Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Temporary Television

Post by howard »

They should give Carrie Coon all the Emmys. Loved the Leftovers finale episode.

Sepinwall also had a good interview with creator Damon Lindelof, he mentions there is a connection of season 3 with a great old movie. The Last Wave, an early Peter Weir film, starring Richard Chamberlain, and the actor who played Chris Sunday (Prime Minister of Australia in Kevin's last assassin segment) in The Leftovers. I love that movie, seen it at least a dozen times.

Fargo took a deeper turn this week, deep into Lebowski territory, w/ a reappearance of Ray Wise, who will always first and foremost be Leland Palmer. Wise has logged more time on Fargo than on the new Twin Peaks, at least so far. TV is so great; Golden Age.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Marc Summers talks Double Dare...throw back to my youth
http://www.businessinsider.com/marc-sum ... ime-2017-6
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:They should give Carrie Coon all the Emmys. Loved the Leftovers finale episode.

Sepinwall also had a good interview with creator Damon Lindelof, he mentions there is a connection of season 3 with a great old movie. The Last Wave, an early Peter Weir film, starring Richard Chamberlain, and the actor who played Chris Sunday (Prime Minister of Australia in Kevin's last assassin segment) in The Leftovers. I love that movie, seen it at least a dozen times.

Fargo took a deeper turn this week, deep into Lebowski territory, w/ a reappearance of Ray Wise, who will always first and foremost be Leland Palmer. Wise has logged more time on Fargo than on the new Twin Peaks, at least so far. TV is so great; Golden Age.
I thought the most interesting thing about that interview is they originally wanted to use "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin To Fuck With" for the trampoline scene but couldn't clear it because of the samples. In the end I think Protect Ya Neck worked better.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Gong Show is coming back? Man, they have really run out of ideas. They should prop up the corpse of Chuck Barris on the judging panel.

I guess this is to be expected given all the talent show they've put on the air.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

THe host is mike Myers in some weird character.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

For a couple of years "The Gong Show" was my favourite thing on television.

But seeing Mike Myers do three minutes as Tommy Maitland was about two and a half minutes too much. Will definitely watch the show, but has any star who didn't get arrested or die fallen as fast as Mike Myers?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote:For a couple of years "The Gong Show" was my favourite thing on television.

But seeing Mike Myers do three minutes as Tommy Maitland was about two and a half minutes too much. Will definitely watch the show, but has any star who didn't get arrested or die fallen as fast as Mike Myers?
I actually thought about that at one point recently - wondering why he just stopped. I am guessing he made a shit-ton of money on the Austin Powers things and simply didn't have the drive to keep being creative and what not.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

He also made a shit ton from the Shrek franchise. And all he had to do for those was talk.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Oh yeah, that. Forgot about that. Yeah, he must be supremely wealthy at this point...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I remember he was supposed to make a movie about his character Dieter from SNL, but something happened where the studio was interfering so much he said "fuck it". It must be good to have enough money to say no.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:I remember he was supposed to make a movie about his character Dieter from SNL, but something happened where the studio was interfering so much he said "fuck it". It must be good to have enough money to say no.
Also, "the Love Guru" was such a colossal bomb that it threw his career way off track.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

According to Wiki, he screenwrites and directs some stuff, and is in an upcoming thriller with Margot Robbie and Simon Pegg. He's non-annoying Jim Carrey.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

He has been doing some other stuff. There was a recent interview in WTF as he was promoting his directing effort for Super Mench.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:I remember he was supposed to make a movie about his character Dieter from SNL, but something happened where the studio was interfering so much he said "fuck it". It must be good to have enough money to say no.
Also, "the Love Guru" was such a colossal bomb that it threw his career way off track.
My wife and I went to a test screening of that. Filling out the paperwork to give my opinions on the movie was the last thing I wanted to do after sitting through that piece of trash, even though I occasionally enjoy trashing some television and movie offerings.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Amazon Prime's Le Mans: Racing is Everything is a little 6 part documentary. Very compelling and I am not a huge fan of this type of racing. Also Euro racing fashion is far superior to NASCAR fashion.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Last week, John Oliver went after the coal industry and one coal magnate in particular.

He predicted that one guy in particular - Robert Murray - would sue him. And he did!

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/joh ... te-w489175
The complaint also suggests that Oliver is pursuing a partisan assault against Murray, a Trump supporter: "The "defendants' broadcasts have vigorously supported and advanced Mrs. Clinton's agenda," the complaint reads. More substantively, Murray accuses Oliver of ignoring evidence that the Utah mine collapse was caused by an earthquake, though a government report concluded that the root of the tragedy was unauthorized mining practices.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I forgot that Designated Survivor has started back up a couple months ago. I watched a couple episodes and decided it's not worth it. The real life drama of politics makes the show unrealistic and quaint.

Also, Americans Gods is decent, but 2 episodes in and I have no idea what the purpose is. Thankfully there are only 8 episodes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:Also, Americans Gods is decent, but 2 episodes in and I have no idea what the purpose is. Thankfully there are only 8 episodes.
4th episode according to my sources (I'm on number two as well.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Also, Americans Gods is decent, but 2 episodes in and I have no idea what the purpose is. Thankfully there are only 8 episodes.
4th episode according to my sources (I'm on number two as well.)
Greaaaat.

In the meantime, I started Silicon Valley. Very, very funny. So glad it's in season 4.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This interview, man...I think I love T.J. Miller. He might be an insane genius.
And then the people that don’t are like stupid f—king websites like TV Over Mind or something, and they’re putting forth very reasonable, well written logic for why this is so dumb and the only thing I’ll ever be good at was this part in Silicon Valley.” Yet none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D, so they’re all talking and chit-chattering and squawk, squawk, squawk — but none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D. So they don’t know that I’ve already done the best thing that I’ll ever do. And because of that, there is no fear about any move in Hollywood for me. I’m just on the downslope. This is all a downward spiral, career-wise.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That was, no joke, the worst movie i have ever seen and I'm glad he appreciates that fact.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote:Yeah, Fargo has been on my hope-to-get-to-it list for awhile now, and the fact that Coon is in season 3 gives me additional incentive to start the series.

She's the best. I haven't had a crush on an actress like this since mid-90s Maura Tierney.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I was thinking of either starting Sons of Anarchy or The West Wing from the beginning of each. I never saw more than 60 seconds of either, and I'm leaning West Wing, but I fucking hated The Newsroom, so much so I stopped watching it in the middle of an episode. Is it more of the same irritating Sorkin-ness?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, if you don't like the Sorkin-ness, it's probably not for you. SoA is mad fun.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote:I was thinking of either starting Sons of Anarchy or The West Wing from the beginning of each. I never saw more than 60 seconds of either, and I'm leaning West Wing, but I fucking hated The Newsroom, so much so I stopped watching it in the middle of an episode. Is it more of the same irritating Sorkin-ness?
If you start the West Wing you can play along with a recently released podcast that is pretty good. The West Wing Weekly, goes episode by episode.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Veep just ended another great season. Maybe not its best one, but that's a really high bar.

And the set up for the next season promises absurdity at an epic level.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:Yeah, if you don't like the Sorkin-ness, it's probably not for you. SoA is mad fun.

FWIW, seconded. West Wing is peak Sorkin. Gets annoying as fuck (imo.)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Newsroom is way way way way way "worse".

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:Newsroom is way way way way way "worse".
And Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip or whatever the hell it was called was worse yet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ha!

Yeah, so, my bad. It was peak Sorkin for me, because I was all Sorkin'd out after WW.

Full disclosure, I was a big fan of Sports Night.

I'm an SNL, Second City nerd, so I tried with Studio 60 but I hated it. I didn't even try with Newsroom, which again... Should be wheelhouse material. I could just tell from the trailers/teasers.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I mean, the Sorkinometer aside, West Wing won like 100 Emmys and those other shows were not good. It's a great show and if you happen to be idealistic in your political view, it will hit home bigly. Watch Seasons 1-4 in full, then come back here and ask for the right episodes to watch from 5-7. The watch season 2 again. Every month.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To keep the conversation on point, SoA is another show that declined badly in the last couple of seasons. Doesn't mean it's not worth watching, but it really got lazy and dumb at the end.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote:I mean, the Sorkinometer aside, West Wing won like 100 Emmys and those other shows were not good. It's a great show and if you happen to be idealistic in your political view, it will hit home bigly. Watch Seasons 1-4 in full, then come back here and ask for the right episodes to watch from 5-7. The watch season 2 again. Every month.
Don't you lump Sports Night in with non-WW Sorkin shows that were not good. Sports Night is perfect, and they also have their own recap podcast. Plus, I think it's only 44 episodes in total, so it's easier to complete.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Sorry yes, Sports Night is great. Bill Macy's episodes alone are enough to merit the rewatch every other year or so.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Has anyone watched Handmaid's Tale yet? If not, could you do so please?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:To keep the conversation on point, SoA is another show that declined badly in the last couple of seasons. Doesn't mean it's not worth watching, but it really got lazy and dumb at the end.
The scene in the finale was LOL funny and I'm thinking that's not what they were going for.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Jerloma wrote:Has anyone watched Handmaid's Tale yet? If not, could you do so please?
I feel for you, J-Lo. I was the same way about Riverdale.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:Has anyone watched Handmaid's Tale yet? If not, could you do so please?

I just can't justify yet another service on top of Netflix and Amazon Prime and the obscene amt of money I pay for cable.

But, shit, the existence of that show has made me almost pull the trigger a number of times.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote:Newsroom is way way way way way "worse".
By the middle of the second episode I was into full-fledged angry mode. Like being trapped with a room full of pretentious know it alls who never shut up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
brian wrote:To keep the conversation on point, SoA is another show that declined badly in the last couple of seasons. Doesn't mean it's not worth watching, but it really got lazy and dumb at the end.
The scene in the finale was LOL funny and I'm thinking that's not what they were going for.
Yeah, there were almost a dozen of those types of scenes for us the last season or so. I know they weren't trying to make a show that didn't at all involve suspension of disbelief or anything, but I must of have said something to the effect of "come the fuck on" at least once or twice per episode that final season. They really took a kind of brilliant idea (Hamlet set in a California motorcycle gang) and ran it into the ground and then so far into the ground it came back out again at which point they ran it into the ground some more.