Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Re: College Football November 2014

Post by Keg »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Keg wrote:
brian wrote:Prediction on Alabama/Mizzou spread? I'm thinking Bama -20. Wonder what the largest CCG spread ever is?
2011 Pac-12 Championship game should have had a pretty big spread. UCLA (6-5) was coming off of a 50-0 beat down by USC (who was ineligible), and had to go to into Autzen vs #8 Ducks. Wiki says the Ducks were a 4 point fav, but I find that hard to believe.
-31 here
Thank you for finding that, Bronto.

UCLA fired Rick Neuheisel after the USC debacle, which I am sure added a few points to the giant spread.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Hoke's staff is on recruiting trips... today. The folks over at MGoBlog are freaking out (which means fuckall, but just to share the general tone of a section of the fan base.)
I know this is new territory for Michigan, but with no practices to prep for in the next three months, what does that segment of the fanbase think should they be doing? Heck, some of Syracuse's coaches may have been on planes yesterday (to do visits today). The only real difference is that the guys in orange were able to make reservations a couple weeks ago without fear of change fees.
Yeah, that's just it though -- Michigan fans are spoiled to the point where they don't realize if a coach technically still has a job he's out recruiting. The irony is one of the main reasons Hoke isn't going to be dangling very long is how badly this year's recruiting class has been poached. The interim AD has to made a decision and do it fast. I know he's waiting on Harbaugh but he may not have that luxury.
I don't think they're being spoiled, as they are saying exactly what you just said. If you know a coach visiting you is about to get shitcanned, how productive is that recruiting trip? Fire him so that at a minimum you aren't sending Dead Coach Walking out to further spoil the recruiting well.

It might be standard practice to, I dunno, keep those guys busy? But it's pretty stupid.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Hoke's staff is on recruiting trips... today. The folks over at MGoBlog are freaking out (which means fuckall, but just to share the general tone of a section of the fan base.)
I know this is new territory for Michigan, but with no practices to prep for in the next three months, what does that segment of the fanbase think should they be doing? Heck, some of Syracuse's coaches may have been on planes yesterday (to do visits today). The only real difference is that the guys in orange were able to make reservations a couple weeks ago without fear of change fees.
Yeah, that's just it though -- Michigan fans are spoiled to the point where they don't realize if a coach technically still has a job he's out recruiting. The irony is one of the main reasons Hoke isn't going to be dangling very long is how badly this year's recruiting class has been poached. The interim AD has to made a decision and do it fast. I know he's waiting on Harbaugh but he may not have that luxury.
I don't think they're being spoiled, as they are saying exactly what you just said. If you know a coach visiting you is about to get shitcanned, how productive is that recruiting trip? Fire him so that at a minimum you aren't sending Dead Coach Walking out to further spoil the recruiting well.

It might be standard practice to, I dunno, keep those guys busy? But it's pretty stupid.
I don't know if you've ever gotten to a point where it's obviously you're going to be fired, but the move there isn't to just sit on your ass at home and watch TV instead of going to work, especially if you want to get another job some day in the same industry where people talk.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not taking issue with the coaches, I get it. I'm taking issue with the interim AD for not ending this thing Sunday, yesterday latest.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I'm not taking issue with the coaches, I get it. I'm taking issue with the interim AD for not ending this thing Sunday, yesterday latest.
Yeah, I get that, but I'm not going to kill Hackett too much without knowing the facts. They might just have a standing meeting on Tuesdays and it made more sense to get his ducks in a row before that. You're dealing with lawyers, buyouts, etc. Obviously I assume they had most of that crap ready before the tOSU game, but it's not like firing Hoke on Sunday is going to make more a statement for the fanbase or the future coach. It's pretty obvious they want to make a run a Harbaugh or Miles and neither of those guys is going to go to Michigan in the next few weeks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Of course, kids they are recruiting now do not give a shit about Donovan McNabb since he was at Syracuse when they were in diapers and the truly great players who wore 44 at Syracuse were all in the NFL before 1970 (unless there are tons of closet Rob Konrad fans on high school football teams).

Perhaps they should hire McNabb to monitor their calls?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:I'm not taking issue with the coaches, I get it. I'm taking issue with the interim AD for not ending this thing Sunday, yesterday latest.
Yeah, I get that, but I'm not going to kill Hackett too much without knowing the facts. They might just have a standing meeting on Tuesdays and it made more sense to get his ducks in a row before that. You're dealing with lawyers, buyouts, etc. Obviously I assume they had most of that crap ready before the tOSU game, but it's not like firing Hoke on Sunday is going to make more a statement for the fanbase or the future coach. It's pretty obvious they want to make a run a Harbaugh or Miles and neither of those guys is going to go to Michigan in the next few weeks.

The reason the fanbase is on edge... one of the reasons... is how poorly they've dealt with this in the past. Carr was known to be retiring for a loooong time. What we got out of that foreknowledge was an absolutely terribly managed Les Miles courtship that ultimately landed with a weird thud on Rodriquez*. The writing on the wall for him being shitcanned was probably in bigger, bolder lettering than this season for Hoke, and how was that search managed... Surprisingly, it went worse, as it was pretty clear to most that Harbaugh wasn't interested and candidates after that were a hodge podge of mediocre HC's and let's take a flier coordinators.

I'm not really disagreeing with your central point, at all. I'm just relaying my personal opinion (which is seemingly shared by folks closer to the situation) that there's a danger this thing follows this pattern of relative ineptitude. I definitely care too much to be as objective as you, so I appreciate your thoughts and I'll take one foot off the ledge... for now.

* There are still people arguing "if only they'd paid for a def. OC, Rodriquez would be thriving at MI!"... Which, I dunno man. It's obviously lala land wishes and nuts territory. With or without a def. coord, this was a guy that actually played D in college and should've known better than that weird ass 335 he was seemingly fine going down in flames with.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rush2112 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Of course, kids they are recruiting now do not give a shit about Donovan McNabb since he was at Syracuse when they were in diapers and the truly great players who wore 44 at Syracuse were all in the NFL before 1970 (unless there are tons of closet Rob Konrad fans on high school football teams).

Perhaps they should hire McNabb to monitor their calls?
Or, as has been commented on a message board that I've seen, since the offense is now going in a different direction (positive? mediocre?), they've told him they're pulling his offer and the kid is just trying to save face, especially because the coaching staff cannot comment on recruits until after signing day, leaving his side of the story as the only one.

But, we all know how reliable message board people are.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brady Hoke with the pink slip.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Colorado State coach Jim McElwain has rebuilt the program admirably in his three years. Sadly, but not surprisingly, that makes him a rumored candidate for jobs at bigger programs. In this case, he is being mentioned in the local media regarding the Florida head coaching job. Notably, his previous job was as offensive coordinator for Alabama.
Don't think it'll be Florida but he's gone for sure.
Looks like it's a done deal.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian