Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:Took the kids to see Moana yesterday (pretty good, I liked it better that Sing!, which quite frankly could have used more singing) and not only is The Rock a passable singer, they gave him an insanely catchy song. You're welcome!
EGOT!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Definite O nomination.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy shit, The Jungle Book.

Old story, very well told... but visually, it has to be seen to be believed. My jaw dropped early on, and later, reading about how it was made, it dropped yet again.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of reminds me, my wife and I were watching Boyhood the other day and towards the end of the movie she asked how I thought they were able to cast so many kids who look like the boy in the movie. I'm usually pretty good with my poker face in those situations, but I think I actually said something like "are you joking me?"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I thought everyone knew that Hollywood has a book of SAG members who are identical triplets and quadruplets. Up to that level it's easy to deal with look-alikes. However, more than that and it really raises the hourly rates. I have no idea how they handled those multiple Agent Smiths in the last Matrix movie. Perhaps quintuplets plus mirrors. Also, I didn't see the fishing line that was employed in the flying scenes. Now that's high tech.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Some of you may be a bit too young to understand this...some maybe too old..but lots will find this right in their sweet spot
https://www.outsideonline.com/2059181/u ... -dog-movie
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Some of you may be a bit too young to understand this...some maybe too old..but lots will find this right in their sweet spot
https://www.outsideonline.com/2059181/u ... -dog-movie

I read that article some time ago and I saw that movie way back when. Porky's on skis. But I skied a lot in those days, and Shannon Tweed's breasts, so of course I saw that silly flick.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

My buddy had cable. I did not. I saw that movie in 10-15 increments over about a month.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

First 'R' movie I saw. My buddy had one of those huge satellite dishes I his yard. Many a weekend nights scouring the pay channels for this movie. It will always have a place in my heart. Thank you Mrs. Simmons.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I have seen a bunch of movies recently as I have splashed out on an unlimited movie card. Here are my micro reviews (Obviously I was bored during the school holidays):

Silence: Too long and too indulgent, beautifully shot.
Rogue 1: Great fun, well worth a viewing with some great set pieces.
I Daniel Blake: Best film I have seen in a long time, will not suit a non Brit audience.
Passengers: Just horrible, everything about it was bad.
Assassins Creed: Worse than Passengers, which in itself is an achievement.
Office Christmas Party: Terrible, but better than the two above as it had a couple of laughs.
Arrival: Not too bad at all, I was surprised how much I liked it.
Fantastic beasts and where to find them: Really good fun, a nice addition to the HP movies.
Doctor Strange: Man love for BC continues, this was well worth the trip.
The girl on the train: Good film even though I have read the book.
Jack Reacher - Never go back: Terrible, I liked the first one, but Werner Herzog was unable to be involved in the second.
Inferno: Terrible, I have no idea why I went to this as I was not surprised how bad it was.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Two things about the mission impossible rogue nation movie:

-the big bad looks spot on to lexingtons mayor.

-the female lead is sexy as hell. Not sure she is super pretty but she is sexy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ibtake it back. She's beautiful and sexy.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I watched that over the weekend, too. Not sure on the mayor, but agree on the female British agent. Cruise is going to die doing a stunt, right?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'll post comparison pics tomorrow. Phones suck.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The big bad:

Lexington Mayor Jim Gray

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched 2 interesting documentaries

Weiner- Unbelievable story because it is true. Just wild. Not sure why he thought it was a good idea to bring cameras into his run for Mayor after being busted.

Finders Keepers--All about the guy who finds a leg in the smoker he got at a storage auction. The guy just wants his leg back. Great story, amazing cast of characters (who are real people).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think OJ: Made In America is the best documentary movie in history.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Watched 2 interesting documentaries

Weiner- Unbelievable story because it is true. Just wild. Not sure why he thought it was a good idea to bring cameras into his run for Mayor after being busted.
Was it hubris? Did he think the cameras would keep him in line? That movie is crazy - there are at least three shots of Weiner walking into a room hiding his tablet and looking guilty.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

One of the few movies that wasn't for kids that I've seen in a theater in, oh, twenty years is Manchester-by-the-Sea. And it was really good. Almost bleak enough for my tastes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My local movie cineplex is showing two different Bollywood movies, and the times mean there has to be overlap and not just a "Foreign Screen". I don't recall that ever before.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:My local movie cineplex is showing two different Bollywood movies, and the times mean there has to be overlap and not just a "Foreign Screen". I don't recall that ever before.
Thanks, Obama! Thank God we get to take our country back in 9 days.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched "Captain Fantastic" over the weekend. Viggo Mortenson as a newly widowed father with 6 kids living off the grid in the backwoods of Montana. Pretty good stuff.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The fam and I decided to be good citizens this weekend, so we watched Selma on Sunday night. It has pretty universally good reviews, so we were optimistic.

Well ... let's just say that I assume a lot of critics were afraid to be honest about the movie, given its subject matter. Man, was it boring. If THAT was really MLK, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been leading anyone. The actor looked pretty much like King, but didn't have the voice (which is fair - who does?) or 1/10 of the charisma.

The movie wasn't awful, but it was far from great. I really wish we'd have just tracked down a way to watch the Eyes on the Prize documentary instead.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If it makes you feel any better, I watched Selma and Dear White People back-to-back a couple MLK days ago. I like Tessa Thompson. She's cute.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched a great movie on Netflix last night: Sing Street. About an Irish high school kid in the mid 80's who starts a band to impress a girl.

Done by the same guy who did "Once" and "Begin Again".
Watched it last night - very sweet. Really good movie.

And the nailed the music of that era perfectly.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The Natalie Portman/Jackie Kennedy movie just seems like its existence was inevitable. There's like a 90% overlap between people who are obsessed with Jackie and people whose favorite actress is Natalie Portman.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched "Captain Fantastic" over the weekend. Viggo Mortenson as a newly widowed father with 6 kids living off the grid in the backwoods of Montana. Pretty good stuff.
Just watched it. It is very good, very moving and Viggo Mortensen (and the kid who plays the oldest son) are very very good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've seen five of the best picture nominees - Hacksaw Ridge, Arrival, Manchester by the Sea, Fences and Moonlight. Fences is far and away the best one I've seen yet. The acting in that movie is flat out spellbinding.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Life, Animated is really touching and well done. It's about a grown autistic man making it through young adulthood, but it does harken back to a lot of childhood to understand his coping mechanisms.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote:La La Land is great.

Oh man. I wanted to like this movie. I didn't. Stone is pretty good. But having just watched fences she pales versus viola Davis, who isn't even nominated in the same category.

ETA: viola davis in fences may be the greatest performance by an actress I have ever seen. It's that good even accounting for trecency bias.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched a great movie on Netflix last night: Sing Street. About an Irish high school kid in the mid 80's who starts a band to impress a girl.

Done by the same guy who did "Once" and "Begin Again".
Just watched it. So fun. Dumb it didn't get a Best Song O nomination.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The rocks song from Moana is better than that fucking city of stars song. Jeez.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched "Sully" last night. Good, well made, but very very very "by the numbers". Tom Hanks could have played that role in his sleep (and probably did). And poor Laura Linney, reduced to the "partner on the phone" role. Geez...she's a great actor! Someone find her a good role!

Am very suprised that Aaron Eckhart's mustache didn't get nominated for "Best Supporting Facial Hair".

That thing was dominate.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:Wild Tales is the most entertaining movie I have seen in a long time (maybe since Inglorious Basterds.

I can't praise this movie enough - from start to finish it just kept getting better. It's an anthology of six stories ranging in length from 5 minutes to a half hour, and each story is about revenge. A couple of the stories are funny (and one is insane), a couple are suspenseful...

I won't give anything away about any of the stories, but each of them is brilliantly told.

Watched it again last night. Such a great movie. I will again urge people to watch it (it's on Netflix).

Also watched The Search For General Tso - short and entertaining documentary about Chinese Food and Chinese immigration to the U.S.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw "Hidden Figures" last night. Inspiring story, but again, like "Sully", completely by the numbers. Nothing happened that was surprising in anyway. But still a good movie.

Janelle Monae was great though. And it was weird seeing someone other then Ed Harris playing John Glenn.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Saw Lego Batman. Rather disappointed. I guess I was expecting too much after Lego Movie. At least the kids and wife enjoyed themselves.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Finally saw the first John Wick over the weekend. Pretty fun, and as far as revenge fantasies go it's pretty hard to beat the inciting incident.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Me and the little ones saw the Lego Batman Movie. I didn't see the first Lego movie, so I did enjoy it.

Also saw Split last week. It was damn good. James McAvoy was intense. And they played it straight; there wasn't a Shayamaltwist that upended the prior 120 minutes.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The first Lego movie is great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched Arrival. Liked it, nothing more than that.

Wife and daughter loved it, and it's very well-made, but that's about it.