Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass »

My youngest is flying to Dublin this evening and will be staying with my wife's cousins in Northern Ireland (Co. Down) for about 5 weeks. She's 14 (will turn 15 during the trip) so we booked her as an unaccompanied minor so (if all goes as planned/advertised) my wife can go to the gate with her at EWK and my wife's cousin can pick her up at the gate on the other side.

I'm trying not to be too anxious about the travel logistics, or the fact that I'm supposed to go to bed this evening while she's on a plane due to land while I'm still asleep, or the fact that I think that about a week is the longest I've been separated from either kid since they were born.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:15 am My youngest is flying to Dublin this evening and will be staying with my wife's cousins in Northern Ireland (Co. Down) for about 5 weeks. She's 14 (will turn 15 during the trip) so we booked her as an unaccompanied minor so (if all goes as planned/advertised) my wife can go to the gate with her at EWK and my wife's cousin can pick her up at the gate on the other side.

I'm trying not to be too anxious about the travel logistics, or the fact that I'm supposed to go to bed this evening while she's on a plane due to land while I'm still asleep, or the fact that I think that about a week is the longest I've been separated from either kid since they were born.
So jealous, I would love to offload my youngest for 5 weeks...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit, it's EWR. Sorry.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Oh and also its a submarine
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sending your kid to Newark and Northern Ireland used to mean a call from social services.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:15 am My youngest is flying to Dublin this evening and will be staying with my wife's cousins in Northern Ireland (Co. Down) for about 5 weeks. She's 14 (will turn 15 during the trip) so we booked her as an unaccompanied minor so (if all goes as planned/advertised) my wife can go to the gate with her at EWK and my wife's cousin can pick her up at the gate on the other side.

Sounds both stressful and awesome. It sucks you'll miss her birthday, though, but it will be one she will always remember.*

*Unless her cousins get her blackout drunk.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Exciting times, Rass. Try to enjoy the excitement your daughter must be feeling!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Me passing other gates at the airport: “Wow that looks like a totally fun destination!”

Me at my gate: “Fuck this fucking shit we should drive”

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:30 pm Me passing other gates at the airport: “Wow that looks like a totally fun destination!”

This is so perfect.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ha

preach. every time i fly the entire experience seems to get worse - i actually used to have a pretty significant fear of flying which i realized only 2 weeks ago* is mostly gone...and i think it's mostly due to just having been in such an anxiety-filled environment for hours before (virtually every airport - anywhere) that the turbulence etc ends up being the relaxing part of the entire ordeal.

*Charlotte NC airport to/from Madrid. It probably is/was a nice airport [as much as such a phrase could exist. I always liked YVR to be fair.] at one point but aside from the entire bank of arrival/departure screens being down each day, the terminals are about 1/2 the size they need to be at *best* to accommodate the volume of travellers they do, or try to. Each wing is filled with people waiting for their flights in the hallways - there's literally no room.

i love a good road trip and prefer to flying 10 times outta 10 (ocean barriers excluded, sadly).

Nova Scotia trip next month - GET IN THE FAMILY TRUCKSTER, FAM!
Ryan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:30 pm Me passing other gates at the airport: “Wow that looks like a totally fun destination!”

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:34 am ha

preach. every time i fly the entire experience seems to get worse - i actually used to have a pretty significant fear of flying which i realized only 2 weeks ago* is mostly gone...and i think it's mostly due to just having been in such an anxiety-filled environment for hours before (virtually every airport - anywhere) that the turbulence etc ends up being the relaxing part of the entire ordeal.

*Charlotte NC airport to/from Madrid. It probably is/was a nice airport [as much as such a phrase could exist. I always liked YVR to be fair.] at one point but aside from the entire bank of arrival/departure screens being down each day, the terminals are about 1/2 the size they need to be at *best* to accommodate the volume of travellers they do, or try to. Each wing is filled with people waiting for their flights in the hallways - there's literally no room.

i love a good road trip and prefer to flying 10 times outta 10 (ocean barriers excluded, sadly).

Nova Scotia trip next month - GET IN THE FAMILY TRUCKSTER, FAM!

Charlotte airport sucks. Its ok to shit on it. Was really impressed with the new MSY in New Orleans.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I’d rather spend three days on a train than three hours on a plane.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

spending the money for the american express platinum card is very worth it (for us, anyway)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Proper mindset is key, so start working from the point that every other traveler in the airport is your enemy and that you are in a neutral, professional relationship with the airline.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Thought having access to the clubs would be an improvement.....too many people have access now with credit card, frequent flyers, other $ for access, etc...just as packed...a free beer ands apps is really not a big enough win....now Amtrack access to their club is not as crowded and more dignified.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

For me, the key with airports: Getting there almost stupid early. It's to the point now that we make sure we schedule our flights home early, because if we're given half a day prior to the flight, we're more often than not just going to get to the airport that much earlier.

But taking any kind of time crunch out of the equation just makes things so much less stressful. I know this is an obvious point, but I grew up with a mom that was constantly getting is to the airport 15 minutes before the flight. Literally, we were always running around and in real danger of missing the flight.

My wife showed me another way. It's beautiful.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:30 pm For me, the key with airports: Getting there almost stupid early. It's to the point now that we make sure we schedule our flights home early, because if we're given half a day prior to the flight, we're more often than not just going to get to the airport that much earlier.

But taking any kind of time crunch out of the equation just makes things so much less stressful. I know this is an obvious point, but I grew up with a mom that was constantly getting is to the airport 15 minutes before the flight. Literally, we were always running around and in real danger of missing the flight.

My wife showed me another way. It's beautiful.
Plus, the stress level before going through security >>> the stress level after having gone through security.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, we got TSA Precheck prior to all the stuff we just did and, man, that's a real stress reducer just in terms of the line and not having to shove so much stuff into your carry-on.

And repetition brings about a level of comfortability with a lot of the process.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Aside from a lack of decent food options, I don't mind airports at all.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:31 pm Yeah, we got TSA Precheck prior to all the stuff we just did and, man, that's a real stress reducer just in terms of the line and not having to shove so much stuff into your carry-on.

And repetition brings about a level of comfortability with a lot of the process.
You have precheck and you still get there way early?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:37 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:31 pm Yeah, we got TSA Precheck prior to all the stuff we just did and, man, that's a real stress reducer just in terms of the line and not having to shove so much stuff into your carry-on.

We've taken about 45 minutes or so out of play. Just taking Denver as an example, just getting from drop off to your terminal is a haul. And if you're dealing with returning a rental, that is not a quick and easy thing there.

As another example, depending on the time of day, if I'm leaving out of BWI or Dulles, the traffic can be so bad that even with precheck, you have to be really conservative with the clock. I once left 2 hours early to get to Dulles and a ride that typically takes 25 minutes took closer to 90. Cut that one close.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:59 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:37 pm

We've taken about 45 minutes or so out of play. Just taking Denver as an example, just getting from drop off to your terminal is a haul. And if you're dealing with returning a rental, that is not a quick and easy thing there.

As another example, depending on the time of day, if I'm leaving out of BWI or Dulles, the traffic can be so bad that even with precheck, you have to be really conservative with the clock. I once left 2 hours early to get to Dulles and a ride that typically takes 25 minutes took closer to 90. Cut that one close.
Plus, unless you're visiting the prairie any trip to Denver involves at least 30 minutes from the airport to the city
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:33 pm Aside from a lack of decent food options, I don't mind airports at all.
Same. I do get there fairly early most trips too. I'd rather just get the stress of security out of the way and when you know there's a lot of time on the other side, it makes that part less stressful.

If you have anyone in your party with even a remotely decent excuse to need a wheelchair, I can't recommend that enough. I made it through security with my Mom in like three minutes last month at SFO.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:04 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:33 pm Aside from a lack of decent food options, I don't mind airports at all.
Same. I do get there fairly early most trips too. I'd rather just get the stress of security out of the way and when you know there's a lot of time on the other side, it makes that part less stressful.

If you have anyone in your party with even a remotely decent excuse to need a wheelchair, I can't recommend that enough. I made it through security with my Mom in like three minutes last month at SFO.
I've been incredibly lucky at SFO. I always seem to hit TSA with no line at all, and there are some great food options at Terminal 3. Don't want to jinx it, but I like SFO. I think I'm lucky, most of my flying over the last decade is EWR-SFO, and there are so many flights and usually on the largest planes, that I don't run into issues. My wife flies to St. Louis all the time, and it's always a nightmare, mostly due to issues in EWR.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:42 am Thought having access to the clubs would be an improvement.....too many people have access now with credit card, frequent flyers, other $ for access, etc...just as packed...a free beer ands apps is really not a big enough win....now Amtrack access to their club is not as crowded and more dignified.
Back when I flew a lot, I had membership to the Delta club. It was awesome in airports where Delta was NOT a dominant airline, but not a benefit where Delta was prominent. Directly linked to crowd sizes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:19 pm

I've been incredibly lucky at SFO. I always seem to hit TSA with no line at all, and there are some great food options at Terminal 3. Don't want to jinx it, but I like SFO. I think I'm lucky, most of my flying over the last decade is EWR-SFO, and there are so many flights and usually on the largest planes, that I don't run into issues. My wife flies to St. Louis all the time, and it's always a nightmare, mostly due to issues in EWR.
Sucks to fly United or Southwest at SFO. Every other airline works pretty smoothly.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Flying as an unaccompanied minor is also pretty sweet as our kid was the first passenger they allowed on the plane.

(She made it to Ireland and thus far has had a great time)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just booked a flight to see my folks on my semi-annual trip home to FL.

Palm Beach Gardens is a nice balmy feels-like 108 today. I'll be there from July 4 to July 25. If I get 10k steps in that heat I'll drop 30 lbs. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:59 pm Flying as an unaccompanied minor is also pretty sweet as our kid was the first passenger they allowed on the plane.

(She made it to Ireland and thus far has had a great time)
Nice, meant to follow up on that...
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:52 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:19 pm

Sucks to fly United or Southwest at SFO. Every other airline works pretty smoothly.
Huh, I almost always fly United.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In my experience, the TSA lines at the United terminal were the longest at the airport. But I haven’t been on United at SFO for awhile, so maybe it’s gotten better.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:59 pm(She made it to Ireland and thus far has had a great time)
That's great to hear.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

One thing I know for sure is that you didn’t write this from the C Concourse at ATL. Just a murderer’s row:

Fayetteville, NC
Tallahassee
Little Rock
Columbia, SC
Pensacola
Gulfport/Biloxi

I could go on
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:50 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:42 am Thought having access to the clubs would be an improvement.....too many people have access now with credit card, frequent flyers, other $ for access, etc...just as packed...a free beer ands apps is really not a big enough win....now Amtrack access to their club is not as crowded and more dignified.
Back when I flew a lot, I had membership to the Delta club. It was awesome in airports where Delta was NOT a dominant airline, but not a benefit where Delta was prominent. Directly linked to crowd sizes.

I bought a Sky Club membership yesterday for the first time since Covid. Business travel seems to be picking up for me, and the combo of decent food, free booze and dependable Wi-Fi makes it worthwhile for business travel. In ATL, it’s often the only way to get away from the carnival out on the concourses. Not sure if it was wise to buy as opposed to applying for a card that gets me in for free, but hey, maybe that’s a good reason to start a new topic.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:56 pm

One thing I know for sure is that you didn’t write this from the C Concourse at ATL. Just a murderer’s row:

Fayetteville, NC
Tallahassee
Little Rock
Columbia, SC
Pensacola
Gulfport/Biloxi

I could go on
Good god. These are walkable.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:09 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:50 pm

I bought a Sky Club membership yesterday for the first time since Covid. Business travel seems to be picking up for me, and the combo of decent food, free booze and dependable Wi-Fi makes it worthwhile for business travel. In ATL, it’s often the only way to get away from the carnival out on the concourses. Not sure if it was wise to buy as opposed to applying for a card that gets me in for free, but hey, maybe that’s a good reason to start a new topic.
could theoretically expense it/classify it as a work necessity, no? buddy who travels for work expenses his because it ends up saving his expense report money on meals

I think the cost whether it's via card or straight up is worth it if you travel a lot. sure, there are times when the lounges are busy but I've still been able to find a spot and it's still far better than navigating the concourses. the AmEx works for us because when we fly Delta we can access their lounges and then access the AmEx lounges as well

obviously this is a different conversation for families/when kids are in the picture. and I'm not sure we're going to keep the card forever because the annual fee is steep. it at least pays for things like our NYT, WalMart+ and some streaming stuff though and the hotel and airline fee credits end up getting used as well.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Do AirBnB or VRBO require the hosts to reveal they have a ring camera with footage they can access of you nearly a week after check-out? I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm being harrassed by the lady we rented from last week about missing towels. We accidentally took two which we she alerted us to via message about two hours after we left. Got home and realized we had grabbed them. She wanted $20 for them (along with a $50 pet deposit she only mentioned at the time of booking three months ago, but didn't ever tell me I was actually supposed to be leaving her cash when we checked-out). Funny enough, one of my best friends is down there this week and is somehow staying in the condo right next door. So the host was fine with me sending the towels back with my friends and they dropped them off Sunday morning. Fast forward to last night and she sends me a message we had taken a third towel and wants $15. I told her we only took two and she only reported two. So she sends a still of her ring camera from when we were there showing two towels. One is one of the ones we sent back and the other is actually ours. I sent her a message showing the other one unfurled asking if she's missing a flamingo towel that looks just like one we've had for years.

But I'm really creeped out by here sending that image. It seems like a violation of privacy if it's not revealed.

Checked AirBnB's support page and disclosed devices are allowed for common places such as a front door or driveway. But the keyword there is disclosed, I would think and we didn't find out until last night. So, depending on her response to my latest e-mail, I'll be reaching out to them.

Also, if you are a host that just made $575 off of me for three nights, maybe don't wine about how expensive it is to be a host. No one forced you.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Giff is iiving a Family Guy episode: https://familyguy.fandom.com/wiki/A_Bottle_Episode
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Detailed analysis later but Yosemite is unsurprisingly rocketing up the standings. Good lord.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:34 pm Giff is iiving a Family Guy episode: https://familyguy.fandom.com/wiki/A_Bottle_Episode
OMG how did I not put this together myself. I'm ashamed.