Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by bfj »

Check out Bruce Bruce. That guy crushes. Legendary.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m about 15 minutes in and it’s pretty funny so far.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a really tough time dealing with Ari after he dosed Bert Kriescher with acid a couple of years ago. Very fucked up and he never really apologized.

Like, WTF dude.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:34 pm I have a really tough time dealing with Ari after he dosed Bert Kriescher with acid a couple of years ago. Very fucked up and he never really apologized.

Like, WTF dude.
It was Molly. I agree and don’t really like him, but this special is pretty funny.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:47 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:34 pm I have a really tough time dealing with Ari after he dosed Bert Kriescher with acid a couple of years ago. Very fucked up and he never really apologized.

Like, WTF dude.
It was Molly. I agree and don’t really like him, but this special is pretty funny.
Ari’s got some serious issues.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:21 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:53 pm Was gonna say the same, thanks for saving me the time Syb.

As I'm sure most of you guys know, for many years there was a black comedy circuit that was for all intents and purposes invisible to "White America." It still exists, for sure, but there are/were guys like Earthquake that are absolutely hilarious, but certain clubs shut them out (not the right demographic) or they just choose to go that route because it suite their style and wasn't as heavy a lift for them.

It wasn't actually just about comedy, as it encompassed musicians as well.

There's a funky name for it, but I don't feel like looking it up.

ETA - Ok, that's me being selfish and lazy. It was called the Chitlin' Circuit.
ETA2 - And the "circuit" was around for a very long time, before Earthquake was born, certainly.
Rush mentioned this book in an old Reading thread awhile back.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I'd heard of the Chitlin' Circuit in terms of southern soul and blues, but not in terms of comedy.

Wife was still in the comedy mood last night so we started Sebastian Maniscalco's new show on Netflix. We lasted less than 5 minutes. Just awful.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm still surprised that Ari hasn't tried to be retroactively cancelled since he had his The Amazing Racist bit a while back.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've never heard of that before with that guy but that's aggravated assault.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I mean, I'd be pissed too if I was about to record a podcast, but if someone wants to slip me some Molly, I'm not gonna argue.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:47 am I mean, I'd be pissed too if I was about to record a podcast, but if someone wants to slip me some Molly, I'm not gonna argue.
I gotta get to houston. If it weren't for the 32 lane highways I'd be there!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:51 am
Giff wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:47 am I mean, I'd be pissed too if I was about to record a podcast, but if someone wants to slip me some Molly, I'm not gonna argue.
I need to stay off social media until my 8th cup of coffee or my first bowl.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:39 am Wife was still in the comedy mood last night so we started Sebastian Maniscalco's new show on Netflix. We lasted less than 5 minutes. Just awful.
It's gotta be a short list now of middle-age, famous, white male comedians who can do a whole set without a "we can't say the words we used to say and everyone is a pussy" bit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:38 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:39 am Wife was still in the comedy mood last night so we started Sebastian Maniscalco's new show on Netflix. We lasted less than 5 minutes. Just awful.
It's gotta be a short list now of middle-age, famous, white male comedians who can do a whole set without a "we can't say the words we used to say and everyone is a pussy" bit.
That dude has released several specials and absolutely none of them even remotely appealed to me when I see the previews. I thought I was missing something and maybe was alone in thinking he wasn't that funny.

And that delivery of his? My God. The worst. I cannot stand his "forced voice through breath while being surprised" bit. Intolerable.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I want to hear that voice yelling at me, I’ll ride LIRR.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:52 am
A_B wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:51 am
I need to stay off social media until my 8th cup of coffee or my first bowl.
I lied. Fuck all those people.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’m sure I posted this already, but I had a very annoying experience at a Bert show once. He first had an entire “non-PC joke” with the premise that he couldn’t make those jokes anymore. While making the exact joke he said he couldn’t say any more. A 1,000 of us literally laid $50 a pop to hear you tell this joke you say you can’t tell anymore. Shut the fuck up.

Then about 15 minutes after the joke bemoaning his lack of free speech, he has someone removed from the show.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, interesting.

Some of these guys have over-saturated the market with their personas. All these Joe Rogan acolytes have podcasts and, like... I listened to a lot of them for awhile, and now I just really don't like them.

I'm not their target demo, so they aren't exactly fucking up, but... Comedians are fucked up people. Facts and no judgement. I'm borderline in that camp, I get it.

But seeing SO MUCH of them? It just gets old, sorry, not sorry.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:48 pm
That dude has released several specials and absolutely none of them even remotely appealed to me when I see the previews. I thought I was missing something and maybe was alone in thinking he wasn't that funny.

And that delivery of his? My God. The worst. I cannot stand his "forced voice through breath while being surprised" bit. Intolerable.
What's funny is that we turned it off before he said anything crude. Just a couple of unfunny riffs and that was it for us.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:19 pm Yeah, interesting.

Some of these guys have over-saturated the market with their personas. All these Joe Rogan acolytes have podcasts and, like... I listened to a lot of them for awhile, and now I just really don't like them.

I'm not their target demo, so they aren't exactly fucking up, but... Comedians are fucked up people. Facts and no judgement. I'm borderline in that camp, I get it.

Definite agree. Bert was funny as the dumb friend telling stories but once he got bigger and bigger (#bertisfat) he got insufferable.

But I'm still cool with Tom Segura. Mostly because I don't listen to his 9 hour long podcast every day. So he hasn't been played out to me.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Secret Time is still one of my favorite specials ever. We quote it all the same. “I don’t know you, stranger”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:19 pm Yeah, interesting.

Definite agree. Bert was funny as the dumb friend telling stories but once he got bigger and bigger (#bertisfat) he got insufferable.

But I'm still cool with Tom Segura. Mostly because I don't listen to his 9 hour long podcast every day. So he hasn't been played out to me.
I listen to Your Mom’s House when they have a guest. I skip over him and his wife talking.

I listen to 2 Bears when Bert isn’t there. I can’t listen to him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Watched Trevor Noah's new Netflix special (shot in Toronto in front of what looks like 12,000 people).

He's a good story teller, but just not all that funny.
Canadian International
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Elon Musk got booed repeatedly after Chapelle called him up on stage last night at the Chase Center in San Francisco. Chapelle was defending Musk after getting booed, as well.

The person who originally posted the video of it has since been kicked off Twitter, but the footage is still up in many, many places.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:02 am Elon Musk got booed repeatedly after Chapelle called him up on stage last night at the Chase Center in San Francisco. Chapelle was defending Musk after getting booed, as well.

The person who originally posted the video of it has since been kicked off Twitter, but the footage is still up in many, many places.
A bastion of free speech!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Who knew I’d come to hate Elon almost as much as Trump?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:05 am Who knew I’d come to hate Elon almost as much as Trump?
Trump, Musk, Kanye - Psychologists will be flooding the market soon with tomes about narcissism. These three are fascinating case studies.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can we stop making excuses for Chapelle now? He’s a piece of shit.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:33 am Can we stop making excuses for Chapelle now? He’s a piece of shit.
I am not ready to go full anti-Chapelle. Not a full supporter, but there are moments where he has some interesting perspectives (and equivalent number of big misses). I do believe he cares about community, but like anyone has bad views and takes (and in many cases trying to find the humor in these spaces is hard and dangerous).

and of course celebrity <> expert.....John Stewart is proving that too with his new show on Apple.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I still can't understand the dichotomy of Chappelle the guy who struggled with his message accidentally appealing to those who hate people like him and Chappelle the guy who is actively embracing the hate of / those who hate other embattled groups. Like the former took a lot of self-reflection and probably far too much responsibility for the issue and the latter ... has not or has actively rejected those things.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:42 am
Giff wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:33 am Can we stop making excuses for Chapelle now? He’s a piece of shit.
I am not ready to go full anti-Chapelle. Not a full supporter, but there are moments where he has some interesting perspectives (and equivalent number of big misses). I do believe he cares about community, but like anyone has bad views and takes (and in many cases trying to find the humor in these spaces is hard and dangerous).

and of course celebrity <> expert.....John Stewart is proving that too with his new show on Apple.
They’re both transphobes who perpetuate hate.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:16 pm

With you on the transphobes for Chapelle. Not sure I have seen that take from Stewart.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, what'd I miss with Jon??

I've always found him to be pretty spot on with his stuff.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:28 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:16 pm

With you on the transphobes for Chapelle. Not sure I have seen that take from Stewart.
I was talking about Musk.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thank Yahweh.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think it comes down to people who, when they were younger, understanding the disconnect of those in power (who are usually older) with those who aren't (and are usually younger) and being able to provide the necessary commentary between them.

Bill Maher is a corollary to this. And I've happened upon the phrase to describe them: "time stamp progressivism"

They've grown stagnant and unaware. They think that they don't need to change or that their positions from 20+ years ago are still the same.

Nope. You're the old guy in the room now, pal. And you fail to identify that you're what the younger folks are raging against.

*pushes up glasses* You see the same shit in business when a stalwart fails to innovate and adapt to the new thing. Same mindset, but on an individual level.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On Maniscalco, this is comedy!

(Seriously, what are these people laughing at? This is garbage.)

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:53 pm Watched Trevor Noah's new Netflix special (shot in Toronto in front of what looks like 12,000 people).

I was entertained by it. It was decent to me.

But I gotta be honest, I nailed the punchline to his closer/callback joke halfway through him telling it.

On a sidenote: whenever a comedian starts off a bit with "So this really happened to me recently, swear to God..." or some variation thereof, it 100% did not happen at all or it falls into the realm of "10%" truth. It took me way too long to realize that.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:17 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:53 pm Watched Trevor Noah's new Netflix special (shot in Toronto in front of what looks like 12,000 people).

I was entertained by it. It was decent to me.

But I gotta be honest, I nailed the punchline to his closer/callback joke halfway through him telling it.

On a sidenote: whenever a comedian starts off a bit with "So this really happened to me recently, swear to God..." or some variation thereof, it 100% did not happen at all or it falls into the realm of "10%" truth. It took me way too long to realize that.
[+] spoiler
Yeah - that entire Scottish dinner story just didn't work (for me). And I guessed the schadenfreude the 2nd or third time the waiter was teasing him.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:14 pm On Maniscalco, this is comedy!

(Seriously, what are these people laughing at? This is garbage.)

He is the Big Bang Theory of standup comedians. Wildly popular despite being completely bland and unfunny. I'm not a big fan of comedians that rely on doing stupid voices to get laughs.
-Pruitt