Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:I saw the Decoding the Brain episode, and it was well done. I've always been fascinated by the structure and functioning of the brain. Some scientists have successfully imprinted memories into a mouse's brain, basically a learned helplessness experience where the shock scenario was implanted, not actually learned through experience. They also showed doctors implanting electrodes into the hippocampus of epileptics to prevent seizures. The coolest thing, they could measure the gap between when the subconscious brain made a decision and the person believed they made a conscious decision.

I see the episodes are available for free on IMDB. No idea you could watch shows on IMDB.
The Brain With Brian Eaglemann is a fascinating show as well.

http://video.pbs.org/program/brain-david-eagleman/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
The Sybian wrote: I saw the Decoding the Brain episode, and it was well done. I've always been fascinated by the structure and functioning of the brain. Some scientists have successfully imprinted memories into a mouse's brain, basically a learned helplessness experience where the shock scenario was implanted, not actually learned through experience. They also showed doctors implanting electrodes into the hippocampus of epileptics to prevent seizures. The coolest thing, they could measure the gap between when the subconscious brain made a decision and the person believed they made a conscious decision.
Did they show the experiment where they implanted the Jennifer Aniston image memory, and then where able to make it "fire" by showing that image?

I'll have to watch that episode. I would guess a fair number of the scientists involved in it work here at the Institute.
Here's the original article (it was work done by Christof Koch, who is our Chief Scientific Officer:
Invariant visual representation by single neurons in
the human brain

and here's a shorter excerpt:
Searching for the Jennifer Aniston Neuron
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

l loved Fargo, start to finish, although I have to say that I liked season 1 (2014) a bit more.

And, did you catch this tidbit?
As fans of the first season noted, the second season ends with Zahn McClarnon’s now-fugitive Hanzee assuming the new identity of Moses Tripoli. Mr. Tripoli was the mob boss who employed Sam Hess, the bully who pestered Martin Freeman’s Lester Nygaard in Season 1 that helped set off that chain of bloody events. Mr. Tripoli also had two henchmen, Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers — one who is hearing impaired just like one of the boys playing in the field the last time we see Hanzee at the end of Season 2.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Loved it. And I noticed young Wrench and Numbers playing catch, and the language Hanzee used, "not apprehended, dead; kill and be killed;" from both series.

Mike Millikin got a raw damn deal; I hope we will see him again in flashback or flash forward, even just a quick bit. I'm betting we'll see him playing golf.

And the Emmy goes to…Kirsten Dunst!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Started both Narcos and Fargo this week. Both are excellent. Also, I'm halfway through The League. I should have these knocked out shortly.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

howard wrote:I tired The Leftovers. Very cool, different, I dig it, four episodes in. Holy Wayne is awesome.
On the Swamp's word only, I've started on this show. I like it. A couple episodes in so far.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Started watching W1A on Netflix.

A BBC comedy about the incompetence and bureaucracy at the BBC. Very funny through 2 episodes (8 episodes over 2 seasons - how very British).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

howard wrote:Loved it. And I noticed young Wrench and Numbers playing catch, and the language Hanzee used, "not apprehended, dead; kill and be killed;" from both series.

Mike Millikin got a raw damn deal; I hope we will see him again in flashback or flash forward, even just a quick bit. I'm betting we'll see him playing golf.

I watched the Finale last night, and it was awesome. How about Ed basically asking for a divorce with his last dying breath?

And Dunst was awesome, but I really liked Ted Danson.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
howard wrote:Loved it. And I noticed young Wrench and Numbers playing catch, and the language Hanzee used, "not apprehended, dead; kill and be killed;" from both series.

I watched the Finale last night, and it was awesome. How about Ed basically asking for a divorce with his last dying breath?

And Dunst was awesome, but I really liked Ted Danson.
Sorry if it's been asked, but can I watch Fargo season 2 without having seen season 1?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sex Machine - Yes, absolutely. It's a prequel, so some of the folks and occurrences are related, but, frankly, I hadn't remembered a bunch of stuff from Season 1 and it had no bearing whatsoever on my enjoyment of this season.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote:Sorry if it's been asked, but can I watch Fargo season 2 without having seen season 1?
Abs. Completely stands alone. There are a small number of callbacks to Season 1 that you won't even notice, and if you watch 1 after 2, you'll get those references and smile just the same.

This guy Noah Hawley has done extraordinarily great work on this show. Exceptionally great television.

eta: That story that Lou told Peggy in the car about the Chinook helicopter evacuating Vietnam at sea at the end of the war, is a true story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-him.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This is one of the best skits in years on SNL

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, I think I slept through the rest of the episode but managed to catch that. Very funny.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Holy crap - that's great on a lot of levels.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think Mike is killed by Billy Bob in the first season while Key and Peele sat outside the building.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Three episodes of Fargo left, so if somehow the answers to these questions spoil something, by all means ignore me and let me find out on my own. Otherwise, a couple of things I'm not clear on...

A) why did Brad Garrett's character send Mike away from what turned out to be the first big shootout with the Gerhardts?

2. Why did Mike and his guys stop short of killing Floyd when they shot up he Gerhardt compound (and killed Otto)?

I think I'm enjoying this season more than last. The Jethro Tull opening to episode 7 was fantastic.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A) I'm not sure, I don't remember that action clearly, but I don't think the answer spoils anything

2) This is answered in the next episode.

iii) wait until you hear Sabbath's War Pigs.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote:

I think Mike is killed by Billy Bob in the first season while Key and Peele sat outside the building.
I don't think so. That was Hanzee Tripoli's mob that got shot up.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Plus, three black men on the same block in downtown Fargo just strains credulity too far.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:Plus, three black men on the same block in downtown Fargo just strains credulity too far.
To that point, given all the shit Mike has gotten from his higher ups, I wonder if (in regards to my question above) he was sent off because he was black and KC didn't want to risk irking the local guy they were trying to butter up?

I've gone back and read a couple of reviews and no one mentions that specific event in that scene, so no big deal?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

War Pigs scene... That alone should get the show an Emmy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

TBS debuting the new Rashida Jones show Angie Tribeca (created by Steve and Nancy Carrel) in a binge watch format on 1/17. Interesting. Says no commercials, which seems kinda stupid, but I guess they have to see if it works to compete with the streamers.

Show looks decent at best. Basically Police Squad without Leslie Nielsen. Which isn't a terrible idea but will be hard to pull off.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

For those of you watching The Leftovers, can you explain to me like a 5 year old what happened at the end of Season 1. Did the cult just get ransacked and torched by the townies for no apparent reason or did that have something to do with Wayne granting a wish to Kevin? Also, how did Nora get Wayne's baby? Did that have something to do with the wish?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ransacked by the townies because of the stunt with the life-like doubles. Pure retribution. The arrival of the baby and the Wayne stuff was coincidental. The remnant bought the carnage fair and square.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

tennbengal wrote:Ransacked by the townies because of the stunt with the life-like doubles.
Oh, I must have missed something. I thought they only planted those dolls in Nora's kitchen. Didn't realize they did it for all the departed.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Ransacked by the townies because of the stunt with the life-like doubles.
Oh, I must have missed something. I thought they only planted those dolls in Nora's kitchen. Didn't realize they did it for all the departed.
Yeah. Did it for everyone in town who lost someone. Go back and look - one shot was of the older couple who Nora had interviewed about their son who was a downs adult - there was one planted in their house for sure. When they went through town and stole photos from everyone, that was why they did it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:TBS debuting the new Rashida Jones show Angie Tribeca (created by Steve and Nancy Carrel) in a binge watch format on 1/17. Interesting. Says no commercials, which seems kinda stupid, but I guess they have to see if it works to compete with the streamers.

Show looks decent at best. Basically Police Squad without Leslie Nielsen. Which isn't a terrible idea but will be hard to pull off.
I'm going to give it a chance. I generally like spoofs, and Rashida Jones is easy on the eyes. I want it to be good, anyway.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

tennbengal wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Yeah. Did it for everyone in town who lost someone. Go back and look - one shot was of the older couple who Nora had interviewed about their son who was a downs adult - there was one planted in their house for sure. When they went through town and stole photos from everyone, that was why they did it.
Man, I gotta do something about my ADD.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
There is a school of thought that it was ALSO granting Kevin's wish from Holy Wayne though. Getting rid of the Guilty Remnant, getting to start over with a new wife, having a new family, etc., etc.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ok...Downton Abbey. Anyone else watch this?

I generally hate-watch it because my GF enjoys it, but I go in and out, doing other stuff and making snarky comments, such as whenever Lady Edith says something to Lady Mary, I always add a "Bitch" to the end of it.

The show is beautiful to watch, but it always kills me because NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! The writers set up these conflicts/situations, and then they just magically get resolved before the end of the show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote:2. Why did Mike and his guys stop short of killing Floyd when they shot up he Gerhardt compound (and killed Otto)?
howard wrote:2) This is answered in the next episode.
I guess I missed this.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The girl Mike was banging wanted Mike to kill her father, Jeffrey Donovan. Mike misunderstood, thought she meant her grandfather, the old man. Whom he killed. It was kinda confusing because they shot the shit out of the house, but there was only one target. But it wasn't a strategic killing by the KC crew, but a personal hit for his girlfriend, as well as advancing the gang war. I think.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:The girl Mike was banging wanted Mike to kill her father, Jeffrey Donovan. Mike misunderstood, thought she meant her grandfather, the old man. Whom he killed. It was kinda confusing because they shot the shit out of the house, but there was only one target. But it wasn't a strategic killing by the KC crew, but a personal hit for his girlfriend, as well as advancing the gang war. I think.
See, I thought he screwed her over on purpose, moving on the homestead after finding out from her that the rest of the Gerhardts (I almost wrote Crowders, definitely a Justified vibe to that family) were away (attempting to remove Charlie from jail and to kill the butcher). That's why didn't understand why they stopped at just killing Otto (especially since they could have killed Otto earlier in the parking lot of his doctor's office).
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You may be right. I considered that too, that he screwed her over on purpose, but I went with the explanation I wrote above. I am not real clear or confident about my take; I'll pay closer attention when I binge it for a second viewing, one of these wintery weekends.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Ok...Downton Abbey. Anyone else watch this?

I generally hate-watch it because my GF enjoys it, but I go in and out, doing other stuff and making snarky comments, such as whenever Lady Edith says something to Lady Mary, I always add a "Bitch" to the end of it.

The show is beautiful to watch, but it always kills me because NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! The writers set up these conflicts/situations, and then they just magically get resolved before the end of the show.

Eh. I've watched it pretty much all the way through and they have a bunch of really long burning plot lines. Like, a LOT. Most of them take at least a season to resolve, and some have been going on since the first season. The transformation of English society into the modern age is pretty central to the show and it plays itself out in lots of ways to both the Upstairs and Downstairs players.

That said, some of these are kind of goofy and I could've done without: the whole deal with Mister Bates and his wife and the police was just annoying and it's resolution was goofy.

To your point, the last one with the blackmailer seemed laughably easy to resolve. They definitely seem to try to mix in short-term (in episode, maybe two eps) plots with the longer term ones.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I dvd'd the three episode splurge of Todd Margaret that aired last night. I hadn't watched the earlier seasons (which aired a few years ago), but I am intrigued by a cast including David Cross, Will Arnett and Jack McBrayer, so I'm trying to get into it. Lots of witticisms to enjoy, but I think I'm missing stuff because of not knowing the back stories.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:So, I dvd'd the three episode splurge of Todd Margaret that aired last night. I hadn't watched the earlier seasons (which aired a few years ago), but I am intrigued by a cast including David Cross, Will Arnett and Jack McBrayer, so I'm trying to get into it. Lots of witticisms to enjoy, but I think I'm missing stuff because of not knowing the back stories.
I haven't gone back and rewatched, but IIRC, it was funny, just not as funny as I expected it to be.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Stop now and watch from the start. I haven't seen season here yet but the first two are worth it. Easy in a week type of watch. Season one slated me. Season two was solid.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

okay so i've never seen the movie fargo or any episodes of the tv show...should i start with the show or do i need to see the movie? what is the show about?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I haven't seen the show, but you can't go wrong with the movie. It's an all-time great.
Totally Kafkaesque