Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:Bronto - I think with a few tweaks to your broad jump form, you can definitely catch Tyler Bray.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I debated training for it but then realized that it'd be better if I didn't. I had done a lot of stuff along the lines of combine drills last year but have been sticking to the "basics" this year.

I think it'd be insane to see the gains I'd make in three months of simple technique training and some combine-specificity.

(And thanks everyone, appreciate it. I'm waiting for the call about a reality show any day now.)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I used to be decent at broad jumping. Then I became a junior in high school. That year I got slower and weaker compared to previous years.

It's pretty cool to see someone I "know" do great things for a webpage like Yahoo. I look forward to the rest of these.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

By the way, Bronto, while I can out jump you (and out-conjugate the verb to lie), I can't get even one rep at 225. Never have been able to. The most I've ever maxed is an even 200 (of course, pussies like me don't try to max too often). I've been lifting fairly regularly for the past year or so and I could probably only max about 195 right now.
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What's next? How about taking a car for a spin on a NASCAR course in the same context as race qualifying?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dude, no spotter? I'd never do that even for something like 185.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:Dude, no spotter? I'd never do that even for something like 185.
It looked like that rack he was using had a couple of supports that would have caught the bar had he dropped it.

And 240 was the most I ever got, and 5 reps of 225 was the best ever. I doubt I could do 150 these days.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Two would probably be my best case (maybe three just to beat Stan). Zero or one is probably more likely scenario.

A few years ago during the AofG challenge, before we just gave up, I would have beat the Honey Badger with 6 or 7 reps.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I had the bars on the rack positioned to where I can roll it up and drop my chest and it catches the bar. I didn't need a spotter, I wasn't going to get crushed.

I end up getting pinned about once every 5-6 weeks by going for a rep I shouldn't go for. I can do that benching in a rack and working out by myself.

Adrenaline is a fun thing too. My 5 rep day on 5/3/1 yesterday was brutal.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just went to get a coffee refill and my coffee cup died...well the little rubber stopper mechanism broke off. Third one in the last 6 months or so. Not like I hammer on the thing, but these Chinese need to get on the fucking ball.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

And in something that may only interest me, in the ~10 minute walk from my bus stop to office I saw crowds of students between classes. In an in formal survey I saw 2 women with jeans, 1 with a skirt, 3 with sweatpants and the rest were wearing some form of tights/yoga pants and no uggs in sight. What a glorious age we live in.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:And in something that may only interest me, in the ~10 minute walk from my bus stop to office I saw crowds of students between classes. In an in formal survey I saw 2 women with jeans, 1 with a skirt, 3 with sweatpants and the rest were wearing some form of tights/yoga pants and no uggs in sight. What a glorious age we live in.

I'm convinced that yoga pants and tights can be deceiving. I think a lot of horrible asses are made to look amazing by the power of tightening an lifting. It's fun to pretend otherwise though, or at least enjoy the view.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
I'm convinced that yoga pants and tights can be deceiving. I think a lot of horrible asses are made to look amazing by the power of tightening an lifting. It's fun to pretend otherwise though, or at least enjoy the view.
This is Boulder, the ones with horrible asses are those wearing sweatpants.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Cool beans, Stan. People really have no idea how ridiculous even the slowest of these dudes are - which I think is why you can't compare the injuries people got 40 years ago to those today.

I'm intrigued to try these as well but afraid that I'd finish just as poorly, if not worse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Watching you do the 3 cone drill is hilarious. There's just something funny about watching people run. Also, the sound would be better if you had a mic on you.

Criticisms aside, these are great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, this series and your videos are great. A lot of fun to watch.

A few observations affecting your times:

- That floor looks slick. It looked like you had to be careful when changing direction. I have to think that they have a better surface at the combine. This can make a HUGE difference in times.

- Sorry man, but you have pretty poor sprinting form. It may go back to the slick floor, but it looked almost like you were shuffling instead of sprinting. Get those knees up a bit more and really drive those legs up and down. Essentially, speed comes from stomping the ground as hard as you can. You can't do that when you barely pick your feet up. A little form work and your times in that 60 would drop.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:And in something that may only interest me, in the ~10 minute walk from my bus stop to office I saw crowds of students between classes. In an in formal survey I saw 2 women with jeans, 1 with a skirt, 3 with sweatpants and the rest were wearing some form of tights/yoga pants and no uggs in sight. What a glorious age we live in.

Chances are I'm not going to see that ass without the yoga pants on anyway, so deceive away!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Great idea and well done Nick. This doesn't give me an appreciation of how fast the NFL hopefuls are, but more like how slow you are. Just kidding. Sort of. I bet RickBaller could do the 60m shuttle in under 10 seconds without a stopwatch.

I did enjoy the video clip that popped up after yours ended:

Your Greandparents read your text messages
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

THE FORTY!

NFL players are all pretty good athletes!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great work again. These are fun to watch.

They don't really run on astroturf at the combine, do they? For some reason, I thought it was a real track surface. I'm pretty sure turf would be slower than a basketball court.

How does that automatic timer work? It looks like it's just a cell phone on a tripod.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Isn't Rich Eisen doing the 40 a thing every year? So he's running on the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I want to see Bronto side by side with Eisen.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:Great work again. These are fun to watch.

They don't really run on astroturf at the combine, do they? For some reason, I thought it was a real track surface. I'm pretty sure turf would be slower than a basketball court.

How does that automatic timer work? It looks like it's just a cell phone on a tripod.
The video doesn't include the three times I slipped on the start. The floor back there was sliiiiick. I had to be conservative, though by no means am I saying I'd get a 5.1 or anything with turf. I think cleats and turf are faster because of force production. I could be wrong.

The timer has a cord and then a laser beam across it. On the cord is the pad, so it starts when your finger leaves the pad and then ends when you cross the barrier. We had a tape -- the same one we used for the broad jump -- and just measured out 40 yards. You also can't see that I had maybe 7-8 yards of space after crossing the line before hitting a wall. I was afraid of hurting myself. (With the shuttle I was running into a file cabinet.)

And thanks, y'all.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thank you!

Though snuggling down with my wife last night to watch videos of another guy working out was odd.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:Thank you!

Though snuggling down with my wife last night to watch videos of another guy working out was odd.
Hi honey, lets curl up on a blanket and watch this dude I know from the internet run around!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote:

Hi honey, lets curl up on a blanket and watch this dude I know from the internet run around!
Pretty much. As far as mood setting lines go, that wasn't my best.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Pretty much. As far as mood setting lines go, that wasn't my best.
Well, the videos might have worked for me, if that makes you feel any better.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yahoo!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

If you ever find yourself in a semi-urban environment and are thinking about where to go to get some work done, the Public Library isn't as good an option as you might think. This place is lousy with homeless and elderly people (no offense Howard or HDO, you guys are 2 of the "good ones). Not that I am prejudiced against the residentially challenged or anything. Don't blame them, either. It is cold as fuck out there!

As a random aside, my hotel had 2 electric car parking spots complete with refill hookups. Never seen that before. They look like mini-gas pumps, too. Is this common now, or is it just because I am in a hippy town? Friendliest people ever.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Howard and HDO are homeless?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Howard and HDO are homeless?

Well, have you ever seen them in homes? Didn't thinks so.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'm squatting
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:If you ever find yourself in a semi-urban environment and are thinking about where to go to get some work done, the Public Library isn't as good an option as you might think. This place is lousy with homeless and elderly people (no offense Howard or HDO, you guys are 2 of the "good ones). Not that I am prejudiced against the residentially challenged or anything. Don't blame them, either. It is cold as fuck out there!

As a random aside, my hotel had 2 electric car parking spots complete with refill hookups. Never seen that before. They look like mini-gas pumps, too. Is this common now, or is it just because I am in a hippy town? Friendliest people ever.
Is it a LEED-certified hotel? The hotel we stay at here for my fitness conference is one and they have the two spots too. It's 2 years old.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When I need to get out of the house, need to get some work done, but don't want to go all the way to the San Francisco office, I've found a great option. My gym has a "business center" area, with free wifi, quiet space, and I can work out afterwards!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Electric car recharge spots are a thing in Europe. And I also believe that military bases are pushing for them too. I'll have to double check that though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's thousands of electric car "refill" locations in the US. There's something like 50 or so in Las Vegas alone. California has to have at least a thousand.

http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've been clippering my own hair for a couple of years, and I haven't paid for a haircut since I took that up. My downstairs bathroom is torn up with our remodel, and we have a wedding to go to this weekend, and I have almost four hours to kill before school is out, so I think I might go find a barber.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I just saw that Stealers Wheel was basically Gerry Rafferty. I don't consider them a true one-hit wonder anymore.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote:I just saw that Stealers Wheel was basically Gerry Rafferty. I don't consider them a true one-hit wonder anymore.
I can't hear Stuck in the Middle with You, without thinking of that gruesome scene in Reservoir Dogs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian