The Weather

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by sancarlos »

Reached 108 in my little burg today. Hottest day in the 24 years I’ve lived here. Power’s been out for a couple hours, and counting. Drinking a mint julep to stay cool.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yikes. Is the power back?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:35 am Yikes. Is the power back?
It was out for 3 or 4 hours. Back to normal, now.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So...nothing to worry about here...right?

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh shit.

Just read some of the wiki article on Ranier.

OH SHIT.

(I can remember being absolutely fascinated by the photos in the Mount St Helens issue of National Geographic when I was a kid)
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

You're safe...

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They've assigned it a special master, everyone chill.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

First smoke day of the season, thanks to a fire up by Stevens Pass. AQI is currently about 165, and it smells really smoky and the sky is orange. Yuck...

ETA: Visual evidence...

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Trying to stave off seasonal depression by getting out in the fall color.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Nice photos, steve. Especially the bottom right one. You get my first twitter likes in a half-dozen years.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:52 pm Nice photos, steve. Especially the bottom right one. You get my first twitter likes in a half-dozen years.
Thanks. Not coincidentally, that bottom right one was my wife’s photo.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was in Colorado Springs last week seeing my parents. I got off the plane yesterday to full on SMOKE, and 85 degrees.

It should not be 85 degrees in Seattle in the middle of October.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:24 pm I was in Colorado Springs last week seeing my parents. I got off the plane yesterday to full on SMOKE, and 85 degrees.

It should not be 85 degrees in Seattle in the middle of October.
I was thinking today how much climate change will make playoff baseball even that more exciting!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We're #1!

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Congratulations!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos may have just felt the earth shake.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:07 pm sancarlos may have just felt the earth shake.
I hope it was good for you, too.

And that SC is ok!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

it's been in the 60s for the past few days with good golf weather continuing for almost 2 more weeks.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

it was 80 here last Thursday, 5 freaking days ago. Got out early, wore short sleeves and shorts while i took the dog to the park.

now this shit

i'm right around the top of that first "f" in Buffalo.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

yikes?
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

at least the dog is gonna have a blast in a few days!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:34 am it was 80 here last Thursday, 5 freaking days ago. Got out early, wore short sleeves and shorts while i took the dog to the park.

now this shit

i'm right around the top of that first "f" in Buffalo.
Nothing says lake effect snow quite like 31” of snow accumulating in a lakeside city, and 3” accumulating 70 miles to the east. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Looks like hot coffee melts approximately 25% of snow before it can accumulate!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

HA exactly

it usually hits the "southtowns" (e.g. where the Bills' stadium is) but looks like a straight shot into the city as of now at least - i recall many a time growing up where it'd be snowing like mad during a game there and like a mile NE of the city proper there'd be an inch.

(it's actually pretty cool)
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:50 am
Nothing says lake effect snow quite like 31” of snow accumulating in a lakeside city, and 3” accumulating 70 miles to the east. :lol:
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:35 pm HA exactly

it usually hits the "southtowns" (e.g. where the Bills' stadium is) but looks like a straight shot into the city as of now at least - i recall many a time growing up where it'd be snowing like mad during a game there and like a mile NE of the city proper there'd be an inch.

When I was at UB we were hit with 36 inches in one day. I was watching the local news and they showed a map of the Greater Buffalo area, and it was a pencil line of heavy snow, with a couple inches outside the thin line. Drove off campus the next day, there was 3 inches about a mile away, and a dusting a couple miles further. Can't count the number of times my mother called and asked how bad the blizzard was and not getting flake. When they say a blizzard is hitting Buffalo, it is usually 20 miles South.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:50 pm

When I was at UB we were hit with 36 inches in one day. I was watching the local news and they showed a map of the Greater Buffalo area, and it was a pencil line of heavy snow, with a couple inches outside the thin line. Drove off campus the next day, there was 3 inches about a mile away, and a dusting a couple miles further. Can't count the number of times my mother called and asked how bad the blizzard was and not getting flake. When they say a blizzard is hitting Buffalo, it is usually 20 miles South.
When this huge lake effect happens, does the snow tend to stick around forever, or does it melt off? Around here lake effect snow is usually followed by warmer weather right away so that when one area gets dumped on, it doesn't last.

Though with the Great Salt Lake shrinking away to nothing, I guess lake effect will stop being a thing.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

preach!
my best friend in HS lives in Hamburg near the stadium - i want to say just 2 years ago he had 4! feet of snow in his *street* and we had like 4" - maybe (Syb - i'm right by the Grover Cleveland GC, near the UB main campus).

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

hm. never really figured one way or another? I mean - when i was little the famous Blizzard of '77 was sort of a last-gasp lake effect (idea being that once the lake freezes you don't worry about it anymore) in January and the snow stayed for 3 years <rimshot>. no but we did miss like 3 weeks of school (AWESOME as a 2nd grader, i'd freak TF out if that happened now) and people died.

having said that, i think rain is in the forecast for next week so :shrug:

but yeah - my guess is that it doesn't matter but i honestly don't know, that's a good question
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:25 pm

When this huge lake effect happens, does the snow tend to stick around forever, or does it melt off? Around here lake effect snow is usually followed by warmer weather right away so that when one area gets dumped on, it doesn't last.

Though with the Great Salt Lake shrinking away to nothing, I guess lake effect will stop being a thing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This discussion reminded me, and I had to go look it up: The worst storm I ever experienced with the Great White Blizzard of '78 in Michigan. I was only 8, but I distinctly remember feeling like things had become a bit unhinged, even for a state like that that was used to snow dumps. People definitely died, and there snow drifts that blocked houses/building entrances. School didn't close very often up there, but I seem to remember being off for at least a week for that one.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:50 pm This discussion reminded me, and I had to go look it up: The worst storm I ever experienced with the Great White Blizzard of '78 in Michigan. I was only 8, but I distinctly remember feeling like things had become a bit unhinged, even for a state like that that was used to snow dumps. People definitely died, and there snow drifts that blocked houses/building entrances. School didn't close very often up there, but I seem to remember being off for at least a week for that one.
We had one of those too. I have a pic of me walking through a snow tunnel.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:20 pm preach!
my best friend in HS lives in Hamburg near the stadium - i want to say just 2 years ago he had 4! feet of snow in his *street* and we had like 4" - maybe (Syb - i'm right by the Grover Cleveland GC, near the UB main campus).

By main campus, do you mean South Campus? I would consider the North Camus (Amherst) as the main campus. The summer I stayed in Buffalo I played Grover Cleveland a lot. Senior year I lived in a house on Winspear off of Main St. Man, I miss those days...
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I got hail right now. That's fun.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

haha yes definitely South Campus (idk why i always misname it) - holy shit Winspear is a block away from me :D - GCGC was the first (only) place i shot under 100. i'm 100% sure i cheated.

...at the risk of diverting this thread anymore, the forecast is still calling for "historic" storm that could get 4 feet in some places. not sure why i'm freaking out about it but i kind of am? finished clearing out my modest backyard yesterday, got gas in the snowblower, i'm logistically ready at least....

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:42 pm

By main campus, do you mean South Campus? I would consider the North Camus (Amherst) as the main campus. The summer I stayed in Buffalo I played Grover Cleveland a lot. Senior year I lived in a house on Winspear off of Main St. Man, I miss those days...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:35 am haha yes definitely South Campus (idk why i always misname it) - holy shit Winspear is a block away from me :D - GCGC was the first (only) place i shot under 100. i'm 100% sure i cheated.

...at the risk of diverting this thread anymore, the forecast is still calling for "historic" storm that could get 4 feet in some places. not sure why i'm freaking out about it but i kind of am? finished clearing out my modest backyard yesterday, got gas in the snowblower, i'm logistically ready at least....

In an effort to derail this thread again... Some people call South Campus the Main Street campus, so there ya go. I just remembered that. My all-time low golf score was at GC. It's also by far the easiest course I've ever played. I think I shot a 92, including holing out in 2 on a par 5. Hit a wood off the fairway from around 250 yards, rolled onto the green while people were putting and they were jumping up and down screaming. I thought they were mad until we walked up to the green and the woman was shrieking that it went in.

Good luck with the storm.
-Pruitt
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:00 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:35 am haha yes definitely South Campus (idk why i always misname it) - holy shit Winspear is a block away from me :D - GCGC was the first (only) place i shot under 100. i'm 100% sure i cheated.

In an effort to derail this thread again... Some people call South Campus the Main Street campus, so there ya go. I just remembered that. My all-time low golf score was at GC. It's also by far the easiest course I've ever played. I think I shot a 92, including holing out in 2 on a par 5. Hit a wood off the fairway from around 250 yards, rolled onto the green while people were putting and they were jumping up and down screaming. I thought they were mad until we walked up to the green and the woman was shrieking that it went in.

Good luck with the storm.
Kindly fuck off.

My terribly golfing brother in law made a hole in one the 4th or 5th time he ever played and I swear hasn't been inside 20 feet since.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

How are the Buffalo swampers doing tonight? :?:
Noli Timere Messorem
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

so Buffalo is in Erie County which is pretty decently sized (bigger than RI which was mentioned on Weather Channel today; honestly i don't even know if that's big or what for a county :P ). I live one block from the city line, NE corner. Buffalo isn't that big.

I mention these because we got 6" in less than 2 hours last night and i thought oh shit this is nuts.... and we've had zero precipitation since. In fact right now i see stars overhead out back. My buddy in Hamburg has over 50" in his front yard. 50. And even some co-workers in South Buffalo which is really just a few miles maybe - snowed hard for like 5 hours straight today.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=2 ... S41-PNSBUF

Objectively it's absolutely fascinating. I'm sure it's downright terrifying for a lot of people (2 people have died already, ugh). That link is to the NWS, different places in Erie County.

Storm is supposed to move up to us overnight so I'll have a different report tomorrow I'm sure.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, it takes 40 minutes no traffic to drive across the whole state of RI North to South. Even less East to West.

Incidentally why I'm such a bitch when I have to drive somewhere longer than like 20 minutes.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:46 pm so Buffalo is in Erie County which is pretty decently sized (bigger than RI which was mentioned on Weather Channel today; honestly i don't even know if that's big or what for a county :P ). I live one block from the city line, NE corner. Buffalo isn't that big.

I mention these because we got 6" in less than 2 hours last night and i thought oh shit this is nuts.... and we've had zero precipitation since. In fact right now i see stars overhead out back. My buddy in Hamburg has over 50" in his front yard. 50. And even some co-workers in South Buffalo which is really just a few miles maybe - snowed hard for like 5 hours straight today.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=2 ... S41-PNSBUF

Objectively it's absolutely fascinating. I'm sure it's downright terrifying for a lot of people (2 people have died already, ugh). That link is to the NWS, different places in Erie County.

Storm is supposed to move up to us overnight so I'll have a different report tomorrow I'm sure.
Never put 6" and nuts in the same sentence, just tempting Mr. D.

Good news (for you) missing the brunt of the storm so far, hopefully you don't get too much tonight. I can't imagine get hit with 66" in one storm. How do you keep up with the shoveling? Even with a snowblower, where do you put it all? I don't think that snow is melting any time sooner.
-Pruitt