Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:A Blue Angel and a Thunderbird crashed today within an hour of each other. The Thunderbird pilot ejected safely. The Blue Angel pilot didn't.

This weekend the Thunderbirds are supposed to be here for the Air Show. They probably won't be now.
Blue Angels are supposed to be here for an air show next weekend.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

How about John Mellencamp. Feel like if Bruce is a blind spot you would miss out on Little Pink Houses and such.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:How about John Mellencamp. Feel like if Bruce is a blind spot you would miss out on Little Pink Houses and such.
I know some. My sister was/is(?) a fan.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

In honor of today being nation donut day:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kid 1 is home sick today so we went to a really good doughnut place by us ... and they were completely out. Just got slammed, apparently.
Rush2112 wrote:
mister d wrote:You also can't not know Streets of Philadelphia simply because of the movie.
The movie Philadelphia? Never saw it.
Me neither, but there were a few commercials.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:
Me neither, but there were a few commercials.
Came out in 1993, I didn't have/watch TV for most of the middle 90s.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So with the DC Metro's "SafeTrack" effort (DC's metro infrastructure is so bad right now they have to shut down segments to repair..a process that will go on into at least November), I am biking to work. Not a big deal 10.2 to 11.4 miles depending on the route I take. However, sitting in my fancy office chair while wearing really nice bike shorts (lots of padding) is basically nirvana. This could be the new trend in office apparel...Dockers with bike shorts inside...I am going to be rich!!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like the bike shorts themselves are comfort improvers? I've never actually worn them, but I just assumed the opposite, like they just glued everything to your body.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So with the DC Metro's "SafeTrack" effort (DC's metro infrastructure is so bad right now they have to shut down segments to repair..a process that will go on into at least November), I am biking to work. Not a big deal 10.2 to 11.4 miles depending on the route I take. However, sitting in my fancy office chair while wearing really nice bike shorts (lots of padding) is basically nirvana. This could be the new trend in office apparel...Dockers with bike shorts inside...I am going to be rich!!!!
I'm picturing WLU walking around the office with a tie and dress shirt tucked into bicycle shorts.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Like the bike shorts themselves are comfort improvers? I've never actually worn them, but I just assumed the opposite, like they just glued everything to your body.
I couldn't envision anything other than wearing dri-fit boxer briefs now, especially in the summertime

I also understood why women wear tights to the gym when I started wearing them (under shorts) when I was deadlifting
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:Like the bike shorts themselves are comfort improvers? I've never actually worn them, but I just assumed the opposite, like they just glued everything to your body.
I couldn't envision anything other than wearing dri-fit boxer briefs now, especially in the summertime

I also understood why women wear tights to the gym when I started wearing them (under shorts) when I was deadlifting
I could be wrong, but I think you could easily wear those dri-fit boxer briefs under your bike shorts instead of a jockstrap.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Syb wrote:I'm picturing WLU walking around the office with a tie and dress shirt tucked into bicycle shorts.
Bib Shorts man...Bib Shorts
sancarlos wrote:I could be wrong, but I think you could easily wear those dri-fit boxer briefs under your bike shorts instead of a jockstrap.
No No No No No No. Bike Shorts are designed to be worn commando. The goal with bike shorts is to minimize the amount of seams and various materials in order to prevent chafing. Your inner-thighs are a prime target for rubbing against your saddle, and if you’re wearing underwear then the seam can end up rubbing against your downstairs for the entirety of a ride. The other reason to not wear underwear is that chamois pads are specifically designed to wick away sweat and they’re usually made of an anti-bacterial material.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If the Stanford victim's father kills the Stanford rapist's father, I will heartily applaud. The only downside would be his punishment.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:If the Stanford victim's father kills the Stanford rapist's father, I will heartily applaud. The only downside would be his punishment.
lifetime versus weekend???? think about it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Syb wrote:I'm picturing WLU walking around the office with a tie and dress shirt tucked into bicycle shorts.
Bib Shorts man...Bib Shorts
I can't decide if that looks more like a wrestling singlet or a modern version of German lederhosen.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote:
mister d wrote:If the Stanford victim's father kills the Stanford rapist's father, I will heartily applaud. The only downside would be his punishment.
lifetime versus weekend???? think about it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerome wrote: think about it.
It was fun re-reading all those 2007 comments. When are you guys starting up AofG, again?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
Jerome wrote: think about it.
It was fun re-reading all those 2007 comments. When are you guys starting up AofG, again?
That was a great waste of like 15 minutes. Some great ones in there like this one from DSafe
This has been enjoyable, as I have long wondered what it would be like if gazelles just laid down in front of packs of lions to be ravaged.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

WEATHER OR NOT CHRIS DID IT, HE STILL A HERO. I PREY THAT THE PRESS DONT PRAY ON THIS TRAGDEE. I KNOW HE LOVD HIS SUN. U ALL NEED TO STOP H8'N. NOW. I NO CHRIS WAS A GOOD PERSON. MURDER ASIDE.
This one jumped out to me from membengal.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

to circle back to the discussion about lawn maintenance, my neighbor across the street mowed his grass for the first time yesterday. the grass was two feet tall

he owns/operates a landscaping company
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Take that to the Jerloma thread.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote:he owns/operates a landscaping company
He ain't gettin' paid to mow his own lawn.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:he owns/operates a landscaping company
He ain't gettin' paid to mow his own lawn.
No, but doesn't he have a bunch of Mexican to put on the job?
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You actually want the grass to grow as long as possible before mowing. He's doing his own house the right way
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brontoburglar wrote:to circle back to the discussion about lawn maintenance, my neighbor across the street mowed his grass for the first time yesterday. the grass was two feet tall

he owns/operates a landscaping company
Which illustrates why I did not become a gynecologist
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The runner-up to play George Frankly on Mathnet was Phil Hartman

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote:The runner-up to play George Frankly on Mathnet was Phil Hartman
This one particular part of this one particular episode (and just this part of just this episode) is one of those odd things that just pops up in my head every so (too?) often.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rimshot, hangin' out.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What is the word for when AI takes over the humans?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:What is the word for when AI takes over the humans?
The Singularity.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Fuck, yes. Thank you!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

My company has implemented a rewards program that only rewards the type of person that's willing to nominate themselves for a fucking reward. That being narcissistic, childish, assholes of course.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Best of luck

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just like the record to state that I would never nominate myself for an award and if any of my friends did I would have to terminate that relationship immediately.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Don't worry, none of us will ever nominate you for an award.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ryan wrote:Best of luck
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Semi-related story about the judge who gave the light sentence to the Stanford rapist.
District Attorney Jeff Rosen removed Judge Aaron Persky from the bench in a pending case involving a nurse accused of sexually assaulting a sedated patient.

Rosen said he had lost confidence in Persky after the judge dismissed a misdemeanor case mid-trial Monday, an unusual decision that essentially exonerates the defendant prior to a jury vote.

“We are disappointed and puzzled at Judge Persky’s unusual decision to unilaterally dismiss a case before the jury could deliberate,” Rosen said in a statement. “After this and the recent turn of events, we lack confidence that Judge Persky can fairly participate in this upcoming hearing in which a male nurse sexually assaulted an anesthetized female patient.”

The misdemeanor case involved possession of stolen property — specifically stolen mail, said James Leonard, supervising deputy district attorney. After the prosecution had presented its case, including witness accounts regarding stolen credit card applications, the defense filed a motion to dismiss — something almost always denied.

Persky granted it.

“The judge ... didn’t think a jury could find the defendant knew this was stolen mail,” Leonard said. “The jury didn’t get to hear the rest of the case or deliberate. This was dismaying to us.”

Out of the last 150 cases or so, such a motion has been granted “maybe twice,” the deputy district attorney said.
Rosen said the decision to remove Persky from the case against the nurse was a “carefully considered step.” The district attorney filed the motion to remove Persky, a rare action that implies a lack of faith in the judge’s impartiality in the case. It was unclear whether other pending cases before Persky would be subject to similar action.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What do you do when someone sends out a group email trying to find out when everyone is going to the wake of the mother of someone at work and it's a person that never in a million years would you think that you have any obligation whatsoever to attend their mother's wake? Everyone is just asking like it's a damn foregone conclusion. I don't even like this person!

This fucking wake-shaming has to stop.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote:What do you do when someone sends out a group email trying to find out when everyone is going to the wake of the mother of someone at work and it's a person that never in a million years would you think that you have any obligation whatsoever to attend their mother's wake? Everyone is just asking like it's a damn foregone conclusion. I don't even like this person!

This fucking wake-shaming has to stop.
They probably nominated themselves for employee of the month.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:
Wow, that will set a huge precedence. They could essentially prevent this judge from hearing any criminal cases ever. It sure seems like he may be taking bribes. Purely speculating, but it fits as an explanation of two shocking rulings. Very surprising to see a Judge dismiss a criminal case before trial. It means that prosecution, assuming all of their arguments are true, failed to make a case. I can't imagine a DA going forward with a case that poor. I would assume CA has a Grand Jury system, so that defendant must have been indicted by a grand jury, meaning the GJ found the case against him legit.

A couple months ago I read about a case in Oklahoma where the criminal appeals court found that forced oral sex on a passed out drunk women is not a crime. The court found that forcible sodomy can't occur when the victim is unconscious, because she didn't resist or object. Holy fuck. The state legislature is amending the statute, but come on.
-Pruitt