Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Jerloma »

This chick sings a song about the Voyager spacecraft and it's like...really, really good.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Las Vegas' own. Yeah, she's awesome.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really really like the new Spoon.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brooklyn Bowl is in Vegas? Wait a sec, I've been to Brooklyn Bowl, it's in Williamsburg. Brooklyn.

(There's one in London now too. Bowling and Rock n Roll, poised to take over the world.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And now I have Camper Van Beethoven stuck in my head.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Bro Country is nails on chalkboard, even when it's making fun of Bro Country.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Probably their best known tune, and my least favorite (yep, still a deep hipster despite my advance age. So ima gunna link a better song than Take the Skinheads Bowling):

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would argue "Pictures of Matchstick Men" (though a cover) is better known.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jerloma wrote:This chick sings a song about the Voyager spacecraft and it's like...really, really good.

Yeah, this album is getting a ton of rave reviews. As is the new Spoon. I probably wrote it before, but Spoon just hasn't gotten to me yet. I know the hits, and for whatever reason, they don't do much for me. I'll give the new album a listen before I see them during a festival set, and report back afterwards.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm on a major Wolf Parade kick these days and I would very much like them to reunite.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Giff wrote:
brian wrote:Got free tix to Deer Tick at Brooklyn Bowl tonight. Who's in?
So, did you see what's at Brooklyn Bowl on 9/20? I bet you'd pay me not to have to go!
Ha, nice! Sounds a win-win if you want to see the place. I didn't read close enough but I assume it's free cover. If not I can almost definitely guarantee you free tix.
Awesome! (missed this last night)

Anyone check out Spanish Gold? It's got dudes from My Morning Jacket, Grupo Fantasma and Hacienda. They're debut is pretty awesome.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:I'm on a major Wolf Parade kick these days and I would very much like them to reunite.
Ordered an Apologies to Queen Mary LP the other day. Back-order with no expected delivery date. Killing me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You hear anything by Operators (Boeckner) yet? So far, so good.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:I would argue "Pictures of Matchstick Men" (though a cover) is better known.
I blame Michael Moore for the renown of "Take the Skinheads Bowling". I love their version of "Matchstick Men". The violin screeches!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote:Looking forward to checking out the new Tom Petty as well as the new Jenny Lewis today. New Spoon next week!!
Ordered a vinyl copy yesterday, which comes with digital downloads (FLAC and mp3). Listening to the hell out of it, like this was 1978 and I just brought home You're Gonna Get It. Over and over. Man this guy is great.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:
Giff wrote:Looking forward to checking out the new Tom Petty as well as the new Jenny Lewis today. New Spoon next week!!
Ordered a vinyl copy yesterday, which comes with digital downloads (FLAC and mp3). Listening to the hell out of it, like this was 1978 and I just brought home You're Gonna Get It. Over and over. Man this guy is great.
I feel like Petty doesn't get the credit he deserves, but dude has had a hell of a career.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Popped in the disc today, driving around the island. I really like Fault Lines so far.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Didn't know where to put this, but holy fuck is Bob Weir looking old.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Didn't know where to put this, but holy fuck is Bob Weir looking old.

Here's to him feeling better soon. I'm hoping it's just exhaustion and not something else that led him to cancel all the forthcoming dates.

Wishing for a big celebratory tour next summer for the 50th anniversary of the greatest dance band to ever play.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He looks just like my brother in-law's dad.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Really digging the new Jenny Lewis album. At times, she looks a lot like Katie Aselton to me.

Jenny

Katie
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's who I was thinking of when she was on Fallon. Great album.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote:Wishing for a big celebratory tour next summer for the 50th anniversary of the greatest dance band to ever play.
Sha Na Na?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Wishing for a big celebratory tour next summer for the 50th anniversary of the greatest dance band to ever play.
Sha Na Na?
Ha! They did play Woodstock.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So, I drove 3 hours the other day in a vehicle with not AUX input and bad radio coverage, so I listened to the CDS the car's owner had. One of them was Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I've always liked the Beach Boys, but this is the first time I've listened to a whole album at once probably. And I can say without feeling bad about it that the Beach Boys were twice the band that the Beatles were. Their harmonies and melodies were off the charts good and the musicianship is better than the Beatles as well (George Harrison's Guitar playing excepted when he gets to shine on songs like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun"

The Beach Boys lyrics, while sometimes overly poppy, also were pretty damn good.

So there, I've said it...the BEach Boys are better than the Beatles.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:So, I drove 3 hours the other day in a vehicle with not AUX input and bad radio coverage, so I listened to the CDS the car's owner had. One of them was Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I've always liked the Beach Boys, but this is the first time I've listened to a whole album at once probably. And I can say without feeling bad about it that the Beach Boys were twice the band that the Beatles were. Their harmonies and melodies were off the charts good and the musicianship is better than the Beatles as well (George Harrison's Guitar playing excepted when he gets to shine on songs like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun"

The Beach Boys lyrics, while sometimes overly poppy, also were pretty damn good.

I think you can make a solid case that "Pet Sounds" is superior to any album the Beatles ever put out. (Some people might even argue the greatest of all-time, again that's a defensible opinion). However, I think you could also make a case that the Beatles total output was better than the Beach Boys.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Digging the new Gaslight Anthem album.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB_skin_test wrote:So, I drove 3 hours the other day in a vehicle with not AUX input and bad radio coverage, so I listened to the CDS the car's owner had. One of them was Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I've always liked the Beach Boys, but this is the first time I've listened to a whole album at once probably. And I can say without feeling bad about it that the Beach Boys were twice the band that the Beatles were. Their harmonies and melodies were off the charts good and the musicianship is better than the Beatles as well (George Harrison's Guitar playing excepted when he gets to shine on songs like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun"

God Only Knows is a perfect song. Lots of other very good to great songs on Pet Sounds as well.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I can't stop listening to They Voyager. It's an album full of 8s, one 10 (The Voyager), and one 5 (You Can't Outrun 'Em).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

AB_skin_test wrote:So there, I've said it...the BEach Boys are better than the Beatles.
This is the hottest of hot takes.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:

I think you can make a solid case that "Pet Sounds" is superior to any album the Beatles ever put out. (Some people might even argue the greatest of all-time, again that's a defensible opinion). However, I think you could also make a case that the Beatles total output was better than the Beach Boys.
This. Pet Sounds is leaps and bounds better than any other album that the Beach Boys put out (Smile, the Brian Wilson follow up isn't bad either) but the sum of the Beatles is way better...and I think Sgt. Peppers and Revolver are in the running for best rock album ever (with PS.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I used to regularly violate an unspoken taboo and play Beach Boys tapes in the two social scenes I was a part of in mid 70s California-- construction workers and hippies. This was equally unpopular with both.

I think it was a case image interfered with hearing. The Beach Boys were thought of as a surfer band due to their early 60s string of hits. But what I was playing wasn't that music. It was Pet Sounds, Holland, and their early 70s concert album. There wasn't much Fun, Fun, Fun in this music. Just as there wasn't much Yeah, Yeah, Yeah in the later Beatles albums. As did Lennon and McCartney, Brian Wilson mastered the simple pop of his time and produced masterpieces in that genre. Then they all grew up musically and produced something equally brilliant but in a different, more sophisticated musical world.

People got this about the Beatles, but few gathered that the Beach Boys were doing the same thing. It could be that this was because only Brian Wilson was making the trip in the Beach Boys, and that they were still playing their surf hits when they toured. Their record label put out incessant "hits" packages that also featured the earlier sound.

Regarding musicianship, I think the Beatles were underrated. They could really play. Lennon was a fine rhythm guitar player, McCartney played some beautiful bass lines, Harrison was a sound lead player if not much of an improviser, and they harmonized like the Everly Brothers younger siblings. Ringo was the obvious weak link, and he wasn't as bad as most believed.

The Beach Boys had the great advantage of having the famed Wrecking Crew play on most of their early albums. Glen Campbell and Leon Russell were the names that became famous, but I suspect many here know of the others who were part of this group of studio musicians who made so many of the pop hits that came out of LA in the 60s sound so damn good. Everything worked when they were in the studio. Not just the basic tracks, but they were terrific at finding little things that made the overall sound much more interesting. When I was a kid I used to listen to Motown albums and focus just on the backing parts. They were often sublime. I didn't know who those guys were, but I liked what they were doing. I didn't realize at the time that they had equally sublime peers on the LA pop music I also liked.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pet Sounds is one of those classic albums that just never did it for me. It's always ranked as a Top 5 All Time album and I like the Beach Boys OK, but that album just doesn't blow me away.

And of course, that's Eric Clapton, not George Harrison, playing the main guitar solo on While My Guitar Gently Sleeps.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:Pet Sounds is one of those classic albums that just never did it for me. It's always ranked as a Top 5 All Time album and I like the Beach Boys OK, but that album just doesn't blow me away.

And of course, that's Eric Clapton, not George Harrison, playing the main guitar solo on While My Guitar Gently Sleeps.
Yes, but all the guitar work on that song is excellent. Really good two guitar work.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote:And of course, that's Eric Clapton, not George Harrison, playing the main guitar solo on While My Guitar Gently Sleeps.
The amazing thing is that he played that solo while actually having his dick in Pattie Boyd!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Man, I just can't stand the Beach Boys.

Something about them really shredded my nerves as a kid. (They were already an oldies act back then).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:Man, I just can't stand the Beach Boys.

Something about them really shredded my nerves as a kid. (They were already an oldies act back then).
This is a not unusual feeling. I felt the same way. Then I listened (really listened, from beginning to end) to Pet Sounds and my mind was blown.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They remind me of going to the beach as a kid because my dad would always play their tapes, so I think I have the same inherent "not real music" bias without the dislike. I remember being stunned freshman year of college when a musician friend listed Pet Sounds among the greatest albums ever. Never had a clue, just thought they were the Monkees on surfboards.