Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by rass »

An old DiA thread from an old Swamp.

Based on that, I think he was still over there when this place started up, but I can't find a thread about it here (either).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I should really remember to remind rass to link to the old Swamp more often

February 5, 2013
Giff wrote:Rockets killing the Warriors late in the 4th, they have tied the NBA record for threes in a game, crowd is chanting for another three despite the lead, Rockets players try to oblige, and Warriors start to intentionally foul because they know they have no shot of stopping the Rockets like real basketball players. 140 points, bitch.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote:I should really remember to remind rass to link to the old Swamp more often

February 5, 2013
Giff wrote:Rockets killing the Warriors late in the 4th, they have tied the NBA record for threes in a game, crowd is chanting for another three despite the lead, Rockets players try to oblige, and Warriors start to intentionally foul because they know they have no shot of stopping the Rockets like real basketball players. 140 points, bitch.
Congrats to the 2013 Golden State Warriors, your 2015 NBA Champs!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

rass wrote:An old DiA thread from an old Swamp.

Based on that, I think he was still over there when this place started up, but I can't find a thread about it here (either).
Thanks for looking, Rass. I'll go ahead and start a new thread, DTP be damned.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Keg wrote:Is there an existing Australia travel thread?

I could not find one using obvious key words, but I could have swore one existed.
Prob when SeattleDave1 moved there.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Hug your kids today. I saw a 9 year old get hit and dragged under a truck last night in Ocean City. No idea if he's alive or dead. I couldn't sleep because all I could hear when I closed my eyes was his sister screaming. Really fucking me up right now.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus Christ.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fucking hell, I hope he's ok.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

He's in critical condition at a hospital in DC.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Safe to assume drunk driver given its OCMD?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:Safe to assume drunk driver given its OCMD?

No, kid darted into the street for some reason. According to what I could find this morning, no charges are being filed against the driver (52 year old guy).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Then add another Jesus Christ. Can't imagine being that guy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Then add another Jesus Christ. Can't imagine being that guy.
Happened to a guy I went to high school with. He was driving one day, middle of the day picking up a pizza and a six-year-old kid ran out right into the road in front of his car. Kid died instantly. It basically fucked up the life of the kid who hit him (He was still in HS at the time, like 17 years old) because he couldn't ever put it behind him, which is understandable. He ended up becoming an alcoholic, doing drugs, etc. (In HS he wasn't doing any of that kind of stuff.) Unfathomable how you would be able to deal with that, whether it's the family of the kid who got hit or the person driving the car.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj wrote:Hug your kids today. I saw a 9 year old get hit and dragged under a truck last night in Ocean City. No idea if he's alive or dead. I couldn't sleep because all I could hear when I closed my eyes was his sister screaming. Really fucking me up right now.
Kid is alive and recuperating in a DC hospital. No back, brain or neck damage. Internal injuries and broken bones. Expected to make a full recovery.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, today I was driving my daughter and two of her friends home. Loud in the car. Residential street - going about 20 mph. I see a blur flash across my field of vision. Woman shrieks. [bump]. Oh, shit! What did I hit?. I stop and get out of the car. A man has rushed over and is holding his dog in his arms. A little corgi-ish dog. His wife is sobbing. I blurt, "I am sooo sorry! I didn't even see him!" Man says, "it's not your fault. We should've had him on the leash. He darted in front of you!"

Then, he and his wife ran with their dog to their car and rushed off to the vet's office, leaving me standing alone in the street. I figure the dog is probably ok, because he was quietly responsive with no visible damage, and wasn't even whimpering. I certainly hope he's ok. Intellectually, I know I wasn't at fault. But, I still feel horrible and guilty. The kids in my car were very cool and reassuring to me, which was nice. But, man, I don't think I'll sleep well tonight. Ack.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:Then add another Jesus Christ. Can't imagine being that guy.
Same thing happened to a guy I know. Was driving to work one morning and a high school kid ran out from between two parked cars (he was trying to catch a bus on the other side of the street). My friend never had a chance to slow. Kid was in a coma for a week or so before the family pulled the plug.

I never really talked with him about it (didn't know him all that well...more of an acquaintance), but I know he was pretty messed up about it for a while.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not sure where to put this...but get this:

BRISTOL PALIN ANNOUNCES SECOND PREGNANCY
A teenage Bristol first made waves in 2008 when she was pregnant with her son, Tripp, during her mother's vice presidential campaign. Bristol and Levi Johnston, Tripp's father, had plans to get married but the couple called it quits in 2010. The conservative blogger famously advocated for abstinence after Tripp's birth, and later went on to star in her own reality series "Bristol Palin: Life's a Tripp."

“When life gets tough, there is no other option but to get tougher. I know this has been, and will be, a huge disappointment to my family, to my close friends, and to many of you,” Bristol said in her post. “But please respect Tripp’s and my privacy during this time. I do not want any lectures and I do not want any sympathy.”
(highlights are mine)

So 1)she is a paid spokesperson, advocating for abstinence, and then 2)announces that its a huge disappointment (that kid is going to love hearing that as he grows up, and 3) she doesn't want any lectures, despite having lectured everyone else in the world about abstinence and against Gay Marriage.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That family is the worst. And she was engaged to Medal of Honor winner Dakota Meyer. Key word being "was."

Now I'm curious if the baby is his or possibly another guy's. I'm just glad that he split before that family could use his award as some sort of political talking point.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I read somewhere recently that Sarah Palin's contract with Fox News was not renewed. Back to Wasilla, hillbillies!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:That family is the worst. And she was engaged to Medal of Honor winner Dakota Meyer. Key word being "was."

Now I'm curious if the baby is his or possibly another guy's. I'm just glad that he split before that family could use his award as some sort of political talking point.
Occam's Razor would suggest that Bristol was getting some on the side, got knocked up, and her Fiancee figured it out and broke off the engagement. But now Radar Online is reporting that Meyer is the father.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Johnnie wrote:That family is the worst. And she was engaged to Medal of Honor winner Dakota Meyer. Key word being "was."

Occam's Razor would suggest that Bristol was getting some on the side, got knocked up, and her Fiancee figured it out and broke off the engagement. But now Radar Online is reporting that Meyer is the father.
It says that Bristol is telling people that he's the father. No matter if it's true, when you're in that situation, is there any other alternative?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

Occam's razor would probably suggest it was the guy she was actually with, no?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Occam should razor that baby out before it has to grow up in that family.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

BSF21 wrote:
A_B wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Occam should razor that baby out before it has to grow up in that family.
That's fantastic.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't understand the acclaim, appeal, or success of Jared Leto in any capacity whatsover. He appears to me as the very definition of "unremarkable".
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

He's got at least one remarkable characteristic
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Heart throb of women of the age to have been 13yo when My So-Called Life aired? The reciprocal of middle aged men who are gaga for Claire Danes.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Top bun!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:So, today I was driving my daughter and two of her friends home. Loud in the car. Residential street - going about 20 mph. I see a blur flash across my field of vision. Woman shrieks. [bump]. Oh, shit! What did I hit?. I stop and get out of the car. A man has rushed over and is holding his dog in his arms. A little corgi-ish dog. His wife is sobbing. I blurt, "I am sooo sorry! I didn't even see him!" Man says, "it's not your fault. We should've had him on the leash. He darted in front of you!"

Then, he and his wife ran with their dog to their car and rushed off to the vet's office, leaving me standing alone in the street. I figure the dog is probably ok, because he was quietly responsive with no visible damage, and wasn't even whimpering. I certainly hope he's ok. Intellectually, I know I wasn't at fault. But, I still feel horrible and guilty. The kids in my car were very cool and reassuring to me, which was nice. But, man, I don't think I'll sleep well tonight. Ack.
Oh that is awful. I cam close to hitting a dog and was so distraught I almost puked afterwards.

Fingers crossed...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Pruitt wrote:
sancarlos wrote:So, today I was driving my daughter and two of her friends home. Loud in the car. Residential street - going about 20 mph. I see a blur flash across my field of vision. Woman shrieks. [bump]. Oh, shit! What did I hit?. I stop and get out of the car. A man has rushed over and is holding his dog in his arms. A little corgi-ish dog. His wife is sobbing. I blurt, "I am sooo sorry! I didn't even see him!" Man says, "it's not your fault. We should've had him on the leash. He darted in front of you!"

Oh that is awful. I cam close to hitting a dog and was so distraught I almost puked afterwards.

Fingers crossed...
One Saturday, on the way to the races, driving through Haledon, my uncle hit a small dog. I was 12 or 13. It was maybe a little older than a puppy. I heard a man and a kid yell first, then bump. The kid screamed hysterically, I just hid mortified in the back of the car but I got a brief look at the dog after the owner scooped him up next to my window. There was just a lot of commotion for two minutes at best. A blur. Then my uncle and cousin got back in the car and we left for Middletown. I just remember that kid screaming and crying. The car we were in, a '77 Camaro, later became my first car in '89.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife is sitting across from me, and shifted her legs so I can see up her skirt just as Father Figure started to play on the radio. The fire still burns.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:My wife is sitting across from me, and shifted her legs so I can see up her skirt just as Father Figure started to play on the radio. The fire still burns.
I hope you both have been tested recently.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Air Force authorized morale shirts to be worn on Fridays a year or so ago. The unit I'm in is finally jumping on the bandwagon and we were told to come up with something.

My squadron is currently a "detachment" off of the higher level of "group." So we go by "Det 1" in day to day conversation.

My initial idea was a picture of Pinocchio with the phrase "One day we'll be a real squadron!" It got laughs, but was ultimately viewed as condescending and discarded. The joke being that we're a phony unit that is trying too hard to be something it isn't against all regulations.

Then I threw out a joke one of "Let's have a unicorn and a rainbow with the tag line 'Life is Det-1-derful!' then." Initially it too was discarded. So I quickly made up a photo of a logo in PowerPoint. When I showed it around they all laughed and thought it was hysterical. Even my commander.

I find out today that they actually chose it because of how silly it was. I found that pretty awesome despite the fact I hate where I work, can't wait to leave it for good, and made it up as kind of a 'fuck you' because who puts unicorns and rainbows on a friggin military affiliated t shirt? Apparently the joke is on me, but still kinda funny nonetheless.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Show it to us, Johnnie.

(NO... I meant the shirt design!)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Almost literally nothing makes me angrier than when a blogger ranks flavors of snacks or something and half the entries are like "I'm not normally a salt and vinegar person anyway, so..."

Go shit in your hat.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:I find out today that they actually chose it because of how silly it was. I found that pretty awesome despite the fact I hate where I work, can't wait to leave it for good, and made it up as kind of a 'fuck you' because who puts unicorns and rainbows on a friggin military affiliated t shirt? Apparently the joke is on me, but still kinda funny nonetheless.
A story of similar sarcasm borne of job loathing (aided by the fact that somehow no one had seen Office Space) is how my audit firm thought Hawaiian shirt Saturday* was actually a really fun idea.

* Busy season!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If it weren't for the regulation that shirts must be a single solid color, Hawaiian shirt was my initial go-to from when the Air Force started it all with tye-dye a close 2nd.
sancarlos wrote:Show it to us, Johnnie.

(NO... I meant the shirt design!)
It's big and black. You're welcome.

I kid. I have it saved at work. I'll post it tomorrow.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My cat is cracking me up. He's a big-ass black tomcat, and he's been shedding. So I took one of those masking tape rollers you use on your clothes, and started rolling it all over him. He loves it so much, he's drooling, purring, and clawing me (in a friendly way). Went through four sheets of tape and only stopped because I got tired of it. He wanted more, for sure.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'll let one of you other guys do the "quote and edit" thing to the previous post.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I'll let one of you other guys do the "quote and edit" thing to the previous post.
You could really just ellipsis-out "cat" and it would be glorious.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!