Guns: Infinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Guns: Infinity

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Just a reminder that no matter what ends up being the case in the Brigham & Women's Hospital shooting today, its simply an isolated incident in a series of isolated incidents that don't indicate an obvious larger problem and now is not the time to discuss gun culture and gun control because that's disrespectful to those involved, even if they think it should be discussed. Thank you.
Exactly. "The Left is using this tragedy to to force their agenda 'down our throats' ." Well guess what, there is a shooting incident so fucking often, it will always be too soon after the previous one to discuss the issue.

While I am venting on the gun issue, I am fed up with argument that Chicago and DC have the strictest gun laws in the country, and the highest amount of violent crimes using guns. No regard for cause and effect here, or taking into account the populations of the cities/towns they are comparing. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there were more gun related crimes in Chicago than other municipalities prior to Chicago having strict gun laws. My views on guns are pretty centrist, but the lack of ability to use some critical thought drives me nuts.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's a good story to share any time someone says the world would be a better place if everyone was armed.
Meyers was taking her 15-year-old daughter home from a driving lesson in the school parking lot when a man behind them sped up and drove alongside their vehicle, the teen told police.

The daughter said she reached over and honked the horn. The man stopped in front of their vehicle, got out and approached Meyers with angry words, police said.

Meyers went home and sent her daughter inside the house before she and her armed, adult son, Brandon Meyers, went looking for the vehicle, police said.

They apparently found the vehicle and followed it before heading home, where the vehicle then approached and someone inside opened fire, police said.

Brandon Meyers fired back, and Tammy Meyers was hit in the head during the exchange, police said.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Here's a good story to share any time someone says the world would be a better place if everyone was armed.
Meyers was taking her 15-year-old daughter home from a driving lesson in the school parking lot when a man behind them sped up and drove alongside their vehicle, the teen told police.

The daughter said she reached over and honked the horn. The man stopped in front of their vehicle, got out and approached Meyers with angry words, police said.

Meyers went home and sent her daughter inside the house before she and her armed, adult son, Brandon Meyers, went looking for the vehicle, police said.

They apparently found the vehicle and followed it before heading home, where the vehicle then approached and someone inside opened fire, police said.

Brandon Meyers fired back, and Tammy Meyers was hit in the head during the exchange, police said.

You know, I have no sympathy for these people.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have a little but not very much, no. Just about everyone involved is a dipshit on some level.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:I have a little but not very much, no. Just about everyone involved is a dipshit on some level.
Naw. She went back to her house, got her son and his gun, then went searching for the other car. She was trying pretty damned hard to escalate to assault with a gun, even if just a threat. You go searching for a gun standoff and get shot, fuck off, you deserve the bullet in your brain. And what kind of a person gets their son involved? Best case scenario, you are telling your son to commit a felony. Nice people.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
brian wrote:I have a little but not very much, no. Just about everyone involved is a dipshit on some level.
Naw. She went back to her house, got her son and his gun, then went searching for the other car. She was trying pretty damned hard to escalate to assault with a gun, even if just a threat. You go searching for a gun standoff and get shot, fuck off, you deserve the bullet in your brain. And what kind of a person gets their son involved? Best case scenario, you are telling your son to commit a felony. Nice people.
100% agree. The world is not a worse place today because of this.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shot to death by your tits.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:Shot to death by your tits.
Now friends and family are mourning the loss of the vivacious woman with a fun sense of humor. In an online obituary, the family wrote, "she was a light to the world and will be missed."
She must have had a "fun sense of humor," because I'm laughing my ass off.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That Las Vegas story was mentioned on AFN Radio as part of a news spot and we talked about it a bit at work. That whole story is just ridiculous. And I agree with the implied notion that really it only happens that way because guns are a thing.

But what sucks is the rational humans that need to protect against crazy need guns themselves. My intent post-military is to retire in the US. But seriously, I have 6 and a half years before I trult have to decide anything.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:That Las Vegas story was mentioned on AFN Radio as part of a news spot and we talked about it a bit at work. That whole story is just ridiculous. And I agree with the implied notion that really it only happens that way because guns are a thing.

But what sucks is the rational humans that need to protect against crazy need guns themselves. My intent post-military is to retire in the US. But seriously, I have 6 and a half years before I trult have to decide anything.
Can I get an irony determination up in here? Experience life abroad through your service to the US, you know, doing your patriotic duty and all, has you thinking about leaving the country. In a realistic view (sometimes called 'Murica-hating commie Nazi Liberalism), this makes perfect sense, but in the "'Murica, fuck yeah!" uber-Patriot military worshipper point of view, I think it meets the irony threshold.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not exactly the Super Murica-Loving Patriot you may think. That Facebook page is done out of sarcasm, and the level of ex-pats around the world is a lot more than you'd realize.

But I agree. There is irony in the general scheme of things. The thought that one would get a sense of pride for being able to see other countries and return knowing he/she lives in the best one is expected. The reality is the opposite occurs.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:I'm not exactly the Super Murica-Loving Patriot you may think. That Facebook page is done out of sarcasm, and the level of ex-pats around the world is a lot more than you'd realize.

But I agree. There is irony in the general scheme of things. The thought that one would get a sense of pride for being able to see other countries and return knowing he/she lives in the best one is expected. The reality is the opposite occurs.
Seriously Johnnie, after 10 years (holy fuck, 10 years?) of reading your posts, listening to your podcast and reading your Facebook posts, you really think I don't realize your Murica page is satire? I just meant from the POV of the hardcore America Exceptionalism gun toting, US Military loving crowd, this would be ironic. Fuck, it I was in the military, it would make me hate everything associated to the military.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't mean for that to come across as overbearing! Don't taze me, bro!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:I didn't mean for that to come across as overbearing! Don't taze me, bro!
I didn't mean to either. I can see how my last post could be read as antagonistic, but more of a c'mon man.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I thought this was a really funny comedy routine.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This looks like a PHENOMENAL idea:

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/nation/2 ... /27390053/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ugh.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is this where we talk about those biker thugs?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:Is this where we talk about those biker thugs?
Never change, Waco.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/18/us/mo ... texas.html

The picture in that article is insane. Those dudes just had an Old West style shootout, but the cops are letting them chat on their phones and the cop guarding them is LOOKING THE OTHER WAY!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Probably standing lookout for any black dudes wandering by.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Off the top of my head, it feels like the coverage of this would be slightly different if that was black dudes opening up in a mall on each other...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Waco in the 2010s must be a delight.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The cops were probably just big Sons of Anarchy fans.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The pictures of the bikers checking their cell phones post-shootout are pretty ridiculous, but is it possible the outrage is a bit manufactured? 192 people were arrested. Police have been detaining any motorcyclists who roll into town on sight. Tear gas wouldn't be appropriate when trying to detain a crowd. The National Guard was called into Ferguson after days of unrest. I completely get the point on the application of the word "thug", but these guys are a bunch of actual gang members, who are being described as such.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Waco...where even austin people think you are a little off
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

No bystanders killed or injured, only dead are bikers? Gotta give some credit for that (for good aim, and to Darwin.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

no joke, people down here are just chalking it up to people in texas meaning to kill what they aim at. hooray for southern accuracy?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TT2.0 wrote:no joke, people down here are just chalking it up to people in texas meaning to kill what they aim at. hooray for southern accuracy?
I'm also thinking that if I pulled up to Twin Peaks to watch some basketball and see some boobies and saw a parking lot full of bikes, I'd probably just move on to somewhere else. There probably wasn't a whole lot of non-bikers in that place.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A couple weeks ago, I was driving on the coast with my daughter and her friend. We pulled into a sleepy little fishing village to get some fish and chips, and we're quite surprised to find ourselves driving through an assemblage of 20 or more bikers wearing colors and looking like extras from Sons of Anarchy. Apparently a funeral for one of them was getting ready to begin. The girls were quite amused. I was just trying to drive very carefully. Scary looking dudes.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I just hope there is no further damage to the Twin Peaks brand.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:A couple weeks ago, I was driving on the coast with my daughter and her friend. We pulled into a sleepy little fishing village to get some fish and chips, and we're quite surprised to find ourselves driving through an assemblage of 20 or more bikers wearing colors and looking like extras from Sons of Anarchy. Apparently a funeral for one of them was getting ready to begin. The girls were quite amused. I was just trying to drive very carefully. Scary looking dudes.
I've previously elaborated on my involvement in a bar fight in a California town that had been taken over by biker gangs the night before a rodeo. I'm curious about what town you had your encounter in?

I had a friendly encounter in southern Indiana when my oldest daughter was three or so. As we came out of an ice cream parlor early one summer's even, there were several bikers parked outside. One of them was working on his engine with a few companions looking on, tools spread out beside the bike. Daughter #1 one rambled right over, picked up a nice shiny wrench, and tap-tap-tapped on the engine case.

I moved quickly to the scene, wondering if my third interaction with a group of bikers would prove to be the fatal one. And how ironic it would be to go out with a cherry-vanilla cone in my hand, rather than a broken beer bottle or a baseball-bat sized two-by-four, like the other times.

Fortunately, the gods were with me. The large, long-haired guy with the bandana and leather jacket took no offense. Could be that he was angry with the engine and though it deserved a hammering. We moved to a somewhat safer distance and consumed our cones while watching the fascinating drama.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:A couple weeks ago, I was driving on the coast with my daughter and her friend. We pulled into a sleepy little fishing village to get some fish and chips, and we're quite surprised to find ourselves driving through an assemblage of 20 or more bikers wearing colors and looking like extras from Sons of Anarchy. Apparently a funeral for one of them was getting ready to begin. The girls were quite amused. I was just trying to drive very carefully. Scary looking dudes.
I've previously elaborated on my involvement in a bar fight in a California town that had been taken over by biker gangs the night before a rodeo. I'm curious about what town you had your encounter in?
It was Moss Landing. On Highway 1, about 20 miles north of Monterrey.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My guess was Half Moon Bay (not so little and sleepy now days I suppose.) Bikers used to love that place.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, Half Moon Bay isn't as small or as sleepy as it used to be.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:
DC47 wrote:
Close to the artichoke capital of the world!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:
DC47 wrote:I've previously elaborated on my involvement in a bar fight in a California town that had been taken over by biker gangs the night before a rodeo. I'm curious about what town you had your encounter in?
My bar fight incident was in Hollister, about 30 minutes inland.

I had never been within 10 yards of a biker, much less the only anglo in a bar with 40 or so who decided to engage in some recreational bashing with pool cues and chairs. When the action erupted, I had the good fortune to be engaged in an interesting conversation at the bar about the life of a member of a Mexican (the hyphen stuff was for collegiate types back then) biker gang member.

It was an illuminating evening for a lad of nineteen. That's what I was after in the '70s. But I never knew when it was coming. In between the moments of illumination were long spells of boredom and fear.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And visions of when I lived in Salinas for a couple years as a kid are coming back to me.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

When did you live there, and what was it like?