Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d »

Resigned to this being in my brain for the rest of my life:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was looking for a meme that has nothing to do with this but I liked it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Starting to come around that the Taylor Swift/Justin Vernon pairing on “exile” (yes I know it’s a year old) is one of the most genius in music history.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:03 am Starting to come around that the Taylor Swift/Justin Vernon pairing on “exile” (yes I know it’s a year old) is one of the most genius in music history.
Nicholson nodding gif
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I prefer Renegade tbh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Both great
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The new song from The National, "Somebody Desperate", isn't their best but its very much them which makes me feel good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sounds like what my wife claims every song by them sounds like.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Apple music finally got me. Free for 6 months. That's plenty of time to decide I don't need it.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not gonna say I'm incurious, but more like incapable, when it comes to fully identifying samples in hiphop songs. I just don't have the breadth of knowledge necessary to even start sometimes. And I've been OK with that. For a long time. But love it when someone else wants to do the work (like KEXP does sometimes and some of you guys are nice enough to highlight), and sometimes I hear something and recognize it and get lucky enough to place it.

Like this evening when I just heard this on the radio:

And said to myself holy shit that's where this is from*:

But also heard something else familiar, and it turns out the initial track is in large part an extended jazz riff on this song:

*and further reading tells me the sample is actually from this cover of the initial track:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I'm the same; I don't have the ear or memory for this which is how I end up in these situations every few months:

mister d wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:35 pm Giff or someone ... "Old Old Fashioned" by Frightened Rabbit sounds like a Counting Crows song in the post-Recovering the Satellites era and I can't place it even looking at the titles.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Don't make fun - just discovered these guys.

This album is amazing!

From the north coast of Lake Ontario
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is that their new one? I'm surprisedly not terribly up on Mogwai, and I listen to a ton of post-rock. I've even seen them live, just haven't jumped into their discography.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This girl is incredible. I was blown away by Billie Eilish a couple of years ago, but I might be even more impressed by Olivia Rodrigo. Amazing talent in these young women.

Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dunno man. Songs are fine but dont really see her or billy eilish oozing with talent or uniqueness. Why is she in a DMV? Guess I should have listened through.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

They both wrote their debut albums before they were 18. Think of the dumb shit you were doing in high school. And both of their debut albums are really good.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:12 pm They both wrote their debut albums before they were 18. Think of the dumb shit you were doing in high school. And both of their debut albums are really good.
I'm still way more impressed by similar "prodigies" like Soccer Mommy or Lucy Dacus to be honest, but they're not writing stuff for mass audiences.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If Billie Eilish's first album was intended for mass audiences then this world is even more fucked up than I thought. Not saying it isn't good, as I quite like it, but it isn't exactly a cookie cutter pop album.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I was impressed that Eilish sounded very much not like the masses like I expected.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sure is better than JoJo Siwa!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Not really my personal cup of tea, but I will acknowledge that she's undeniably talented.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:33 pm Not really my personal cup of tea, but I will acknowledge that she's undeniably talented.
It was perfect timing for me to love it. I bet about ten or so years ago you might have loved it more too. I'd post the same thing if it wasn't for my pre-teen and this being really the first good artist she has loved.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I have a bloody nose now because some of these are, well, on the nose.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kayak.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

McSweeney's does it again.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's funny, I thought of Mr D when I read that this morning.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 pmIt's funny, I thought of Mr D when I read that this morning.
I’ve gotten it sent to me > 1 time.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I listened to Exile on Main Street yesterday (most of it anyway). Was the mix all fucked up or was it just me? Do I need better speakers? I couldn't hardly hear Mick half the time, but I didn't ahve any settings way off or high or low or whatnot. Just wondering if recording it in a seaside villa might have had something to do with the overall sound. Sticky Fingers seems like a better mixed album.

You know what, NVM...mick says it himself: "However, when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy. At the time Jimmy Miller was not functioning properly. I had to finish the whole record myself, because otherwise there were just these drunks and junkies. Of course I'm ultimately responsible for it, but it's really not good and there's no concerted effort or intention."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:03 am I listened to Exile on Main Street yesterday (most of it anyway). Was the mix all fucked up or was it just me? Do I need better speakers? I couldn't hardly hear Mick half the time, but I didn't ahve any settings way off or high or low or whatnot. Just wondering if recording it in a seaside villa might have had something to do with the overall sound. Sticky Fingers seems like a better mixed album.

You know what, NVM...mick says it himself: "However, when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy. At the time Jimmy Miller was not functioning properly. I had to finish the whole record myself, because otherwise there were just these drunks and junkies. Of course I'm ultimately responsible for it, but it's really not good and there's no concerted effort or intention."
The 2010 remaster sounds good to me (but I bet you might find those who disagree with me on an audiophile forum)..
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:03 am I listened to Exile on Main Street yesterday (most of it anyway). Was the mix all fucked up or was it just me? Do I need better speakers? I couldn't hardly hear Mick half the time, but I didn't ahve any settings way off or high or low or whatnot. Just wondering if recording it in a seaside villa might have had something to do with the overall sound. Sticky Fingers seems like a better mixed album.

I sourced that quote to a 2003 book “According to the Rolling Stones” by Dora Lowenstein & Phillip Dodd.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I've read a number of things about the Exile-era Stones. Apparently, the producer, Jimmy Miller, Keith Richards, and Bobby Keys were fucked up for most of the time they did the record.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm Yeah, I've read a number of things about the Exile-era Stones. Apparently, the producer, Jimmy Miller, Keith Richards, and Bobby Keys were fucked up for most of the time they did the record.
The three most important musicians in the history of the Rolling Stones (in no particular order) Charlie Watts, Brian Jones & Mick Taylor.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:19 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm Yeah, I've read a number of things about the Exile-era Stones. Apparently, the producer, Jimmy Miller, Keith Richards, and Bobby Keys were fucked up for most of the time they did the record.
The three most important musicians in the history of the Rolling Stones (in no particular order) Charlie Watts, Brian Jones & Mick Taylor.
Sure unless you needed someone to write the songs and lyrics.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gonna skip a retread of an earlier joke (“Ox off”) and just say that if you had just listened to that album on cassette growing up as the rock gods intended you wouldn’t notice shit like that.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:29 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:19 pm
Sure unless you needed someone to write the songs and lyrics.
I mentioned Jones because he gave them a leg-up on most of their contemporaries (multi-instrumentalist), and without Mick Taylor, setting aside the band may have ceased to exist (Richards was a junkie), he brought a level of play to the band that rivaled Clapton, Alvin Lee or Lowell George. Richards may know how to write a riff (and I guess that's half the battle), but he's really not that great of a player.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve never read that Brian Jones was a particularly great musician. I have read that they barely involved him by the end of his tenure.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Listened to a Disgraceland Podcast (highly recommend) about Black Sabbath yesterday. So I decided to fire up Paranoid afterwards. Cranked up the car's stereo and rocked out. Really cool to listed to right after the podcast mentioned how Iommi came up with their signature sound. For my money, Electric funeral is the best song on that album.

Also rocked out to a live AC/DC album. I love me some angus, but when people talk about the ACDC sound, they're usually really referring to Malcom holding down the rhythm guitar power chord heavy lifting with the old Gretsch through the Marshall. In a world full of Anguses, someone needs to be a malcolm.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Anyone else considering dumping Spotify?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.