Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by P.D.X. »

Acceptable for picnics and tailgating. Any self-respecting restaurant uses the glass bottles.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm trying to picture the type of restaurant that's too fancy for plastic bottles but also necessitates ketchup.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Like, anyplace where you're spending more than $10 for a burger.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Five Gentlemen
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

TGIFridays.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Who the fuck signed off on phasing out traditional-shaped ketchup bottles in favor of the ones that open on the bottom? When did this happen?
1. Eliminates the issue of that watery stuff that collects at the top.
2. Eliminates the issue of trying to get it flowing when you first open the bottle.
What is your problem with this positive advancement?
1. No, it doesn't. If you store the bottle bottom-side up, then watery crap still comes out first.

2. It also requires more force to get the ketchup to flow, and frequently dispenses more than I want.

Get off my lawn.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

In-N-Out, But Slowly OK?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shake Gently Shack.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Who the fuck signed off on phasing out traditional-shaped ketchup bottles in favor of the ones that open on the bottom? When did this happen?
2. Eliminates the issue of trying to get it flowing when you first open the bottle.
1. No, it doesn't. If you store the bottle bottom-side up, then watery crap still comes out first.

2. It also requires more force to get the ketchup to flow, and frequently dispenses more than I want.

Get off my lawn.
1. Why the fuck would you store it bottom side up?

2. More force than pounding on the bottom of a bottle and ending up with ketchup all over everything? Methinks not. Just squeeze the bottle, for chrissakes.

And the controversy rages onward...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:
Sabo wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

Get off my lawn.
1. Why the fuck would you store it bottom side up?

2. More force than pounding on the bottom of a bottle and ending up with ketchup all over everything. Methinks not.

And the controversy rages onward...
1. Because it's the widest part of the bottle. With most people, when you store things upright, you put them with the widest side down so it's less likely to fall over. Or does gravity not exist in California?

2. Actually, with a glass Heinz bottle, you're supposed to smack the part of the bottle that curves at the neck. That's much more effective at getting the ketchup to move than spanking the bottom.

Seriously ... get the F off my lawn.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Do clevelanders not respect the sanctity of labels? The bottom is the top!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:Because it's the widest part of the bottle. With most people, when you store things upright, you put them with the widest side down so it's less likely to fall over. Or does gravity not exist in California?
Are you sure someone didn't just put your old ketchup bottle in the fridge upside down? The bottom openers aren't top heavy.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:
Sabo wrote:Because it's the widest part of the bottle. With most people, when you store things upright, you put them with the widest side down so it's less likely to fall over. Or does gravity not exist in California?
Are you sure someone didn't just put your old ketchup bottle in the fridge upside down? The bottom openers aren't top heavy.
Seriously ... get the F off my lawn.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote:2. Actually, with a glass Heinz bottle, you're supposed to smack the part of the bottle that curves at the neck. That's much more effective at getting the ketchup to move than spanking the bottom.
A friend who is a western Pennsylvania native once gave a much more specific direction of what to do. Specifically, to tap on the "57" on the side of the bottle's neck.

“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sabo wrote:2. Actually, with a glass Heinz bottle, you're supposed to smack the part of the bottle that curves at the neck. That's much more effective at getting the ketchup to move than spanking the bottom.
A friend who is a western Pennsylvania native once gave a much more specific direction of what to do. Specifically, to tap on the "57" on the side of the bottle's neck.

Wait, so just living where an iconic product is made makes you some kind of fucking expert?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My goal after the explanation, if I recall correctly, was to say, "Are you fucking kidding me?", then switch topics as quickly as possible.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's what I've always heard and how I've always done it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm ambivalent on the ketchup bottle thing.

But I will echo the nonsense that is the slight deathgrip you have to give to the bottle to actually dispense the ketchup which absolutely squirts out way too fucking much of it.

What's worse...drowning your burger in ketchup or dealing some water from the bottle?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The water

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Totally the water. I'd rather scrape nine gallons of ketchup off than deal with half a half a half a teaspoon of that water.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:Totally the water. I'd rather scrape nine gallons of ketchup off than deal with half a half a half a teaspoon of that water.

Shake. The. Bottle.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote:
A_B wrote:Totally the water. I'd rather scrape nine gallons of ketchup off than deal with half a half a half a teaspoon of that water.

Shake. The. Bottle.
Oh i shake the shot out ofnkt.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So...aren't bicyclists supposed to follow stop sign rules same as if they were a car? I about killed one the other day when I was making a right turn at a four way stop and a bicyclist blasted through the sign.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was s/he driving one of those missile bikes?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:So...aren't bicyclists supposed to follow stop sign rules same as if they were a car? I about killed one the other day when I was making a right turn at a four way stop and a bicyclist blasted through the sign.
They're supposed to but they never, ever do.

ETA: Actually it varies on the road and if there are dedicated bike lanes, etc. but if for self-preservation if not anything they should. Bike riders here have a bizarre sense of entitlement despite getting run over on the regular, almost always accidentally because of high walls and blind spots in intersections.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Was s/he driving one of those missile bikes?
He was going pretty quick, but I didn't notice.

And I had a situation the other day where I was going straight at a 4 way stop on a fairly large street - one that has a bike lane even - and I stop, a cyclist blasts by me also going straight. I was in no danger of hitting him as we were both going straight but I did roll my window down and scream at him to obey stop signs as I went past. No clue if he heard me or if he had headphones in or whatever but I felt better.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote:

And I had a situation the other day where I was going straight at a 4 way stop on a fairly large street - one that has a bike lane even - and I stop, a cyclist blasts by me also going straight. I was in no danger of hitting him as we were both going straight but I did roll my window down and scream at him to obey stop signs as I went past. No clue if he heard me or if he had headphones in or whatever but I felt better.
Well if he had headphones on he was also violating the law. Just like behind the wheel you can't have headphones on (most states is is both, so you can do the one ear thing). I love when I see a driver with the very noticeable white ear buds and cords behind the wheel.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I checked and it looks like in Kentucky at least bikes are supposed to follow all traffic laws. Idaho has a rule that they can yield at stop signs, which apparently was hot button enough that it has its own wikipedia page.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:I checked and it looks like in Kentucky at least bikes are supposed to follow all traffic laws. Idaho has a rule that they can yield at stop signs, which apparently was hot button enough that it has its own wikipedia page.
In Nevada you have to yield for bikes even at stop signs in dedicated, painted bike lanes but those only exist mostly in the city center. Otherwise, the law is the same as Kentucky as far as I know.

ETA: In other words they can blow through stop signs if they're in a painted bike lane.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I got a ticket on my bike for running a stop sign in college. While the officer was writing the $50 ticket four other riders proceeded to blow right through the same sign. That was a good day for me.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote:

That bolded part matters. If he didn't create a danger, what's your beef? Yell at that other guy.

Around here cyclists obey 4-way stops, when cars are present, 90% of the time? But it's the other ten percent that infuriates.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
A_B wrote:

That bolded part matters. If he didn't create a danger, what's your beef? Yell at that other guy.

Around here cyclists obey 4-way stops, when cars are present, 90% of the time? But it's the other gen percent that infuriates.
My beef is he didn't obey the law.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

But lots of people disobey the law.

I think it's the feeling that the biker is getting away with something that causes a lot of resentment - like being stopped in freeway traffic while a motorcycle drives up between the cars. It just drives me nuts, but it really wouldn't make me any better off if the motorcycle waited in line with the rest of us.

If I'm riding and I get to a situation where traffic is stopped, I just get into the middle of lane and do the same as the cars do. But I will also try, if possible, to avoid stopping, since it is a pain to unclip from the pedals and to give up my momentum.

That being said, if a biker blows through a stop sign across your path, making you jam on your brakes or risking an accident, then he's being an asshole.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I get it. You're a cyclist. It didn't matter that time. I bet thaty isn't wh only time he did something similar. I'm ok to disagree
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[+] spoiler
AB is drunk!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Not at all. Just a really bAd phone typist. Which I'm on be record about. Just like my stop sign pet peeve.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh sor. Ry I did not realize That i dont always post on week. ends
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I think a part of the issue is that the cyclist who screams his/her head off at your traffic infraction is the same one who blows through the stop sign without giving a shit about the cars already stopped at the intersection. If you want to ride in the street and be treated "like a car", you need to act "like a car", as well.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
A_B wrote:

Around here cyclists obey 4-way stops, when cars are present, 90% of the time? But it's the other gen percent that infuriates.
My beef is he didn't obey the law.
Do you yell at every car that makes a rolling stop? I'd get hoarse.