Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by sancarlos »

Kinda walked right into it, didn't I?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I internally debated whether or not my orgeat would still be good for a full minute and decided it would and then I put it in my sparkling water but now I'm thinking it wasn't good and that I made a big mistake so everyone please pray for me ok thanks!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:I internally debated whether or not my orgeat would still be good for a full minute and decided it would and then I put it in my sparkling water but now I'm thinking it wasn't good and that I made a big mistake so everyone please pray for me ok thanks!!!
Is it homemade or an off-the-shelf orgeat? And if the latter, which brand did you buy?

I made some homemade orgeat about six weeks ago and finished it off earlier this week. It was perfectly fine.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So whenever Jim Carrey comes up, I instantly think about Jim Carey the Net Detective. What a fast interesting NHL career. One of only 4 Americans to win the Vezina.

He is now a CEO of a medical billing company
http://www.optimedsolutions.com/management.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Happy Canada Day!

Off to the backyard to read - I live close enough to a huge park so I'll be able to see tonight's fireworks from the end of the street.

But I am the exception - most Canadians love a great mid-week party. (The NDP is our official opposition party):
NDP Leader Tom Mulcair starts his day with two citizenship ceremonies and a lawn bowling tournament in Toronto.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:Is it homemade or an off-the-shelf orgeat? And if the latter, which brand did you buy?

I made some homemade orgeat about six weeks ago and finished it off earlier this week. It was perfectly fine.
Off the shelf, Small Hands. Very good. I usually make almost anything I can versus buying but I've read so many bartender and foodie site quotes saying orgeat is one of those things its just not worth trying because you won't match. Like how some chefs are all "we don't use anything premade ... except Hellmann's". Now I feel like I have to try. What's your recipe?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:
Sabo wrote:Is it homemade or an off-the-shelf orgeat? And if the latter, which brand did you buy?

Off the shelf, Small Hands. Very good. I usually make almost anything I can versus buying but I've read so many bartender and foodie site quotes saying orgeat is one of those things its just not worth trying because you won't match. Like how some chefs are all "we don't use anything premade ... except Hellmann's". Now I feel like I have to try. What's your recipe?
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011 ... tails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will say my syrup wasn't bursting with almond flavor, but that's probably my fault for using almonds I've had on my shelf for at least six months. Getting something fresher most likely would make it more flavorful. Finding orange flower water for that recipe took some scrounging. I visited at least six stores thinking it would have it, but I only found it in a Middle Eastern market about 20 minutes from my house. At least I picked up some great curry powder while I was there, too.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's such a great website, easily my go-to now for any sort of lookups. The main science-y dude has a book coming out sometime this year.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:That's such a great website, easily my go-to now for any sort of lookups. The main science-y dude has a book coming out sometime this year.
It's no Thug Kitchen
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

D have you read this (or at least perused, it's not a cover to cover read by any means)

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:Happy Canada Day!

Last edited by Rush2112 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

My financial adviser asked me to sign a form but omit my middle initial. If I alter my signature, doesn't it cease to be my signature?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:My financial adviser asked me to sign a form but omit my middle initial. If I alter my signature, doesn't it cease to be my signature?

Jesus H. Christ.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote:D have you read this (or at least perused, it's not a cover to cover read by any means)
I have not; I'm a masssive science dummy. The reason Lopez-Alt works for me is because he speaks at dummy levels and uses tons of pictures.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Burt Bacharach is still alive.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote:Burt Bacharach is still alive.
You'll get him next time.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The woman who played Scarlett's best friend Melanie in Gone with the Wind - Olivia de Havilland, is still alive.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

How about Giff? Is he okay?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:How about Giff? Is he okay?
Number 6 last I checked.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Burt Bacharach is still alive.
You'll get him next time.
Deceptively quick at 87.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Herb Alpert is also still alive.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dick Van Patt....oh fuck.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Abe Freakin' Vigoda.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So what does a "poke" on Facebook mean? My cousin, who I haven't met in person since I was in college, over 30 years ago, poked me. So how am I supposed to respond?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dick pic.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

I rarely watch CNN. However, in going through the TV listings tonight, I discovered shows on the Seventies.

All you young whippersnappers should watch this to get a clearer idea of what happened in the 70s. Viet Nam. Watergate. Rioting in the streets. An amazing period of time for this country.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I wish I had been a man of means in the early 70s. Would have seen so much prog rock live....and probably worn more kimonos and capes than a man should.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:I wish I had been a man of means in the early 70s. Would have seen so much prog rock live....and probably worn more kimonos and capes than a man should.
Me too.

At one point, I owned 7 King Crimson albums.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So whenever Jim Carrey comes up, I instantly think about Jim Carey the Net Detective. What a fast interesting NHL career. One of only 4 Americans to win the Vezina.

http://www.optimedsolutions.com/management.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His brother had a cup of coffee with the Orioles also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:So whenever Jim Carrey comes up, I instantly think about Jim Carey the Net Detective. What a fast interesting NHL career. One of only 4 Americans to win the Vezina.

His brother had a cup of coffee with the Orioles also.
Paul Carey had an awesome moment in time.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Driving back from the beach yesterday with the fam and a neighbor friend, we played 20 questions. It had to be a person. The friend - 13-year-old rising high school freshman - was up. We had narrowed it down to a living, male, American musician who played guitar and was a lead singer. After going through a number of guesses - including discovering that this kid didn't know who Tom Petty is - we were stumped. I should point out that this kid plays piano and guitar and has a YouTube channel of himself singing various popular songs, including some Ed Sheeran stuff and Yesterday by the Beatles.

Just before we got to 20 questions, we learned that the answer - the American musician - was Paul McCartney. Yes, he had no idea that The Beatles were from England.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

He's also the bass player.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Related car game note: Friday driving into NYC via the Holland, Quin's "I spy" clue was "something that is green and also holding fire and a big book".
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:He's also the bass player.
Yeah, I hit him with that too. At least he knew he was alive.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I last played 20 questions with my wife (then girlfriend) and niece on a drive from Santa Cruz to Lake Tahoe. I was the only one to win, I was able to stump them with Topher Grace.
mister d wrote:Related car game note: Friday driving into NYC via the Holland, Quin's "I spy" clue was "something that is green and also holding fire and a big book".
Until holding a big book, I would've guessed Derek Jeter's penis.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

One more beach story. So my younger son has a friend down there at the condo that he sees sometimes. I've met the kid and fished with him a few times, but only met his dad, not his mom.

Well, yesterday we were out at the beach when I saw the boy walking down the beach toward us, along with his sister and mom. Holy fuck is his mom hot. She's popped out three kids (between 9 and 12), but damn. She's got a tight little body and she was wearing a skimpy bikini - not a momkini. I tell you, having a lengthy conversation on the beach with your wife (wearing running clothes) and a very hot woman in a bikini is extremely mentally taxing.

Sorry, no pics. My wife might have picked up on that.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ohhhhhhhh, marriage.

My crossfit gym is geared towards the civilian spouses mostly. Being the single active duty guy means I'm in the minority (pun!). Some of these women are really hot and others simply aren't (Google "dependapotamus"). I look and flirt with some of them but nothing more. I'm happy to not be mentally taxed - even when some of them try their Marriage-Fu "I'm the boss" tone and look with me.

It's pretty liberating to go "I'm sorry. Do I look like your husband? That bullshit doesn't work on me. Thanks for playing." Or something like "That death stare is cute. Do you expect me to die now or something?"

The other dudes in the room chuckle and I remind myself to never, ever get married.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:One more beach story. So my younger son has a friend down there at the condo that he sees sometimes. I've met the kid and fished with him a few times, but only met his dad, not his mom.

Well, yesterday we were out at the beach when I saw the boy walking down the beach toward us, along with his sister and mom. Holy fuck is his mom hot. She's popped out three kids (between 9 and 12), but damn. She's got a tight little body and she was wearing a skimpy bikini - not a momkini. I tell you, having a lengthy conversation on the beach with your wife (wearing running clothes) and a very hot woman in a bikini is extremely mentally taxing.

"Dude, why didn't you tell me your mom was so fucking hot?" [/Shirley punching kids arm]
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
Shirley wrote:One more beach story. So my younger son has a friend down there at the condo that he sees sometimes. I've met the kid and fished with him a few times, but only met his dad, not his mom.

"Dude, why didn't you tell me your mom was so fucking hot?" [/Shirley punching kids arm]
"Wait, you're sure that's not your sister, right?"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, his sister was right there. Not nearly as hot though.
Totally Kafkaesque