Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Johnnie »

Holy continuation issues between season 2 & 3. Damn writer's strike.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

anyone watching either Crisis or Growing Up Fisher? I'm recording both but haven't started either. Not sure when I am ever going to get around to them, but Crisis looked really good from the commercials and I heard the creator of Fisher (DJ Nash) on a podcast a while back, and the show sounded like it had a ton of potential to be funny. Crisis reminds me of Flash Forward, which looked so cool and ended up being the biggest disappointment. Man that show started off so amazing then turned so annoying and stupid.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Community has been in a really nice groove with Dan Harmon back.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote:Community has been in a really nice groove with Dan Harmon back.
Agreed. Although I felt like I missed out on a ton of inside stuff last week, having never played D&D.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Community has been in a really nice groove with Dan Harmon back.
Agreed. Although I felt like I missed out on a ton of inside stuff last week, having never played D&D.
Did you see the first D & D episode from a few years ago? It was brilliant, and accessible for anyone D & D familiar or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
Did you see the first D & D episode from a few years ago? It was brilliant, and accessible for anyone D & D familiar or not.
I did, and this one was great too, I just lacked the reference points that D&D gamers would have enjoyed.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

More of a Catan guy, huh?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

tennbengal wrote:Did you see the first D & D episode from a few years ago? It was brilliant, and accessible for anyone D & D familiar or not.
Well, it wasn't accessible for Pierce
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote:anyone watching either Crisis or Growing Up Fisher? I'm recording both but haven't started either. Not sure when I am ever going to get around to them, but Crisis looked really good from the commercials and I heard the creator of Fisher (DJ Nash) on a podcast a while back, and the show sounded like it had a ton of potential to be funny. Crisis reminds me of Flash Forward, which looked so cool and ended up being the biggest disappointment. Man that show started off so amazing then turned so annoying and stupid.
I'm watching Crisis...it's an interesting plot with questionable acting. I don't want to give anything away but I think it's worth watching the first couple episodes to see if you like it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:anyone watching either Crisis or Growing Up Fisher? I'm recording both but haven't started either. Not sure when I am ever going to get around to them, but Crisis looked really good from the commercials and I heard the creator of Fisher (DJ Nash) on a podcast a while back, and the show sounded like it had a ton of potential to be funny. Crisis reminds me of Flash Forward, which looked so cool and ended up being the biggest disappointment. Man that show started off so amazing then turned so annoying and stupid.
I'm watching Crisis...it's an interesting plot with questionable acting. I don't want to give anything away but I think it's worth watching the first couple episodes to see if you like it.

Thanks. I'm a huge fan of questionable acting, so this should be right up my alley. The premise seems pretty cool, so I'll give it a go. The DVR is pretty low at the moment, so I should be able to keep them for a while.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just discovered The Kroll Show so far, very funny.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Pruitt wrote:Just discovered The Kroll Show so far, very funny.

The Kroll Show is great. I think my favorite character is either C-zar (or however you spell it) or Dr. Armand
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't like it just cause I think he's weird looking.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

PubLIZity! - It's based off our names!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:I don't like it just cause I think he's weird looking.
Amy Poehler apparently disagrees with you.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Roger Bennett (from Men in Blazers) refers to Kroll as his brother in law. Google doesn't think either is enough of a celeb to provide an article detailing how they're related, but Kroll dating Poehler means that Mrs. B is Kroll's sister.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I don't like it just cause I think he's weird looking.
Amy Poehler apparently disagrees with you.
It's inexplicable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Amy Poehler is only comedian hot, not actual hot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Last episode of Psych is on tonight on USA, after an eight-year run, and our household has to move on. Personally, I rarely sat down and watched a full episode, but for the last few years, my wife and (especially) my daughter dvr'd the show and the reruns and it seemed like it was on our tv all the time. I'm sure they'll still watch the reruns, but it won't be the same. The basic structure and plots were standard tv fare, but the silliness, wittiness and punnery were all pretty good (especially how they regularly make fun of CBS's The Mentalist, which is fairly obviously a less-funny ripoff of Psych.) The SF Chronic had a good eulogy for the show in today's fishwrap.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit Boyd Crowder...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:Holy shit Boyd Crowder...
I didn't catch what was going on until he tossed the pack since they haven't made a big deal about his explosives expertise lately. Holey shit is more like it.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Why do a lot of shows have aftershows now? Talking Dead was cool when the Governor was on it and shit was crazy, but I haven't watched it for this last half of season four because the episodes have been lame. Also, I understand why they asked Hardwick to do an aftershow for the final half of Breaking Bad, that show kicked ass! But now Bates Motel has one and so does Psych, and I'm sure there are others but i probably don't watch those shows. Bates Motel is way better than I thought it would be but I don't need an after show to coach me through what I just watched. And Psych? I watch that when i feel like watching something dumb and goofy, i definitely don't need an aftershow for that. I think people are gambling on the popularity of the talking dead, and they are going to lose.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

AMC has precious little other programming to throw on there. And Chris Hardwicke works cheap. The others--just imitation, which is easier than original thinking. Safer for you job in tv, and in most other things.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

TheHumanComa wrote:Why do a lot of shows have aftershows now? Talking Dead was cool when the Governor was on it and shit was crazy, but I haven't watched it for this last half of season four because the episodes have been lame. Also, I understand why they asked Hardwick to do an aftershow for the final half of Breaking Bad, that show kicked ass! But now Bates Motel has one and so does Psych, and I'm sure there are others but i probably don't watch those shows. Bates Motel is way better than I thought it would be but I don't need an after show to coach me through what I just watched. And Psych? I watch that when i feel like watching something dumb and goofy, i definitely don't need an aftershow for that. I think people are gambling on the popularity of the talking dead, and they are going to lose.
The Psych aftershow was a one time celebratory thing after the final episode, with the show now shutting down for good.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Anyone else think that Portlandia has gone from consistently amusing to fairly witless?

Three straight weak/annoying episodes means one more shot. Life is too short to waste time on self-indulgent comedy.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote:Anyone else think that Portlandia has gone from consistently amusing to fairly witless?

Three straight weak/annoying episodes means one more shot. Life is too short to waste time on self-indulgent comedy.
I haven't watched this season, but have always felt they tread(ed? trod?) that line.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote:
I didn't catch what was going on until he tossed the pack since they haven't made a big deal about his explosives expertise lately. Holey shit is more like it.
Is there a show on TV with a better set of part-time/supporting characters? Can they find a way to fit in a little more Dickie Bennett next season? Give me a season of his adventures in prison instead of Ava's.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Anyone else think that Portlandia has gone from consistently amusing to fairly witless?

I haven't watched this season, but have always felt they tread(ed? trod?) that line.
Yeah, I felt that way during season 1 and never went back to it.

Sadly, the one I cannot let go is The Simpsons. No matter how bad it gets, I still can't take it off the DVR list.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yo La Tengo will be performing on the Parks and Rec "Unity Concert" episode.

Though not as Yo La Tengo. They'll be playing Bobby Knight Ranger, a band that wearing red IU sweaters and covers Night Ranger songs.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did they bring Berman in to consult on that script?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:
Giff wrote:
Is there a show on TV with a better set of part-time/supporting characters? Can they find a way to fit in a little more Dickie Bennett next season? Give me a season of his adventures in prison instead of Ava's.
I kinda wish Boyd's right-hand man had more screentime. But I agree. Nearly everyone they introduce is compelling in some way.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Inside the Actor's Studio with the cast of HIMYM. Pretty funny. BTW, I think the surprise sad thing is going to be Lilly dying.

-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Haven't they shown her too many times as an older lady in the future for that to be it?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:Haven't they shown her too many times as an older lady in the future for that to be it?

But would those scenes be in the future from the time Bob Saget is telling Ted's kids the story?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think most of the future has been 2030, the death/daughter wedding scene took place in 2040.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote:Haven't they shown her too many times as an older lady in the future for that to be it?

But would those scenes be in the future from the time Bob Saget is telling Ted's kids the story?
I think so. Some of them showed her and Marshall very old.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That was my thought.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not really, but she's so damn cute.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

That ending really fucking pisses me off.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:That ending really fucking pisses me off.
I haven't watched the show in three years or so - when it stopped being funny, and started to focus more on the personalities and relationships.

My wife decided to watch the episode tonight, and I had to run downstairs because she was shrieking at the TV: "Are you fucking kidding me?!" Honest to God, I haven't seen her that mad in a few years. I asked her what happened on the show and with a look of rage, she threw the remote against the floor and stormed out.

Took 20 minutes or so to get the story out of her, and even though I don't give a shit about the show, it pissed me off too.

In class today, I joked that someone would die on the episode. Now, the old professor looks like a genius.

But what a crappy way to end a series. Why not just have a sappy wedding and be done with it?