Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by rass »

TT2.0 wrote:okay so i've never seen the movie fargo or any episodes of the tv show...should i start with the show or do i need to see the movie? what is the show about?
They both stand on their own. The TV show shares the setting and tone, but not the plot or characters.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You don't need to see the movie first. Enjoy!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:You don't need to see the movie first. Enjoy!
I'm about halfway through the second season without seeing the first. The show is living up to the hype. Every time I finish an episode, I'm pissed I can't watch the next one. The cast is amazing, the story is somehow slow character development and action packed at the same time. I totally find myself rooting for evil half the time.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The tv show stands alone; each of the two seasons stand alone nicely. However, if you watch the movie first, if you like the movie you almost certainly will also like the tv show. If you don't like the movie, you only have to hang in for two hours to get the payoff/a completed story.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Caught up with The Leftovers. Loved it. Not sure how they're going to pull this all together in only one more season. Unless there's nothing to really pull together and the mystery surrounding the supernatural stuff doesn't really get resolved but only exists for the setting.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Caught up with The Leftovers. Loved it. Not sure how they're going to pull this all together in only one more season. Unless there's nothing to really pull together and the mystery surrounding the supernatural stuff doesn't really get resolved but only exists for the setting.
The showrunners already said they're never going to explain how or why it happened.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Caught up with The Leftovers. Loved it. Not sure how they're going to pull this all together in only one more season. Unless there's nothing to really pull together and the mystery surrounding the supernatural stuff doesn't really get resolved but only exists for the setting.
The showrunners already said they're never going to explain how or why it happened.
Oh. That sucks.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Are they gonna explain why you can't kill Justin Theroux? Are they gonna kill him a bunch more times? I hope so.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:Are they gonna explain why you can't kill Justin Theroux? Are they gonna kill him a bunch more times? I hope so.
Being married to Jennifer Aniston has unlimited perks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I just made a mess of my DVR trying to record Angie Tribeca. I didn't want to just "Record Series" because I wasn't sure the DVR would be smart enough to not record every episode, because is an episode still a re-run if it first ran 5 hours earlier? So I tried to record each individual episode but DirecTV's guide interface sort of sucks and all of the episodes (purposely, I assume) have very similar descriptions and after individually recording like 12 episodes (there are only 10) I just gave up and recorded the series.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anybody here watch Mr. Robot on USA? Pretty good show.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote:Anybody here watch Mr. Robot on USA? Pretty good show.
Oiler keeps telling me I need to watch this. I really liked Malek in The Pacific. Need to finally finish Narcos first.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Finished it the other night. Extremely hooked on the plot, not so much on the personal demons.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I loved Mr. Robot. I think when season 2 rolls around it might warrant its own thread.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:I think I just made a mess of my DVR trying to record Angie Tribeca. I didn't want to just "Record Series" because I wasn't sure the DVR would be smart enough to not record every episode, because is an episode still a re-run if it first ran 5 hours earlier? So I tried to record each individual episode but DirecTV's guide interface sort of sucks and all of the episodes (purposely, I assume) have very similar descriptions and after individually recording like 12 episodes (there are only 10) I just gave up and recorded the series.
I have nothing to add to this other than: mmmmm, Sarah Chalke.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:I think I just made a mess of my DVR trying to record Angie Tribeca. I didn't want to just "Record Series" because I wasn't sure the DVR would be smart enough to not record every episode, because is an episode still a re-run if it first ran 5 hours earlier? So I tried to record each individual episode but DirecTV's guide interface sort of sucks and all of the episodes (purposely, I assume) have very similar descriptions and after individually recording like 12 episodes (there are only 10) I just gave up and recorded the series.
The DirecTV DVR will only record episodes when they debut. For example, if a cable network runs a new show at 10pm Eastern and Pacific (1am Eastern), the DVR will only record the first episode even though there are "East Coast" and "West Coast" feeds.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Only if the people in charge of the guide put it in as new. I get stuff fairly regularly that are repeats, but which aren't indicated as such so the DVR just assumes its new.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I had decided Mozart in the Jungle was about some do-gooder conductor that went down to the Amazon to teach indigineous people how to play classical music. And I wanted NOTHING to do with that...

Um. It's not about that. At all.* Watched the Pilot and second episode of the Season One with Mrs. NLFC last night and was immediately hooked.

* It's a comprehensive behind the scenes take of the NYC Symphony as it transitions from old school (and old) conductor to a new maestro. So, yeah, maybe still not for everyone... But the tension, intrigue and downright snake pit atmosphere makes for good TV.

This is an Amazon joint, btw. Which... I"m going to make that my excuse for my idiocy on the plot.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I had decided Mozart in the Jungle was about some do-gooder conductor that went down to the Amazon to teach indigineous people how to play classical music. And I wanted NOTHING to do with that...

Um. It's not about that. At all.* Watched the Pilot and second episode of the Season One with Mrs. NLFC last night and was immediately hooked.

* It's a comprehensive behind the scenes take of the NYC Symphony as it transitions from old school (and old) conductor to a new maestro. So, yeah, maybe still not for everyone... But the tension, intrigue and downright snake pit atmosphere makes for good TV.

This is an Amazon joint, btw. Which... I"m going to make that my excuse for my idiocy on the plot.
Amazon is giving the show away this weekend (no prime necessary)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Nonlinear FC wrote:... But the tension, intrigue and downright snake pit atmosphere makes for good TV.
My dad returned to NYC after WW2, and found many guys he knew from the jazz music scene had succumbed to alcohol, drugs and women. He decided to look for and take gigs in the more serious music world, to avoid all of that (and play jazz after hours as a hobby, not a job.) He didn't make the NY Philharmonic or the Met, but he worked his way into the second tier of that world, chamber music, smaller orchestras.

And, he saw plenty of musicians around him in the classical music world succumb to alcohol, drugs and women. So he decided to college on the GI bill, to get a straight job. I'm sure he would endorse this show.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

howard wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:... But the tension, intrigue and downright snake pit atmosphere makes for good TV.
My dad returned to NYC after WW2, and found many guys he knew from the jazz music scene had succumbed to alcohol, drugs and women. He decided to look for and take gigs in the more serious music world, to avoid all of that (and play jazz after hours as a hobby, not a job.) He didn't make the NY Philharmonic or the Met, but he worked his way into the second tier of that world, chamber music, smaller orchestras.

And, he saw plenty of musicians around him in the classical music world succumb to alcohol, drugs and women. So he decided to college on the GI bill, to get a straight job. I'm sure he would endorse this show.
Is that the reason people become musicians?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I suppose if you fall in love with music young enough, before awareness of those motives.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:
Damn, Chalke and Rashida? Wheelhouse.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Something we can agree on!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:
Something we can agree on![/quote]

Well that, the superiority of Colorado stouts, Canadian football, women bassists, and the lackadaisical memories of today's Air Force.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Really enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Angie Tribeca (though the first was maybe stronger than the second). But I'm a sucker for the running gag with the dog, so maybe I'm too easy a grader.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:Really enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Angie Tribeca (though the first was maybe stronger than the second). But I'm a sucker for the running gag with the dog, so maybe I'm too easy a grader.
I watched about 10 minutes of it, but according to my wife, I laughed way too hard at the front butt joke.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've watched the first 48 seconds and I am all in.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Can you catch this On Demand or am I going to have to wait for them to air in order now that the release-binge is gone?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I am watching on tbs.com. Looks like episodes are available until tomorrow, then they will come out regularly in february. I'm gonna watch a few before then it looks like.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Another Amazon jam we just got started on: Fortitude.

First off, it's set on island off the Norwegian coast, so it's visually stunning. We just got a new UHD TV and this is definitely the first thing we've watched that has truly blown us away.

Anyways, it's a British-produced murder-mystery and the acting is amazing. Mostly folks you don't know that have long resumes... and Stanley Tucci.

I can't really get too much more into the plot without pretty quickly getting into spoilers... I'll just say that on a fairly busy weekend we made time to rip through 8 episodes. Highly recommended.

ETA: I don't usually struggle with accents, but about 10 minutes in my wife turns to me: "Can you understand WTF they are talking about?"

We turned on closed captions and things become much clearer.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I still have the season finale left but I'm 9 episodes through season 1 of Fargo. I have to ask...what's up with the fish? Are we really supposed to believe a tornado killed rich supermarket guy's friend and son via fish immediately after rich supermarket guy bailed on the ransom?

If this is answered in the finale, I guess don't answer it (or answer as a spoiler). If I just missed something, please let me know.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The latest episode of Brooklyn 99 was comedy gold. The Mumps episode.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:The latest episode of Brooklyn 99 was comedy gold. The Mumps episode.
Oh man. My wife and I couldn't stop laughing. One of their best episodes for sure.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

[+] spoiler
The ending was bullshit. Maggie is supposed to be the completely by the book, moral compass for the entire show. All she ever cared about was justice. Then her husband murders an unarmed man which should undoubtedly put him under arrest and now she's all about vigilante justice? Fuck that.
(Fargo I)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:
[+] spoiler
The ending was bullshit. Maggie is supposed to be the completely by the book, moral compass for the entire show. All she ever cared about was justice. Then her husband murders an unarmed man which should undoubtedly put him under arrest and now she's all about vigilante justice? Fuck that.
(Fargo I)
[+] spoiler
The character's name is Molly, not Maggie. And, she didn't send Grimley out to murder Malvo. I'd figure she saw it as self-defense.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
[+] spoiler
(Fargo I)
[+] spoiler
The character's name is Molly, not Maggie. And, she didn't send Grimley out to murder Malvo. I'd figure she saw it as self-defense.
[+] spoiler
Gus Grimley killing Malvo has nothing to do with Molly. It's about Malvo turning Grimley into a predator, just like he did with Lester. (quoting something I read on the internet:) Malvo's death is actually a win for him, as he made Gus into a killer. Throughout the show his biggest enjoyment is making normal people turn nasty. That's why he takes such an interest in Lester, because he's a loser that Malvo wants to make into a predator. Remember the Shades of Green riddle Malvo gives Gus? "Why can humans see more shades of green than any other color? When you have the answer to my question you'll have the answer to yours." Humans see shades of green so they can see predators. Malvo is saying that he's a predator blending into the green. When Gus says "I figured out your riddle", it's because Gus has become a predator, he hid in Malvo's cabin and killed him. Malvo made Gus into a killer and "died on his own terms."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Welp. Spoilers have jumped the shark.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm not sure how it has nothing to do with Mollie. She's a cop and there was a murder committed in her town and she's obsessed with justice and the law.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

[+] spoiler
Killing Malvo is not justice? I don't care if he was unarmed, he was a mass-murdering psycho killer for hire and for fun, and he got his justice. On TV as in real life, justice more often than not is completely disconnected from the court system.

He killed Key and Peele, and you want a fucking trial? Forget that.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…