CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by A_B »

In zoom class. Someone went to the bathroom and you could hear the flush. Fun.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Waiting for my Zoom deposition to start and the one witness in smoking in their kitchen while her husband is walking around shirtless and hacking up a lung. This is going to be a fun Friday.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:17 am In zoom class. Someone went to the bathroom and you could hear the flush. Fun.
That could have been worse I suppose...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Told everyone I was out this week in Charleston. Three different people I spoke to have wondered where I am already.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Why are you speaking to work people while on PTO?!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Been skating on a very cheap lease the past several years because my landlord knows nothing about business or real estate. Mostly empty with a few tenants coming in and out every year or so. Anyway brand new tenant rented the entire main floor except for my offices.

Fucking RNC. Worse because this is college park, black RNC staffers. Pretty hot though. Still not good enough. Been needing a change of scenery anyway.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:26 pm Why are you speaking to work people while on PTO?!
I told them last week i would be off. Yet they still call/message.

Also, not an asshole, giff!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I tell my people to feel free to text if they need me, but they don't cause I never text them when they're off, even if I need them. I'm a huge advocate of not messing with people on PTO. But good on you for helping!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't answer shit unless it's an absolute emergency. A big part of that is setting a precedent... Once they know you're paying attention, they start fucking up your whole trip.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So...I'm not the boss, guys. So when the boss calls or texts I do indeed answer. I am low man on the totem pole.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:55 pm So...I'm not the boss, guys. So when the boss calls or texts I do indeed answer. I am low man on the totem pole.
Look who gets all culturally insensitive when he's not at work.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:03 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:55 pm So...I'm not the boss, guys. So when the boss calls or texts I do indeed answer. I am low man on the totem pole.
Look who gets all culturally insensitive when he's not at work.
Good point. Pecking order.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I prefer responding to emails while on on vacation. It's more stressful worrying about what I'm returning to than knocking out some emails while I'm out. I think it's actually a good part of my work culture (although officially we are prohibited from doing work while on vacation), I'm encouraged to step out to watch my daughter's soccer games at 3:00 without guilt, but I respond to emails on vacation. The past 2 years, most of my vacation days are just to use them as I max out and stop accumulating. I'm home anyways, so what the fuck? Makes up for all the time I spend here during work hours.

OTOH, I do see a value in completely stepping away and refreshing. A colleague recently return from maternity leave, and she was furious, as the company shut down her access to her email and work systems because she was caught working on leave. I get it, they need to protect themselves from lawsuits, but she was furious to come back to shit-ton of emails.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume its residual catholicism, but I can never get over the knowledge that me taking 5-10 minutes on PTO can prevent someone else from spending an hour or fucking something up, especially since our contributions tend to get viewed as a team versus individuals.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:09 pm I prefer responding to emails while on on vacation. It's more stressful worrying about what I'm returning to than knocking out some emails while I'm out. I think it's actually a good part of my work culture (although officially we are prohibited from doing work while on vacation), I'm encouraged to step out to watch my daughter's soccer games at 3:00 without guilt, but I respond to emails on vacation. The past 2 years, most of my vacation days are just to use them as I max out and stop accumulating. I'm home anyways, so what the fuck? Makes up for all the time I spend here during work hours.

OTOH, I do see a value in completely stepping away and refreshing. A colleague recently return from maternity leave, and she was furious, as the company shut down her access to her email and work systems because she was caught working on leave. I get it, they need to protect themselves from lawsuits, but she was furious to come back to shit-ton of emails.
I do the same thing...I hate coming back to a shit show of stuff to wade through. I'd rather stay on top of things so the return goes much smoother.

Although it is a sad state of corporate life for some/many/most of us that our workplaces put us in jobs that require that kind of attention.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:21 pm I assume its residual catholicism, but I can never get over the knowledge that me taking 5-10 minutes on PTO can prevent someone else from spending an hour or fucking something up, especially since our contributions tend to get viewed as a team versus individuals.
Yeah. I mean I wouldn’t email from a streamside forest trail or something, but otherwise I’m always available. Though maybe it’d be different if I was always working nights or weekends.

Of course, I’m working tonight.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I used to feel guilty emailing my boss when she is on vacation, but her response time is insane. Like under 1 minute. When I first started I made a joke about that and she said she loves responding to emails on vacation because she can respond without distraction. She is nuts, I've never met someone who loves their job and company as much as she does, but she is very insistent that she doesn't expect anyone else to be like her. That's her genius, she is such a great person and manager, everyone strives to do a great job for her. A few years ago she came to NYC on vacation and scheduled to meet up with me for lunch, or maybe it was breakfast. I felt so guilty that she left her husband and son to take me to breakfast, but that isn't my call. She is West Coast, and if I email her at 7:00am Eastern, she responds. She is also sending emails at 2:00am Eastern. She is nuts. Been with the Company for 21 years, joined when the company was about 5 years old and had a couple dozen employees.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's lunatic shit
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pro tip. When you are on vacation, be sure to turn on the auto-response, which should clearly note that you might not respond immediately, because you are on vacation.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:43 pm Pro tip. When you are on vacation, be sure to turn on the auto-response, which should clearly note that you might not respond immediately, because you are on vacation.
Look at the retiree over here with his "pro tip". I should email you right now to see if I get an auto-response.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:43 pm Pro tip. When you are on vacation, be sure to turn on the auto-response, which should clearly note that you might not respond immediately, because you are on vacation.
Always do, because a lot of things don't get a response when I'm on vacation.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's talking about a little wooden sign he hung by his desk.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gracious me, the kids are a bit salty, today!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

out of office :)
out of wine :(
Print that in cursive on tshirts and watch the $ roll in.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha, a friend and I have been going back and forth on wine mom t-shirt ideas for like 3 years now. Everything from "I Have Partial Custody of My Kids but Full Custody of MY WINE" to things far darker involving historical events.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The custody one would sell.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:19 am
out of office :)
out of wine :(
Print that in cursive on tshirts and watch the $ roll in.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am Ha, a friend and I have been going back and forth on wine mom t-shirt ideas for like 3 years now. Everything from "I Have Partial Custody of My Kids but Full Custody of MY WINE" to things far darker involving historical events.
Would subscribe.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't find the mockup I did of the Tiananmen Square guy holding a bottle in each hand.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am Ha, a friend and I have been going back and forth on wine mom t-shirt ideas for like 3 years now. Everything from "I Have Partial Custody of My Kids but Full Custody of MY WINE" to things far darker involving historical events.
You should check out the instagram account i_luv_wine_sign.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:21 am
Holy shit, some of those are horrible, but reading a whole bunch at once makes me hate society.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:21 amYou should check out the instagram account i_luv_wine_sign.
Oh my god thank you.

(The fundraiser one on row 3 is exactly how this thing started because they're all just so lazy and also take pain to make the wine portion stand out. I love this page so much.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:29 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:21 am
Holy shit, some of those are horrible, but reading a whole bunch at once makes me hate society.
They weren't 'wine signs', but the AirBnB we stayed at in Salt Lake City a few weeks ago had a sign in one bathroom that said 'Hope everything came out ok in the end', and in the other was a sign with a Yelp type font saying '5 stars...would poop here again'.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Mormon edgelords?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My mother-in-law has a couple of wine signs in her kitchen and I wish to hell I could remember them now but they're in the vein of that IG account.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Writer's room had to be fun coming up with those signs. I'd love to hear the ones that were cut.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I like when I'm on a Teams/Zoom call on mute and fart loudly enough that the app reminds me that I'm on mute if I want to talk.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Challenge accepted.