The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm I’ve mentioned before that my buddy’s nephew is a banjo player in the Billy Strings band. That nephew is getting married tomorrow. My friend says the whole band and many other musicians are coming, so he is anticipating an epic private pickup concert at some point in the reception.
Learned today that Billy Strings will be the first-ever concert two months from now in the new Tahoe Blue Event Center, a 4,200-seat arena opening in September in Stateline, NV. The arena will also feature an ECHL expansion team in 2024 owned by one Tim Tebow, who is attempting to fail in a third professional sport.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:57 am
sancarlos wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm I’ve mentioned before that my buddy’s nephew is a banjo player in the Billy Strings band. That nephew is getting married tomorrow. My friend says the whole band and many other musicians are coming, so he is anticipating an epic private pickup concert at some point in the reception.
Learned today that Billy Strings will be the first-ever concert two months from now in the new Tahoe Blue Event Center, a 4,200-seat arena opening in September in Stateline, NV. The arena will also feature an ECHL expansion team in 2024 owned by one Tim Tebow, who is attempting to fail in a third professional sport.
My niece's husband just got stationed in Bridgeport for three years, so looking forward to making it out there. Only 90 minutes away.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Marshawn has company...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This show is causing easily the worst “I picked the wrong night” of my life. I am dying to death. No one has ever had anything worse than I do right now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:58 pm This show is causing easily the worst “I picked the wrong night” of my life. I am dying to death. No one has ever had anything worse than I do right now.
It's not even over yet! How were the Beths?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Check your email in 30 seconds (unless I have yet again mismatched someone’s handle and real name).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:22 pm Check your email in 30 seconds (unless I have yet again mismatched someone’s handle and real name).
Got it! That photo is great! Liz and Co. are such lovely people.

Did they mention Ben's travel blog, "Breakfast and Travel Updates"?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's the shirt my wife got. I got the one just between and above their heads.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Both bands were great and the venue is the best version of a renovated historic theatre. Great sound, esp bass, and good bar areas. We were getting her a shirt b/w shows and she was just hanging out. Quick picture, couldn’t have been nicer and that sort of interaction goes forever with a kid. She changed into the shirt immediately and wore it home again today.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One minute, it’s the worst night ever, then, everything turned out fine?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No. I had a great time night 1 with my oldest. But the superfan in me is lamenting that we didn’t get the night 2 setlist.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

superdad > superfan
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:55 am superdad > superfan
superdad>saddad
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I get it, but seems he's more a sadfan than a saddad.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:20 am I get it, but seems he's more a sadfan than a saddad.
No reason to go past three words here! Not a deep joke. But maybe that's because I am not afflicted with the sadness.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:22 am
rass wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:20 am I get it, but seems he's more a sadfan than a saddad.
No reason to go past three words here! Not a deep joke. But maybe that's because I am not afflicted with the sadness.
afflicted with the sadness > down with the sickness
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

(Melancholy guitar solo) A-wha-ah-ah-ah
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Looks like I'm about to break my 18-19 year streak of not going to a real concert. A friend was offered 2 tickets to see Government Mule and Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening. No idea what to expect, but a little excited. I've always had the sense that Gov't Mule was a band I would probably be into, but I realized as I Googled that I knew nothing about them and going through Spotify, didn't recognize any of their music. Apparently their second set is playing Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon album, which seems weird, but an all-time classic.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:56 pm Looks like I'm about to break my 18-19 year streak of not going to a real concert. A friend was offered 2 tickets to see Government Mule and Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening. No idea what to expect, but a little excited. I've always had the sense that Gov't Mule was a band I would probably be into, but I realized as I Googled that I knew nothing about them and going through Spotify, didn't recognize any of their music. Apparently their second set is playing Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon album, which seems weird, but an all-time classic.
I used to see Gov't Mule back in the early 00s. They're a fun time, but you might tire of Warren Haynes' voice after a while. Matt Abpts is a very good drummer. Ironic given John Bonham's son is on the bill as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:56 pm Looks like I'm about to break my 18-19 year streak of not going to a real concert. A friend was offered 2 tickets to see Government Mule and Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening. No idea what to expect, but a little excited. I've always had the sense that Gov't Mule was a band I would probably be into, but I realized as I Googled that I knew nothing about them and going through Spotify, didn't recognize any of their music. Apparently their second set is playing Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon album, which seems weird, but an all-time classic.
That will be a fun time. Enjoy!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:09 am Either Boygenius sold the shit out of MSG or the presale ticket levels are low.
2/3 of boygenius took their tops off in concert last night.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bonham band was awesome! And I feel so young snd in shape I’m this crowd!
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:23 pm
That will be a fun time. Enjoy!
Blown away! Gov't Mule fucking rock hard! They played their own songs for about an hour, including 3 or 4 on their upcoming album. Then they broke into a couple Pink Floyd tunes and the entire Darkside album. Encore was Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here. Really impressive laser show throughout. The saxophone player and two female backups who came out for Darkside were absolutely phenomenal! Really wish I wasn't driving so I could have smoked, show would have been unreal high.

Also blown away by how nice the PNC Bank Performing Arts Center is. Never been there. I think a big part of the experience was the majority of the crowd being 60+, so it was incredibly orderly and friendly crowd without drunken morons running around. The few teens there were mostly with their parents. Beautiful facilities, two large, clean food courts with Top Chef contestants creating or putting their name on most of the items. No lines, I went to bathroom between sets assuming a huge line, but there was an open urinal and several employees cleaning. Crazy clean. Makes me want to start going to more shows!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That’s great, man! Need to see if they’re coming here.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fyre Festival 2 tickets went on sale last weekend and apparently sold out and why in the world would anyone give Billy McFarland any money?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:56 pm Fyre Festival 2 tickets went on sale last weekend and apparently sold out and why in the world would anyone give Billy McFarland any money?
Are you freakin kidding me?

If you could sell (seated) tickets to January 6th they'd sell for $10k and you'd sell a half million tickets.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:00 pm
BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:56 pm Fyre Festival 2 tickets went on sale last weekend and apparently sold out and why in the world would anyone give Billy McFarland any money?

If you could sell (seated) tickets to January 6th they'd sell for $10k and you'd sell a half million tickets.
I’m confused now. What does Billy McFarland and his Fyre Festival fiasco have to do with the January 6th bullshit?

I get that they were each promoted by snake oil salesman, but one group is innocent concert-goers. The other is criminal insurrectionists.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:18 pm

I’m confused now. What does Billy McFarland and his Fyre Festival fiasco have to do with the January 6th bullshit?

I get that they were each promoted by snake oil salesman, but one group is innocent concert-goers. The other is criminal insurrectionists.
I'm saying that, knowing what happened, people will go out of the way to watch a shitshow unravel in person (seated, of course).
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:41 pm

I'm saying that, knowing what happened, people will go out of the way to watch a shitshow unravel in person (seated, of course).
Why would you trust you’d have a seat for it instead of a FEMA tent with cheese sandwiches?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:46 pm

Why would you trust you’d have a seat for it instead of a FEMA tent with cheese sandwiches?
I wouldn't trust shit. I'm just telling you why people rushed to buy tickets.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:46 pm

Why would people believe anything Trump says? Why would people believe the Earth is flat? The world/country is filled with morons.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:16 am Flogging Molly (and Vandoliers) show canceled due to credible threat against venue or band

Dang, curious to hear the story.
Saw that on the VFFV page last night. WTF?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

What the Feck? Crazy.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Went to Bumbershoot on Sunday. First time they've put it on in 3 years. The previous management company was trying to turn it into another Coachella/Bonnaroo kind of thing, which wasn't a good fit for what its been in the past.

Anyways, saw a bunch of bands...Highlights were definitely Massy Ferguson (a local bar-type band that somehow we'd never seen before) and Band of Horses, who were great.

But the band we talked the most about what Pussy Riot, which was more of a protest performance art. When she was talking about the conditions in Russia, and the war in Ukraine, it was very compelling, but then she would yell "when I say Pussy, you say Riot!" and would SCREAM "PUSSSSSSSYYYYYY!!!" while her backup dancers where gyrating behind her in bondage gear and full-face red balaclavas.

And...I'm definitely too old to get the whole "watch a DJ push buttons on his computer" genre.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In news that might only interest a few of us, they’ve now announced the full lineup for this year’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. It’s a free festival over three days (Sept 29-Oct 1), but they haven’t released the schedule yet so don’t know who plays when. But, the artist list looks good - includes Jason Isbell & the 400 unit, Lucero, Emmylou Harris, Kurt Vile, Steve Earle, Lilly Hiatt, many others…
link
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:25 am In news that might only interest a few of us, they’ve now announced the full lineup for this year’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. It’s a free festival over three days (Sept 29-Oct 1), but they haven’t released the schedule yet so don’t know who plays when. But, the artist list looks good - includes Jason Isbell & the 400 unit, Lucero, Emmylou Harris, Kurt Vile, Steve Earle, Lilly Hiatt, many others…
link
That seems like an incredible lineup. I see Christone Kingfish Ingram is there. I think a post here got me down a rabbit hole of his stuff on Youtube, he is incredible!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We ended up with backstage passes to Flogging Molly who the Vandoliers opened up for last night. Got to watch their entire set from the side of the stage and it was probably my coolest live music moment ever.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:39 am We ended up with backstage passes to Flogging Molly who the Vandoliers opened up for last night. Got to watch their entire set from the side of the stage and it was probably my coolest live music moment ever.
Pics were great, looked like an amazing time.