NFL 2017 Season Discussion

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: NFL 2017 Season Discussion

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Joe K wrote:Man would I love to see some sanctimonious media member try to question Marshawn about that. The degree to which he just does not give a shit about the ceremonial aspects of pro sports is so great.

Agreed, am disappointed I haven't already seen quotes of people asking him about it.

SF Chronicle wrote:Del Rio was surprised that Lynch sat during the anthem and talked to him afterward. (Lynch was long gone by the time the locker room doors opened).

“He said, ‘This is something I have done for 11 years. It’s not a form of anything other than me being myself,’” Del Rio said. “I told him I very strongly believe in standing for the national anthem. But I respect him as a man and he can do his thing.

“So, it’s a non-issue for me.”

He's done this for 11 years? How did we not notice? (Yes, I understand he meant "be himself" for 11 years.)

And, I'd love to have seen Del Rio's reaction if it had been a third-stringer.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In a bubble, it's the perfect reaction. State your disagreement then put his right to manage himself in front of your right to manage him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Coaches aren't the ones holding this thing up. I want to see owners comment.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Got to have the Kaepernick discussion with my father-in-law Friday night. Unsurprisingly, my father-in-law is happy that Kaepernick is unemployed because he is a veteran. Realized on Sunday morning (when it was too late) that I should have said, "Well, we both sat here during the national anthem on television before the Giants-Steelers game. How is that any different?" (I had a discussion with him prior to the election last fall - it included him mentioning that he, a 70-year-old with brain damage from a motorcycle accident 12 years previous, wanted to get a concealed carry permit "in case something happened" - that abruptly ended when I asked him if he had ever met a Muslim.)

And then, there's this.

https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/stat ... 6265714689

We'll see.

ETA: I am really hoping some star white players get involved. No offense to multiple-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman and Charlottesville native Kyle Long, but I'm talking "recognizable face" white players.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

rass wrote:https://twitter.com/Giants/status/897118004663767042

Guess Janoris Jenkins was a one-year wonder.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So if he's choosing to take the simplistic "this means he hates America / the military" approach versus actually addressing the player's stated reasons, how would he handle this from Michael Bennett: "First of all, I want people to understand that I love the military. My father's in the military. I love hot dogs like any other American. I love football like any other American. But I don't love segregation. I don't love riots or oppression."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:So if he's choosing to take the simplistic "this means he hates America / the military" approach versus actually addressing the player's stated reasons, how would he handle this from Michael Bennett: "First of all, I want people to understand that I love the military. My father's in the military. I love hot dogs like any other American. I love football like any other American. But I don't love segregation. I don't love riots or oppression."

Poorly.

Like, I don't think he can handle the nuance of "the flag is just a piece of fabric and the song is just a song, each person views them as he or she does knowing that they are not actually America and sitting during the anthem doesn't mean he or she hates America/the military/puppies born in the United States." Knowing how he was prior to the accident, I feel comfortable that the head injury is not a contributing factor to this.

To clarify, Kyle Long has not said anything about whether or not he'll protest (I don't think he was asked). Media outlets have gotten reaction to this weekend's events from him and his brother, so I picked him as an example as a white NFL "star player" who is relatively anonymous.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And, of course, Kaepernick has actually voiced lots of support for the military, not that the haters pay any attention.

Sept 2016 article in "The Nation" wrote:Last night, joined by his teammate Eric Reid, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the national anthem in continuation of his protest against police violence.

His effort to shine a light on our broken system was met with boos from the San Diego crowd at a game that had been long advertised as “military appreciation night.” The fans registered their disapproval, despite the fact that Kaepernick’s protest has nothing to do with the military.

In fact, Kaepernick stood and clapped on the sidelines when members of the military were recognized on the field. Kaepernick has said explicitly, “I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. This country isn’t holding up their end of the bargain… men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That’s not right.”

As the trending hashtag #VeteransforKaepernick has shown, there are thousands of vets who object to the idea that it somehow “honors” them to try to shut Kaepernick up. When Army Ranger Rory Fanning was asked why he sat in solidarity with Kaepernick at a Cubs game he said, “Kaepernick’s protest is resonating with soldiers who feel like they’ve been lied to. One thing that has come across clearly from so many soldiers’ tweets and posts is that soldiers do not feel like they are risking their lives so the state can kill with impunity here in the United States.”

And yet despite all of this, Kaepernick’s protest continues to be framed by too many as an affront to the armed forces....
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:And, of course, Kaepernick has actually voiced lots of support for the military, not that the haters pay any attention.

Sept 2016 article in "The Nation" wrote:Last night, joined by his teammate Eric Reid, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the national anthem in continuation of his protest against police violence.

His effort to shine a light on our broken system was met with boos from the San Diego crowd at a game that had been long advertised as “military appreciation night.” The fans registered their disapproval, despite the fact that Kaepernick’s protest has nothing to do with the military.

In fact, Kaepernick stood and clapped on the sidelines when members of the military were recognized on the field. Kaepernick has said explicitly, “I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. This country isn’t holding up their end of the bargain… men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That’s not right.”

As the trending hashtag #VeteransforKaepernick has shown, there are thousands of vets who object to the idea that it somehow “honors” them to try to shut Kaepernick up. When Army Ranger Rory Fanning was asked why he sat in solidarity with Kaepernick at a Cubs game he said, “Kaepernick’s protest is resonating with soldiers who feel like they’ve been lied to. One thing that has come across clearly from so many soldiers’ tweets and posts is that soldiers do not feel like they are risking their lives so the state can kill with impunity here in the United States.”

And yet despite all of this, Kaepernick’s protest continues to be framed by too many as an affront to the armed forces....

Exactly. None of the detractors are actually listening to Kaepernick or his former teammates (who awarded him a team leadership award last season), or paying attention to the great work he's done for charity (he's been incredibly generous with his money and time). He's just become the lightning rod for people who think athletes should "shut up and play." But of course that mentality correlates strongly with right-wing politics, which is why those same people don't care about guys like Elway, Belichick, Cutler and Brady openly supporting Trump.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

People love the troops so much more than they love the ex-troops.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...no one at ESPN has seen Get Out? Or taken a history class? Or even know how an auction draft works?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Can't believe that made it on the air.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's just...I mean, how many people signed off on that?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Without clicking, is this better or worse than the Steve Phillips(?) fake press conferences?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:Without clicking, is this better or worse than the Steve Phillips(?) fake press conferences?

You've gotta click. So much worse. Or better, really, if by better you mean worse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I saw something the other day in a headline about the auction draft with an auctioneer. I thought it was hokey, but whatever. It's fantasy football season, so whatever. Gimmicks away, ESPN.

But then you see the actual video and it's like "OMGWTFSTOPSTOPSTOP. YOU'RE AUCTIONING BLACK PEOPLE. DON'T DO THIS."

But I thought ESPN was liberal tho. Clay Travis approves of this.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If I were a Colts fan, I'd have started getting really concerned about Luck within the past week. Shoulder injuries are not gimmes - there's a cointoss element to the healing. Drew Brees came back and apparently Cam Newton will too but Braxton Miller did not and neither did a lot of MLB pitchers. I'll never throw effectively again (unless I did the surgery all over again and had a better result). It's been 7+ months, he should be throwing again if it all went well.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote:I saw something the other day in a headline about the auction draft with an auctioneer. I thought it was hokey, but whatever. It's fantasy football season, so whatever. Gimmicks away, ESPN.

But then you see the actual video and it's like "OMGWTFSTOPSTOPSTOP. YOU'RE AUCTIONING BLACK PEOPLE. DON'T DO THIS."

But I thought ESPN was liberal tho. Clay Travis approves of this.

Why are you such a racist, Johnnie?

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/8 ... 5399137281
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This fucking guy.

(Travis. Not you, obvs.)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

It's a fantasy draft. I didn't read anything more into it. Other than apparently black people don't play fantasy football in Connecticut.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It did look really bad, but shit happens. I assume ESPN apologized for the optics, which if so....we can all get on with our lives. Nothing to crucify them for.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think the reactions were pretty over the top too. Fantasy sports auctions have been going on for decades.

The Steve Philips press conferences were way stupider.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

brian wrote:It did look really bad, but shit happens. I assume ESPN apologized for the optics, which if so....we can all get on with our lives. Nothing to crucify them for.

Don't give them any Good Friday programming ideas
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:I think the reactions were pretty over the top too.

I had a looooooong debate with a friend about this ... people need to take the 3rd side of these situations way more than they do. If you're not offended, it doesn't have to mean the people offended are overreacting, it could just be a situation you should abstain from and let others hash out. If Beckham sees that and says "whatever, its a fantasy auction", that's fine. If he sees it and says "fuck, that looks like a slave auction" and then someone explains its a fantasy football auction and then he softens, that's fine. If he sees it, knows full well what a fantasy auction is and still thinks the imagery is way over the line, that's fine. I'm not black, I don't have any idea how it really feels to know my great-great grandparents were property so I have no basis at all for what it would be like to see ESPN auctioning me off. The proper reaction isn't mine to determine.

(Off to the side ... I've done fantasy auctions and I understand how slave auctions worked. If you just drew the layout of the scene with Xs in place of people, 100 out of 100 people would have guessed it was a slave auction, not a fantasy auction. This whole thing was avoidable by simply doing a skit showing an actual fantasy auction. If ESPN ever missed (an omnipresent version of) Simmons, its right here.)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Also...what do people have to say about the combine?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Good points but short of some sort of review of Charleston historical records there aren't many that really know how slave auctions were held. And I agree that it looked like what I think a slave auction would have been like but somehow I figure it was actually less organized and transparent.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Good points but short of some sort of review of Charleston historical records there aren't many that really know how slave auctions were held. And I agree that it looked like what I think a slave auction would have been like but somehow I figure it was actually less organized and transparent.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Rex wrote:Also...what do people have to say about the combine?

Modecai Brown wrote:They fucking suck.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Had they just put ten nerds around a fucking table in a conference room with one guy running the auction, like in what I imagine an in-person auction draft normally looks like, they wouldn't have had this problem.

If only the leading face of their fantasy sports coverage had experience in the television industry and could have imagined what that might have looked like on screen...

Seriously, though, can't imagine he had any involvement with that. He did email me several years ago because he didn't like how he was named in a "Fuck Jeeves" thread title in the Swamp.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote:

I had a looooooong debate with a friend about this ... people need to take the 3rd side of these situations way more than they do. If you're not offended, it doesn't have to mean the people offended are overreacting, it could just be a situation you should abstain from and let others hash out. If Beckham sees that and says "whatever, its a fantasy auction", that's fine. If he sees it and says "fuck, that looks like a slave auction" and then someone explains its a fantasy football auction and then he softens, that's fine. If he sees it, knows full well what a fantasy auction is and still thinks the imagery is way over the line, that's fine. I'm not black, I don't have any idea how it really feels to know my great-great grandparents were property so I have no basis at all for what it would be like to see ESPN auctioning me off. The proper reaction isn't mine to determine.

(Off to the side ... I've done fantasy auctions and I understand how slave auctions worked. If you just drew the layout of the scene with Xs in place of people, 100 out of 100 people would have guessed it was a slave auction, not a fantasy auction. This whole thing was avoidable by simply doing a skit showing an actual fantasy auction. If ESPN ever missed (an omnipresent version of) Simmons, its right here.)

Fair enough. The biggest problem may simply have been timing. Last weekend was absolutely the wrong time when people are already fired up. They also should have done it with just the players name, not a big picture of him. Hell, if they'd gone with Tom Brady instead (and I can't believe they didn't), it's probably a non-issue as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Had they just put ten nerds around a fucking table in a conference room with one guy running the auction, like in what I imagine an in-person auction draft normally looks like, they wouldn't have had this problem.

If only the leading face of their fantasy sports coverage had experience in the television industry and could have imagined what that might have looked like on screen...

Seriously, though, can't imagine he had any involvement with that. He did email me several years ago because he didn't like how he was named in a "Fuck Jeeves" thread title in the Swamp.

The above. When I do my yearly baseball auction live, it's middle aged and now older than middle aged dudes in a room, and doesn't remotely resemble a historic slave auction, which that pretty much did. It was fucking weird, like the people who thought it up have never participated in a live fantasy auction. It really was damn near the Get Out scene.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Had they just put ten nerds around a fucking table in a conference room with one guy running the auction, like in what I imagine an in-person auction draft normally looks like, they wouldn't have had this problem.

Wait. What?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal wrote:

Wait. What?

Yes, berry interesting.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not sure what it matters at this point.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:

This is basically my reaction as well. I get the sense that a lot of NFL players hate fantasy football to begin with -- if they get injured or are struggling, they're worried about their health or livelihood, not the effect on some random Twitter troll's office fantasy league. Then the optics of how this was presented clearly pissed off players like Beckham as well. I don't think ESPN had any ill intentions, but they were trying to fill airtime for their ridiculous 24+ hour marathon and got a bit tone deaf.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the Atlanta Falcons will shortly be opening their brand new stadium! It has a Chick-Fil-A restaurant in it! But, Chick-Fil-A restaurants are not open on Sundays! And, they will not be bending that rule for the Falcon games!
link
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Franchisee? Or corporate?

Because someone is a complete idiot.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Not all of the concessionaires really care all that much about the building's secondary tenant.