Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by L-Jam3 »

We put our little guy up for a handsome cat contest. Feel free to vote after 4 pm EST tomorrow (4/5):

https://kingpet.com/6491174933076455/
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Prozac has worked exceptionally well over the first two weeks or whatever its been. Still all the puppy energy but it can now be focused into stuff like "not trying to play-bite my wife if I leave the room for 3 minutes" and "not barking incessantly the second he wakes up or wants attention" and other much more fun things.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

last night about 12:40ish, dog one got into the bed with us and she never does that. dog two's crate is in our bedroom (otherwise he throws shit fits at 5:30 to get up every morning) and he starts making noises like he's barfing his crate

I take him out to pee and poop and his stomach is making these ridiculously loud plumbing noises and he's so confused. he keeps looking back at his midsection and wondering what the hell is happening. we come back in and the crate is empty, no barf. so I went into the living room with him as it's by the back door in case he had to go out again soon. he cuddles up with me on the couch and his stomach is still going crazy.

after about a half hour I started googling and wondered if something was seriously wrong like an obstruction, etc. yesterday afternoon we had gone for a walk about 4ish and came home to discover my neighbors' dogs out of their yard. we got one back in and the other took off. after a 90-minute search for him we were able to corral him thankfully as he traversed our little suburb.

right after we found him I had to get our dogs and get to my parents' for our mini easter dinner over there and LA had to leave for a wedding appt. I get inside after the search, get our dogs and head to the parents.

welp, we apparently never fed them last night as I was out looking for the dog and LA was on watch back at our place while also trying to study. I figured she fed them, she figured I'd feed them and it just never happened. and apparently a dog can get an insanely loud stomach if he/she hasn't eaten in a long time according to the googles.

sure enough, as soon as I got food in his stomach his insides got quiet and we were back to normal. I had no idea that was a thing. but damn, was he loud.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Glad that’s all it was!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My 14-year-old dog's stomach can make some crazy loud noises. I've never found it to be closely correlated with anything.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've heard that some dogs, especially retrievers, can have stomach problems than can be very serious. Our vet suggested giving our retriever-mix doggo a biscuit before bed every night, and we've had no problems.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:50 am I've heard that some dogs, especially retrievers, can have stomach problems than can be very serious. Our vet suggested giving our retriever-mix doggo a biscuit before bed every night, and we've had no problems.
My old Westie would spew up bile many mornings.

Vet said that it was because her stomach was empty. Suggested a couple of milk bones before bed every night and the problem was solved.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

I have to warn you guys, this will stir up a tornado of dust.

I'm still crying.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GFD - but that was beautiful
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I made it two minutes at the office yesterday before I decided to finish the rest of it later.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great story. (And, - note follow-up tweet - Natalie really needs an editor!)

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So she kept a dead dog for several years???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

ZOMBIE DOG
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:47 pm Great story. (And, - note follow-up tweet - Natalie really needs an editor!)

And her follow up seemed kind of snooty to me, acting like people are morons for misunderstanding her horribly written sentence.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Come on guys. She just reads the news. She doesn't write it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So he’s gone. My memory is we got him right around Memorial Day 2005. It was definitely 2005. Been a long time since the house has been as empty as it’s going to be this weekend.

He gave us a chance to say goodbye. It was a slow decline the last two years but then a sudden downturn this past weekend, but at least we got that. We knew it was time.

Hug your dog or cat or lizard or bird or whatever tonight.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:09 pm So he’s gone. My memory is we got him right around Memorial Day 2005. It was definitely 2005. Been a long time since the house has been as empty as it’s going to be this weekend.

He gave us a chance to say goodbye. It was a slow decline the last two years but then a sudden downturn this past weekend, but at least we got that. We knew it was time.

Sorry to hear it. Gus was an awesome dog.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

rass wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:09 pm So he’s gone. My memory is we got him right around Memorial Day 2005. It was definitely 2005. Been a long time since the house has been as empty as it’s going to be this weekend.

Heartbreaking. Long live MC Gusto.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sorry Rass. Holding a thought.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

One of the founding pets of this place. Sorry bud.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

[*] hi I need to write this down somewhere and since this is what amounts to a safe space for me it’ll be here.

I can’t drive in a silent car. So on the way to the vet, despite my wife breaking down in the backseat and me driving with one hand so I could keep the other on the dog’s head, I skipped through my presets and hit Let It Be just as it started. I love The Beatles but that isn’t my favorite, but whoa it hit this afternoon.

We drove for a bit in silence on the way home, just the two of us, but at the first long stop light I turned the radio on and I fucking shit you not Dust in the Wind was playing. She asked me to change it. I settled on a channel playing Margaritaville. That’s actually a pretty melancholy song, huh?

A little later, after I dropped my wife off at home and had taken my daughter to a training session for her summer job, I hit a channel playing Tuesday’s Gone. Almost cried again.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:36 pm [*] hi I need to write this down somewhere and since this is what amounts to a safe space for me it’ll be here.

I can’t drive in a silent car. So on the way to the vet, despite my wife breaking down in the backseat and me driving with one hand so I could keep the other on the dog’s head, I skipped through my presets and hit Let It Be just as it started. I love The Beatles but that isn’t my favorite, but whoa it hit this afternoon.

We drove for a bit in silence on the way home, just the two of us, but at the first long stop light I turned the radio on and I fucking shit you not Dust in the Wind was playing. She asked me to change it. I settled on a channel playing Margaritaville. That’s actually a pretty melancholy song, huh?

A little later, after I dropped my wife off at home and had taken my daughter to a training session for her summer job, I hit a channel playing Tuesday’s Gone. Almost cried again.
Oh Rass, every time I would see this thread and your name was there, I would hold my breath. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. RIP to Gus, he was a good boy. And he had a hammer on him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Really sorry for you and your family, Rass. Tough day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, Rass. This part sucks.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry rass.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fuck.

Sorry Rass.

(and, yeah, Margaritaville is roughly equivalent to Born to Run as one of the most misunderstood songs out there in heavy rotation.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Sleep well sweet Gus.

He looked like a happy dog.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:08 pm(and, yeah, Margaritaville is roughly equivalent to Born to Run as one of the most misunderstood songs out there in heavy rotation.)
Ever sat down with “Pina Coladaburgh”?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Aw man. Really sorry to hear this. All dogs are good, but Gus was a real treasure.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fuck, man. I'm really sorry. Snuggling these two brother cats a little extra tonight.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks everyone.

Just emptied out his little bucket of poop bags for the last time. Dumb shit like that's gonna get me for a couple of days.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

gfd. I'm so sorry. I've never been sadder about a dog I never met.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn, sorry to hear that. But 17 years old is a hell of a run!

My oldest is 14 and we know it can come any time. She can’t walk easily. I’ve been carrying her up and down stairs for years now and she’s beaten back cancer (via chemo) twice and she keeps on going. Dogs are great.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we have graduated to the terrible twos phase of puppyhood as 8 months approaches. he had to go to the vet to be forced to puke on Tuesday after eating the entirety of both straps on a pair of L's flip flops and then yesterday chewed a buckle off his harness that he wears for walks and chewed a hole in one of her socks after going through the laundry

oh, and goose poop is his favorite delicacy

(I was going to embed this video but sadly the image code doesn't work for imgur videos)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Adorable dog.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

What a great looking pup!