Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:
rass wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Anyone not asking about the backstory of "Angry Sticker Guy" is doing it wrong.
Guy who vigorously defends his reserved parking spot against any and all trespassers by plastering giant stickers (not just paper with a piece of scotch tape) across the windshield of the offending car. He gets bonus points for doing it himself and not sending out a pleb to take care of it. He seems to have mellowed a bit the last couple of years. We figure it's either because he became a grandfather, or had a heart attack (he has taken up throwing on a pair of sneakers and walking around the parking lot at lunch).

The spawn of... parks next to him and is presumably his son.

My company shared our old building with the USDA. They had some reserved spots for their higher ups, the only company in the building to have them. They were right by the main entrance and not well marked - only on the curb not a sign or anything - that said "Parking for USDA". Many many times this guy would lose his spot and come out at lunch or quitting time and wait for a LONG time until the person showed up. He'd then be a total dick about it. Screaming, etc.

The best time was an old man who came to the USDA for something or other and had just been in a meeting with the guy (we found this out from a USDA employee who we were friendly with) and when the meeting was over the old guy went to leave and the other guy followed him to the parking lot to stake out whoever had his spot. Despite clearly working with the guy on something with the USDA , he still was a total ass. He pointed to the sign and the old guy apparently told him he saw the sign and was here for the USDA and that sign isn't the least bit clear and then submitted a complaint to the guy's boss. They removed the reserved parking shortly thereafter.
And the karma of the story makes us all a bit happier!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Assuming rass works in IT, right? This sort of elaborate network of in-jokes would be made possible by:

1. A predominantly (or entirely) male peer group;
2. Extended hours tied to your desk, necessitating creative ways to amuse yourselves; and
3. Physical separation from anyone else who might overhear and get offended.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

4. Windows overlooking the parking lot.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There is a Red Bull themed Mini Cooper, complete with a giant can on the roof, parked in our parking lot. Two attractive young ladies unloaded four cases of (presumably) Red Bull into some dude's Jeep Liberty. Dude (who may not work in this complex, as he is wearing a service worker-y pinned on name tag) is currently leaning over the passenger side, chattin' 'em up.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:There is a Red Bull themed Mini Cooper, complete with a giant can on the roof, parked in our parking lot. Two attractive young ladies unloaded four cases of (presumably) Red Bull into some dude's Jeep Liberty. Dude (who may not work in this complex, as he is wearing a service worker-y pinned on name tag) is currently leaning over the passenger side, chattin' 'em up.
Seems to be in the vein of:
Mitch Hedburg wrote:When I was a kid I had a paper route. Which means I had to get up early and go to 2000 houses. Or 2 dumpsters.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

As many of you know, I work for a newspaper company as a Mac administrator. I have a reputation among some of our publishers of being a bad news guy because I frequently tell them they need to spend money on something, like new computers, upgraded software, servers, etc.

Well, I was on the phone with one of our publishers for a support call, and he asked when I would be in his market next. I told him there's a project in the works that, if it comes to pass, would require me to be in his market for a few days sometime early next year. I then told him we probably would need to upgrade all of the Macs in his office before they can use the project, which would cost him several thousand dollars.

He then asked me if I would hold "for another call", and I said sure. He then hung up on me.

I'm almost certain it's a coincidence, but I'm still laughing about it.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Overheard a great conversation. Some of the drones over in sector 7-G were talking about summer concerts, and one guy somewhat arrogantly said, "well, I'd consider myself a bit of a Jimmy Buffet fan. I've been to well over 100 Buffet concerts."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"So then what do you do for fun?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I work now at a pretty sizable campus for a mutual fund company, large enough that one could run a 5K during lunch. Seeing this, the first floor bathrooms at each building have locker rooms and showers.

There is some inveterate shitbag who gets people's towels hanging to dry in the lockers and throws them on the floor. If I were so inclined I would try to set a trap for him. Maybe rub this athlete's foot-laden towel all over his mouse and keyboard and shit. I've gotten to call this assclown "Towel Qaeda".
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Is there some rule against hanging towels, and he's passively-aggressively trying to punish people by throwing them on the floor, or is he just randomly being a dick?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice hot weekend, and the AC hasn't kicked in at the office building yet. 90+ degrees up here on the third floor at 6:30AM this morning...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Still 82 degrees in the inner offices. I think the ones with windows are a little warmer.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:Still 82 degrees in the inner offices. I think the ones with windows are a little warmer.
Is it broken? AC at the gym was not working today, which made the workout real fun. I figured as much when my shirt was sweatstained before I even touched a barbell.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote:
rass wrote:Still 82 degrees in the inner offices. I think the ones with windows are a little warmer.
Is it broken? AC at the gym was not working today, which made the workout real fun. I figured as much when my shirt was sweatstained before I even touched a barbell.
Broken.

Now fixed. Just under 20 degrees cooler in here this morning.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

For any/all managers out there....when you are in a group meeting with 12 people and 2 of them are contractors, don't joke about the contractors being "second class citizens". Tends to sap the motivation...
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

One of my coworkers threw out her pyrex dish because the food had gone bad in it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did you?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Closest I've ever come to quitting my job today in a huff. A co-worker I despise told a customer I'd run a time-sensitive custom report (has to be run at noon Eastern) for them on Aug. 15 which happens to be a Saturday without even checking with me first (I've done similar stuff before in the past if I get asked ahead of time and can prepare/am aware). I told her I'd see what I could do, but if push comes to shove the weekend is the weekend and I'm not sitting at home to save her ass just because she's stupid (paraphrasing a bit, but she knows I think she's stupid).

She goes and tells our boss, who gently asks me what I can do (he's a nice guy and I like him, but he carries incompetent people too much), but I told him the same thing about running the report and said if she pulls the same shit again either she goes or I go. (And I'm not afraid to call his bluff on either count. I have plenty of money saved up to not have to work for a year if it comes to that. Not that I don't think I couldn't get another job fairly soon.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This co-worker is at or below your level?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:This co-worker is at or below your level?
Most accurate would be to say "at". I have much more experience and have been with the company longer, but my position is kind of a hybrid since we're a relativiely small company. We both report directly to the VP of Customer Loyalty though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This could just be my opinion, but I think she's infinitely replaceable and just about anyone with a lick of common sense could do her job (probably evidenced by the fact that she works for a software company and literally doesn't know how software works and has managed to keep her job with us for like three years). Whereas I'm one of only two people in the company who know how to do about 50 percent of the shit I do on a daily basis. If I really decided to quit and definitely if I decided to quit on the spot with no notice they'd be royally fucked.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

brian wrote:Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Love that movie.

The thing I like the most about my job is that I DON'T have to deal with customers. That's the only reason I've lasted this long. I would have quit ages ago were that not true.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If this is a run/send, run the report and send it to her to send on to them just to ensure she has to work that Saturday too.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

"As a huge favor to you, yes. As long as every minute that I'm working on this on that Saturday, you are cleaning my toilets and detailing my car. And of course I get one of your personal days."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You work your ass off to get it done the Friday before but you don't send it to her until late Saturday. Easy squeezy lemon peasy.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I misread that it had to be done on Saturday. Totes mcgoats my bad. But I am 100% against you here now that I read it correctly. Yes the weekend is the weekend but if work has to be done it has to be done.

Is she a bitch and should call them and say she didn't realize that was a weekend? Yes? If you already had plans then you tell your boss that and move on. Otherwise isn't it still your job?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

P.D.X. wrote:One of my coworkers threw out her pyrex dish because the food had gone bad in it.
Sure. Cause and effect. Like a leaky water bottle.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:I misread that it had to be done on Saturday. Totes mcgoats my bad. But I am 100% against you here now that I read it correctly. Yes the weekend is the weekend but if work has to be done it has to be done.

Is she a bitch and should call them and say she didn't realize that was a weekend? Yes? If you already had plans then you tell your boss that and move on. Otherwise isn't it still your job?
There is a complete tacit understanding we don't do shit on weekends unless it is cleared first. There are others with her same position where I would do it for without argument (especially if they apologized and weren't a bitch who made it seem like it was my job) but she's a retarded cunt who drags the entire company down and me especially.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Can you reschedule?

Can you make her do the job since she scheduled it?
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is like reading the comments section over on Deadspin. It has to be run at a specific day and time dammit!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In any event, it's done. I'll just have to make sure I'm on my computer to run it that day. Sometimes you have to do shit you don't want to do. That's life.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You could learn how to schedule the report to run w/out manually kicking it off. Then you'd be a hero to the entire company and you'd have your coworker to thank.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You start automating your tasks, you can put yourself out of a job.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The fact that only one other person who is basically one of my best friends can do my job is incredible job security. If things continue to remain shitty I might just remind them of that come salary review time in December.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't rock the boat now because I'm not an idiot. I'm more or less fairly compensated and getting to work from home is worth at least $10000 in my opinion. But I'm not above squeezing my bosses balls if push comes to shove.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Holy shit. Civilians get their weekends ruined too without prior knowledge? That's so weird.

At least you have a couple weeks heads up. I like the weeks where I'm minding my own business and then at some point on Friday some thing happens and then my plans get screwed over. Or when I do plan something in advance and world events dictate otherwise.

...and if it involves already purchased plane tickets, so help me All_h.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Holy shit. Civilians get their weekends ruined too without prior knowledge? That's so weird.

At least you have a couple weeks heads up. I like the weeks where I'm minding my own business and then at some point on Friday some thing happens and then my plans get screwed over. Or when I do plan something in advance and world events dictate otherwise.

...and if it involves already purchased plane tickets, so help me All_h.

Back in my lawyering days, I could probably count on my fingers the number of weekends I didn't do any work. Same with my current job, but that has as much to do with wasting time with you people. West coast work does mean frequently getting work dumped on me Friday evening. Just last week I had a client asking if he could change his policies to require employees to respond to e-mails while on vacation. Even California, where employees have insane rights, an employer can do this.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That's one of the things I miss most from lawyering. Doing work seven days a week.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote:That's one of the things I miss most from lawyering. Doing work seven days a week.
Especially working for an absent minded and overworked litigation partner. So many times when I'm getting ready to go home, he would run into my office in a panic about a filing deadline, asking me to stay late. My wife was pregnant, then home with a newborn at this time, calling me every hour asking when I would be home. Those sessions usually went past midnight.
-Pruitt