2023 NBA Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: 2023 NBA Offseason Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:17 am The pont may be that you have to go somewhere and search for it. I heard about it only in passing and haven't seen anything else until this thread.
bingo. given the NBA's players are the most online of the major sports leagues, some social media chatter is to be expected and normal. but doesn't seem much more than that
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My "searching for it" was scrolling Instagram for a few minutes and then getting into my car and hearing on the radio that Charlemagne tha God giving him Donkey of the Day.

So....YMMV.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's the opposite of "having to search for it"? ESPN mention? Fox Sports?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the newspaper that arrives at my front door every morning duh
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Screaming’ A. Smith devoted a whole segment to it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:08 pm the newspaper that arrives at my front door every morning duh
It was an honest question, media member! I assume I search out most everything I consume about sports at this point because of the way I've cultivated my twitter feed. (And, by the same token, I miss a lot of "big" stories if I don't visit ESPN for a day or two.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:09 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:08 pm the newspaper that arrives at my front door every morning duh
It was an honest question, media member! I assume I search out most everything I consume about sports at this point because of the way I've cultivated my twitter feed. (And, by the same token, I miss a lot of "big" stories if I don't visit ESPN for a day or two.)
I never know with you!!! in this case it was a "I am unfamiliar with this I must look it up" vs. seeing it in my normal sports media consumption habits (which is quite wide-ranging, though I was admittedly less online Sun-Tue AM than normal)

I'm also fully aware that the range doesn't count many/any of the non-major outlet social media aggregation feeds that others choose to follow or find in their algorithms. I know I've made my feelings known on them in the past and will refrain from doing so again.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kevin Porter, Jr. is hopefully a soon-to-be former Rocket. He was arrested after beating up his girlfriend, WNBA player Kysre Gondrezick. She's also the god daughter of John Lucas who has worked with Porter on his various issues. Asshole.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

WE'RE AFRAID GIANNIS IS GOING TO LEAVE!

Edit:

The Portland Trail Blazers will receive Jrue Holiday, Deandre Ayton, Toumani Camara, a 2029 unprotected Milwaukee first-round pick, and unprotected Milwaukee swap rights in 2028 and 2030.

Phoenix receives Jusuf Nurkic, Grayson Allen, Nassir Little and Keon Johnson.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know Jrue is good, but did Milwaukee really only give up him and a 1st (plus swaps)? That seems incredibly light for that level of upgrade.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:36 pm I know Jrue is good, but did Milwaukee really only give up him and a 1st (plus swaps)? That seems incredibly light for that level of upgrade.
Portland had no leverage.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Holiday has one year plus a player option left on his deal. I would expect Portland to hang onto him until the trade deadline to tutor Scoot Henderson and Shaedon Sharpe for four months before flipping him for more picks.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So it was kind of a 4 teamer. Gunna miss Timelord.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Two years left on Brogdon's deal at $22.5 per and Williams has three for just over $37 total. Williams stays, Brogdon gets shopped at the deadline/next summer unless he has a season-ending injury.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Theyre gonna need five bodies to play center and power forward? Porzingis and horford not nearly enough especially with age and injury history. Grant williams would have been nice to keep if they were going this route.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Trading away your 2 best defensive players in the off-season normally isn't good. Maybe they're worried about Time Lord's injury future.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Presume they think they've gotten a defensive upgrade back. White and holiday and Tatum will be a great defensively on perimeter but may not matter if they can't clean the glass. At some point they just have to find a couple 3 and D power forwards. Even smallish ones like grant Williams, jae crowder, Morris brothers ok but has to eat nails. Team is totally lacking in dirt floor types. Not sure if it's too late to find that