The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Back on track, I tried Founders Imperial Stout last week. Very good beer, kind of like a blend of Ten Fidy and Old Rasputin, but not as good as either. Also a bit more roasty/espresso flavor. Well worth trying.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Back on track, I tried Founders Imperial Stout last week. Very good beer, kind of like a blend of Ten Fidy and Old Rasputin, but not as good as either. Also a bit more roasty/espresso flavor. Well worth trying.

Have you had the KBS or CBS?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The best beer is the one you can't get. People go wacko for Fat Tire, blech.

I looked up Lord Chesterfield as I hadn't heard of it. The article describes it as "super hoppy" according to the folks at Beer Adovcate (they give it a poor rating) the first two ratings (and a number of others in the list) comment on how there is almost no hops and that the beer is no where near an APA (which Yuengling classifies it as)

Also leaving for San Fran this evening, and found out that next week is SF Beer Week, so I'll know how I'll drown my sorrows after being in tranning sessions all day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Back on track, I tried Founders Imperial Stout last week. Very good beer, kind of like a blend of Ten Fidy and Old Rasputin, but not as good as either. Also a bit more roasty/espresso flavor. Well worth trying.

No, desperately want to, though. I found a place near me that gets the KBS and displays an empty which psyched me out the first time I saw it. The guy told me it sells out immediately when they do get. I'm on their mailing list, so if they advertise, I'm going straight there. I love Founder's porter, like their Double Trouble and Rye offering. The Dirty Bastard Scotch ale is just OK. I find Scotch ales like barley wines; great ones are my favorite beers, but otherwise I don't like them much. Stouts and IPAs have a much wider range for being really good IMO.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:

No, desperately want to, though. I found a place near me that gets the KBS and displays an empty which psyched me out the first time I saw it. The guy told me it sells out immediately when they do get. I'm on their mailing list, so if they advertise, I'm going straight there. I love Founder's porter, like their Double Trouble and Rye offering. The Dirty Bastard Scotch ale is just OK. I find Scotch ales like barley wines; great ones are my favorite beers, but otherwise I don't like them much. Stouts and IPAs have a much wider range for being really good IMO.

This place has the porter on tap (or did when I was last there a couple of weeks ago).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hello old friend. Glad that your back here in Toronto.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

nugget nectar delivery taken today. happy.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Had the specialty Boulevard Chocolate Ale (draft) last night. And... meh. It was good for three sips but it took me forever to finish. I'm not going to go try to find it at the store.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote:nugget nectar delivery taken today. happy.
Fuck. I knew there was a reason I wanted to go to the liquor store today!

Drinking Lake Brewery Beer Line Organic Barley Wine. Not too bad, but probably needs to sit for a few years. It is 12.5%, but you don't taste the alcohol as much as you'd expect. It starts off malty as fuck, then finishes with a bitter bite. I don't love it, but it is one of the better American Style barley wines. I wish more brewers made English style. I just think with time, the flavors would mellow a bit and blend better. But, WTF do I know?

-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Got mine Saturday.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:
Got mine Saturday.

Purchased at lunch today. Wegman's liquor store FTW. They have a 100% carding policy. I can't imagine how many crotchety old folks get pissed about being carded.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Mondays are tough - three lectures X 2 1/2 hour each =sore throat and a big thirst.

Think I need to have a meeting with some of my friends.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's a delicious beer. Didn't know it was sold in cans. I've had it on tap, and out of the bottle, but bottled is skunky because those morons think a clear bottle is a good idea.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yuengling (or "Lager" for those Philly folks) ice cream.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pliny the younger at the Russian River mother ship in Santa Rosa on Saturday along with a sample of other Russian River beers, most "I've seen" according to my fast friend I met waiting to get in. Mikkeler Bar last night, 21st Amendmant tap room tonight..than the last pint of my Pliny the Elder growler.SF ain't half bad.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

That's a pretty solid tour.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Pliny the younger at the Russian River mother ship in Santa Rosa on Saturday along with a sample of other Russian River beers, most "I've seen" according to my far friend I met waiting to get in. Mikkeler Bar last night, 21st Amendmant tap room tonight..than the last point of my Pliny the Elder growler.SF ain't half bad.
So jealous. I wish my company was in SF instead of San Leandro. But San Leandro does have the Drake's brewery right around the corner from our HQ. Their Black Robusto Porter was excellent, and I hear the bar is a lot of fun.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sort of disappointed that I forgot all about Lagunitas. So have to hit them up when when back out there in 3 weeks or so.

For those in the Bay area, found a great little spot called "The Trappist" in Oakland. Little Euro styled joint with really good food and fantastic beer. Really reasonably priced for what they have on tap.

And the Russian River taster:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Sort of disappointed that I forgot all about Lagunitas. So have to hit them up when when back out there in 3 weeks or so.

Little Euro styled joint with really good food and fantastic beer. Really reasonably priced for what they have on tap.

And the Russian River taster:
I'll have to check that out. I am probably going back out in March or April. My team member on the West Coast lives in Oakland and basically described it as Williamsburg Brooklyn, cool hipster city. at least that's what Williamsburg was 8 years ago. Haven't been to Brooklyn in a while. I did wander around Oakland near Chinatown and the hipster coffee district. I'll have to suggest this spot to the group. Was the Russian River taster at this spot?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Was the Russian River taster at this spot?
No sir that was at the source in Santa Rosa (about an hour north)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Lagunitas was awesome. Especially the trip there and back by a professed ex-crack addict who was nice enough to roll through the In-n-Out drive thru on the way back to the hotel.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Hitting it up the first night I'm out there again...currently enjoying a Collaboration not Litigation from Avery and Russian River. Realized they both brewed a Belgian string with the name so they just blended the recipes and released it. Props.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had an Einstok Pale Ale here in Reykjavik and was surprised at how good it is. Hopped like an American PA. There's actually a few decent local micros here though they usually only make a couple different variants. Mostly IPAs or porters it seems. Kind of impressive considering beer (all beer) was illegal here until 1989.

The other local beers (Viking, Gull, couple others I'm forgetting) are all pilsners or lagers and are what you'd expect in Europe. At roughly 1,000 krona a pop ($9 give or take) I'm underwhelmed.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:Hitting it up the first night I'm out there again...currently enjoying a Collaboration not Litigation from Avery and Russian River. Realized they both brewed a Belgian string with the name so they just blended the recipes and released it. Props.
Sorry we missed each other last trip, Rush. But, I'm back in town, so we'll drink some beer together in March, when you return.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:
Sorry we missed each other last trip, Rush. But, I'm back in town, so we'll drink some beer together in March, when you return.[/quote]

Indeed. I'll be free Sunday the 16th after I land and all day Friday (I fly out at 8pm IIRC) and most if the week days at 4ish. I'll be sans wife unit this time so no designated driver. (If I haven't mentioned the first weeRush is due in late August/early September.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congratulations!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Whoa, congrats man!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

You hadn't mentioned, and what better place to put the announcement than in the Craft Beer Thread. As a tribute and good descriptor of what becoming a parent means for your life, a perfect name would be Stone Ruination Seiferth.

Congrats to you and the Mrs.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats rush!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Thanks gents. The Mrs. & I are quite happy that the baby will arrive soon enough so that it won't keep the wife from attending GABF.

Funny, when I met her she was only into wine, no she's a beer snob.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:Thanks gents. The Mrs. & I are quite happy that the baby will arrive soon enough so that it won't keep the wife from attending GABF.

Funny, when I met her she was only into wine, no she's a beer snob.
Well, supposedly Guinness is good for pregnant women, so Imperial stouts are probably twice as good.

Congratulations, children are a gift from above, and they will always give you an excuse to drink.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:
Well, supposedly Guinness is good for pregnant women, so Imperial stouts are probably twice as good.
It is best for nursing mothers and also those long weaned.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Mazel mazel!
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Big weekend for trying new beers. Friday I had what is probably the most interesting beer I've ever had. Struisse-Mikkeller collaboration. I think it is called Elliot Brew No. 12, but I am confused by this beer in numerous ways. It seems it was made for or sanctioned by RateBeer.com. It is completely it's own style, but at 130 IBU, I guess DIPA is the closest. The bottle was older, so maybe that contributed to the strong yeasty flavor in the first few sips. As it warmed up, the flavors came out. It had a very distinct long lasting aftertaste of pink grapefruit juice, which was really good, but strange. Glad I tried it, but wouldn't buy it again

Saturday a friend had a beer tasting for his birthday. He stocked up growlers of 4 different beers from the local brew pub. A lot of his friends are bigger beer snobs than I am, so everyone brought great shit. I brought Nugget Nectar, and apparently everyone else is having a hard time finding it this year. Completely lived up to my memory and the hype. Several guys said it is better than the Plinys. The standout for me was Allagash Curieux. I was in the bag already, but man was that good. Trippel Belgian aged in Jim Beam barrels, then cut with fresh Trippel Belgian. It was a light refreshing beer, but somehow 11%. The carbonation bubbles seemed tiny, if that is a thing, and it had a bit of tropical fruitiness to it. The oak and bourbon were mild. There was a slight spiciness to it, I think coriander. Highly recommend.

I also had Victory Golden Monkey, another Trippel Belgian, for the first time. Good, not great. I liked it until I tried the Allagash, which blew it away. Just looked at the ratings. BA had it at 83, Bros. at 75. Rate Beer had it at 98. The Bros reviews were 12 years old, so maybe it has changed or the years?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I got mirror pond here for the first time ever in a sixer. Was super excited about that. It was as good as I remembered from Hood to Coast.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

There's a real hipster brewery down in my old neighbourhood. Indy rock playing even in the "bottle shop," all men have beards, female staffers wear toques inside, intentionally retro equipment...

In short, everything that should cause me to avoid the place.

But holy snapping arseholes, these guys make some of the best beer I have ever tasted. Fresh, strong and well balanced.

Let them listen to The Decembrists of whatever that noise is, let them keep quirky hours for their retail outlet, hell, let them do whatever they want.

Just as long as they keep brewing gems like this one:

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

AB_skin_test wrote:I got mirror pond here for the first time ever in a sixer. Was super excited about that. It was as good as I remembered from Hood to Coast.

Mirror Pond all over the place now...all the grocery stores seem to have it! Wowza!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Let them listen to The Decembrists of whatever that noise is, let them keep quirky hours for their retail outlet, hell, let them do whatever they want.
Hey, what's wrong with the Decemberists? I am far from a hipster, but I really like them.

To keep from threadjacking, I tried another weird one out of Belgium. Alvinne Podge Belgian Imperial Stout. Not what you think of as a stout, thin and highly carbonated, felt and looked like cola. Yeasty and more fruity than a stout, but not bad. Wouldn't buy again, though. I found a place that sells all sorts of Scandanavian and Belgians I haven't seen or heard of, but they haven't been worth it. 'Murica, mother fuckers!

-Pruitt
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

Congrats Rush!! Great news!

We're taking advantage of the new Farm Brewery Law in New York to start up...

...don't get too excited...

custom barley malting!!!!!

We're not into production yet but it won't be long. Demand looks to be very strong. It better be, cause it's costing two royal fucktons of cash to set the bitch up.