Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Temporary Television

Post by duff »

Just finished Stranger Things. I didn't enjoy like I thought I would. The first half was much better then the second. It was highly recommended by my co-worker, but he has a huge crush for 80s nostalgia.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime was super good. I totally recommend it.

The gf and I are now starting in on The Americans.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Finished Master of None yesterday. Very enjoyable.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Catastrophe from Channel 4 is pretty good.
It's great.
First episode of season 3! Woot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Walton Goggins as Lee Russell v. Richard "Rip" Taggart is a demonstration in range.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Interested in hearing if anyone else is checking out Trial & Error. In the style of Parks and Rec, but perhaps trying a little much on the quirk. So far enjoyable, but not sure how long the premise can last (big city lawyer first case in a small town trope.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wife and I are old, so most nights we watch a Wheel/Jeopardy double bill.

Last night featured this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rpzMD0ClSQ

Making it worse is the fact that on the previous puzzle, that guy blew at least 12 grand worth of cash and prizes by being remarkably dumb as well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pretty obvious that nobody has to pass any test in advance to qualify for Wheel of Fortune.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote:Interested in hearing if anyone else is checking out Trial & Error. In the style of Parks and Rec, but perhaps trying a little much on the quirk. So far enjoyable, but not sure how long the premise can last (big city lawyer first case in a small town trope.)
I felt the same way and then remembered that's how I felt at the beginning of Parks and Rec, so I have hope.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Interested in hearing if anyone else is checking out Trial & Error. In the style of Parks and Rec, but perhaps trying a little much on the quirk. So far enjoyable, but not sure how long the premise can last (big city lawyer first case in a small town trope.)
I felt the same way and then remembered that's how I felt at the beginning of Parks and Rec, so I have hope.
I was poking around and evidently, they plan on having a different case for each season. Hopefully NBC lets it stick around a bit, lord knows they don't really have anything else worth watching on.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm glad that I love Detroiters (just renewed for season two), but mostly glad that it's because it's a really funny show. Has that right amount of bizarreness to it (which I thought of after thinking about Parks and Rec).

Really love it for all the inside jokes that only Detroiters would get (most of the advertising accounts they have are very, very loosely based on iconic local TV ads from my (and I suppose Sam and Tim's) youth).

Best one yet and one that hits closest to home is the episode where the new transplants to Detroit from Denver are asking if the neighborhood where a bar they're going to is safe, which causes Sam and Tim to scoff about how "this isn't a third world city" and to quit being such a wuss, then when they say the bar is only 12 blocks away they'll just walk there then, Sam and Tim both seize up and say "Oh Jesus Christ, whatever you do, do not walk there!".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:I'm glad that I love Detroiters (just renewed for season two), but mostly glad that it's because it's a really funny show. Has that right amount of bizarreness to it (which I thought of after thinking about Parks and Rec).

Really love it for all the inside jokes that only Detroiters would get (most of the advertising accounts they have are very, very loosely based on iconic local TV ads from my (and I suppose Sam and Tim's) youth).

Best one yet and one that hits closest to home is the episode where the new transplants to Detroit from Denver are asking if the neighborhood where a bar they're going to is safe, which causes Sam and Tim to scoff about how "this isn't a third world city" and to quit being such a wuss, then when they say the bar is only 12 blocks away they'll just walk there then, Sam and Tim both seize up and say "Oh Jesus Christ, whatever you do, do not walk there!".
I love the show.

But first, let's do the hustle!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yep, another great Detroit inside joke. (I appreciated that they did it like five or six times in the episode as well instead of a couple because that's the kind of "beat you over the head" humor I enjoy. I still think the Sideshow Bob/rake gag in the "Cape Feare" episode of the Simpsons is the hardest I've ever laughed in my life).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
Giff wrote:Pruitt, don't you have some connection to Paw Patrol?
Yeah, I wrote 7 episodes in the first two seasons.

"No job is too big, no pup is too small!"
PAW Patrol is on a roll!!
Anyone else watch Workaholics?

Paw Patrol got a shoutout in the series finale. (The guys only had enough pot for one bowl watching Saturday morning cartoons, inspiring a Rube Goldberg-esque contraption to try and save as much smoke as possible, only to find out that it's actually Friday morning and not Saturday morning. The money quote after they start panicking about being insanely late for work:

"I think you guys are missing the big picture here. This means we have to wait another 24 hours for Paw Patrol!"
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Paw Patrol got a shoutout in the series finale. (The guys only had enough pot for one bowl watching Saturday morning cartoons, inspiring a Rube Goldberg-esque contraption to try and save as much smoke as possible, only to find out that it's actually Friday morning and not Saturday morning. The money quote after they start panicking about being insanely late for work:

"I think you guys are missing the big picture here. This means we have to wait another 24 hours for Paw Patrol!"
I joke with my students that if they'd seen anything I'd written since they turned 12, they must have been pretty buzzed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pilot of The Legend of Master Legend on Amazon Prime was pretty good. John Hawkes is great. Just an actor who you always recognize but never can remember his name.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Yep, another great Detroit inside joke. (I appreciated that they did it like five or six times in the episode as well instead of a couple because that's the kind of "beat you over the head" humor I enjoy. I still think the Sideshow Bob/rake gag in the "Cape Feare" episode of the Simpsons is the hardest I've ever laughed in my life).
I watched last week's last night and it was easily the best.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

That was about the only good thing about the last season. Just awful, IMO.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, last season was pretty weak. I did enjoy the final episode though.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

No! Other than having no fucking clue what's going on, she's the most annoying part of that show.

Syd on the other hand...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Syd is beautiful. I think Plaza has been great, especially since
[+] spoiler
her full on evil turn.
Hoosier
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hoosier »

Bosch on Prime streaming is probably one of the best detective shows I've ever seen. It's a procedural and those aren't for everyone, but it's how it should be done. Seasons 1 and 2 are out and season 3 is out next month.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can't get into Bosch because it still seems like a pale comparison to the novels for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hoosier reveals him/herself every two years to make a TV recommendation, then disappears into the crowd of Manning and Luck jerseys, remote in hand.
Hoosier
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hoosier »

rass wrote:Hoosier reveals him/herself every two years to make a TV recommendation, then disappears into the crowd of Manning and Luck jerseys, remote in hand.
True enough. Though I like TV a lot more than I like the Colts these days. As weird as The Young Pope was, it was still easier to understand than trying to figure out why Chuck Pagano is still employed.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Hoosier reveals him/herself every two years to make a TV recommendation, then disappears into the crowd of Manning/Luck double jerseys, remote in hand.
FTFY
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone watch Lilyhammer on Netflix? I watched the first season, and liked it. Definitely weird, like a Goodfellas character meets Northern Exposure meets the original Fargo movie. Steven van Zandt plays a mafia boss who disappears to Lillehammer Norway after testifying against the head of his family. It's a Norwegian show, which may be why the feel of the show is so unusual. Half subtitled, half English, as the main character understands Norwegian, but responds mostly speaks English, and everyone else speaks at least a little English.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Anyone watch Lilyhammer on Netflix?

I watched the first season. I liked it, but curtailed a lot of my TV viewing to things I REALLY like. Might have to revisit it, well once I'm done with season 11 of Trailer Park Boys.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm really enjoying One Punch Man on Netflix.

I like my mega-violent Anime to not take itself seriously.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:Anyone watch Lilyhammer on Netflix? I watched the first season, and liked it. Definitely weird, like a Goodfellas character meets Northern Exposure meets the original Fargo movie. Steven van Zandt plays a mafia boss who disappears to Lillehammer Norway after testifying against the head of his family. It's a Norwegian show, which may be why the feel of the show is so unusual. Half subtitled, half English, as the main character understands Norwegian, but responds mostly speaks English, and everyone else speaks at least a little English.
I might check this out. Steve Van Zandt is such an interesting guy. So, now he's in a Norwegian tv show (which must be a bit surreal for him). I love listening to the stories he tells on Sirius/XM's Underground Garage. Some channel "hosts" do nothing more than record a promo or two, but one gets the sense that Van Zandt is all over this channel.

The guy records and tours with his own band, records and tours with Springsteen, runs a radio channel, and acts in Norwegian television. What a slacker.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And he was on a little show called The Sopranos. (Not that you didn't know that but still.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:And he was on a little show called The Sopranos. (Not that you didn't know that but still.)
Yeah. He told a story on the radio I heard once, about how he was hired to play Silvio.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I give "Brockmire" on IFC a thumbs up. Pretty crass comedy and I really liked the line, "You're cute. You remind me of my favorite stepfather," among others.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I give "Brockmire" on IFC a thumbs up. Pretty crass comedy and I really liked the line, "You're cute. You remind me of my favorite stepfather," among others.
Watched it over my lunch break today and thought it was fantastic. Azaria is great and holy crap is Amanda Peet still great looking. Damn!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just watched whatever scene it was when he's doing the play by play and then starts talking about his wife pegging the neighbor.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brockmire is funny....dark, but funny. Hank Azaria's voice is awesome, and now I'm not going to able to watch a baseball game this season without thinking of it.

And Amanda Peet...smoking hot.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Brockmeyer: And when I'm gone, give this note to my wife.

Jules: It just says "fuck you".

Brockmeyer: She'll know what it's about.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm actually enjoying the new 24. I think I might've already posted this, but I don't care.