NBA 2014-15 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: NBA 2014-15 Thread

Post by Giff »

Mavs have no bench now. Rondo never made sense for Houston. That offense needs a PG who can shoot and Rajon certainly is not that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hawks-Grizzlies final is gonna be weird.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote:Hawks-Grizzlies final is gonna be weird.
Or the ratings bonanza of Raptors-Warriors.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:DC is gonna be so happy.
And it looks like he's coming down this way. Y'all check on me in about two weeks, if you don't mind.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I preferred the deal with the Kings where the Pistons got back the rights to Chris Webber and took on the contract of ex-coach Mark Malone. But this is the next best thing.

Of all the free agency signings that screamed MADNESS when they were done (not just as to the eventual outcomes), the Josh Smith deal must rank high. Very high. He was going to get some money, as he has a nice combination of athleticism, size, and skills (passing ability). But his shooting and basketball IQ were bad. Very bad.

Still, the option value that a team could somehow turn him around by doing something different with him than was done in Atlanta was worth quite a bit. And it still is. But the Pistons deal was something like a 50% overpay. His next team will get him for far less, and he may prove that he's a good if not very good player in a different setting.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Wonder who will be accepting Danny Ferry's Executive Of The Year award on his behalf.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Oh dammit did Simmons really just make that joke?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rex wrote:Wonder who will be accepting Danny Ferry's Executive Of The Year award on his behalf.
Ferry signed Josh Smith? I was thinking it would be more along the lines of the Kryzgzstan Tygirs. Or wherever Roy Tarpley is player-coaching now.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This has been a lame NBA Christmas, but at least it gave us a heavily tattooed man wearing a jersey that says "Matt" on the back.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I enjoyed the brave Wizard whose jersey paid tribute to himself, Santa, and his ex-mother-in-law
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So when I read this article the first things that popped in my head was this

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12080 ... am-improve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Raptors just pulled away from the Clippers in L.A.

Still room on the "Lowry for MVP" bandwagon.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not "a big NBA guy", but did the Knicks just hand off their best trade piece in order to also hand off a contract they signed just over a year ago?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Gotta pay a premium to get rid of JR Smith.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Still a net positive.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Global banks that got into trouble in 2008 were allowed to set up 'bad bank' subsidiaries where they could off-load their more troublesome toxic securities. With government assistance, of course.

I think this would be a great model for the NBA. They could set up a team where players who were damaging their teams by playing far less well than their contracts indicated could be sent.

The first two anchor acquisitions must be Josh Smith and JR Smith. Next up, Bargnani, Stoudamire, JaVale McGee, Larry Sanders, Kendrick Perkins, Lance Stephenson, and Gerald Wallace. Joe Johnson is still a pretty good scorer, but nothing else, and he makes way too much money. So he's in. This is a roster that is deep in lack of value at every spot but point guard. Perhaps Brandon Jennings will have to do, at least until Deron Williams' next injury. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum would be perpetually on the DL.

The Misfit Toys will be coached by Isiah Rider and Antoine Walker; they could co-coach the offense. Obviously, no one would coach the defense. If he can't make an immediate comeback as a player, Gilbert Arenas could be an assistant coach, focusing on small-arms handling. While working on his next comeback.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think the Cavs got a good deal. Smith is OK with coming off the bench, Waiters clearly thought he should be starting. No defense from either, so that's a wash. Shumpert gives them a good defender on the perimeter. They still need a big man. The pick in the mid-to-late first round is just a bonus.

I think Smith is the type of guy that needs an Alpha Dog who will keep him in check. I think Lebron will do that.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Friendly reminder that the Knicks now have a lower winning percentage than the Sizers, who are purposely attempting to be the worst team in the league.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rockets shot 5 free throws last night while scoring 62 points in the paint. The Bulls were called for 7 fouls total (total) and over half of them resulted in boos from the crowd while another ended up with a tech for their coach because he's a fat whiny cunt like the rest of 'em. They also called an offensive foul on Harden that made Jordan's push-off of Russell in the 98 finals look like Douglas taking down Tyson. I forgot how much fun it is to hate the Bulls.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DC47 wrote:Global banks that got into trouble in 2008 were allowed to set up 'bad bank' subsidiaries where they could off-load their more troublesome toxic securities. With government assistance, of course.

I think this would be a great model for the NBA. They could set up a team where players who were damaging their teams by playing far less well than their contracts indicated could be sent.

The first two anchor acquisitions must be Josh Smith and JR Smith. Next up, Bargnani, Stoudamire, JaVale McGee, Larry Sanders, Kendrick Perkins, Lance Stephenson, and Gerald Wallace. Joe Johnson is still a pretty good scorer, but nothing else, and he makes way too much money. So he's in. This is a roster that is deep in lack of value at every spot but point guard. Perhaps Brandon Jennings will have to do, at least until Deron Williams' next injury. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum would be perpetually on the DL.

The Misfit Toys will be coached by Isiah Rider and Antoine Walker; they could co-coach the offense. Obviously, no one would coach the defense. If he can't make an immediate comeback as a player, Gilbert Arenas could be an assistant coach, focusing on small-arms handling. While working on his next comeback.
And in the midst of their best season ever, Raptors keep the bench warm with Landry Fields - he of the $8.5 million contract and 40 points on the season. The one piece of Colangelo's trash they couldn't unload.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The MF Toys welcome new acquisition Landry Fields! He can twirl a towel on the bench. After Lance and Gerald strangle each other to death during a timeout, he'll get some burn. He can stand around while the other guys throw up low-percentage jump shots whenever the ball touches their hands.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kelvin Cato has to be an owner of one of these teams.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Kelvin Cato, Jim McIlvaine, Jon Concak, Eddy Curry, Erik Dampier, and Jerome James are the team's primary owners. Big men, big overpays. Rumor has it that they plan to offer a share to Vin Baker if he can be located.

The team has just announced that they've changed the name to MisFit Toyz to emphasize how much they rock.

The Toyz nominal home city is Las Vegas. But their home games in the NBA schedule are shown as "TBA". They actually auction off the home games. Las Vegas is the default home location. But several games have been bought by an anonymous technology billionaire in Seattle who has fond memories from when that city hosted an NBA team. He's purchased all the tickets and plans to invite his tech industry friends. A four game set in February will be played with several cities in China being the home forums. Rumor has it that North Korea is leading the bidding for a fifth game. A Miami Beach nightclub owner owns the rights to host one home game versus Lebron James and the Cavs in March. The Miami Heat will be playing at home on the same night; these tickets are going at a steep discount to face value on StubHub.

Also in March, KFC has purchased the rights to a home game that will be played in Louisville. The theme will be "ABA Throwback Night." KFC has pledged a free bucket of chicken to every ticket holder wearing retro Kentucky Colonels jerseys with the names Carrier or Dampier on the back if the MF Toyz hit the 60 mark in attempted three-pointers. Since they're averaging 47.6 attempts per game right now, this should pose no problem, unless JR Smith is injured.
Last edited by DC47 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerome James just rages on South Beach all year with his Knicks money, I actually vaguely know him. We can Camaro him if you guys would like.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What you call raging is simply "Las Vegas" MF Toyz team promotion. A marketing expense. Deductible even.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

He never gave me a free team t-shirt!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Team policy is to give out MF Toyz swag only to people who are boss playas. Image, yo. Got to up your game.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'M A BOSS PLAYER
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I guess Jerome has you pegged as strictly JV. Too much Lauderdale in your game.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I hear this guy is thinking of starting his own league:

Once he's out of prison, of course.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Welcome Robert Swift, player-coach of the MF Toyz' new D-league team!

The team name is Armed-And-Dangerous. The team will of course play the same thrilling run-and-gun style as the NBA squad. As MF Toyz co-coach Antoine Walker always says in the pre-game huddle when discussing the concept of designed plays, "Touch ball, shoot ball." Or course, that directive assumes you're several feet past the mid-court line. Unless you've got a really good look and you're feeling it. Or the shot clock has run down to under 15 seconds.

The MF Toyz are looking for a home city location for the D-league team that has an suitable arena and the highly inclusive concealed-carry laws. Grenade launchers need to be in-bounds, for example. Also, there needs to be an adequate number of bail bondsmen with significant financial capacity and a good reputation for customer service. We've got Gilbert Arenas working on this, as he's probably the best informed among recent NBA players and staff.
Last edited by DC47 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DC47 wrote:The MF Toyz are looking for a home city location for the D-league team that has an suitable arena and the highly inclusive concealed-carry laws. Grenade launchers need to be in-bounds, for example. Also, there need to be an adequate number of bail bondsmen with significant financial capacity and a good reputation for customer service. We've got Gilbert Arenas working on this, as he's probably the best informed among recent NBA players and staff.
Tucson. You're thinking of Tucson.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Tucson sounds promising. Oh, I forgot to mention this. But the home city community needs to have an ample supply of quality strippers and hos. Also, wannabe rappers and assorted hangers-on. Drugs are a given pretty much anywhere, and can be easily delivered from out of the area (see hangers-on, as above), so there's no specific requirement regarding this community attribute.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DC47 wrote:Tucson sounds promising. Oh, I forgot to mention this. But the home city community needs to have an ample supply of quality strippers and hos. Also, wannabe rappers and assorted hangers-on. Drugs are a given pretty much anywhere, and can be easily delivered from out of the area (see hangers-on, as above), so there's no specific requirement regarding this community attribute.
I honestly said Tucson not remembering that Arenas went to college there. I was just thinking of lax conceal carry laws, access to drugs and a large arena.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

As you can see, the MF Toyz have a long list of specific criteria that must be addressed in their D-league siting process. But if Gilbert was comfortable living (large) in a candidate city, that pretty much covers it as long as there has been no misguided civic reform effort.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Rex wrote:Hawks-Grizzlies final is gonna be weird.

Not liking the West's chances this year.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Am now getting NBA League Pass for free - wife works for a cable provider/broadcast conglomerate.

Which is why I had the pleasure of watching the Knicks for a quarter or so last night. For an extended period they had the following players on the court: Cole Aldrich, Cleanthony Early, Travis Wear, Langston Galloway and Shane Larkin.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Further to the Knicks. This highlight sums it up nicely...

http://deadspin.com/bad-knicks-goober-f ... 1678151089
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Knicks are abysmal. But that was a forced shot with time running out on the clock and a double team.

Aldrich is shooting over 50%, he works hard, and he boards at a nice rate. He's not a legit NBA starter, and he wasn't a good draft pick in a lottery slot. But he's gotten better and now he's not bad for a back-up center. I hear the Pistons would be glad to trade any future ability to re-acquire Josh Smith in exchange for Aldrich and a 2030 second round pick (top 25 protected).