Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Jerloma »

I'm basically a strict bow tie guy now but since I became a bow tie guy, tonight is the first time I've had to go to a wake. Where do we stand on bow ties at a wake?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just make sure you leave the sonic screwdriver at home, ya big dork.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:I'm basically a strict bow tie guy now but since I became a bow tie guy, tonight is the first time I've had to go to a wake. Where do we stand on bow ties at a wake?
Black's OK. Leave the lavender or aquamarine ones at home.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

How about a plaid?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:How about a plaid?
Seems a little too jaunty for the occasion to be honest.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah...probably.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A bowtie kinda screams "Look at me! I'm a fun guy!" Maybe not the tone for a funeral/wake.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm wearing a bow-tie right now, ironically, fuschia to be exact. I've been wearing them once or twice a week for about two years now. For a wake, though, I think you're attracting too much attention.

Come to think of it, I think that's a good request for my funeral, where all the gents need to wear bow ties. Because I want my funeral to be a celebration of my life, and I think that's a cool touch.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

No love for the official swamp neck gear?

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:A bowtie kinda screams "Look at me! I'm a fun guy!" Maybe not the tone for a funeral/wake.
Yeah, that's my concern...that people still see them as whimsical and hence disrespectful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:A bowtie kinda screams "Look at me! I'm a fun guy!" Maybe not the tone for a funeral/wake.
Yeah, that's my concern...that people still see them as whimsical and hence disrespectful.
I get that, but I still think a black (or at least a solid dark, like a dark blue or something) is OK. Personally at least.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
I get that, but I still think a black (or at least a solid dark, like a dark blue or something) is OK. Personally at least.
If you've always worn a bow tie, never a long tie, a dark bow tie would be fine. If you're a newly minted bow tie guy, it's not appropriate.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I only recently started wearing them non-ironically.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What would Bill Nye do?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

As a bow tie wearer (and a self-tie, too boot), I call bullshit. If you're wearing a bow tie, your're wearing for a reason.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote:As a bow tie wearer (and a self-tie, too boot), I call bullshit. If you're wearing a bow tie, your're wearing for a reason.
I don't get it. Don't you wear any tie for a reason?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A gentleman wears a long tie because its a required part of a uniform. Often wears it to blend in and become invisible.

A gentlmen wears a bow tie because he is looking for it to get noticed. Or he's a chef or a musician, where a long tie might get in the way.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:No love for the official swamp neck gear?

Not to threadjack, but I used to have a jaunty bolo tie (a small longhorn steer head skull) that I would wear on occasion, but I lost it about ten years ago. So, last weekend, the wife and I are cleaning out the dark corners of our clothes closet (because the frickin' cat peed somewhere in there), and found closed up tight in a little box - my missing bolo. So, next time I meet a new swamper - you'll know how to recognize me!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Alright...I'm deep-sixing the bow tie.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anything short of them punching you in the face would have been a generous reaction by the grieving family.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Not to threadjack, but I used to have a jaunty bolo tie (a small longhorn steer head skull) that I would wear on occasion, but I lost it about ten years ago. So, last weekend, the wife and I are cleaning out the dark corners of our clothes closet (because the frickin' cat peed somewhere in there), and found closed up tight in a little box - my missing bolo. So, next time I meet a new swamper - you'll know how to recognize me!

Sure it wasn't the missus that lost it for you?

I have a big ass belt buckle/belt that my parents gave me for some reason. Has a roadrunner design out of turquoise and is relatively cool for a road runner turquoise belt. I'd wear it (I did go to the stock show last weekend) but the belt is actually to wide to fit through an y belt loops on my current pant selection.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I was quite pleased that the guy with Colorado Lacrosse sweatshirt on had an excellent mullet.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Not to threadjack, but I used to have a jaunty bolo tie (a small longhorn steer head skull) that I would wear on occasion, but I lost it about ten years ago. So, last weekend, the wife and I are cleaning out the dark corners of our clothes closet (because the frickin' cat peed somewhere in there), and found closed up tight in a little box - my missing bolo. So, next time I meet a new swamper - you'll know how to recognize me!
That's, I'm taking a detour to San Carlos next week. I actually am heading to San Leandro for a team conference, since we have never actually met as a group. Not going to have any time free time, though, as my supervisor scheduled evening outings every night. I am pushing for an evening at Drake's Brewery. It is less than a mile from my office, and supposed to be awesome, but as the lone man on my team, I don't know if a brewery is going to happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Girls can drink beer too, Syb.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

With a cute little umbrella in it?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:
That's, I'm taking a detour to San Carlos next week. I actually am heading to San Leandro for a team conference, since we have never actually met as a group. Not going to have any time free time, though, as my supervisor scheduled evening outings every night. I am pushing for an evening at Drake's Brewery. It is less than a mile from my office, and supposed to be awesome, but as the lone man on my team, I don't know if a brewery is going to happen.
I've been to Drake's brewery in San Leandro. Wasn't much to look at, but they make tasty ales!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was at a funeral yesterday for a lovely great aunt who made it to 102 years old still sharp of mind, living on her own (with a sassy caregiver) and happily visiting with her great grandchildren on a regular basis.

So, as funerals go, it was very pleasant.

But I had a cousin show up in jeans and a loud (almost christmassy loud) sweater. And a distant cousin was wearing sweatpants.

Wrong, just wrong.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

CNN has an interesting group of programs on the Sixties. When I grew up and went to high school. Pretty interesting.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HDO45331 wrote:CNN has an interesting group of programs on the Sixties. When I grew up and went to high school. Pretty interesting.

You did both in the same decade? I grew up way after high school.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:I was at a funeral yesterday for a lovely great aunt who made it to 102 years old still sharp of mind, living on her own (with a sassy caregiver) and happily visiting with her great grandchildren on a regular basis.

So, as funerals go, it was very pleasant.

But I had a cousin show up in jeans and a loud (almost christmassy loud) sweater. And a distant cousin was wearing sweatpants.

Wrong, just wrong.
My great uncle just turned 100, still living on his own in perfect health. He flew in for my wedding with a badass goatee and a bolo tie. His authoritarian witch of an abusive wife had recently died, so he was flaunting his freedom. I hear he hired a caretaker to check in on him, drive him to the store and such. He fired countless aides and is finally happy with one his daughter described as exactly like his wife.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The wake was full of Hell's Angels.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, that could have been amazing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote:A gentlmen wears a bow tie because he is looking for it to get noticed. Or he's a chef or a musician, where a long tie might get in the way.
My dad was nearly exclusive bow tie guy. He was an MD and it was very practical. When you bend over a patient it does not fall in their face...plus they tend to have less germs. I started wearing bow ties after he passed exclusively when possible (Weddings, synagogue, bar/bat mitzvahs, fancy date with the misses,), but very rarely for work (my boss is not a bow tie guy).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:The wake was full of Hell's Angels.
They probably would have beaten up guys in bow ties.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

AB_skin_test wrote:
HDO45331 wrote:CNN has an interesting group of programs on the Sixties. When I grew up and went to high school. Pretty interesting.

You did both in the same decade? I grew up way after high school.
Physically, not mentally.

My dad and I both got a lot smarter by the time I got to be 21 years old.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Bamboozled by Whole Foods. Bought a clamshell of dried mangos. The visible top of the product was 3 pristine, whole slices. Underneath was the equivalent of mango mulch. I'm rolling it up and packing it in like chaw.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone else try to use their fingerprint recognition on their phone all the time to perform things besides unlocking their phone? I've had the 6 for a week now and I seem to think it should be able to read my brain.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm not sure the correct thread for this, so it'll go here. I watched the first half of The Wolf of Wallstreet last night. Holy hell is Margot Robbie hot in that movie (and naked a lot). I had never heard of her before. I can't recall a hotter character in any movie I've seen. Maybe she fucks it up in the second half of the movie, but man...
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

No she's gorgeous through out.

I had heard of her, as my wife liked Pan Am a couple of years ago. I guess she starred in some Aussie soap that DiS is probably addicted to.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, she's ridiculous.