Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Never had a clue, just thought they were the Monkees on surfboards.
Pretty much the same for me. Then I listened to a Maron interview with the son of a member of the Wrecking Crew studio musicians. They sat in and played on a very shocking (to me) number of albums. He claimed that the Wrecking Crew played a significant amount of the instrumentals on Beach Boy albums. His take is that the session musicians basically created all of the improv and variations and artistic aspects, while the real band tries to copy the session musicians playing. Going to have to give Pet Sounds a good listen now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote:Digging the new Gaslight Anthem album.
You're going to want to steer clear of the Pitchfork review.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Man, I just can't stand the Beach Boys.

Something about them really shredded my nerves as a kid. (They were already an oldies act back then).
This is a not unusual feeling. I felt the same way. Then I listened (really listened, from beginning to end) to Pet Sounds and my mind was blown.
I will give it a listen then.

Thing is, enough people I like and respect appreciate the Beach Boys, so it's probably a case of "it's not them, it's me."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am currently loving this album. A reissue of some bizarre old Brazillian album.

Just screams "Summer" to me.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:
Another band I've never listened to, so I just gave the whole album a spin. Here's my completely unbiased and objective break-down:

Stay Vicious - Pretty sick riff. Nice full sound w/ good melody. Overused, slightly disjointed slow-downs/breaks. Good attention-grabber for an opening song. Prefer the verse parts over the chorus.

1,000 Years - Pretty standard riffage. Going for the obvious catchy hook, may work for some, kinda meh for me. Weird keyboard interlude. Don't hate it, though.

Get Hurt - Get bent. This is awful. Skipped.

Stray Paper - Is this Foreigner?

Helter Skeleton - Nice slice of post-punk Americana. Good god, more slow breaks. Starting to piss me off. Not altogether a horrible song though.

Underneath The Ground - Not sure I like this dude's vocal style. Sounds like he's trying to hit certain inflections rather than singing naturally.

Rollin' and Tumblin' - HIs vocals are definitely better in the pseudo-scream range. This song is passable, although it reminds me a lot of mid-2000's sensitive-guy "alternative".

Red Violins - Started kind of unique and I thought there might be something cool going on, then it quickly descended into generic radio-rock.

Selected Poems - Kinda tuned this one out. Sounded the same as the last one.

Ain't That A Shame - Nice stomp n' roll groove to begin. More of the same tempo changes and dramatic vocals, though.

Break Your Heart - These guys can write catchy tunes, that's for sure. Just seems like ground that has been tread over and over again. Chicks will dig this. Not really a bad track.

Dark Places - Now they're just playing for the sake of playing. They've run out of ideas.

Mama's Boys - This isn't bad. I can dig on this.

Sweet Morphine - Meh.

Halloween - Sentimental nonsense.

Anywhere I Lay My Head - Points for showing more versatility in their sound. Could've used more of that peppered throughout the album. A good closer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't understand why a good subsection of people who enjoy the music I enjoy also enjoy Lana Del Ray. What's the appeal here?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Don't know. Heard of her, have not heard her.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Simplistic commentaries on modern materialism over boring sound in a pretty package.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Simplistic commentaries on modern materialism over boring sound in a pretty package.
Sounds like Arcade Fire.

ETA - sounds more like Arcade Fire if you switch "boring" and "pretty"
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds about right, present day. I was never a superfan by any means, but I feel like Arcade Fire was once solid (though overrated) then turned into goofball crap. She's been always goofball crap.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:
IOW, do what I do every day?
mister d wrote:I don't understand why a good subsection of people who enjoy the music I enjoy also enjoy Lana Del Ray. What's the appeal here?
I was this close to checking her out after the RS article, but I didn't. Have only heard that West Coast song on XM and thought it was awful. I've enjoyed some of Auberbach's producing though (Dr. John!), so that's why I thought about. Spotify makes it easy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Sounds about right, present day. I was never a superfan by any means, but I feel like Arcade Fire was once solid (though overrated) then turned into goofball crap. She's been always goofball crap.
Agree on AF.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Hippity hop & a weasel going pop? Check.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

University of Western Ontario sucks. Guelph FTW!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jason Isbell favorited one of my Tweets. I should pretty much just drop the mic at this point and retire from Twitter.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Hippity hop & a weasel going pop? Check.

How did I not know this existed? Worse, how was this nominated for a Juno? Is Canada really that short of musical talent?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I got a response from Ryan Bingham the other day and it made my night, which made me sad and then ruined my night.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:I got a response from Ryan Bingham the other day and it made my night, which made me sad and then ruined my night.
??
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:I got a response from Ryan Bingham the other day and it made my night, which made me sad and then ruined my night.
??
Sad that a tweet from a singer would make my night. Not that his response made me sad. And I was just joking, I was totally pumped he did that.

I'm seeing him in the same venue in San Antonio where I saw Rage Against the Machine back in 96. Asked him if I could still mosh and he responded "hell yes".
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Hippity hop & a weasel going pop? Check.

How did I not know this existed? Worse, how was this nominated for a Juno? Is Canada really that short of musical talent?
In retrospect it sucks, but its just as good as 3rd Bass and the other shit around at the time (and much better than Brian Adams and Celine.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
??
Sad that a tweet from a singer would make my night. Not that his response made me sad. And I was just joking, I was totally pumped he did that.

I'm seeing him in the same venue in San Antonio where I saw Rage Against the Machine back in 96. Asked him if I could still mosh and he responded "hell yes".
I tracked it, and you down! He puts on the best show I have ever seen that didn't involve Eric Clapton.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote: I tracked it, and you down! He puts on the best show I have ever seen that didn't involve Eric Clapton.
I've only seen him from a distance at ACL while I was watching football. It was completely different than I expected. Any time he's come close to Texas since I've been out of town/state, so I'm really freaking pumped. Plus it's a pretty awesome venue Image
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Preview of the new Shovels & Rope album on NPR.

On first listen, pretty goddamn good. This might end up being the best year for albums in the last four or five at least.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Funny, I kind of think it sucks even if it has picked up steam. I'm about halfway through going back and listening to all I've Spotified this year and haven't already deleted.

2012 to me was awesome.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm w/ my man B. Best year since 2010.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Preview of the new Shovels & Rope album on NPR.

On first listen, pretty goddamn good. This might end up being the best year for albums in the last four or five at least.
I believe NPR also has their live set from Newport Folk Festival up on the site. Might want to check that out.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I saw them opening for Hayes Carll once...their live show is really slick.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB_skin_test wrote:I saw them opening for Hayes Carll once...their live show is really slick.
I can't tell if that's good or bad, or if AB is just 75 years old.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Their show was the bee's knees!

Is that better, whippersnapper?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:Preview of the new Shovels & Rope album on NPR.

I believe NPR also has their live set from Newport Folk Festival up on the site. Might want to check that out.
Ty Seagall's new album is friggin' stellar (and also available on first listen.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As always, RIP Jeff Hanneman...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Last week I bought my first physical CD in I don't know how long, and my first movie soundtrack in even longer than that. In related news, welcome krunchyfrogg.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

This is good.

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

U2 just released a surprise album today. And it's free on iTunes, I think. If I can figure it out. I'm old.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EdRomero wrote:U2 just released a surprise album today. And it's free on iTunes, I think. If I can figure it out. I'm old.
Ha, yeah it took me a little longer than it should have too. Between that and new releases from Delta Spirit, Ryan Adams, Interpol and Justin Townes Earle, 9/9/14 was a great new music day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, 09-09-2004...14 ... something ...
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EdRomero wrote:U2 just released a surprise album today. And it's free on iTunes, I think. If I can figure it out. I'm old.
Really liking this album, especially Iris. Weird Al is working on catchy lyrics that go with ISIS
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Loved this song the first time i heard it cause it sounded cool, then i listened to the lyrics the second time round. She just sings about being a slut. Pretty rude song but worth checking out, very honest version of what horny girls think... i think...she fucks bears!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know albums you're enjoying now but think you could dislike later? Or where a follow-up album or prior album might make you question why you liked the initial album? Strand of Oaks is sitting in that slot for me right now. If Bon Iver sits 3/4 of the way towards Iron & Wine between Iron & Wine and dopey folk like Mumford & Sons, maybe this sits like 3/4 way between Bon Iver and Mumford & Sons? I don't know. Some of it sounds great, some of it sounds dumb and usually dumb spots on albums irk me more over time. Also, he might be dead in a few years from the few profiles I've read. Also, I expect this will pick up some major play if its not already.

Pitchfork review (7.9): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/195 ... oaks-heal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depressing Spin profile: http://www.spin.com/articles/you-gotta- ... is-demons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;