actions against terrorists, alongside regular forces, in the provinces of Homs, Hama, Aleppo and Raqqa," he said, referring to the Free Syrian Army.

"We support it from the air, as well as the Syrian army, we assist them with weapons, ammunition and provide material support."

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

"Everybody come meet the newest Middle East rebel group we'll be arming!"

As long as the US and Russia back the same peeps there can be no WW3 for the moment, at least.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Gunpowder wrote:As long as the US and Russia back the same peeps there can be no WW3 for the moment, at least.
Until Turkey bombs them. Or France or the UK 'by mistake'. Syrian army troops were bombed from the air twice last week. Isis doesn't have an air force.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:A pretty significant development, which has been brewing according to scattered reports, but Putin just made officia todayl:

Putin says Russia backs Free Syrian Army alongside Assad troops

FSA has been the main anti-Assad group, heavily supported by the US over the last four years.
"The work of our aviation group assists in uniting the efforts of government troops and the Free Syrian Army," Putin told an annual meeting at the defense ministry.

"Now several of its units numbering over 5,000 troops are engaged in offensive actions against terrorists, alongside regular forces, in the provinces of Homs, Hama, Aleppo and Raqqa," he said, referring to the Free Syrian Army.

"We support it from the air, as well as the Syrian army, we assist them with weapons, ammunition and provide material support."
This is like Yugoslavia in World War II. In addition to the Germans, Italians, and Hungarians occupying the country, you had nationalist and anti-nationalist groups from several different nationalities, plus Communist and anti-Communist resistance in different areas, plus Fascist and anti-Fascist resistance groups in different areas.

Everyone was allied with everyone else and at war with everyone else at the same time.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.