Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by govmentchedda »

Maybe that's harsher than it should be, and maybe you were just asking for anecdotes, but this really isn't the crowd to be polling.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 am I’m curious - how often do folks here walk from their homes or offices to use the curbside US Mail drop boxes? Not including the ones that are at post offices.

I don’t think I’ve used one in years.
We have one on the corner of our street. The USPS wanted to take it out a few years ago and there was an uproar and they backed off. Plenty of people drop mail off, there. I know that from my very short stint as a mailman.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Am I the only one who thinks this USPS attack is going to backfire on him and I expect DeJoy to be gone by the end of next week??
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I saw this tweet that listed the USPS Board of Governors. Saw another great example of failing upwards. The guy who was the CEO of one of my employer's competitors ran his company into the ground through all sorts of bad decisions, especially acquisitions the company couldn't afford. I heard several stories from insiders of his huge ego getting in his way. Got bailed out a couple different times by the government, and reverse-split the stock a few times to keep from getting delisted by Nasdaq. Including the effect of the reverse-splits, the stock price has gone from the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars per share to almost nothing. (YRCW - look it up.) And, they just got another huge government loan just a couple weeks ago. The guy, William Zollars, walked away from that company a couple years ago with a nice golden parachute, and now he's on the USPS Board of Governors!
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Looks like shit is about to get real..

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 am I’m curious - how often do folks here walk from their homes or offices to use the curbside US Mail drop boxes? Not including the ones that are at post offices.

We have one on the corner of our street. The USPS wanted to take it out a few years ago and there was an uproar and they backed off. Plenty of people drop mail off, there. I know that from my very short stint as a mailman.
If that mailbox had been removed, what other options were available? Do carriers still pick up from houses / apartments as they go? Is it a mainly pedestrian area or more car dependent?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They will take it from our personal mailbox if we put it in there.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm

If that mailbox had been removed, what other options were available? Do carriers still pick up from houses / apartments as they go? Is it a mainly pedestrian area or more car dependent?
I am more worried about the sorting machines being removed..
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:58 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm

I am more worried about the sorting machines being removed..
That is certainly a bigger red flag on the surface ... but I think we have ten times as much heat as light on that issue. Is this something that the postal service thought of in the past couple of months as an election ploy? Is this a project that has been in the works a long time? Are these particular machines new or old, is this a regular rotation of equipment, is new equipment coming on line also (or has it already been brought online), are the removals targeted in a way that suggests political chicanery?

(Obviously I have no doubt that Trump would have no qualms about tanking the Postal Service to help his re-election and punish Jeff Bezos. But do we know if that is what's happening?)

This graphic is from the Washington Post, linked from a Vox explainer on the issue. On the one hand, there's a lot of reduction in sorting capacity in some swing states. On the other hand, the two biggest reductions are in California and Texas. (And one of those pictures we keep seeing of mailboxes being removed is from Montana. Montana's a swing state now?)

Everyone has an agenda at this point. The Vox explainer I got the graphic from gives a decent background, but it doesn't really lay out the facts we'd need to know to see if this is all a political game or just something like Jade Helm that was in the works for years but is being blown out of proportion because of how politically charged everything is right now.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:18 pm They will take it from our personal mailbox if we put it in there.
Us, too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trump’s brother dies at age 71. Hopefully from COVID.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm Do carriers still pick up from houses / apartments as they go? I
It's funny, I was just asking my wife this question. When we moved 12 years ago, we went from a normal mailbox with a flag that the mailman picked up to a house with a box on the door. All the houses in that hood had boxes by the front door, mailman walked the entire hood, so I kind of assumed they didn't pick up, but never knew and never asked. New house has a mailbox with a flag at the end of the driveway, as do all the houses, so the mailman never leaves the truck. Whenever I mail anything, I just drop it off at the post office.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:45 pm Trump’s brother dies at age 71. Hopefully from COVID.
The way he danced around that question at a press conference, I really think it was COVID. Trump actually seemed to have a hint of emotion towards another human. Assuming lust isn't an emotion.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:46 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm Do carriers still pick up from houses / apartments as they go? I
It's funny, I was just asking my wife this question. When we moved 12 years ago, we went from a normal mailbox with a flag that the mailman picked up to a house with a box on the door. All the houses in that hood had boxes by the front door, mailman walked the entire hood, so I kind of assumed they didn't pick up, but never knew and never asked. New house has a mailbox with a flag at the end of the driveway, as do all the houses, so the mailman never leaves the truck. Whenever I mail anything, I just drop it off at the post office.
In my neighborhood our mailboxes are attached to the houses next to everyone’s front door. (Mailman goes on foot but we have small lots and short driveways.) In the old days we just put the outgoing mail on the box, and the mailman picked it up.

But these days we send mail so rarely, and I never have stamps, so when I need to send something I bring it to work.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is basically the same interview.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Throwback...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

CNN only giving Biden +4

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics ... index.html

Also, Trump is +10 on the economy
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This is why if someone refuses to vote Biden because he's an establishment Democrat, they should get a smack.

Trump finalizes drilling plan for iconic Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

psunate77 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:30 am CNN only giving Biden +4

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics ... index.html

Also, Trump is +10 on the economy
Polls are all over the place:

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I imagine the door was locked because it was Sunday.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 am I imagine the door was locked because it was Sunday.
And according to Twitter sleuths...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Those polls don't mean shit due to electoral college.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:39 am Those polls don't mean shit due to electoral college.
Yeah, the national polls have to be averaging around at least Biden +5 or so to feel at all good going into election day because of the Electoral College. The averages of national polling were pretty much dead nuts on in 2016 as far as predicting Clinton's eventual margin of victory in the popular vote.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 pm

This graphic is from the Washington Post, linked from a Vox explainer on the issue. On the one hand, there's a lot of reduction in sorting capacity in some swing states. On the other hand, the two biggest reductions are in California and Texas. (And one of those pictures we keep seeing of mailboxes being removed is from Montana. Montana's a swing state now?)
Daines is in a very close race with Bullock, so yes.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trump 'enthusiastic' over unproven coronavirus therapeutic, MyPillow creator says
Oleandrin is an extract from the plant Nerium oleander. The raw oleander plant is highly toxic, and consumption of it can be fatal.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So, collusion, then?

(It actually says no direct collusion, just had to bring back one of the oldies)
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just want someone in the media to call him, on air, "a fucking traitor to America and our number 1 domestic terrorist."

There's too much at stake at this point.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, here's a thing that won't be a thing because it's so far down the list:

Trump routinely says he doesn't know people that come out and criticize him, when it's pretty clear he SHOULD know them. Maybe he should stop saying he doesn't know people he's been in contact dozens of times over the last 3 years? Doesn't exactly show a lot of mental acuity.*

* - I know he's lying, but it's not a very effective tactic.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He must feel like he's already removed enough sorting equipment to impact delivery times for November and/or will just continue to remove them, but more quietly now.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I guess people have already forgotten that this dude fired like 20 regional directors 2 Fridays ago? It's never mentioned in the coverage in the last week.

This should probably go in the failing media thread, but that's the type of shit that drives me crazy.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:44 am So, collusion, then?

(It actually says no direct collusion, just had to bring back one of the oldies)
Nope. No collusion here: