AFC Championship - Pats/Colts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: AFC Championship - Pats/Colts

Post by brian »

As much as I hate to admit, Petey King had a good point -- unless the NFL thinks they have some kind of smoking gun, nothing probably happens until after the Super Bowl.

But all bets are off after that. I really, honestly don't think they can trace it to Brady or Belichick from a legal perspective, from a provable evidence standpoint, even if you'd have to be a fool to think it was a rogue ballboy or whatever the Patriots are going to try and spin this as, but if they DO trace it to Belichick somehow, I don't see any way he isn't suspended for some period of time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Holy fuck, who cares what the analogy is? Even when you find the right one, you then have to move on to the other 58 layers that make this thing what it is.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Two pieces worth reading:

Arrogance demands consequences by Jackie MacMullen

The Ballghazi Takes Are Here, And They Are Fucking Insane by Drew Magary

My only issue with either: suspending Belichick for the Super Bowl. Seriously, hubris deserves a reality check, but suspending a coach for the Super Bowl over deflated balls is the epitome of overreaction. The majority of the sports watching world is either relishing in the schadenfraude of watching a Patriots scandal, shrugging their shoulders because these are under inflated footballs, or being righteous indignants with their idealist wet dreams.

If Belichick is suspended, Brady is suspended. And if that happens, you have to take a serious, serious look at the entire operation of the NFL.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:Was just going to make the seams analogy.

Listening to Francesa (in car, not intentionally), he seems to think a suspension is a real possibility.

I'll also say one more thing. I don't know how many of you coaches a sport where an inflated ball is part of the game. I coach soccer, and I've spent a pretty decent amount of time fully inflating balls for practice and games. When we provide game balls, the difference between fully inflated and a ball minus 2 lbs is playable versus unplayable.

I know, I know, different sports. But I can tell you, I immediately know a ball is under-inflated. So, two things:

1.a) I'm really REALLY dubious about the idea that the refs would only know the difference if they were looking fpr it. I can tell you, even most shitty soccer refs almost immediately notice a soft ball. If 11 of 12 balls were soft, while 12 of 12 were legal on the Colts side. No one noticed?

1.b) Now we know the league was aware of the issue pregame. I'll just leave it there. (ETA to leave no question about what I'm saying - Please see point 1.a... shouldn't they, you know, have been looking out for this very issue? Which begs the question, did the Colts forget to remind the officials to be on the lookout for this?)

2) People want to make a claim that the under inflated balls had no affect on the game. How do they know that? This is like saying one race car and its driver are clearly better than everyone else... so it's OK that they altered the engine outside of the scope of the rules.

I just hate that kind of argument. It was a shitty, wet day. One team played with softer balls making it easier to grip the ball. Saying that doesn't give one team a distinct advantage is just fucking absurd to me.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:Holy fuck, who cares what the analogy is? Even when you find the right one, you then have to move on to the other 58 layers that make this thing what it is.
We have a week and a half to go.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:
Ryan wrote:Holy fuck, who cares what the analogy is? Even when you find the right one, you then have to move on to the other 58 layers that make this thing what it is.
We have a week and a half to go.
Ugh, I'll be over in the politics thread.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

OK, I'm back

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What took you so long?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: I'll also say one more thing. I don't know how many of you coaches a sport where an inflated ball is part of the game. I coach soccer, and I've spent a pretty decent amount of time fully inflating balls for practice and games. When we provide game balls, the difference between fully inflated and a ball minus 2 lbs is playable versus unplayable.
Yes, but if there's one sport where you could get away with deflated balls, it's football. You don't bounce it or kick it (the balls used for offense, at least) and only a handful of people even touch it. And since it's pointy on the ends you can only really even squeeze it from one orientation.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Some of the stories I've seen today have said the difference of 2 psi (in a football) is almost imperceptible unless you're throwing or catching the ball, which the officials almost never do obviously.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Or the Jets

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ha!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Nation Can’t Wait To Hear Patriots Fans’ Excuses This Time Image
WASHINGTON—After an NFL investigation revealed that 11 of New England’s 12 game balls were under-inflated during last weekend’s AFC Championship Game, Americans across the nation announced Wednesday that they would love—absolutely love—to hear the excuses from Patriots fans this time. “No, no, by all means, go ahead,” said every single person living outside of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut before reportedly smiling and adding, “I’m all ears.” “Wait, let me guess: The deflated footballs were also easier to catch for the Colts defense, so the Patriots didn’t have a real advantage, right? Or is it that the score was so lopsided that it didn’t matter in the end? No, seriously, I’m sure you guys have something really great cooked up for this one.” The American populace went on to say that they also absolutely cannot wait to hear how this new scandal will have no effect on the legacy of Tom Brady.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The real question is why that 12th ball wasn't underinflated. Is Bellichik losing his fastball?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Las Vegas has odds that Belichick will be suspended for the Super Bowl.

+750 (15/2) Yes.
-1500 (1/15) No.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Might have to put $1500 on no
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What would you do with that cool $100?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Well that presser was really awkward. Belichick said he doesn't know anything about it and doesn't have an explanation (which I think could be true) and then they asked him like 30 straight questions about it and every time he said he doesn't know anything about it and doesn't have an explanation.

So, I guess the takeaway is that he has no intention of taking the fall.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Assuming their only concern is the Super Bowl, that makes sense. There's a 1% chance Belichick would get suspended. 0% chance on Brady.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

that's #chuckweak!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

#harbitter
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm disappointed that the Pats and Ravens hate each other so much. Both being contemptible organizations, you'd think they'd have a mutual respect.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma wrote:Well that presser was really awkward. Belichick said he doesn't know anything about it and doesn't have an explanation (which I think could be true) and then they asked him like 30 straight questions about it and every time he said he doesn't know anything about it and doesn't have an explanation.

So, I guess the takeaway is that he has no intention of taking the fall.
Marshawn Lynch was just fined an additional $20K for Belichick's non answers...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This Tom Brady press conference is going to be something. I haven't seen the body language of Belichick, but I tend to believe what I read and he deferred to Brady on the issue.

This just sucks.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I did it. I'm a cheater. I cheated on Bridget Moynihan and I cheat at football. And this isn't my real hair."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote:Image
But enough about Sunday's result. What about this #ballghazi thing?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So Belichick threw Brady under the bus, huh? Honestly didn't see that coming. This ought to be good.

<grabs popcorn>
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Image
But enough about Sunday's result. What about this #ballghazi thing?
Right???

(quietly sobs in the corner)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I think it's perfect and smart and they're paying a fine and Brady gets to have fun with it.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:I think it's perfect and smart and they're paying a fine and Brady gets to have fun with it.
So you don't think Brady gets suspended? (Not for the Super Bowl -- like I said, that isn't happening no matter what).

I could see the NFL suspending him for 4 games next season. Granted, not the end of the world, but that's a lot of money out of his pocket and sanctimonious media folks would have his ass for the rest of his life. Not sure it's worth it for him either to take the fall.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(You know Lane Kiffin is sitting in his house in Alabama right now yelling at the TV "Just blame it on the ballboys, idiots!".)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No chance, even next year, that Brady gets suspended. This is the perfect play to delay penalties until after the Super Bowl because Belichick shrugging is enough to confuse an indecisive dummy like Goodell despite the fact that the Saints precedent makes head coach punishment near-mandatory.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would a cheating suspension/suspicion preclude Brady from making the HoF or is that just a baseball thing?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:No chance, even next year, that Brady gets suspended. This is the perfect play to delay penalties until after the Super Bowl because Belichick shrugging is enough to confuse an indecisive dummy like Goodell despite the fact that the Saints precedent makes head coach punishment near-mandatory.
You're right. I'm agreeing with you, but I'm saying if this is some Belichick super-genius ploy like Ryan is suggesting where Brady willingly takes the fall after the Super Bowl or whatever how does Brady not get suspended next season? The team's going to get fined regardless and they might even lose draft picks (though maybe not firsts) if they frame this as Brady's plot, but a player admitting that he ordered or paid team personnel to doctor the balls isn't going to get off with a slap on the wrist.

(To your second question, I thought about that and I don't think it matters. Oh you'll have sanctimonious jerks like PK who will get on their high horse, but I don't think it affects his HoF status at all. But that's part of my original point -- that shit MATTERS to Brady, maybe more than other QBs. He married a fucking supermodel, for Christ's sake. I think he legitimately cares what his perception is more than most QBs, which is saying something.)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I don't think Brady taking the fall is remotely possible, either.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:Would a cheating suspension/suspicion preclude Brady from making the HoF or is that just a baseball thing?
No. Unless it turned out he's been doing this his entire career but even if that were true (I don't think so), it's not coming out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:I don't think Brady taking the fall is remotely possible, either.
So Belichick blames Brady and Brady blames Belichick? That might work, but I don't think it's going to matter much to Sheriff Goodell. (And I don't see how that's good for their future working relationship unless it's contrived by them, though that's entirely possible.)

I imagine they really probably are just going to blame it on a rogue ballboy (probably the smart move), but that's still going to result in some punishment.