2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Any argument that Hillary is basically a Republican, or that there is no difference between electing Hillary and electing a Republican, is a specious one.
No. Not gonna let that slide. Just, no; it is not a specious argument.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are we talking historical republican president or the potential of Trump/Cruz?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The general policies of the last four presidents; 2 nominal democrats, 2 nominal gop. Or, compared to dubya. Lots of war, lots of money for wall street, banks and huge corporations. Blah blah blah, you can reasonably disagree, but hardly a specious argument.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just ducking in to note that I think the trump thing may finally be going off the rails. Just a sense that fatigue is setting in even for his base.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

tennbengal wrote:Just ducking in to note that I think the trump thing may finally be going off the rails. Just a sense that fatigue is setting in even for his base.
He's finally getting the fanduel/draftkings treatment...
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Brontoburglar wrote:Perhaps I'm lucky(?) in that I know what a Bernie bro is supposed to be but I've never seen one/know one, or perhaps Brian is fighting the good fight against a strawman that may or may not actually exist.
You must not follow joey clams on twitter.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote:Just ducking in to note that I think the trump thing may finally be going off the rails. Just a sense that fatigue is setting in even for his base.
But is it too late? Will he just coast now towards the nomination? Or will the Wet Sack of Mashed Potatoes pick up enough delegates to stop him?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
But is it too late? Will he just coast now towards the nomination? Or will the Wet Sack of Mashed Potatoes pick up enough delegates to stop him?
I don't think Cruz can win a plurality of delegates before the election. So that's when things get interesting. If Trump is say 100 delegates shy of the number required for nomination but has 300 or so more than Cruz that's when things can potentially get messy in Cleveland.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So if I comment on her tone am I a sexist? Because, holy hypocrisy this bitch's tone is just unprofessional.

And not for nothing, but...

Fossil Fuel Investors Are Pumping Millions of Dollars Into Hillary Clinton's Campaign

But clearly Bernie Bros are the problem here.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You're not voting anyway so it doesn't matter.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I really don't care that Sanders isn't interested in raising money for other Democratic candidates. Hell, I may not like all of them.

I trust that the Hillary money is going to help lower candidates just as much as I trust that the money going to Susan B Komen is going to fight breast cancer.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:The general policies of the last four presidents; 2 nominal democrats, 2 nominal gop. Or, compared to dubya. Lots of war, lots of money for wall street, banks and huge corporations. Blah blah blah, you can reasonably disagree, but hardly a specious argument.
Yes, there are issues where there are no major differences between Hillary Clinton and a likely Republican president (my post was speaking about a Republican president who Hillary would be running against).

But there are many issues where there are differences.

Labor rights. Abortion rights. Civil rights for people of color. Civil rights for women. Civil rights for gays. Civil rights for non-Christians. Climate change. Torture. Environmental protection. Renewable energy. Consumer protections. Worker safety. Food safety. Health care. Unemployment insurance. Protections for victims of corporate negligence. The rights of criminal defendants. Social Security. Welfare. Fiscal responsibility. Taxation. Arbitration. Class actions. Access to contraception. Worker retraining assistance. Disability rights. Immigration. Voting rights.

A basic interest in governing competently. "Heckuva job, Brownie."

Remember how much we all hate Citizens United? All of the justices who made up the majority were appointed by one party. All justices appointed by the other party dissented.

So while I do understand where you are coming from, I have to stand by my position that it is not reasonable to claim that there are no differences between Hillary Clinton and whoever the Republicans will nominate.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gunpowder wrote:I trust that the Hillary money is going to help lower candidates just as much as I trust that the money going to Susan B Komen is going to fight breast cancer.
This isn't about trust. Much of the fundraising that Hillary is doing is for the Democratic National Committee and state Democratic parties. As I understand it, Bernie Sanders, while seeking the nomination of the Democratic Party, is not doing any fundraising for the Democratic Party.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

It is reasonable.

I really don't want to rehash, but let me narrow my point. My argument may be wrong. But it is neither specious nor based on something other than reason.

If you are talking about the two most likely nominees, Trump and Cruz, well fucking of course there are significant differences. I'm talking about 1) the way the last republican president actually governed, and the continuum of many many policies during the seven years of Obama; 2)specifically the foreign policy actions of Hillary as SecState.

Because her rhetoric is completely irrelevant. I'm talking about her actual record, as senator, as secsate.

Finally, I submit the current democrat has given us slightly better supreme court justices, and that Hillary can be expected to do the same. Stipulated. My argument suggests there is much much more to being president that supreme court nominees.

But it is not the substance of my argument vs yours. It is the dismissal of my argument as unreasonable and/or specious. Not true, and that is why I rise to object. I would never similarly dismiss your point of view.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Diplo for VP confirmed.

Brian has an aneurysm once confirmed.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So the new media narrative is that even Trump's supporters may have had enough of him.

Which makes him a lock for the nomination.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So, Bernie actually won Nevada, btw.

I have no idea how this works anymore.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

He looks like Roger Ebert.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Prediction: If Trump loses the election (or even the nomination), no matter how bad he gets his ass kicked, he's going to make it rain with lawsuits over anything and everything that might have the slightest bit of traction. No way his ego can bear losing a "fair" fight, and he'll drop millions so he can chalk up his loss to being a victim of cheating.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo wrote:He looks like Roger Ebert.
Dead?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is a good photo:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I want the no-tan pic with his real hair too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

when did "being a libertarian" start getting conflated with "being a moderate?"

so many people who wrongly champion libertarianism are self-professed moderates and that makes no sense whatsoever because combining two extremes doesn't suddenly equal a meeting in the middle
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:when did "being a libertarian" start getting conflated with "being a moderate?"

so many people who wrongly champion libertarianism are self-professed moderates and that makes no sense whatsoever because combining two extremes doesn't suddenly equal a meeting in the middle
Libertarianism doesn't necessarily have to include any extremes. If you favor limited government intervention and are generally liberal on issues of personal liberty, you could be said to be both moderate and of a libertarian bent. But, to your point, it's a big tent, and some self-professed libertarians like that Bundy nut are certainly not moderate.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I don't know which is worse, self-professed libertarians who have no clue what the word means, or legacy party faithfuls who paint us all as Atlas Shrugged carrying anarchists who want to burn down the government and privatize everything.

Anyway, I am pumped for the big contest tonight in Wisconsin. Johnny Cueto's first start in orange/black, vs the Brewers.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Blast from the past
Read for yourself: http://www.goreading.net/Fear_and_Loath ... ne/63.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote:when did "being a libertarian" start getting conflated with "being a moderate?"
I always thought that Libertarian meant you were either a conservative who didn't want to get labelled as "Republican" or a conservative who wanted to smoke pot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
I always thought that Libertarian meant you were either a conservative who didn't want to get labelled as "Republican" or a conservative who wanted to smoke pot.
My college roommate said it was a republican who didn't hate minorities or gays and didn't go to church. But the definition of republican was different back then.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
My college roommate said it was a republican who didn't hate minorities or gays and didn't go to church. But the definition of republican was different back then.
For most people, it seems libertarian means you want to have a "principle" to rely on when arguing that the government should not do anything to help minorities or poor people, limit pollution, or reign in excess corporate power.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Every libertarian I know is the exact same person with a variable of (a) economically comfortable because of their families or (b) 1st generation economically comfortable espousing policies that, applied 25 years ago, would preclude their current comfort.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sigh. Six more months of Cruz's mug on the tv. Awesome. And maybe four years after that. Fuck the Republicans for this shit show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I didn't pay attention to the Wisconsin primaries, but I saw a map that looked like Sanders won all but one county, yet won only 47 delegates to Hilary's 36. Were the delegates split by statewide popular vote? Split by percentage in each county? There were a very small number of Super Delegates, who all pledged to Hilary.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:I didn't pay attention to the Wisconsin primaries, but I saw a map that looked like Sanders won all but one county, yet won only 47 delegates to Hilary's 36. Were the delegates split by statewide popular vote? Split by percentage in each county? There were a very small number of Super Delegates, who all pledged to Hilary.

I think they were split by Congressional district, 6 per district. So the only way to get 4 in a district is to get 60 percent or so.

In the Republican primaries, winners get rewarded. In the Democratic primaries, everyone gets a participation medal.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think Howard and I both perceive ourselves to be a certain kind of libertarian. You guys are being mean to us and I might cry just a little bit.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yep. sniff.

eta: fuck those guys, sancarlos. Here's an old picture for your collection:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

As someone who went through a libertarian phase (and still am a little bit), I'd broadly categorize people who identify as "libertarian" into the following categories:

1) Awful, sociopathic Ayn Rand-ian true believers. If they get "lucky" they end up as Martin Shkreli, but more likely just shout their opinions into a headset during downtimes between World of Warcraft raids.

2) Garden-variety reactionaries who call themselves "libertarian" without understanding what it means. Usually they hear the term from their talk-radio blowhard of choice and repeat it to feel smart. These are the people who say they are against "big government" and for "liberty" but want to triple the size of the military and make it illegal to be gay.

3) Well-meaning but intensely naive people who think things would "just work out" across the board if we reverted to pre-industrial, Adam Smith-era forms of government.

4) People who like to identify as libertarians because it makes them feel like they are an "independent thinker" and "above the fray" of regular partisan politics, but would probably back away from pure libertarian views if you forced them into an honest assessment of real issues.

I'd say I used to be somewhere between 3 and 4.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

It's starting to get fun here.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My libertarian friends (like Jarvis who has been radio silent ever since he retrained into being a paralegal) are basically Republican fanboys with an edge to them where they are never wrong and everything they say is completely right 100% of the time.

I'm more open to two way communication and compromising to an agreeable solution. I also think religion is evil, guns are cool, and drugs aren't bad. I don't care about who you are attracted to and what bathroom you want to use. But I'm not so socially retarded to think that any "movement" (feminism, black lives matter...etc) can't go over the edge in its own right.

I have no idea what I can be labeled politically. Centrist? Moderate? Green Party?