September Baseball Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: September Baseball Thread

Post by Sabo »

Ryan wrote:Who's your favorite Top 10 WAR finisher?

Mine's either Ed Whitson, Dontrelle Willis, or Bernard Gilkey
Bronson Arroyo
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote:Who's your favorite Top 10 WAR finisher?

Mine's either Ed Whitson, Dontrelle Willis, or Bernard Gilkey
John Tudor, Mike Scott and Ron Guidry.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Figgins. One of the many times my "defense and speed can't slump even if the hitting does, so its not a bad contract" believe was wrong.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote:Giants get in. So congrats on winning the Workd Series again, Doc and SanCarlos.
Just echoing this.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Paul Blair, Jimmy Wynn and Kevin Mitchell. Oh, and Frank Viola.

Giants got no bullpen. I hesitate to say this, at the risk of looking like (more of) a douche (than usual) should the highly improbable happen, but the Cubs have little to worry about from SF. Wednesday vs Mets will be fun.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I long ago gave up trying to figure out the Giants bullpen and how it wasn't a crippling issue for them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:I long ago gave up trying to figure out the Giants bullpen and how it wasn't a crippling issue for them.
Well, of course, their second half was horrible until the last few games of it. They blew a bunch of potential saves, so it was pretty close to a crippling issue. Hitting was pretty weak most of the season, as well. Smoke and mirrors got them in. But, now, who knows?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I will admit, they played really well this last week, won the last four, and five of six (so did the Cards). They hit well, finally Belt looks dialed in, starters went deep, Bochy had a short leash with each reliever, particularly Strickland, and Romo closed with his good slider (and 88mph 'fast'ball). By far their best week of the last three months.

I had no hope two weeks ago, but now I think they have a very outside chance of getting lucky against the Cubs. If they get past Syndergaard on Wednesday, no more than a 50:50.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:I will admit, they played really well this last week, won the last four, and five of six (so did the Cards). They hit well, finally Belt looks dialed in, starters went deep, Bochy had a short leash with each reliever, particularly Strickland, and Romo closed with his good slider (and 88mph 'fast'ball). By far their best week of the last three months.

I had no hope two weeks ago, but now I think they have a very outside chance of getting lucky against the Cubs. If they get past Syndergaard on Wednesday, no more than a 50:50.
Even with the Wild Card game, the Giants get to send ace starters to the mound every other game. I guess the Cubs do also, but their starters have all looked like crap the last time through the rotation.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote:Well, of course, their second half was horrible until the last few games of it. They blew a bunch of potential saves, so it was pretty close to a ycrippling issue. Hitting was pretty weak most of the season, as well. Smoke and mirrors got them in. But, now, who knows?
I was speaking to the whole run. Peak Wilson was very good but Romo is a tricky 7th inning guy on most teams and he's been their clear best over like a half decade. All praise Righetti or something.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Peak Casilla was good. His fastball was 95 w/action, and he could throw the slider and offspeed to a spot at will. He periodically loses his command temporarily, but last year he lost it semi-permanent. On Friday he hit 94 on the gun, but it was right down the middle (but Enrique Hernandez ain't all that.) The year Romo closed in the playoffs, he just caught some magic. Then again, they had Timmy and Maddy spot relieving in Octobers.

One of the more sublime moments of my fandom, Game 6, NLCS 2010 in Philly, when Bochy had used all his lefty relievers, including Maddy for two innings, and in strolls Timmy from the pen to start the bottom of the 8th. His first relief appearance ever, Mr. Precise Exceptional Mechanics - and he goes into the stretch rather than a full windup.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This serves as an example, from that game:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tebow healed a guy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:And Scully's "I've said enough for a lifetime" ... JFC. The guy had years to pick the perfect line and actually did it.
Scully awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Obama. The highest civilian honor an American can receive.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!