2013 Boston Marathon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2013 Boston Marathon

Post by bfj »

I fully evacuated this morning also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rules suspended.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Let's go
down
the
rabbit
hole.

The comments, especially on that first one, are freeper worthy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The stuff about authorities having prior knowledge because there were bomb sniffing dogs, coming from the Mobile University (??) x-country coach are about is thin and useless as anything I've seen in the aftermath.

But the two dudes who totally look like ex-military? Would love to know their back story. Not as part of some ridiculous "false flag" plot, but just to clear up what they were doing there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The x-c coach's comments have gotten huge traction. And in all likelihood a nuthin.

Easiest explanation for ex-military looking dudes in the crowd is plainclothes cops/agents. Which one would hope/assume are in effect in a security situation. All kinds of things a plainclothes cop can carry in a backpack.

(I could've just said 'ditto' I suppose. Not really my style, though. Agree w/above.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote:But the two dudes who totally look like ex-military? Would love to know their back story. Not as part of some ridiculous "false flag" plot, but just to clear up what they were doing there.
Yeah, I'll admit that the couple of different shots of those guys might be enough to warrant some uninformed speculation.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:The stuff about authorities having prior knowledge because there were bomb sniffing dogs, coming from the Mobile University (??) x-country coach are about is thin and useless as anything I've seen in the aftermath.

But the two dudes who totally look like ex-military? Would love to know their back story. Not as part of some ridiculous "false flag" plot, but just to clear up what they were doing there.

Didn't realize the first site was Alex Jones' before reading the comments. His listeners are the fringe of the Freepers. All of the Benghazi talk, these people just don't give up with that. What do they really think Obama could have done differently to prevent Benghazi from happening?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:But the two dudes who totally look like ex-military? Would love to know their back story. Not as part of some ridiculous "false flag" plot, but just to clear up what they were doing there.
Yeah, I'll admit that the couple of different shots of those guys might be enough to warrant some uninformed speculation.
Absolutely! They fucking stand out like like a sore thumb, so if they were planting a bomb, they were dumb as fuck, so I highly doubt that is what they were doing there. As one comment mentioned, they either work for Craft International, or bought a Craft hat on their website. Conspiracy nuts drive themselves crazy with this shit. There are countless possible reasons for anything, but they latch onto the one that fits that cockamamie tale, and won't accept anything else.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

For those who haven't heard, FBI about to hold a press conference where they are expected to show pictures/video of the suspects.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What a shocker. Neither suspect is one identified in any of those 4chan pics.

Pretty interesting stuff though. I find it odd the FBI would release those pics and then say they don't know who these guys are. Obviously they have other pics and videos they aren't sharing.
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Scottie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Scottie wrote: And POTUS doesn't go on television to call it an act of terrorism unless they have some idea. Obama didn't address the nation to imply it was a lone kook. Clearly, they know something. Hopefully they know something.
I think you give Obama too much credit here. I have no doubt he would go on TV and call it an act of terrorism without a shred of evidence or reason to believe that it was an act of terrorism. I have no information and I don't think the President did at the time of the TV appearance either. Obviously I'm making a huge leap here, but I'm fairly confident this wasn't an act of terrorism. Possibly domestic nut job terrorism without much of a longview or point, but I doubt it was even that. Certainly less of a cohesive viewpoint than Ted Kaczynski or Eric Rudlolph.
Solid. I believe that as well.

My first thought was that the perp is a minor league Timmy McVeigh. Some local jackass.
Or, it seems, a minor league Timmy McVeigh and a minor league Terry Nichols.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:
Scottie wrote: Solid. I believe that as well.

My first thought was that the perp is a minor league Timmy McVeigh. Some local jackass.
Or, it seems, a minor league Timmy McVeigh and a minor league Terry Nichols.
Yeah, so it looks like two suspects, not the one I assumed, which throws off my profile. Obviously two suspects shows that they were capable of working together, so less anti-social than I initial predicted, also makes it more likely that there was some sort of endgame or political goal (and, dare I say terrorist nature to the crime?). It is far less likely that two sick fucks would collaborate to kill and maim for the sake of killing and maiming, but it can happen. Look at Columbine or Leopold and Loeb. In that case, I expect one sick fuck with an alpha male personality and a very weak minded side kick talked into following the plan. Hard to tell from the pictures, but our racist friend Howard may be wrong, these guys might not be white after all, which will lead the Freeper brigade to call for the death to all Muslims, even if these guys are Latino's and did this in the name of Jesus.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Dream on. White boys--book it!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Dream on. White boys--book it!
Hey, I called Whitey too. They just look like they might be brown from those grainy pics, that's all. They could be Moroccan or or some shit. I still think if it was some sort of Islamic terrorist group, they would have claimed responsibility, otherwise, what's the point?

ETA: When Howard says "book it," you can pretty much guarantee it's wrong.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well, Al Qaeda has vehemently denied any involvement.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Saw this on reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/I1dF69f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Man, we should have just moved the Swamp to r/Swamp.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Rush2112 wrote:Well, Al Qaeda has vehemently denied any involvement.
Which they would have, presumably, since they are quick to take credit for anything they do less someone else does; the People's Front of Sand or the Sandpeople's Front.
Shirley wrote:Saw this on reddit.
http://i.imgur.com/I1dF69f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see suspect #2 (white hat) on the left. Is there anything else in there? It (sort of) differs from the reporting that suggested the two suspects "stood around watching".

Also, seems like there were a lot of kids around the site. From that photo, anyway.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So is that dude leering at the crying-blue-shirt-girl's chest?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

aaaaand now there is a shooter at MIT. In the Strata building no less, which is the new iconic building on campus.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote:So is that dude leering at the crying-blue-shirt-girl's chest?
Judging from the distance between the stripes on the crosswalk, doubtful. He's too far behind her.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Scottie wrote:
I see suspect #2 (white hat) on the left. Is there anything else in there? It (sort of) differs from the reporting that suggested the two suspects "stood around watching".

Also, seems like there were a lot of kids around the site. From that photo, anyway.
From the thread on Reddit they seem to think that the 2nd suspect is behind the the white hatted dude between two women.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Rush2112 wrote:
Scottie wrote:

From the thread on Reddit they seem to think that the 2nd suspect is behind the the white hatted dude between two women.
Yeah, That was my first thought, too. But the hat colors seem to be a bit different, the white t-shirt is not visible, the cuffs of the pants seem to be down instead of rolled up a bit. There's definitely some red on that hat (which there is not on the suspect photos). And what do you think of that white bit that appears to be on the right shoulder of his jacket? That doesn't appear on the suspect photos either.

Even taking that into Photoshop, blowing it up and sharpening the heck out of it, doesn't help much.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure if this is shopped or not.

Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

If you enlarge that photo to 250% (or higher), the white hat dude has heavily pixelated artifacts around his head (and the brick wall behind him). In fact, at that magnification, he is the only part of the photo where pixelated artifacts are visible. I'm not saying it is Photoshopped but that is usually a dead give-away that something has been altered. And there will by a slew of faked photos kicking around the internet in the aftermath of the bombing. Thousands.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:Not sure if this is shopped or not.
Same explanation as my post just above. Look at it around 250% or higher. The only pixelated area is around white hat dude's head.

And why is that one foot colored red? If it's not a fake, it's at least been heavily edited.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You certainly have a keener eye than I do. I honestly cannot tell a difference.

I was skeptical because the released FBI photo of this guy is the same grainy headshot in this pic. If it was lifted from this pic, it would make sense. Other, total shopjob.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The other thing is . . . where did these shots come from? The FBI didn't release them. So, unless they came from someone that was present but who chose not to hand the photos over to law enforcement (but go public with them, after the FBI suspect photos were released), that heavily suggests fake shots.

And the pixelation in both is severe enough (once you magnify them) around the suspect.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That is an excellent point. What gets me is how grainy most photos are these days that "prove" something. Even modest camera phones are using 2 MP cameras. If you have a higher end Samsung or iPhone, it's 5 MP - 8 MP (sure one can alter the resolution, but still. Most don't.)

And then the amount of photographers both professional and amateur using awesome equipment on the scene that day? I'm kinda surprised that a few grainy shots from what looks like an in store camera are the only things the FBI wants you to go on. Obviously most cameras were pointed streetward, but that doesn't take away from the fact that thousands of shots were grabbed that day. Maybe it's the meticulous vetting by the feds that narrow it down, but I'm sure in the coming days everyone who had something to do with pictures at the finish line will furnish something revelatory.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Boston Bombing Victim in Iconic Photo Helped Identify Attackers
“He woke up under so much drugs, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, ‘bag, saw the guy, looked right at me,’” Chris Bauman [Jeff's brother] said yesterday in an interview.
That'll give you chills.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well this is fucking crazypants. A suspect is in custody and the other is on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with cops??

What the fuck???
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:Well this is fucking crazypants. A suspect is in custody and the other is on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with cops??

What the fuck???
Some sources claim that the FBI said there is no connection to the marathon. Some sources claim that the FBI said there is a connection to the marathon.

Boston is certainly on edge.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sweet. Someone is awake for this. This shit cray. I'm fixated to the TV.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Twitter. Is. Going. Apeshit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:Twitter. Is. Going. Apeshit.

So is Reddit.

Holy. Shit. All this is going down blocks from where I used to live. Craziness.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:Twitter. Is. Going. Apeshit.
Doubtlessly. Not even looking at Twitter given that nobody on Twitter knows anything that they aren't seeing on TV.

CNN reporting that one guy (of two) arrested in Watertown is a "naked white guy" (yes, really) and the other is "Arab or Middle Eastern", whatever the difference is.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Police scanners said the 2nd dude is Sunil Tripathi, the missing Brown student.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So why didn't they release the super close/in focus pictures earlier?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I still haven't seen the high res pics.