To the extent it comes up: Trump crap post-WH years

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: To the extent it comes up: Trump crap post-WH years

Post by tennbengal »

TankFarm2023 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:03 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:05 am Now that he has Trump's endorsement, what are the chances that Gym Jordan becomes the speaker?
Prognosticating is a fool's game, but I have to think that Jordan, like Gaetz, is regarded as damaged goods by the rest of the g.o.p. But, naive that I am, I thought Reagan was toast in August of 1980.

I suspect that the vertically-challenged senator from NC (Henry, is it?) stays in place until the 2024 elections. Or...... Jeffries? Every week seems crazier than the last, so I see no reason not to fear that the most implausible outcome is what's in our future.

I was tickled, however, to see that Clooney has made a docudrama about Jordan's sordid behavior in the recent past.
Took me 8 years but I am finally to the "i can't ever rule anything out" stage of observing that party.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So apparently Trump just said that “Netanyahu let us down” in a 2020 secret mission to kill an Iranian general.

He’s trying to stay relevant as a national security risk?
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:42 pm So apparently Trump just said that “Netanyahu let us down” in a 2020 secret mission to kill an Iranian general.

He’s trying to stay relevant as a national security risk?
For the 100,000th time, Trump does something that would have been the biggest scandal for any other President, and it will barely be a blip, because he will do something even worse in an hour.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Powell pleading guilty in the Georgia case - that likely means she's flipping, right?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/politics ... index.html
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Apparently, yes, that is what it means -

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kraken released!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:29 amKraken released!
I do wonder if, seeing that this is a fairly light sentence for domestic treason (I know that isn't a thing) that we may see more of the fringe people jumping at deals. Or a bunch of faulty windows in the US all of a sudden.

I don't know guys, maybe this is what hahahahahahaha
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Interesting. Not sure how significant this flip is to the overall case, but it does seem to confirm my priors that people are going to do anything to avoid serving time in a Georgia state penitentiary. It’s a bit different from the federal minimum security places.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

OK, promise not to talk to the media, mmmmkay?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:40 am Interesting. Not sure how significant this flip is to the overall case, but it does seem to confirm my priors that people are going to do anything to avoid serving time in a Georgia state penitentiary. It’s a bit different from the federal minimum security places.
Rudy in GenPop anywhere sounds like a great watch.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Do you know how fucking ridiculous it is that an officer of the court gets a, “ha ha ha, no seriously, not talking to the press is part of this plea deal, OK?”

The very fact she was an officer of the court was to lend credence to the notion the election was stolen.

She should be buried under the jail next to Trump’s fetid corpse. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:28 am Apparently, yes, that is what it means -

They should have at least forced her to do a token amount of time behind bars. I hope she is also getting disbarred.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Trump co-defendant Ken Cheeseboro (I don't care, close enough) pleads guilty down in GA.

Rats off a ship. Fucking awesome.

Key to takeaway here is that both trials would've given Trump lawyers (and other defendants) the road map of the prosecution' case. Now, you've got two cooperating witnesses and the others still don't know the extent of what the prosecutors have on them.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:32 pm Trump co-defendant Ken Cheeseboro (I don't care, close enough) pleads guilty down in GA.

Key to takeaway here is that both trials would've given Trump lawyers (and other defendants) the road map of the prosecution' case. Now, you've got two cooperating witnesses and the others still don't know the extent of what the prosecutors have on them.
Dominoes.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:06 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:32 pm Trump co-defendant Ken Cheeseboro (I don't care, close enough) pleads guilty down in GA.

Dominoes.
I heard an analyst (Ellie Honig?) saying there is a huge enticement to cooperate first, because there is limited need for cooperators. Once the prosecution has the evidence, they won't accept plea deals from anyone else. You have two of his lawyers turning, so I can't imagine there is much more evidence they could need.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

"I'm going to surround myself with only the best and most serious people" - Donald Trump
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:11 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:06 pm

Dominoes.
I heard an analyst (Ellie Honig?) saying there is a huge enticement to cooperate first, because there is limited need for cooperators. Once the prosecution has the evidence, they won't accept plea deals from anyone else. You have two of his lawyers turning, so I can't imagine there is much more evidence they could need.
I'd agree generally, but given the main goal, I'd love to see all of them flip. Although, to be fair, if everyone else flipped it might look like a set up.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Does he get to keep his law license after copping to a felony?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Baloney wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:46 pm Does he get to keep his law license after copping to a felony?
Depends on the rules wherever he's licensed, but I wouldn't think so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:33 pm

I'd agree generally, but given the main goal, I'd love to see all of them flip. Although, to be fair, if everyone else flipped it might look like a set up.
I hear ya, but these were lawyers knowingly pushing the Big Lie in 62(?) court cases and spending years pushing it on TV and public appearances for the purpose of overthrowing our democracy. They deserve more punishment than $9,000 and writing an apology letter. They are the reason 30% of Americans still believe Trump won the election.

Speaking of depressingly low judgments, Trump was just fined $5,000 for violating the gag order in the Civil fraud case. He refused to remove a post attacking the Judge's clerk. FFS, fining him $5,000 is worse than doing nothing! He'll publicly make fun of it, and it cheapens the severity of the attacks he makes on public officials. He is going to get someone killed.
-Pruitt
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

Powell, Chesebro, perhaps as bait for bigger fish? Say, perhaps, Rudy?

Regardless, I can't imagine djt is going to have a relaxing weekend.
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:09 pm

Speaking of depressingly low judgments, Trump was just fined $5,000 for violating the gag order in the Civil fraud case. He refused to remove a post attacking the Judge's clerk. FFS, fining him $5,000 is worse than doing nothing! He'll publicly make fun of it, and it cheapens the severity of the attacks he makes on public officials. He is going to get someone killed.
It's also potentially a delicious bait. Trump could do what you're saying, but he'd probably make the mistake of mentioning someone by name, and then it gets interesting. The hardest thing for that guy to do is keep his mouth shut.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I hear ya, but these were lawyers knowingly pushing the Big Lie in 62(?) court cases and spending years pushing it on TV and public appearances for the purpose of overthrowing our democracy. They deserve more punishment than $9,000 and writing an apology letter. They are the reason 30% of Americans still believe Trump won the election.

Saw a similar sentiment in a tweet from Michael Cohen. "I got jail time and Sidney gets probation!" Someone's crimes and punishment in another jurisdiction have zero bearing on what should be done in another case in another jurisdiction. Additionally, the DA weighed whether or not she'd have a better chance at success in her myriad of cases with assistance from codefendants and decided to give these deals. No way for us to judge from here, at this point, whether or not that's the right choice. Punishing them for pushing the Big Lie in 62 court cases is not Willis' job.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:37 pm

Saw a similar sentiment in a tweet from Michael Cohen. "I got jail time and Sidney gets probation!" Someone's crimes and punishment in another jurisdiction have zero bearing on what should be done in another case in another jurisdiction. Additionally, the DA weighed whether or not she'd have a better chance at success in her myriad of cases with assistance from codefendants and decided to give these deals. No way for us to judge from here, at this point, whether or not that's the right choice. Punishing them for pushing the Big Lie in 62 court cases is not Willis' job.
I agree, I wasn't criticizing Wills, and if whatever Powell and Cheeseboro are offering are the key to the case, by all means, let them walk. I just talking about the bigger picture wanting to see justice served, which is a hell of a lot bigger a sentence than the maximum sentencing guidelines call for. Another win for Willis is that Trump can't watch Cheeseboro defend his case and alter his strategy based on what happened at the prior trial. I think that is a huge advantage lost for Trump.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:34 pm

It's also potentially a delicious bait. Trump could do what you're saying, but he'd probably make the mistake of mentioning someone by name, and then it gets interesting. The hardest thing for that guy to do is keep his mouth shut.
He has been naming people by name, and even Truthing home addresses. The clerk in question, he used her name and posted pictures of her with Chuck Schumer. At one point he insinuated they were having an affair.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

He's already gotten someone killed (the dimwitted girl who got shot climbing through that small window into the hallway during the insurrection attempt.

Oh, and that $5k fine is horse shit. He should have his bond revoked for violating the gag order. Fuck all this nonsense.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You can probably include 5(?) police officers at Jan 6 also.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:52 pm You can probably include 5(?) police officers at Jan 6 also.
Yup. My bad for not including them as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:09 pmSpeaking of depressingly low judgments, Trump was just fined $5,000 for violating the gag order in the Civil fraud case. He refused to remove a post attacking the Judge's clerk. FFS, fining him $5,000 is worse than doing nothing! He'll publicly make fun of it, and it cheapens the severity of the attacks he makes on public officials. He is going to get someone killed.
I have seen it theorized on the socials that the judge issued the fine as a small punishment to make certain that everything looks fair when it is all said and done instead of creating a potential appearance of bias (because you know the judge will also get the same treatment if anything does not look completely impartial - which we also know will not be viewed as impartiality, anyway).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't remember the technicalities or legalese, but I read that Cheeseboro specifically negotiated a plea deal that would leave open the possibility of not getting disbarred.

And, yes, having both trials averted is a huge strategic blow to Trump's ability to find the road map Willis is going to use.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sometimes it's a positive when Trump speaks. I really hope he keeps pushing this line.

-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ellis pleads guilty as well.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:50 am Ellis pleads guilty as well.
That one is much less of a surprise. She has been making the rounds trashing Trump. Bizarre trajectory for her. Started off never-Trump, worked for him and was a major part of the legal team to push the big lie, then came to Jesus and admits Trump is a fraud and a horrible person and President.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Stable Genius indeed. How does this guy draw crowds? I get that most of them are morons, but how is anyone impressed? He has the mental capacity of a 5 year old and is absolutely enamored with his genius. And his only other move is whining like a 3 year old to the crowd that hates "Liberal Snowflakes", yet they worship a guy who does nothing but complain that everyone is being unfair to him.

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That crowd is mostly the 'lead paint' generation and people from the other end of the Bell Curve.

I mean, there's this contingent of angry whites locally that waive their flags and hold their signs on a Saturday for hours for him -- during the summer. It's fucking Arizona, man. And they do it at the intersection that's right near the police station too.

I just laugh, waive, and go about my day when I pass them.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Meadows given full immunity for his testimony. We got him, you guys!

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm still in "believe when I see it" mode. Trump has avoided consequences his whole damn life, so I really doubt have the energy to be excited.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:10 pm I'm still in "believe when I see it" mode. Trump has avoided consequences his whole damn life, so I really doubt have the energy to be excited.
When my wife told me Meadows flipped, I thought it was in the Georgia case. If it’s Jack Smith, Smith has got the goods. Doesn’t this make it more likely he’ll flip in GA too?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

cerranoredux wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:13 pm
Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:10 pm I'm still in "believe when I see it" mode. Trump has avoided consequences his whole damn life, so I really doubt have the energy to be excited.
When my wife told me Meadows flipped, I thought it was in the Georgia case. If it’s Jack Smith, Smith has got the goods. Doesn’t this make it more likely he’ll flip in GA too?
I'm curious how much cooperation is taking place between Willis and Smith.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The world's longest series of appeals and extension requests is part of this. Running out the clock.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”