NFL 2022 week 17 - Wentz the Carr crashes into the Bridge(water)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: NFL 2022 week 17 - Wentz the Carr crashes into the Bridge(water)

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 pm Game officially cancelled. Won't be made up.
Are you sure about that? I thought it was just not going to be played this week.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 pm Game officially cancelled. Won't be made up.
I have read it won't be played this week and the normal week 18 schedule will continue weekend. I have not seen that it will not be played at all?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:14 pm
I have read it won't be played this week and the normal week 18 schedule will continue weekend. I have not seen that it will not be played at all?
Not sure when exactly they're supposed to play it then. After the Super Bowl?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:17 pm
Maybe next Thursday, 1/12, and then the Wild Card game(s) involving them them be played on Tuesday 1/17?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:19 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:17 pm
Maybe next Thursday, 1/12, and then the Wild Card game(s) involving them them be played on Tuesday 1/17?
I dunno, maybe but then they're being "punished" with two short rest games including a playoff game for a guy almost dying on the field. Seems like the easiest thing is to treat it as no game like they were during COVID and settle tiebreakers on winning percentage, etc.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I agree. I would actually prefer if they didn’t play it to give the players one less thing to worry about and either declare a tie or a null match. But this is the NFL we’re talking about. When have the owners ever willingly took less money than they could’ve? We have a 17th game and two extra playoff games for a reason.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You probably can't call it a tie because that's a negative for two playoff teams. I'd say there's nothing inherently wrong with two teams playing 16 and the rest playing 17 just like there was nothing inherently wrong with not playing last night.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

a tie and a no contest are the same thing in this case for playoff purposes
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:11 pm a tie and a no contest are the same thing in this case for playoff purposes
I was just going to ask if there was a difference.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:12 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:11 pm a tie and a no contest are the same thing in this case for playoff purposes
I was just going to ask if there was a difference.
literally yes, but in practice no

for the 1 seed, Chiefs would clinch with a win Saturday and be 14-3. at that point, whether or not Buffalo is 13-3-1 or 13-3 with a win over NE doesn't matter. If Chiefs lose and are 13-4, Buffalo still needs to win to get the No. 1 seed. If Buffalo loses too and Cincy wins, Chiefs are the 3 and it goes to the next tiebreaker for Buffalo and Cincy for the 1 seed since they didn't play/tied

regarding the North, since Ravens have 6 losses, Cincy clinches by virtue of having no more than 5 losses in either the tie or no contest scenario
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And it looks like the only way the tie could affect outside of division or the #1 is against each other. That's pretty wild.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I guess you guys are right. I’m just being overly cynical.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I guess fantasy leagues have three choices:
1. Go with the final weekly score as it is.
2. Add the projected points for Monday's game to the final weekly score.
3. Call it a draw.

#3 seems wrong to me. (Especially if one team has a big lead). Personally, I'd go with #1, if it was up to me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So now we get to wonder what everyone does if this happens in the Super Bowl.

Playoff seeding, while important, can possibly be rationalized to a negotiated outcome that's fair enough.

But the Super Bowl? Probably going to have to have those discussions amongst owners in the offseason.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Just make the coaches decide like last time."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I think re: fantasy, unless one team had no chance (players done and behind) - then co-champs is only solution. I am up by .2 with the game suspended as of now - opponent with Burrow and Gabe Davis and me with Higgins. Obviously, he was prohibitive favorite, but I am not cool with just awarding him the win. I am also not cool with taking the win in those circumstances. I emailed that league and suggested co-champs.

But I really don't like deciding it on projected points. Game as it stands is as if everyone stopped scoring from there, which I think is fairer than assigning projected points. If the owners won't agree to co-champs.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Something that a Yahoo league I am in is considering is “playing” the championship this coming weekend and just manually scoring. It depends on what happens with the Bills-Pats game. If it doesn’t work out then co-champs is probably the way will go.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was wondering how long it would take to come around to the fantasy implications of a guy literally almost dying live in front of 10 million people.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 pm Was wondering how long it would take to come around to the fantasy implications of a guy literally almost dying live in front of 10 million people.
Was wondering how long it would take you to get all sanctimonious over the fantasy implication posts.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think I was first.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:59 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 pm Was wondering how long it would take to come around to the fantasy implications of a guy literally almost dying live in front of 10 million people.
Was wondering how long it would take you to get all sanctimonious over the fantasy implication posts.
Whatever. Your timing sucks.

(I know that was actually AB in the other thread. You guys are fucking serious tonight. Have a beverage or five.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We're all going sober for the month, aside from DSafe.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:30 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:59 pm
Whatever. Your timing sucks.

(I know that was actually AB in the other thread. You guys are fucking serious tonight. Have a beverage or five.)
Fair enough. Weird night for me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fair enough. We can’t all be on the same wavelength all the time. Hope your night gets better.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well Yahoo made some decisions. Which based upon their investment recently in fantasy (killed off a ton of stuff) is actually surprising they made a decision.
https://sports.yahoo.com/week-17-18-fan ... 03705.html
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I think pretty fucking churlish to act like people talking about this don't care about Hamlin. I am ahead and would win if the game isn't re-started in two leagues, and in both leagues I would very likely lose if the game is resumed at some point. It's an extremely unimportant shitty situation that is a million miles behind the importance of the actual shitty situation (Hamlin). But there's money involved and limbo sucks, so excuse me for having thought about it. I am truly a bad person. Thanks for the reminder, Brian.

Here was the post I made in one league where I am ahead by .2 with Higgins going against Burrow and Gabe Davis:
So this is clearly unprecedented. Obviously Tim was well positioned to win outright, but now we are in limbo due to absolute tragedy. If the game is not resumed (and I don't know that it will be- seems like it probably will not) - then that is a weird way to "win". Can i gently propose, in light of things far more important than even this terribly important fantasy league, that maybe Tim and me/Steve chop 1st and 2nd and call it a day? Co-champs? If Tim wants to wait, that's fine, but speaking for me (Aaron portion of Aaron/Steve), I would like to not care about the real world tragedy and its impact on something fun. ----Aaron
I guess I am a dick. Thanks for the clarity.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I texted our league last night about our third-place game simply because I don't want to have a debate or discussion about it. just call it a tie, split the pot and move on.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 am I texted our league last night about our third-place game simply because I don't want to have a debate or discussion about it. just call it a tie, split the pot and move on.
Yes. That. That was where I was and am coming from.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:32 pm We're all going sober for the month, aside from DSafe.
Is it going sober if I'm just probably not going to drink, anyway?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:29 am I think pretty fucking churlish to act like people talking about this don't care about Hamlin. I am ahead and would win if the game isn't re-started in two leagues, and in both leagues I would very likely lose if the game is resumed at some point. It's an extremely unimportant shitty situation that is a million miles behind the importance of the actual shitty situation (Hamlin). But there's money involved and limbo sucks, so excuse me for having thought about it. I am truly a bad person. Thanks for the reminder, Brian.

Here was the post I made in one league where I am ahead by .2 with Higgins going against Burrow and Gabe Davis:
So this is clearly unprecedented. Obviously Tim was well positioned to win outright, but now we are in limbo due to absolute tragedy. If the game is not resumed (and I don't know that it will be- seems like it probably will not) - then that is a weird way to "win". Can i gently propose, in light of things far more important than even this terribly important fantasy league, that maybe Tim and me/Steve chop 1st and 2nd and call it a day? Co-champs? If Tim wants to wait, that's fine, but speaking for me (Aaron portion of Aaron/Steve), I would like to not care about the real world tragedy and its impact on something fun. ----Aaron
I guess I am a dick. Thanks for the clarity.
I hadn't seen your post in DSafe's league when I posted my question. I thought your post/email was a classy move.

I knew I'd get some blowback for posting about fantasy in this thread, but since we don't have a recent fantasy thread I went for it. Much less backlash than I anticipated. IMO, it's not impossible to worry about Hamlin's health and also consider the fantasy football implications. It was horrendous watching him go down, seeing the pain and fear on all the players' faces and I was checking Twitter all day for updates, and I rarely check Twitter for anything. Still, life goes on, and I was curious how others are handling this unprecedented situation. While fantasy football is a frivolous endeavor and seeing a player potentially die on the field puts that into perspective, my league is 24 years running with friends from my past that I may not have kept in touch with otherwise, and I've wasted an enormous amount of time on this league. Frivolous as it is, this league has more of a direct impact on me personally than a guy whose name I didn't even know before he was injured.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not for nothing, but... There are millions of dollars at play here.

I think maybe "fantasy" tends to have ppl downplay the $$ involved with these endeavors.

My BIL is in multiple leagues and the payouts are in the thousands of dollars. And he's not even really a big money player.

I know I'm not saying anything you guys don't know, but it seems like an elephant in this discussion/room.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, I don't think anyone should feel even remotely bad about thinking about fantasy implications, or implications for the playoffs, or any other triviality - especially not after the initial shock of seeing the event wears off. For fuck's sake, it's not like your thoughts about those things are going to make it less likely for him to recover.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

:shock:

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If anything, isn’t that just a normal human reaction to tragedy? Something shocking and horrifying happens, and part of the process to cope with it is to try to see how “normal” life can return. I personally didn’t think that wondering about fantasy/scheduling/gambling aspects in any way diminishes what happened. I think that returning to normal is why off-color or dead-celebrity jokes are healing in a similar way.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was just busting balls for the most part, though it seems like a game based on the results of a game is quite trivial in comparison. In general, my patience for fantasy football related anything is close to nil under the best of circumstances. Carry on with the varied negotiations.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

My fantasy league decided to make the Monday game 0 and whoever is leading wins. It's like if they all got injured, tough luck.

And this has further implications as we have a toilet bowl and the loser of the toilet bowl has to eat as many chicken nuggets as the amount of points he lost by. And he had Ja'Marr Chase which will add a few nuggets
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

degenerasian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:30 pm My fantasy league decided to make the Monday game 0 and whoever is leading wins. It's like if they all got injured, tough luck.

And this has further implications as we have a toilet bowl and the loser of the toilet bowl has to eat as many chicken nuggets as the amount of points he lost by. And he had Ja'Marr Chase which will add a few nuggets
That's a punishment? That sounds awesome.

Edit:

A punishment would be to force the loser to eat that many nuggets per hour from the moment McDonald's served them until it closed and then to finish whatever is leftover in the parking lot. Dude can't go home until he's either done or pukes while begging for mercy.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That does sound like torture. Our Wooden Spoon used to just be they would bring a case of beer of their choosing to next year’s draft. The winner of our Toilet Bowl has a good reason to; we did a hybrid 5 player auction then draft, and the TB winner got the first pick in the draft portion (i.e. the 51st player).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Our league started with guys who all hung out together. Last place in our league used to have to buy beers for everyone at the next draft. But, after 30 years, our players now live in 4 different states, so that doesn't work anymore.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Our last place team has to wear a pink shirt with a unicorn on it that says "I suck at fantasy football". It was pretty comical last draft when it had to be shared due to the loser in '20 not being at the draft last year. So it went from a tiny 5'5" guy to a 6'8" guy half way through the draft.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto