USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Post by tennbengal »

That certainly seems promising, especially with the young core we have now. There's not the usual urgency to find better options for 75% of the roster so this will allow him to build up the next wave.
Along those lines...

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That seems like a really great hire and Will is right, it all matters. The fact that we have a current system where each level is pretty much doing their own thing is bonkers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Official

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Not anything even close to resembling an expert, but this seems not great.

“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Maybe the intel they had sucked and he wants to start fresh (ish)
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fwiw, I like "I have a lot to learn" as an answer, as it indicates an openness to...learning.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Spending a few summers in Arkansas isn't going to exactly automatically convey a nuanced understanding of the US player pool. I'm not saying it's great he hadn't done some homework on that front, but he seems pretty ready to crack the books and look under the hood.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:26 pm Not anything even close to resembling an expert, but this seems not great.

The press that were on that call seem to have come away from it with more questions than answers. Total Soccer Show has pretty much become my go to soccer pod, and I listened to a bit of their post-call pod about it and my TL:DR (or TL:DL, since it's a podcast) from it was similar to what the posted tweet implies. Kind of like they couldn't tell if he was unprepared or that they wanted more specific answers. They also made jokes about other reporters asking 4 part questions, so maybe it was just a shit show all around.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There are really only a handful of national reporters that cover the sport these days (and I won't get maudlin about losing one of the Mt. Rushmore figures) so you get a lot of folks on those calls that aren't really pros.

I would also add that the folks that cover and follow soccer in this country are almost uniformly negative/looking for problems. Now, Soccer House has never helped itself by being very good at PR, but still... It's why I can only listen to certain podcasts/youtube channels for a certain amount of time. The relentless negativity, even when warranted, is numbing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

U-20 World Cup Roster released. No Paxton Aaronson (team won't release him).
https://www.ussoccer.com/teams/u-20-mens-national-team

And Gooch gets a new role where he is involved in the mens coach selection.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is an exciting tournament. And I just learned that it was moved to Argentina--that's a lot better for game times.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:32 pm This is an exciting tournament. And I just learned that it was moved to Argentina--that's a lot better for game times.
Wow, 2 kids on the roster from towns less than 10 minutes from my house. Never heard about the goalie who plays at Fulham, not sure how that slipped past me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:36 pm
Rex wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:32 pm This is an exciting tournament. And I just learned that it was moved to Argentina--that's a lot better for game times.
Wow, 2 kids on the roster from towns less than 10 minutes from my house. Never heard about the goalie who plays at Fulham, not sure how that slipped past me.
Are you David De Gea?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:39 am
Woooooooow.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fabrizio and MiB have it too. 💦💦💦
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kinda funny imagining Gregg, knowing he’s likely out, seeing the US finally get that top level striker he could have slotted behind Sargent, Ferreira and Wright.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

:D
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:52 am Kinda funny imagining Gregg, knowing he’s likely out, seeing the US finally get that top level striker he could have slotted behind Sargent, Ferreira and Wright.
LOL
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Never seen him play but I've got a semi.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like this graphic ...

image.png
image.png (86.26 KiB) Viewed 458 times
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seeing as though few had heard of him before he went nuts in france on loan id temper the expectations. Goals are goals but sure does help to be in the right situation. Lets all hope he finds another right spot.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eh? Simply coming up with Arsenal is a huge positive indicator relative to most of our pool.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:21 pm Seeing as though few had heard of him before he went nuts in france on loan id temper the expectations. Goals are goals but sure does help to be in the right situation. Lets all hope he finds another right spot.
Maybe it's because I'm an Arsenal fan, but this guy has been a highly regarded talent for years. Most Arsenal fans were pissed when they signed Nketiah back and let Balogun go back on loan.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, saying no one had heard of him is a little bit parochial. I've been hearing his name for about 2 years now, and he's only 21. But I know I'm a turbonerd on this stuff.
falorin.jpg
falorin.jpg (189.26 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That is a large file!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Lots of up and coming talent don't cross the finish line (even with Arsenal Academy)...Gedion Zelalem lost his MLS spot and Danny Karbassiyoon is a scout. Lots of folks just don't become a many year goal scorer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:02 pm Lots of up and coming talent don't cross the finish line (even with Arsenal Academy)...Gedion Zelalem lost his MLS spot and Danny Karbassiyoon is a scout. Lots of folks just don't become a many year goal scorer.
Yeah, I'm trying hard to contain my excitement, seen way too many potential stars vanish and become Freddie Adu, Juan Agudelo, Brek Shea, Bobby Convey, Eddie Gaven... I know this is different since he came through the Arsenal Academy and had success in French Ligue 1 as opposed to being a kid out of high school playing MLS, but still, these guys rarely pan out and reach their potential.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Even if he backslides some from this year isn’t he still an absolute lock starter up front? This seems less kid we’re all dreaming on and more “oh shit, we get this existing player?!?”.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:59 pm Even if he backslides some from this year isn’t he still an absolute lock starter up front? This seems less kid we’re all dreaming on and more “oh shit, we get this existing player?!?”.
Yes, very much this. Instant starting #9 for the USMMT, a position we desperately need.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:10 pm
mister d wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:59 pm Even if he backslides some from this year isn’t he still an absolute lock starter up front? This seems less kid we’re all dreaming on and more “oh shit, we get this existing player?!?”.
Yes, very much this. Instant starting #9 for the USMMT, a position we desperately need.
Yeah, totally agree, just don't want to set myself up for disappointment yet again. He is a proven commodity at a fairly high level. Just need to keep in mind, he switched from England because he can't get a sniff of a call up in England.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:10 pm
Yeah, totally agree, just don't want to set myself up for disappointment yet again. He is a proven commodity at a fairly high level. Just need to keep in mind, he switched from England because he can't get a sniff of a call up in England.
Perfectly fine with someone who can't, at 21, unseat Harry Kane.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

When it comes to patriotism/national pull, it's very hard to say a decision like this is a no-brainer.

But... Asking a young man on the cusp of greatness "to be patient" is a lot. This guy is looking at waiting out a complete cycle for ENG, when his other viable option is HOSTING the freakin' WC in a few years.

The time is now.

(The fact that the USMNT fanbase love-bombing this guy while he was in Orlando played any kind of role in all of this is epic. Kind of harkens back to the old days when Sams Army showed up and started really making an impact in-stadium. Fans can make a difference, which is a lovely, almost idyllic notion.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Owen Wolff (son of Josh)...scored on 90+2 for a 1-0 win in the U20 world cup opener
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just watched the highlights... Jonathan Gomez with the goal, Wolffe with the helper.

Incredible finish. Put Gomez on the "huh, let's see where this goes" list for the upcoming summer. That dude is a stud.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I saw almost the whole game. Even though the goal was very late, I thought the US thoroughly deserved it. And I'm assuming that Ecuador is one of the stronger teams in the field--they've been pumping out some good talent.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fiji playing astonishingly low block. Almost unwatchable, but there's almost no chance the US doesn't score at some point.

Really shitty tactical approach. Hoping that you luck box into a 0-0 draw is pretty lame.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Apropos of not much, somebody on the US Soccer Reddit wrote this about the Oceania qualifying tournament and, well, I’ve never been more grateful for CONCACAF. This is amazing.