Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by cerrano »

govmentchedda wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Size the day
That is closing in on Boom, Patents as my favorite. Love you, Cerrano and Chedda.
Is that your analysis?

come have a cuddle, syb.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I can't decide which is more ridiculous...my Uncle who went on a spree of liking the pages of Sarah Palin, Alan West, and Rand Paul, or my dipshit loser Brother-in-law (seriously...the guy got fired from working the graveyard shift at 7-11) who posted this:
Just watched a movie LAST OUNCE OF COURAGE it was the best. It shows just how many freedoms we are losing. It is a must see
Being curious, I looked up the trailer for this movie...

My god....
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fred Williamson! Awesome.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:Fred Williamson! Awesome.
And his character's nickname? Of course its "The Hammer"!

And gee....the menacing black man as the villain? Who would have guessed that?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

'Hammer' Williamson never broke out of his typecasting. His failed go at replacing Dandy Don on Monday Night Football didn't help.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I can't stop laughing at that movie trailer.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That trailer gave absolutely no insight into exactly what freedoms they're being deprived of.

And yeah...OF COURSE the ACLU lawyer is an evil, cigar-smoking black man!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:That trailer gave absolutely no insight into exactly what freedoms they're being deprived of.

And yeah...OF COURSE the ACLU lawyer is an evil, cigar-smoking black man!

In real life, ACLU attorneys can't afford cigars.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A handsome, young man of 94 years took my hand after a closing today in which he sold his home that he built for his now late wife. He told me, "You. I have met a Realtor then met another Realtor, then another. But you. You are a good one. You are a very, very, good one. Wonderful is what you are."

And he wasn't my client.

People tell me all the time, "I don't know how you do what you do."

This is how...by leaving a small stamp of love on people's souls. Having every opportunity to do so leaves me feeling grateful, even on the tougher days.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Oh. And I'm the cynic.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Jerloma wrote:
A handsome, young man of 94 years took my hand after a closing today in which he sold his home that he built for his now late wife. He told me, "You. I have met a Realtor then met another Realtor, then another. But you. You are a good one. You are a very, very, good one. Wonderful is what you are."

And he wasn't my client.

People tell me all the time, "I don't know how you do what you do."

This is how...by leaving a small stamp of love on people's souls. Having every opportunity to do so leaves me feeling grateful, even on the tougher days.

Realtor? Is it really a difficult job? Hopefully that handsome guys next step isn't an email to a Nigerian lottery winner.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Right? You'd think she worked for the fucking peace corps.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've never sold a house, but buying one was plenty stressful. I'd imagine having a real prick as a realtor* on either side would make it all the worse, and having one who is caring and knowledgeable can make it much easier.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason for her to pat herself on the back in that manner.

*my spellchecker wants that capitalized, so they must be important!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The people that say "I don't know how you do it" probably aren't meaning it in the Hospice nurse kind of way. They're probably doing it in a "you're scum and I don't know how you live with yourself" way because she's a pretentious hooker who is too self-absorbed to realize that.

Realtors can certainly make the process easier, but realtors ain't hard.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My unfair generalization is that any field where it is common to include a picture of your own face on your business card often has many self-important, conceited pricks among the group.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

bfj wrote:Image
Still not as absurd as creationist myths.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That's kind of what it sounds like to me when Lawrence Krauss starts talking about quantum physics.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Roger Federer wrote:Mirka and I are so incredibly happy to share that Leo and Lenny were born this evening! Twins...miracle!
Is it just me or does the miracle bar keep getting lower and lower?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Recently reconnected (via Facebook) with an old friend of mine - we used to be best friends in grades 5 & 6, before his family moved.

I know he's been divorced twice, and from the sound of this Mothers Day post, at least one of the divorces wasn't pretty:
Happy Mother's Day, y'all. I hope that Clara, my son's mom is having a good day. Her son remembered her today too.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm missing something.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So is Pruitt's friend's son.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:So is Pruitt's friend's son.
Seemed very bitter and passive-aggressive.

On the one hand, a break from the sickly sweet Mother's Day messages all over Facebook yesterday.

On the other hand - ouch.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I took it as absentee mother.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

So the link I just posted? I just got a message from the guy's sister asking me to take it down. I had forgotten I was friends with her. (and she's like "I don't know you that well.")
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote:So the link I just posted? I just got a message from the guy's sister asking me to take it down. I had forgotten I was friends with her. (and she's like "I don't know you that well.")

The gay mafia link?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:So the link I just posted? I just got a message from the guy's sister asking me to take it down. I had forgotten I was friends with her. (and she's like "I don't know you that well.")

The gay mafia link?
Yup
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I should probably point out I knew it was him Saturday night and it wasn't a surprise. For me, it's reading all the stories I've heard my entire life in the New York Daily News. I find that amusing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:I should probably point out I knew it was him Saturday night and it wasn't a surprise. For me, it's reading all the stories I've heard my entire life in the New York Daily News. I find that amusing.
Can you explain for those of us who didn't read your FB posts today?
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brontoburglar wrote:I should probably point out I knew it was him Saturday night and it wasn't a surprise. For me, it's reading all the stories I've heard my entire life in the New York Daily News. I find that amusing.
Don't believe I'm taken in by stories that I've heard
I just read the Daily News and swear by every word

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(They won't act as kindly if they see you on the street)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Can you explain for those of us who didn't read your FB posts today?
I'm trying to make it anonymous!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Posted by my 22 year old niece...with a 2 year old....recently separated:
Yay! I qualify for food stamps!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Long ago, in another century, there was a serious recession in northern California. The unemployment rate for young men without a college degree was quite high. I was a construction worker. In the winter, bad weather shut down most of the already modest construction activity. I did all kinds of random, off-the-books and temp work. I lived in the worst shack in town and it cost me only $60 per month. But I was one engine problem from living in the back of my VW bus.

I was damn glad that I qualified for food stamps. And forever grateful. Whatever their personal traits, I don't think that many people who use food stamps have truly gotten all that good a deal from life. It's a little bit of help for people who are right on the edge. Especially people with kids.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

yeah, that same recession, I was a college student, unable to find a summer job. At the ripe age of 22yo, I decided I was too old to go to the parental well yet again. So I bit the bullet and drove downtown to apply for the welfare and food stamps. Walked out with $50 in food stamps; used about $25 for a week's worth of groceries (including the best damn steak I've ever had in my life--must've cost $2 a pound.)

I got home, my landlord was doing some work. He was a young (~30yo) college administrator who was wisely investing his and his wife's cash in run down student housing (they are now retired very comfortably.) (He was a black UCSB alum who stayed on, was the starting tailback on their last football team.) He asked how it was going and I told him. He offered me a job on the spot--if I painted all his apartments (8) in the building next door he had just bought, I could live the summer rent free, plus ~$100 per unit.

I still have those $25 in food stamps. Just in case.

I received a call from the welfare, asking why I had not come back to pick up my check. The lady was very confused that 'I found a job and didn't need it anymore.' Her supervisor called me, twice more, trying to convince me to go on the dole. Maybe next year.

I was damn glad for those food stamps. I am even more glad I got back off that teet asap.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I got food stamps in college because I qualified one year. Work study income didn't count and I didn't own a car or a boat, which was about all they asked (welfare had a much more detailed app that food stamps didn't require to be filled out). It was $149 a month and pretty awesome.

I survived and now don't qualify because I make more than like $11,000 a year. If I did indeed still qualify, I would have a terrible life with no studio for Gunpowder.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Its the perfect life, just sit around all day and collect money I have to give them."

"Would you trade places?"

"No."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I don't think DiS thinks there's anything wrong with food stamps. It's just that you shouldn't "want" to be on food stamps or act like it's some epic achievement.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mine wasn't a statement against DiS, just general, but you could also read those words as relief.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: I would have a terrible life with no studio for Gunpowder.
It's not like he uses it.

I get pissed at all the vitriol towards food stamps. Sure, a number of people abuse it, and there are some drug dealers and other off the books earners who don't need it but get it anyways, but the idea that everyone on food stamps is taking advantage or worse, enjoy living on the dole, is ludicrous. I forget how much food stamps and welfare add up, to it is impossible to live decently off of it. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think many people enjoy living off of the government teat. I was on unemployment for a couple months between jobs, and I was embarrassed a bit at first. Maybe not embarrassed, as much as an ego hit. I know a lot of people who were on unemployment, and never felt any less of them, but still felt a hit. It helped a ton. I was able to full time job search instead of getting a menial job to cover the bills. If I had to do that, I wouldn't have had time to get a good paying job. The concept of a safety net allows people to sustain a temporary loss of job or unfortunate event and gives them the opportunity to get back on their feet. It's like an insurance policy, pay in to cover yourself if you need it. I had no problem paying in to provide the net to others, even when I was young and foolish enough to believe that I would never need it.

Without so called "entitlements," we'd have far worse problems with homelessness, poverty and crime. What really gets me, is that so many of the people decrying these programs are people who need it the most. People who are one setback away from poverty, and they are worried about the uber-wealthy saving on taxes. Same goes for the minimum wage. Minimum wage is far below the poverty line, yet the same people are concerned with companies losing money because major corporations are crying about it. Corps are bringing in record profits with executive salaries and bonuses skyrocketing, while workers wages are decreasing in real dollars. Thomas Franks nailed it with his book Pity the Billionaire. Unfortunately the presentation wasn't very well written or his Liberal bias set aside, but necessary research for sure. You know it's bad when I am bothered by a Liberal skew in political book.

Someone in my Facebook feed, Rush IIRC, commented on another friend who posted an article whining about the damage raising the minimum would cost. The overwhelming majority of comments saying crap like, "I was paid the minimum wage when it was $1.25 an hour, and nobody needed welfare or food stamps." These idiots don't get it, a loaf of bread was 10 cents and gas was 15 cents a gallon. The minimum wage was livable back then. They complete made the argument against their position without having a clue. The GOP has done a phenomenal job convincing their base to support policies completely against their own interests.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've learned that no matter the society, culture, or subculture there will always be that small, but noticeable contingent of people who will take the easy way out, cut corners, and feel like them getting something for free is supposed to happen. It's an entitled perspective.

I know this because I lived it with my mother when growing up. When I got out of the house and started earning real money (plus doing that via a military lifestyle), I realized all the times that my mother bitched about "money problems," they were self generated, but she wasn't self aware to realize it was her fault she was the way she was.

Any attempt to make that clear was met with the same tired, bullshit excuses of why she couldn't work and a swan song to all of the hardships she endured that brought her to that point in time. She had kids! Her childhood sucked! She has arthritis! I have to make sure the house looks nice! And after my dad passed: I'm a widow! Just everything she ever went through you'd think she was the first to go through it. And having only my dad working to earn money was what set me off inside. He had a ruthless ex-wife, bad diabetes, and wasn't really healthy enough to do manual labor. But he did, doing the only thing he knew: tailoring. And later on when he started to develop the shakes: working at Home Depot.

Ironically, I learned how to budget and save money because of this woman. And luckily, I speak math. Everything is a plus/minus game. It isn't hard to figure it out. But when you think that all you should get is a plus, then forget everything else. I've earned this free shit to which I'm entitled.

And this contingent of people will always exist everywhere. They just have no shame. But it will never be eradicated. And when a good program that's meant to help out people is overrun with assholes, then the system gets spoiled and suddenly bombastic ideals like drug testing those on welfare get brought up and, in a sort of disgusting way, you feel yourself agreeing to such a proposition. My mother had welfare. And WIC. She still has Section 8 to this day. But she never, ever used drugs. Not even alcohol. So what does her giving blood or piss to the state prove? There's no legal precedent you can set for someone that needs a change of attitude.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.