The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Avram wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:33 am The voting BS is even worse when you see that voter suppression is getiing worse in an effort to disenfranchise poor and minorities, the shit with gerrymandering and now the Alabam State Senate saying we will never have a democrat elected again by putting special elections fopr the US Senate in their senate (something that corrected by a Constitutional Amendment).
What about what Scumbag Scott Walker is pulling in Wisconsin?

Scott Walker Is Literally Preventing Wisconsinites From Voting
The governor is deliberately denying Wisconsinites representation in the legislature by refusing to call special elections to fill open seats in the State Assembly and the State Senate.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:06 pm
Avram wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:33 am The voting BS is even worse when you see that voter suppression is getiing worse in an effort to disenfranchise poor and minorities, the shit with gerrymandering and now the Alabam State Senate saying we will never have a democrat elected again by putting special elections fopr the US Senate in their senate (something that corrected by a Constitutional Amendment).
What about what Scumbag Scott Walker is pulling in Wisconsin?

Scott Walker Is Literally Preventing Wisconsinites From Voting
The governor is deliberately denying Wisconsinites representation in the legislature by refusing to call special elections to fill open seats in the State Assembly and the State Senate.
I was referring to that in the first part of my comment. Yes, what Walker is doing is reprehensible, and anti-democratic, and unconstitutional
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 am
Rush2112 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 am
Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 pm The microcosm for me is the the Electoral College. That fucking thing needs to go. It probably kinda worked when the country was half its size, had more political parties, and a fraction of the population. But now it's old tech that needs a refresh. But if it insulates power and props up greed, it won't.
There needs to be something but straight up popular vote though. Candidates will basically hit NY, CA, TX, FL and say fuck all to everyone else. Flyover states are in a tizzy now when IA really doesn't mean shit, well.

(I'd also like to get rid of IA and NH as the first vetting of the candidates. Let's get someplace a tad more diverse, eh?

my question becomes...if enough voters live in these areas to pull an entire election, why not say fuck iowa and new hampshire and go to a straight popular vote? my vote has literally never mattered because I live in Texas which has been red since i was born...it would mean a lot more if my vote counted. honestly winning an electoral college but losing a popular vote shouldnt happen...my vote should be counted the same as someone in ohio or florida, and it just doesnt. more people would vote and would feel like their vote mattered if they actually mattered...even if all my vote did was cancel out a vote in bumfuck nebraska i would still feel better about it.
i just wanted to bump this to the next page because i mean it sincerely....why are we willing to devalue everyones vote to cater to people in small empty states? its not like candidates will never appear in the state or speak, they will just spend a couple less weeks pretending like new hampshire matters, and people will have some small semblance of a voice in electing the president again.

as an aside, does anyone actually know anyone who serves in the electoral college? ever met anyone with that vote? also isnt it fucked beyond all belief that we theoretically elect representatives to this electoral college, but in some states they are not bound by law to vote the same way their state did? you could theoretically have stealth electoralcollege members having a revolt andswinging an election. why are we okay with this potential problem?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Trump trying to beef with Jay-Z is ... going to go the way we all expect it will
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 am Trump trying to beef with Jay-Z is ... going to go the way we all expect it will
Trump’s greatest contribution to American society will be inspiring rap lyrics, verses and songs from guys that hate him. In the immortal words of Jeezy: “My President was black, now my President is wack.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

McCabe retiring earlier than his early was going to be. Which I'm sure is to get out of the spotlight. And I'm sure Trump will take credit for it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

“The ice caps were going to melt, they were going to be gone by now, but now they’re setting records,” Trump said.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The FISA memo. That's just a right-wing diversion of nothing, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 pm If I could give Swamp Gold to the one person on this board that I know reads my posts, it would have been Syb.

:-(
So calling you "fucking brilliant" isn't good enough? Man, tough crowd.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 pm The FISA memo. That's just a right-wing diversion of nothing, right?
Almost certainly.

Calling it a "memo" is already kinda misleading. It's a report written by Devin Nunes and maybe one or two other Republican Congressmen - and it's a report about what classified documents supposedly say. In other words, it's a report about what is said in documents that we can't read for ourselves.

So for it to have any validity, you have to be able to trust the people making the reports to describe the classified docs fairly and objectively.

I don't trust Nunes or Trey Gowdy or any of the other nutjobs to do that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If it had any validity, they sure aren't acting like it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So now Andrew McCabe is quitting.

That makes me nervous that there are some embarrassing texts or emails or whatever from him that we are going to learn about real soon.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trust the great "Private Eye" magazine out of England to nail it.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:22 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 pm The FISA memo. That's just a right-wing diversion of nothing, right?
Almost certainly.

Calling it a "memo" is already kinda misleading. It's a report written by Devin Nunes and maybe one or two other Republican Congressmen - and it's a report about what classified documents supposedly say. In other words, it's a report about what is said in documents that we can't read for ourselves.

So for it to have any validity, you have to be able to trust the people making the reports to describe the classified docs fairly and objectively.

I don't trust Nunes or Trey Gowdy or any of the other nutjobs to do that.
Exactly. It's a fucking ploy so they can say, "the Dems don't want you to see the memo!" Meanwhile, Nunes won't even let Republicans read the source material he supposedly used to write the memo, let alone Dems. He completely fabricated his findings. It reminds me of Joseph Smith interpreting the gold plates, but not letting anyone see the gold plates. So I have no doubt Nunes' memo says all sorts of horrible things, he is about the last Congressman whose word I would trust. Let some upstanding, trustworthy Dem read the source material, and tell us whether Nunes' conclusions are remotely fact based. So while Nunes, Gowdy, Gaetz and the rest are crying about Dems not wanting transparency, they are hiding the source info and supporting the only President ever who refuses to release his tax returns.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pmLet some upstanding, trustworthy Dem read the source material, and tell us whether Nunes' conclusions are remotely fact based.
I don't know if anyone in Congress is trustworthy, but a couple of Dem senators have said that they have seen the source material and that Nunes is full of shit.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:41 pm So now Andrew McCabe is quitting.

That makes me nervous that there are some embarrassing texts or emails or whatever from him that we are going to learn about real soon.
the how does it feel for your wife to be a loser thing is not surprising yet also stunning
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:41 pm So now Andrew McCabe is quitting.

the how does it feel for your wife to be a loser thing is not surprising yet also stunning
Christ!

At some point, someone just might take a swing at this asshole.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

House intel has started an "investigation" into DOJ and Mueller after voting to make the GOP memo public

Yeah, they're scared shitless
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm House intel has started an "investigation" into DOJ and Mueller after voting to make the GOP memo public

Yeah, they're scared shitless
Nouse Intel Committee under Hunes and Gowdy is a farce. I can't wait for the Dems to get control of the house so they can boot Nunes off every committee for ethics violations (assuming he gets reelected)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The word of the year is complicit.

Complicit.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Officially done as a democracy now, i see.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Every time something like this happens and a formerly sane person I know in real life applauds it, I understand more and more how dictators are enabled.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I will say that it is no surprise that Trump's approval rating at 36% is anywhere between 2 and 4 times what congress' approval rating is.

These people are rodents.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And they're not going forward with the Russia sanctions? WTF?

Edit:

We seriously need someone in the IRS to release the tax returns.

And eventually, during WW3, we need the rest of the world to save us instead.
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Laws don’t apply now.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Laws aren't necessary if the threat of creating a law is enough. I thought you guys knew that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Garry Kasparov:

“Incredible. Trump defies Congress to protect Putin, who attacked the US election to help Trump. Those are plain facts. Is is possible to believe he isn't compromised?”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Donors to Trump 2020 Get Name On Screen During State of the Union Address

Only on Trump's website, but this is crass, even for a Trump. An almost sacred rite of government turned into a huckster's pitch.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I asked about the FISA memo because I've been ignoring it. The only word I heard about it earlier was from the tinfoil hat-wearing fools on Facebook who believe in the Deep State, so I paid it no mind.

But Nunes was part of the transition team? The fuck? Seriously? Even if he was completely on the up-and-up (which he clearly isn't), how in fuck's name can he not be permanently recused from looking into an investigation on the president whose transition team he was a part of? That'd be a conflict of interest at a fucking McDonald's franchise, but it's now okay at the highest level of our democracy? Sure, I know the answer, but fucking hell.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

For the record, Democracy died right in the fucking open, for all to see.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm using a separate post. I need to wrap my head around this as a timeline.

In early 2016, GOP candidates hire Christopher Steele to dig up dirt on Trump.

After Trump secures the nomination, around summer 2016, Hilary's team then go forward with Steele's company to continue to dig up dirt on Trump.

Late summer 2016, information gleaned by Steele's dirt-digging leads to securing a warrant for a wiretap of Trump due to possible working with a foreign government, i.e. the fucking Russians, to swing OUR election.

Notwithstanding fucking Russia's help, Trump wins the electoral college and the presidency. For the sake of argument, fucking Russia's actions weren't successful in flipping any states, but everyone agrees that fucking Russia tried to interfere.

Congressman Devin Nunes works on Trump's transition team, November 2016-January 2017.

After Trump's inauguration, the FBI starts looking into the interference by the fucking Russians.

In April 2017 (or May, I can't recall exactly), Trump fires James Comey, the head of the FBI, the group investigating the interference by the fucking Russians.

In June 2017, Robert Mueller is enpaneled to lead the investigation of the interference in OUR election by the fucking Russians.

Congressman Nunes, who is also the head of the House Intelligence Committee, temporarily recuses himself, as he worked in the transition team for the candidate that the fucking Russians wanted in the White House so much they interfered in OUR election.

Later, Congressman Nunes returns to the oversight of the investigation.

At some point, the House Intelligence Committee, headed by Congressman Nunes who worked on the Trump transition team, holds a closed-door hearing regarding the work by Christopher Steele which was used to secure a warrant for a wiretap.

Although it's closed-door and classified, Congressman Nunes, who worked on the Trump transition team, drafts a memo outlining the hearing. Since he is the drafter of this memo, it is highly likely that his own biases or slanted view of the testimony comes into his writing (he's a human being, after all, and humans are biased by nature. He isn't an automaton.)

There are other members of the House Intelligence Committee who observed it, yet the only one being disclosed is Nunes', remembering that Nunes worked on the transition team for Trump, the candidate the fucking Russians wanted in the White House so much they interfered with in OUR election.

What am I missing?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That's a nice recap of what has killed democracy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fellas ... maybe this ... is ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am Fellas ... maybe this ... is ...
when Trump became President?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am Fellas ... maybe this ... is ...
Since we are now in an authoritarian state, I think we can retire this joke.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not until everyone gives up with the "this time Trump's clearly gone too far to recover!" or "this will be the thing Republicans won't stand for!" nonsense.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 am I'm using a separate post. I need to wrap my head around this as a timeline.

In early 2016, GOP candidates hire Christopher Steele to dig up dirt on Trump.

After Trump secures the nomination, around summer 2016, Hilary's team then go forward with Steele's company to continue to dig up dirt on Trump.

Late summer 2016, information gleaned by Steele's dirt-digging leads to securing a warrant for a wiretap of Trump due to possible working with a foreign government, i.e. the fucking Russians, to swing OUR election.

Notwithstanding fucking Russia's help, Trump wins the electoral college and the presidency. For the sake of argument, fucking Russia's actions weren't successful in flipping any states, but everyone agrees that fucking Russia tried to interfere.

Congressman Devin Nunes works on Trump's transition team, November 2016-January 2017.

After Trump's inauguration, the FBI starts looking into the interference by the fucking Russians.

In April 2017 (or May, I can't recall exactly), Trump fires James Comey, the head of the FBI, the group investigating the interference by the fucking Russians.

In June 2017, Robert Mueller is enpaneled to lead the investigation of the interference in OUR election by the fucking Russians.

Congressman Nunes, who is also the head of the House Intelligence Committee, temporarily recuses himself, as he worked in the transition team for the candidate that the fucking Russians wanted in the White House so much they interfered in OUR election.

Later, Congressman Nunes returns to the oversight of the investigation.

At some point, the House Intelligence Committee, headed by Congressman Nunes who worked on the Trump transition team, holds a closed-door hearing regarding the work by Christopher Steele which was used to secure a warrant for a wiretap.

Although it's closed-door and classified, Congressman Nunes, who worked on the Trump transition team, drafts a memo outlining the hearing. Since he is the drafter of this memo, it is highly likely that his own biases or slanted view of the testimony comes into his writing (he's a human being, after all, and humans are biased by nature. He isn't an automaton.)

There are other members of the House Intelligence Committee who observed it, yet the only one being disclosed is Nunes', remembering that Nunes worked on the transition team for Trump, the candidate the fucking Russians wanted in the White House so much they interfered with in OUR election.

What am I missing?
Didn't Nunes at some point run over to the White House to report to the Trump admin the results of the hearing?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I usually enjoy the spectacle of the SOTU but don't think I can stomach it tonight.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 am I usually enjoy the spectacle of the SOTU but don't think I can stomach it tonight.
Yeah, hard pass. I'm watching hockey.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!