Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by tennbengal »

So...I have taped it, but haven't watched it, but read the reviews. As I understand it:

1. After building up to Barnie and Robin and the wedding for years and spending a whole season on it this year, they end that marriage in 1/2 an hour the episode after the wedding.

2. They really do kill off the mother, after making everyone buy into how great she is (the actress for her was pretty damn awesome and perfect for Ted's character).

3. The show ends with him making another run at Aunt Robin?

That's just really shitty.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The show ends with him making another run at Aunt Robin?
Yeah, well the gist is that he wasn't telling the kids this story this whole time to explain how he met their mother as 99% of it had nothing to do with her mother. It was to ask them if they mind if he asks out Aunt Robin.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I loved the ending. Not sorry. Don't care what the internet says. This has been the one show I've watched since episode 1. I watched it through college, before we had DVRs, never missed an episode. I was more invested in this that most people I know, and I loved the crap out of that hour of television.

Legen....wait for it...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:I loved the ending. Not sorry. Don't care what the internet says. This has been the one show I've watched since episode 1. I watched it through college, before we had DVRs, never missed an episode. I was more invested in this that most people I know, and I loved the crap out of that hour of television.

Legen....wait for it...
Dary. I kind of liked the episode. Wrapped everything up nicely. I think I would have preferred a season of Ted with the eventual wife, but in the end, like the kids said, the story was always about Robin. It sort of wouldn't make sense for it to end any other way. There is no way Robin and Barney would have worked in reality. It does seem kind of fucked up from the kids perspective. Their father was always in love with Aunt Robin, and they are all excited and pushing him to go for her? Maybe, what do I know. I also liked how they slipped in some long-running jokes. Got one more Major joke, Marshall paying Lilly because Ted is getting married and presumably not getting together with Robin, and Lilly adding the bill to a huge wad of cash. I also liked the last rooftop party and closing out the apartment, Ted living in the Westchester house with his family.

As for Argentina, I know they showed that scene before, but I can't remember the context. Was it to show Barney in Robin would be together to throw us off the scent? Speaking of, the final scene with the kids had to have been filmed many years ago, so the entire point of the show had to be that Ted and Robin would get together in 2030. I think that is pretty cool, because throughout the run of the show, I was under the impression that the writers and producers didn't really know where they are going. I guess they did when they introduced the yellow umbrella.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Test Ride the Sybian wrote:
ljam1.5 wrote:Didn't see it, so I'll start a temp one here.

Did anyone else see the complete moprons on The Amazing Race? It made the kids on Jeopardy last month who all ended up with zero look like Kasparov in comparison.
That is one reality show I probably would like, but never watched.
My wife got me into a couple of seasons ago. I generally like it especially rooting against the stupid youtube team.

I do have a bit of a problem with the selections for this year, there are a couple teams that had been selected three times. Twice I can understand but seeing an annoying ass team three times is a bit much.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:I thought this was the best wrap-up (both pro and con) of the series and series finale.

Touches on a lot of my issues with it at least.
It did feel like a pie to the face I'll agree to that!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I love the suggested ending put forward in the first comment:

Ted stays in NY after meeting Tracy. Marshall and Lily move to Rome or whatever and Barney and Robin travel around doing her news thing. The mother gets sick and dies when the kids are very young. Ted is heartbroken. Marshmallow, Lilypad, Scherbatsky, and Swarley all then return to NY to help Ted raise his kids. The four friends are all the "mother". That's why all of his stories are about them. Even though the show may have been intended to be about Ted and his search for the right woman (that was apparently Robin all along) , what the show actually turned out to be about was the enduring, unbreakable friendship between the five main characters, and Ted's story is intended to tell his kids all about the most important people in his, and their, lives. The end. Boom, fixed it for you.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I enjoyed it. I hate the story for Ted, but that doesn't mean it has to wrapped up in a nice bow. Life sucks, but he was using this as a way to ask permission from his kids to move on and I thought that was nice. It's heartbreaking to me since it's literally my worst fear.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I figured since Ted's daughter must be all grown up now, I'd see what she looked like. HOLY FUCK is she hot!

-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:I figured since Ted's daughter must be all grown up now, I'd see what she looked like. HOLY FUCK is she hot!
Do yourself a favor and find her ice cream video.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And for those of you with kids, the son is the oldest kid on The Wizards of Waverly Place. Can't believe I didn't notice that.

I'm sure my view of HIMYM is completely different than BSF. The show started the year I got married and left New York for the burbs. I viewed the show as nostalgia for what I was leaving. I moved the same month the pilot premiered, and now I am 9 years removed from leaving their life. I can totally relate to the group breakup and rarely seeing each other aspects of the finale and when Marshall and Lily had their baby. As a college student, BSF looked at them as his future. Friends started my freshman year of college, and the characters seemed so old to me, and I couldn't relate to their lives, but Jennifer Aniston and all the girls in my dorm lounge, so I watched. Looking at it now, they same like kids in the early episodes. A very young Aniston working at the coffee shop in a short skirt with black stockings? Timeless.
-Pruitt
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Giff wrote:I enjoyed it. I hate the story for Ted, but that doesn't mean it has to wrapped up in a nice bow. Life sucks, but he was using this as a way to ask permission from his kids to move on and I thought that was nice.
It wasn't a great finale but I'm with Giff - overall very enjoyable.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Raylan was a bit of a dick last night.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
Do yourself a favor and find her ice cream video.

Mmmm, chocolate.

-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:Raylan was a bit of a dick last night.
When is he not? That's one of the most enjoyable aspects of that show to me -- watching Raylan be an ass to everyone.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:And for those of you with kids, the son is the oldest kid on The Wizards of Waverly Place. Can't believe I didn't notice that.

I'm sure my view of HIMYM is completely different than BSF. The show started the year I got married and left New York for the burbs. I viewed the show as nostalgia for what I was leaving. I moved the same month the pilot premiered, and now I am 9 years removed from leaving their life. I can totally relate to the group breakup and rarely seeing each other aspects of the finale and when Marshall and Lily had their baby. As a college student, BSF looked at them as his future. Friends started my freshman year of college, and the characters seemed so old to me, and I couldn't relate to their lives, but Jennifer Aniston and all the girls in my dorm lounge, so I watched. Looking at it now, they same like kids in the early episodes. A very young Aniston working at the coffee shop in a short skirt with black stockings? Timeless.

It is an interesting point you bring up about how the show as a whole could be viewed by different age demos.

It is not a secret I am still one of the younger guys on the board (And still a 9ish year vet mind you), and to me I grew through my 20s with this show. I was a little younger than Ted when the show started but I could relate to all of it. Chicks coming and going. Highs and lows with careers and personal affairs. My best friend married his high school sweetheart and we drifted.

Even in the later episodes I saw my life in it. People finally settling down. Some got married and had kids. Some traveled the world for work or pleasure. I was (I hope) a less douchey version of Ted. Never found the right girl. Never knew what the next step was. Spent a LOT of time at MacLaren's like establishments. Was scared of the future so I bought a house. Still in my city, still waiting.

It was a sitcom. And a dopey one at that. But the story they told was so accurate to 20somethings. And at the end it was a really pretty tale of how it doesn't always work out the way you want it to, but if you stop to find yourself in the moment you realize that most of the time, you're right where you need to be.

/scene.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:
When is he not? That's one of the most enjoyable aspects of that show to me -- watching Raylan be an ass to everyone.
Raylan's bullshit tolerance has always been low, but I like where this is taking him. I'm having a bit of trouble identifying what is driving him to be that way this season, but it's still been fantastic.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote:
brian wrote:
Raylan's bullshit tolerance has always been low, but I like where this is taking him. I'm having a bit of trouble identifying what is driving him to be that way this season, but it's still been fantastic.
I think he's pissed at himself for letting down Art, and pissed at himself and just about everyone else (maybe not Rachel and Tim) that Art got shot.

While I really haven't enjoyed Ava's storyline this season, I thought Raylan threatening to allow her to be killed in prison was a little too dickish. I'm OK with the move on Kendall at the end of the episode, because the Crowe's were the one that made that play to begin with, and he's calling them on it.

Also, anus.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
brian wrote: When is he not? That's one of the most enjoyable aspects of that show to me -- watching Raylan be an ass to everyone.
I think he's pissed at himself for letting down Art, and pissed at himself and just about everyone else (maybe not Rachel and Tim) that Art got shot.

While I really haven't enjoyed Ava's storyline this season, I thought Raylan threatening to allow her to be killed in prison was a little too dickish. I'm OK with the move on Kendall at the end of the episode, because the Crowe's were the one that made that play to begin with, and he's calling them on it.

Also, anus.
The Kendall thing is almost too heartbreaking to watch even on TV. Shit like that happens EVERY DAY. Growing up in a shitty environment, raised to believe that criminal activity is as commonplace as your mom and dad going to the factory every day. There are too many real life Daryl Crowe Jrs who would gladly throw a child's future away for the shot at a score or to get away clean.

The actor who is portraying him deserves a great amount of credit.

BTW, regardless of what happened with Nicky Augustine, it is Art's fault that Art got shot. He handled the whole situation like a child and put himself in the crossfire by doing so. He and Raylan have always had a contentious relationship, but why sucker punch him and go into full 4 year old mode?

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:

It is an interesting point you bring up about how the show as a whole could be viewed by different age demos.

It is not a secret I am still one of the younger guys on the board (And still a 9ish year vet mind you), and to me I grew through my 20s with this show. I was a little younger than Ted when the show started but I could relate to all of it. Chicks coming and going. Highs and lows with careers and personal affairs. My best friend married his high school sweetheart and we drifted.

Even in the later episodes I saw my life in it. People finally settling down. Some got married and had kids. Some traveled the world for work or pleasure. I was (I hope) a less douchey version of Ted. Never found the right girl. Never knew what the next step was. Spent a LOT of time at MacLaren's like establishments. Was scared of the future so I bought a house. Still in my city, still waiting.

It was a sitcom. And a dopey one at that. But the story they told was so accurate to 20somethings. And at the end it was a really pretty tale of how it doesn't always work out the way you want it to, but if you stop to find yourself in the moment you realize that most of the time, you're right where you need to be.

/scene.

Beautiful post. I thought you were engaged, no?
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

/scene.

Beautiful post. I thought you were engaged, no?
Nah but the one I've got on the line is certainly a solid contender for the position.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Don't ever forget you're fucking a guy, man.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Don't forget HBO is free this weekend to get everyone to sign up after Game of Thrones premiere sunday. Doesn't include HBOGO but does include on demand. Looks like I'm losing a good chunk of my weekend to True Detective.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I gave up on HIMYM a couple of seasons ago, so I didn't watch the Finale. But I do want to add that Josh Radnor (Ted) was on WTF with Maron last week, and he was great.
howard
Karl Hungus

Sunday Night Television

Post by howard »

Watching tv all evening on Sundays has become my habit. But I'm thrown this week. No more Walking Dead, Girls ended last week, True Detective but a memory, I'm not a Thrones fan and I am reluctant to try and catch up and join that fun.

OTOH, Giants on Sunday Nite Baseball, I am reminded Joe Morgan is gone, so is Bobby V, so I can watch even when other teams are feature, how bad can John Kruk be?. Veep returns. And Silicon Valley premiers. I had no interest in Hollywood's take on the tech industry as entertainment, either as drama or comedy. But…i was informed this is a Mike Judge comedy. Hence, I am expecting greatness; he has never let me down. heh heh…heh heh.

And Mad Men is back, set in Cali, next week.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I started watching Scandal at the start of last season after catching an hour long recap.

Just loved it - over the top and insane, it was a great show to watch with my wife.

But I've kind of lost interest - the stylistic flourishes are starting to grate, and for a supposedly smart woman, Olivia Pope is really, really stupid.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Sunday Night Television

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:

Such a weird premiere. The whole Shannon Tate angle with the house in the valley, everyone (except Peggy) seeming better off, or at least trying to be. Looks like January '69 as the start.

Great Spencer Davis Group entrance for Don, btw.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Sunday Night Television

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote:
howard wrote:

Such a weird premiere. The whole Shannon Tate angle with the house in the valley, everyone (except Peggy) seeming better off, or at least trying to be. Looks like January '69 as the start.

Great Spencer Davis Group entrance for Don, btw.
I wanna party with Roger Sterling...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watched the premiere of Fargo tonight. I thought it was awesome. Different from the movie, albeit with some clear parallels. Billy Bob Thornton was really good.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A poem for Valentines Day 1969...
Roses are red;
Violets are blue;
Give Dawn a hard time?
Fuck you, Lou!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote:A poem for Valentines Day 1969...
Roses are red;
Violets are blue;
Give Dawn a hard time?
Fuck you, Lou!
The "Dawn/Shirley" interchanges were fantastic. And let me say I'm a big fan of Shirley's mini skirt.

Stan is quickly moving up on Roger for the funny one liners. The "Valentines Day: Masturbate gloomily" line was a killer, but almost as good was about the flowers "I'm surprised your cat could afford them"...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The "Don Draper Fingerbang threat level" is going to be off the charts after that episode...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff and I were discussing Fargo on fb. Four episodes in, now, and the show is still awesome.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:Giff and I were discussing Fargo on fb. Four episodes in, now, and the show is still awesome.
How awesome was the beginning of the last episode? Loved the direct tie to the movie.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Californication has been on for 5 weeks and I just found this out yesterday.

Mmmmmm, Heather Graham.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My 10 year old and I have been watching the current season of "Amazing Race" together.

We both agree that if Brendon and Rachel win tonight, we will burn down the CBS headquarters...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:My 10 year old and I have been watching the current season of "Amazing Race" together.

We both agree that if Brendon and Rachel win tonight, we will burn down the CBS headquarters...
My wife and I thought the same thing. I held most of my hatred for her, but after the almost taxi incident I realized how much of an ass he was as well.

I know that this was an "All-Star" season, but they had made the finals before no reason that they should have been back, though they may have selected them because they are hated.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:My 10 year old and I have been watching the current season of "Amazing Race" together.

My wife and I thought the same thing. I held most of my hatred for her, but after the almost taxi incident I realized how much of an ass he was as well.

I know that this was an "All-Star" season, but they had made the finals before no reason that they should have been back, though they may have selected them because they are hated.
I was pretty happy with who won. I would have been happy with the other team as well.

And yes, I thought for a while that Brendon wasn't that bad, but then I thought "wait...he married her...somethings wrong with him". And the trying to steal the cab was the final straw.

I did make the prediction that they'll be divorced within 3 years...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:we will burn down the CBS headquarters...
There is a nice a family activity. Odds heavily favored her mother to lead this activity, though.
-Pruitt