NBA Draft/Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NBA Draft/Offseason

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:
Seems like about the same length as the soccer training camps, and those guys practice and play more regularly. What I can't figure out is why they are randomly visiting Senegal right before the tourney. Yo guys, Ebola. At least they're avoiding Atlanta, I guess.

It does, but I have a hard time believing it's as important in Basketball to have them play together that much. It's goign to be a benefit for Rose who needed basketball fitness, but it sure seems like a drag on the time of the Durants/Hardens/Walls of the world. If I were and NBA team I wouldn't care that much for the mileage.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Radio swamp silence on the Spurs' new hire? I'm totally hot for Becky Hammon.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't see why there has to be such a big deal about her being a woman. If you want to be treated like everyone else, just act like everyone else and don't draw attention to yourself. Byron Scott was hired as a head coach last week and he didn't make a big deal about being a man, right? Its not that I have a problem with it, but who cares? What you are under your pants is your thing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I may have to root for the Spurs. Just because they made that hire and did it so matter-of-factly, which is awesome.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Best-run organization in sports. She's definitely cute enough for Tony Parker to fuck. But only if she's married.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Regarding Becky Hammon, all I have to say is = Colorado State Rams... represent!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:Regarding Becky Hammon, all I have to say is = Colorado State Rams... represent!

You spelled Russian National team wrong.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Spurs are without a doubt the coolest sports team ever. If I didn't have other obligations, I'd follow them from town to town, like what used to happen with the Grateful Dead. Tape games on my videocam from the stands, and trade clips with other Spursheads. Of course, before the games I'd buy some local craft brews from a stranger in the parking. They have a mediocre night now and then when the collective creativity isn't there. But Tony, Pops, Manu, Jerry -- er, Timmy -- can ultimately do no wrong.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:But Tony, Pops, Manu, Jerry -- er, Timmy -- can ultimately do no wrong.

I'm thinking Timmy is more like Phil. Steady, always at the right place, but can also crush it when called upon.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

True. But Tim put the ball in the basket many, many times every night. Like Jerry did. I suppose there's no perfect analogy. Except perhaps that Steven Jackson was Brent Mydland.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DC47 wrote:The Spurs are without a doubt the coolest sports team ever. If I didn't have other obligations, I'd follow them from town to town, like what used to happen with the Grateful Dead. Tape games on my videocam from the stands, and trade clips with other Spursheads. Of course, before the games I'd buy some local craft brews from a stranger in the parking. They have a mediocre night now and then when the collective creativity isn't there. But Tony, Pops, Manu, Jerry -- er, Timmy -- can ultimately do no wrong.
That was fucking awesome.

DC47 wrote:True. But Tim put the ball in the basket many, many times every night. Like Jerry did. I suppose there's no perfect analogy. Except perhaps that Steven Jackson was Brent Mydland.
Robinson = Pigpen?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Greg Oden was arrested for battery last night. Sucks for him, but it's awesome for us because of this wonderful mug shot:

Ohio State = total class
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ten years from now, there'll be an Oden feature on "40 for 40."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting the Cavs and T-Wolves have agreed in principle to a trade that will send Kevin Love to the Cavs for Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a protected first-round pick. Love also has agreed to opt out of his contract in 2015 in return for a five-year, $120 million deal with the Cavs.

The trade can't be finalized until Aug. 23 because they signed Wiggins last month and he can't be traded for 30 days.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sooo ... has a team ever added a better tandem in the same offseason? Maybe in any sport?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Sooo ... has a team ever added a better tandem in the same offseason? Maybe in any sport?
Second place would probably be Lebron/Bosh to the heat in 2010. According to Hollinger's stats, Lebron was 1 in 2010, Bosh 4...Lebron was 2 last year and Love 3.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

McHale/Parrish (HOFer, but joined before their primes)
LeBron/Bosh (Unless Loves turns into a bust)
Schilling/Foulke (played important roles and wonderful personalities)

After extensive research, I'm going with no.

Edit: Unless, I'm reading Hockey-Reference wrong (which is highly likely), it looks like Messier and Gretzky signed with the Oilers the same year with Gretzky joining Edmonton one year earlier. Again before their primes and rookie call-ups, but impressive nonetheless.
Last edited by EdRomero on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Hmm. On one hand, they are building another financially inflexible 3-headed monster that eventually doomed Miami. On the other hand, it did get Miami to 4 Finals appearances, two wins and you have Love long term. As much as I would have liked the prospect of Wiggins + LeBron + max guy next offseason, and as much as I read this will force LeBron to play a lot of defense and could wear him down...that's hard to pass up.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This just seems as close as you can possibly get to a guarantee. Its like adding McCarthy AND Headley AND Drew AND Prado all around the same trade deadline, but in one human person body.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Gunpowder wrote:Hmm. On one hand, they are building another financially inflexible 3-headed monster that eventually doomed Miami. On the other hand, it did get Miami to 4 Finals appearances, two wins and you have Love long term. As much as I would have liked the prospect of Wiggins + LeBron + max guy next offseason, and as much as I read this will force LeBron to play a lot of defense and could wear him down...that's hard to pass up.
The frustrating thing judging this trade in the future is we'll have no idea how different Wiggins's development would be playing with LeBron rather than a lousy team. He could be a player that turns into a star no matter what his team situation is, but I wonder how many players out there would have turned into much better players if they were put in the right situation (or vice versa - what happens to Scottie Pippen if the Sonics don't trade him to the Bulls?)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote:Hmm. On one hand, they are building another financially inflexible 3-headed monster that eventually doomed Miami. On the other hand, it did get Miami to 4 Finals appearances, two wins and you have Love long term. As much as I would have liked the prospect of Wiggins + LeBron + max guy next offseason, and as much as I read this will force LeBron to play a lot of defense and could wear him down...that's hard to pass up.

Yeah, it can't be discounted that Lebron upgraded his running mates just in age alone. I think the pursuit of Marion is to help Lebron with defensive duties. Lebron has a new five year window, and I really think the Cavs are gonna be tough to beat next year. Not in two or three, but now.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'll go ahead and call the Cavs favorites to be champions next year if the Love deal goes through. Those thinking they need more pieces--remember, people thought the Heat wouldn't be deep enough to win it all in LeBron's first year, and then they came within two games of doing just that.

The only wild cards are if Blatt turns out to be just a disastrous, incompetent coach (unlikely) or if Irving is a head case who can't coexist with bigger stars (slightly less unlikely, but not really).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

rass wrote:
DC47 wrote:The Spurs are without a doubt the coolest sports team ever. If I didn't have other obligations, I'd follow them from town to town, like what used to happen with the Grateful Dead. Tape games on my videocam from the stands, and trade clips with other Spursheads. Of course, before the games I'd buy some local craft brews from a stranger in the parking. They have a mediocre night now and then when the collective creativity isn't there. But Tony, Pops, Manu, Jerry -- er, Timmy -- can ultimately do no wrong.
That was fucking awesome.

DC47 wrote:True. But Tim put the ball in the basket many, many times every night. Like Jerry did. I suppose there's no perfect analogy. Except perhaps that Steven Jackson was Brent Mydland.
Robinson = Pigpen?
Helped to set the tone at the beginning, but left the scene too soon.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Irving needs to stay healthy and Love's had issues with that as well (not to mention his defense). They'll for sure come out of the East, but I don't know if they would be favorites over Spurs, Thunder or Clippers.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Giff wrote:Irving needs to stay healthy and Love's had issues with that as well (not to mention his defense). They'll for sure come out of the East, but I don't know if they would be favorites over Spurs, Thunder or Clippers.

They may not be the favorites, but if they can get out of the East say in 3 of the next 4 years or so, they may not need to be.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote:
Giff wrote:Irving needs to stay healthy and Love's had issues with that as well (not to mention his defense). They'll for sure come out of the East, but I don't know if they would be favorites over Spurs, Thunder or Clippers.

They may not be the favorites, but if they can get out of the East say in 3 of the next 4 years or so, they may not need to be.
Well, when Durant joins HH in H-Town, we'll be the favorites!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I hear Durant is leaning Pistons. Grew up worshiping Dennis Rodman. After Rose and James tear up their knees in a collision going to the podium to pick up the 2014-15 MVP award, it looks like the Pistons will be favored for 2015-16 when he comes north next summer.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Durant is coming home to DC. He and Wall will do a dance and Cowherd's head will explode. All will be well when Cowherd's head explodes. Because he is an awful person.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rumours have begun - Wiggins to Toronto.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ ... omecoming/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote:Durant is coming home to DC. He and Wall will do a dance and Cowherd's head will explode. All will be well when Cowherd's head explodes. Because he is an awful person.
That's perfect for Cowherd. Either:

"WALL COULDN'T GET IT DONE WITHOUT DURANT CARRYING HIM!"

or

"TOLD YOU WALL WOULD NEVER WIN, HE CAN'T EVEN WIN WITH DURANT!"
Last edited by Gunpowder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote:Rumours have begun - Wiggins to Toronto.

"If Toronto's brain trust doesn't accomplish something that has never happened with any young superstar NBA player ever, they are terrible salesmen"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote:

"If Toronto's brain trust doesn't accomplish something that has never happened with any young superstar NBA player ever, they are terrible salesmen"
Yeah, I wouldn't call them rumors so much as the lunatic rantings of someone who obviously has no idea how professional sports work.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/metta-wor ... -friend/#0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ron artest changed his name to Panda Friend. no commentary, just stating a fact.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I will find a Panda Friend jersey if it kills me
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Bitching out on a national team really brings out the mouthbreather in me. That is some weak sauce.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't call them rumours so much as the lunatic rantings of someone who obviously has no idea how professional sports work.
Most likely, but the rumour is getting big time traction.

A few Toronto NBA reporters seem to understand what goes on - others are just hockey writers who missed out on getting the Leafs gig.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote:Bitching out on a national team really brings out the mouthbreather in me. That is some weak sauce.
Yeah? Because I am completely the opposite on this one. Could care less about whatever BS tourney this is, not sure why any of them risk their health on it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote:
Rex wrote:Bitching out on a national team really brings out the mouthbreather in me. That is some weak sauce.
Yeah? Because I am completely the opposite on this one. Could care less about whatever BS tourney this is, not sure why any of them risk their health on it.
Except that he waited until after final cuts to go ahead and quit. I get being tired and whatnot, but why now? It seems that once you go through tryouts and take a spot, you've made an obligation to the team (not to mention your country).
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My guess is that 50 year old Kevin Durant won't ever look at his trophy case and lament the open space where a FIBA World Cup gold medal could have been. The "why now" part is probably 100% attributable to repeatedly thinking about Paul George's leg snapping in half.